Whats your "BPM Limit?

Shpongled247

So in general, what BPM sends you back to camp/to the bar/yanking your headphones out in a hurry?

For me, dark psy/"core" above 150+ is usually enough to just sound like shitty gabber to me, or sound really funny or something. 155+ and people arent even dancing anymore, if you have been on one of those dancefloors its just twitching mostly.

Sometimes at 150/55 though if tripping it really sounds slowed down to me and i can groove to it quite slowly, probably looks odd to non trippers hah..

Anyway, what bpm are you usually "out" at?

Aware this might not apply to those who only like goa here but i think there are a few forest appreciators amongst us as well..

Although I'm not a fan of 170+ some artists like Furious or Antagon have the ability to make a 170-175 track sound awesome and not annoying. Anything above 175 sounds bad no matter what though.

Just for the record my favourite bpm is 147.

BPM's are not an issue for me, it's the track that is build around it that makes it work or not. But, as I don't like generic darkpsy, generic darkpsy at 198 BPM will annoy me even more. But a tempo can also be a "tool"; Paradise Connection's selftitled album ranges from 100 to 160 BPM for example. It has a very nice concept as a whole. You don't see that much in goa trance though.

for dancing to psy: 135-155.

anything lower doesn't have enough energy, anything above is would have me exhausted in a few minutes.

for other music like tekno/acidcore/... fun starts at 170 and ends at 210.

bpms between 155-170 are undancable :)

for listening there is no limit as long as it sounds good.

Especially machine gun basslines at 150+ start to sound rather ridiculous.

this!

darkpsy would be a lot better with offbeat basslines ;)

It really doesn't matter to me that much, it depends on the mood. Usually I prefer standard 145 BPM music, but i can enjoy in some slower progressive/tech house music, aswell as some faster darkpsy. Regarding the metal music, I can enjoy slower ambientish/doom/sludge stuff same as I can enjoy some extreme technical death metal such as Nile. I prefer something around 230 BPM, but even 280 can sound superb if the band got technical capability to play it at that speed. For example:

Bottom line, it really isn't that much important in my case, it depends more on my own mood.

• 3 weeks later...

150, anything over that makes no sense to me and goes into the range of: that's just unlistenable crap... or is noise for kids who want to get super-wasted quickly.

I have heard a real rare exceptions of tracks that were actually harmonic over this, one being a Khetzal track and another one an experiment by a friend of mine making music under the moniker of Verb.

150, anything over that makes no sense to me and goes into the range of: that's just unlistenable crap... or is noise for kids who want to get super-wasted quickly.

I have heard a real rare exceptions of tracks that were actually harmonic over this, one being a Khetzal track and another one an experiment by a friend of mine making music under the moniker of Verb.

Lol are you talking about the Khetzal track I posted just above? I think it's a shame it is so fast.

One track I really like above 150 BPM is Blue planet corporation - Lubiantia (it's not really psy or goa though).

I used to dislike trance faster than about 155bpm, but to be honest, I don't think I'd given it enough of a chance.

After listening to loads of Darkpsy I've come to appreciate higher BPM music. It takes a bit of exposure to get the feel for it, I reckon, but I found it worth persevering.

I'm now loving (some) Hi-tech at 210BPM.

• 2 months later...

I think between 138 and 145 is the optimum, with my sweet spot at 141.

I can see the point in modern super fast psy, but it still doesn't mean it doesn't sound a bit forced usually, and definitely is not very fun to dance. Maybe if you have some inner tensions and need to go through that kind of cathartic process..