Hi everyone. This site has been a huge part of my life over the years and helped me discover massive amounts of great music. I've enjoyed crafting reviews (a lot of them silly) and interacting with other people. I don't visit like I used to as we all get older and distracted with this thing called life. I just wanted to float a topic and see what members still visit and how many new fans of psytrance are here. I'll start:

Mdk from USA!

Mdk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey there.
still visiting from time to time, but not posting much (it somehow feels like necroing an old thread…)

how do you all find out about new music now? when psynews was more active all important releases were discussed here. i find i'm missing lots of good releases now.

This is a regular place for me to stop by.
Don't always have much to contribute. After I stopped hosting a weekly radio show and writing regular music reviews, I am a bit less extroverted with content and things to say but my last name is Goa and I will always want to consume, learn, and interact in some way.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2023 at 3:17 PM, Padmapani said:

how do you all find out about new music now? when psynews was more active all important releases were discussed here. i find i'm missing lots of good releases now.

Well, considering that around 90% of my email inbox traffic is from Bandcamp, there's your answer.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:35 PM, Proxeeus said:

I'm always lurking 

On Yuggoth?

But yeah, I check the forums roughly once or twice a week, often less than that too, sometimes more.
I just feel I don't have much to say anymore.

• Like 1

Yeah still here, for me I don't feel like the facebook algos help in getting a good overview of the current flow of releases. So this is the only place for me to get a broader view of what people are listening to these days. And to see what new releases are in the making. Facebook really only gives me a limited peek into a few select labels I follow. It's better than nothing for sure. Here I think the views and impressions are a bit more varied overall, since obviously if you're following a label on facebook you're probably a die-hard fan. :P 

I've always appreciated the people here who are finely attuned into all things Psytrance. Who knows and obsess over all the details, so observing here has lead to many discoveries! I really think I miss out on a lot of the stuff on Soundcloud and Bandcamp. I don't browse/use those sites much, more than when there is a link from this site. Perhaps I should get more invested in those? :D The soundcloud interface/app is more appealing to me atleast than Bandcamp from a mere visual/interaction GUI perspective. It's kinda snazzy actually yeah.. (clicking around in the app).

On 6/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, Padmapani said:

hey there.
still visiting from time to time, but not posting much (it somehow feels like necroing an old thread…)

Please necro old threads. 🙂

Also yes, I don't know what new releases to check out cause the forums are so empty now 😐

• Like 1

I pop by to have a look once a week at least. Lots of re-evaluation of what is important in life means different interests come and go and have different free time given to them. I am floating around and less committed to many things other than work these days. I will always enjoy a psy trance party but believe I am mellowing out a bit, enjoying a walk as much as anything. Most things you like are as good as any other thing your like, the focus changes day to day, week to week, month by month and so on. I am off the music making for now, I have exhausted everything I have to say in psy trance for now. It is not necessarily the end of music making or listening, just breathing other areas of life in, nothing particularly exciting but more relaxed I supposed, no words of wisdom to share.

That's life I guess.

• Like 1

Bandcamp subscriptions and Discogs deep dives (especially when pivoting around the real names behind projects) are powerful ways of discovering new music. These days I'm especially interested in the psytrance and Goa manifesting in the rave revivalist underground (for lack of a better term)... there's a parallel universe of sound out there that isn't merely retreading Etnica and Dimension 5 ad nauseum, and it's quite fascinating to go rooting around to find the gems, which ultimately feed into mixcraft. I'd like to think that there's more to music fandom in the 2020s than sharing YouTube links in a Facebook group, ya know?

• Like 1

@Trance2MoveU glad to see you around. Always miss your contribution when they aren't around

Still here, not much new album info coming in these days so only ever briefly (partly my fault). but boy does time disappear as you get older. 

Mostly using Bandcamp to find new releases as I'm across most the labels. 

• Like 2

Not sure how accurate all the predictions/observations are in this article. It touches upon some things I feel are relevant with regards to some recent developments/changes in social spaces online, forums/facebook/reddit etc:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/3/23782607/social-web-public-apps-end-reddit-twitter-mastodon

I personally think a big issue with facebook is what an un-moderated mess it is. I mean it's not the most inspiring environment to have discussions in. There are some OK groups of course with decent moderation. But as a whole it's a bit messy. :) 

So what effect do you people think AI will have on overall participation online? Since a big part of participation is to ask questions/learn things. Which AI obviously excells at, maybe the human touch/humour will still be more enticing overall than the robotic AI? :D  

Would be fun as an experiment to have a couple of undercover AI bots as users on the forum and see if anyone noticed. 

Reply to Parasphere.. I left Facebook nearly 2 years ago. I feel so much better for that even though I feel I miss the online company of quite a few people. The extreme filtering of people's life is not more real than not knowing anything about what they are doing. It's a highly edited, false representation of people's lives. It is also very strange to have such a wide mix of people that you know intimately, quite well, a bit, very little and hardly at all. I decided to control it and not let it control me. It is addictive in a very strange way and not many addictive things are good for us, hard to think of any actually.

I understand it as a business tool and for musicians/artists (still a business tool still in large part) there you can present the persona you need to present and not get overly personal. But for personal use I found it too demanding, addictive and strange to carry on with. Even real life with few people around is better than that, go out and look at some landscape, sky, nature a beach or something with the hours saved doing whatever the hell social media is. Slowly digital is becoming like a prison, a digital prison, like a lot of technology is, when you can no longer do anything in world without a mobile phone we are in great peril, vulnerable, weaker, easy to destabilize and disrupt.

This is not conspiratorial it's in plain sight.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, MikroMakro said:

Reply to Parasphere.. I left Facebook nearly 2 years ago. I feel so much better for that even though I feel I miss the online company of quite a few people. The extreme filtering of people's life is not more real than not knowing anything about what they are doing. It's a highly edited, false representation of people's lives. It is also very strange to have such a wide mix of people that you know intimately, quite well, a bit, very little and hardly at all. I decided to control it and not let it control me. It is addictive in a very strange way and not many addictive things are good for us, hard to think of any actually.

I understand it as a business tool and for musicians/artists (still a business tool still in large part) there you can present the persona you need to present and not get overly personal. But for personal use I found it too demanding, addictive and strange to carry on with. Even real life with few people around is better than that, go out and look at some landscape, sky, nature a beach or something with the hours saved doing whatever the hell social media is. Slowly digital is becoming like a prison, a digital prison, like a lot of technology is, when you can no longer do anything in world without a mobile phone we are in great peril, vulnerable, weaker, easy to destabilize and disrupt.

This is not conspiratorial it's in plain sight.

For sure I agree 100% I'd say the only part I feel is somewhat useful for me personally is the messenger part. But yeah with so many apps these days that do the exact same thing, it's not essential by any means for that purpose either. When Facebook messenger was new once upon a time, then it was quite a step up from the likes of MSN Messenger and whatever it was people used back then. I can't even remember all the apps/services. ICQ, MIRQ, Skype are those I remember most. 

But for sure as you pointed out, for people who use Facebook as a platform for their business/labels etc, that is probably were Facebook shines.

First time back in a very long while. I've been listening to Goa/Psy the whole time, but I haven't been keeping up with newer stuff. I think it just got to a point that I had enough music to listen to for a lifetime. Was going down a rabbit hole tonight on YouTube and Discogs and thought I'd drop back in.

I kind of fell out of the social scene after the music seemed to be splintering. It was getting too fast and weird. And even the traditional stuff from the likes of Suntrip and others couldn't match the old stuff. So I dropped out. RTP linked a Koxbox/Sandman track in another thread that makes me think things are still okay.

So cool to be back. Hello. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I try to visit from time to time but strangely whenever I try to log in from within Canada, where I live, I get a message saying I am banned. Maybe there are some IP restrictions which prevent anyone from Canada to access the forum? Any moderator can help with that? 

I am unable to view this forum from my phone when on the digital signal. Wifi works great. Admin appears to have banned the entirety of T-Mobile's service though. Maybe that the same issue you're having @JISNEGRO

Hi guys, I am also still here, mostly stealthing around, but I have a desire to contribute more... but I find my self running out of time, again  and again 😅

I can joint the Bandcamp choir, but I still feel I am missing some good stuff!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 5:11 PM, JISNEGRO said:

I try to visit from time to time but strangely whenever I try to log in from within Canada, where I live, I get a message saying I am banned. Maybe there are some IP restrictions which prevent anyone from Canada to access the forum? Any moderator can help with that? 

Weird hmm, @RTP @Penzoline could anyone of you in the mod/admin team check into the login issues of Jisnegro and the goa constrictor? And potentially other new and old visitors to the forum. Thanks! 🙏🏼 :) 

• Thanks 1