How the mighty have fallen. Pick the worst fall.

Ormion

Etnica / Pleiadians

boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Which legendary artist/group has become more crappy? Obviously IM are the number choice so choose someone else. :P

Actually I don't consider IM to be crappy, obviously they changed their direction from psytrance to more commercial friendly EDM genres long time ago. The only thing that I find crappy is the IM The Supervizaaa era, yeah, that's crappy psytrance. Not saying here that I like what they're doing now, ofc not.

Talamasca - Started writing much less intelligent music.. probably to increase bookings and go with the trends i guess. Even though he obviously can write good stuff back in the day.

Etnica

IM - I think they suck at what they are doing even

Space Tribe/Olli Wisdom

Etnica/Pleiadians, if that's really fair.

I don't think it's really fair to criticize those artists that made the full on attempt. Some made better full on than others. Cosmosis was never really goa trance aside from the first album and that had other members contributing to it besides Billy. I put Cosmosis sort of next to Electric Universe in that it's hard to define their stuff. Both did a lot of experimentation with different production styles and ideas before settling with generic full on.

Talamasca - Started writing much less intelligent music.. probably to increase bookings and go with the trends i guess. Even though he obviously can write good stuff back in the day.

Etnica

IM - I think they suck at what they are doing even

Space Tribe/Olli Wisdom

I never really liked space tribe that much to be honest. Or at least the several songs that I've listened to. The voice samples ruined the songs for me. Just what I think about him.

I stopped listening to Electric Universe after Waves, until last winter.

I was curious to hear what he was doing and I really really love it. While it is definitely kind of generic full-on, he seems to get that and plays with that form a lot. I feel that it is kind of meta and infused with really strange jokes and some interesting creativity.

As for an artist that I used to think was ballin' and now isn't, this is hard.

I definitely would put Etnica on that list but with half of the members not even in the group anymore, it's not really the same group and I don't really consider them the same group anymore.

Tim Healey has really been boring me lately. I dug on Coburn a lot but his last few years of electro house is quite trite.

While I really like Dick Treavor's personality and he is a great personable and nice bloke, I'm not really into his more recent releases. GNOTR, Green Oms, and Bumbling Loons were all great. His more recent stuff just doesn't do it for me in the same way. The tracks aren't necessarily bad, I just don't find them to be as engaging.

Simon/Hallucinogen. That last Younger Brother was terrible and I've just never really been grabbed by most Shpongle. Liked a few tracks at first but don't really care any more. I heard that he is working on a new solo album though of multiple styles and might release it as a Hallucinogen album. I'm interested to see if it grabs me like he used to.

GMS went downhill badly but that was a few years ago

Commerical Hippies did a couple of good ones but...

Yeah man. Last year i heard some new GMS... it's pretty ugly. Psy with house beats and chords... wtf!

I never really liked space tribe that much to be honest. Or at least the several songs that I've listened to. The voice samples ruined the songs for me. Just what I think about him.

Ultraviolet Catastrophe I found to be excellent, best Space Tribe by far but that might be because it came at the end of Black Rhino adding to adds really dark overtones.

For me, Planet BEN, peaked with Silver then went totally off the boil. Although he included a rerelease of Trippy Future Garden with his Test album: there needed to be some reason to buy it :lol:

While I could easily slag off many acts, I think it's actually a bit sad. There are trends in music. As a general rule (with exceptions, of course), those who follow the trends will get the big gigs. In a genre like this, the difference between big crowds and even medium crowds is basically the same as "making a living" or "not making it". Bill Cosmosis is one of the very few guys who can keep doing this full time. What about the rest who didn't "sell out"? I'd guess they're now spending their time on actual paying work, family and/or whatever. Spending hundreds of hours on an album, selling 500 copies and playing to 100 people just doesn't pay the bills. Reality won't reward "keeping it true".

By the way, have you ever thought about how e.g. Filteria has been doing fairly consistent work for ten years now? Ten years. As a time span that's like...from 1993 to 2003. From early proto-goa through the heyday in its entirety and all the way to full-on galore. The original goa scene burned bright and fast. I think you can find much more stable careers from what we've been calling neogoa for over a decade now. (Well, maybe full-on too but is it possible to fall from anywhere there?)

Yeah, I actually don't mind artists who are able to make a living out of it. Like my comment about Dick Trevor. He is a real nice guy and he has written some truly great stuff. While I may not be super into everything that he does now, I am so very happy that he can make a living off of it. Same with Deedrah and Seb/Shakta (although I really love pretty much everything that Seb does).

I like that Deedrah seems to balance things by writing music of various styles. He has his big crowd sellout stuff and then other stuff that he just has fun writing. I also appreciate that he (and Dick Trevor) upload random stuff on Soundcloud for free download. You can tell that they appreciate their fans and acknowledge the good fortune that they are able to make a living like this.

Also, playing small gigs all over the world for a long time has to be draining. I'd get burnt out from sleeping on floors too.

So yeah, this is a weird topic. While I am bummed that I am not into some of the music some people are writing, I'm really happy that they are still able to do it and support themselves doing something so hard to pull off.