2. Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory) 07:43 143 bpm

3. KhetzaL - Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix) 08:10 145 bpm

4. Somnesia vs PharaOm - God's Tears 09:08 146 bpm

5. Liquid Flow - Reformation 07:12 145 bpm

6. Astrancer - Athanaton 09:06 140 bpm

7. Antares - Eureka 10:36 146 bpm

8. RA - Time Current (Silver Remix) 09:44 142 bpm

9. Space Elves - Anjuna Beach 07:56 143 bpm

Energy Waves is a new morning goa-trance compilation from suntrip, said to be first part of a dual V/A along with a darker goa-trance compilation this year, appropriately named, Temple Of Chaos. There's a bag of new upcoming artists here, not resorting to older artists this time. Unlike in the last V/A from Suntrip. There's also clear concept in this V/A which should be already visible in the samples here or here.

Mindsphere - The Awakening

The long awaited return of Mindsphere, who released a free, extremely energetic, goatrance debut album Inner Cyclone on Metapsychic Records is here, finally.

The track begins with a very ethnic tibetan monk chant soundscape, calm and a spiritual opening. Soft melodies and effects carry on like in a calm stream. At 2:56 a soft bassline kicks in and it slowly grows as if it'd guide us through the track. Soft hi-hats come along with it and 4:25 introduces a slow tempo kick. 6:23 ends the hi-hat, kick and bassline marking that we've reached the final steps of our journey. The deep melodies and atmosphere carry us till the end. A very gripping piece of work. The atmosphere is full of mystery and softness.

Downtempo Mindsphere is just amazing. Ali, you really known your stuff. Downtempo and uptempo alike. Can't wait for the 2nd album.

Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory)

As if anyone didn't see this coming, Astrancer joins in with the suntrip crew, and for a good reason as well. His style is very uplifting and magical with all those atmospheric pads and sharp and bright effects. This begins with a deep soft magical sound and evolves to a high melody driven ride through a magical landscape of Egypt. 1:04 and the deep bassline finally kicks in with. 1:54 the first taste of big melodies ensue which is greeted by the atmospheric break at 2:20 that calms things down so it could gather itself back up with even a stronger force. Bright magical effects flying everywhere. A beautiful melody emerges to take us even higher and another break at 4:37 comes. The bassline stops briefly until 5:04 and we're on our way again. 5:32 and we get yet another new, magical, melody. Things slow down to a beautiful end. A wonderful piece with a rich soundscape of vivid textures and ethereal melodies.

KhetzaL - Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix)

E-Mantra's take on the legendary Khetzal's Indian Attic. The track starts of quite the same as the original, but at 0:19 we get the deep trance-dripping signature E-Mantra bassline with a scent of Indian Attics version. We get the ethnic sounds from Indian Attic at places throughout the track, but coupled with E-Mantras signature effects, soundscape, and melodies, it gets a whole new meaning to it. If you've heard E-Mantra's debut album, you know how spacey he can get, this is no exception. While Khetzal is completely down to earth, these two styles don't crash, but actually complement each others in a surprising way. This track is the best from both worlds, I don't think there's much else to say.

Somnesia vs PharaOm - God's Tears

Again new artists on Suntrip's side, Somnesia and Pharaom, I remember when these guys weren't even on a label yet, both were promising acts!

The track starts of with a sample of thunderous raining, hitting the ground and a sample a man saying 'The Tears'. Then we get a deep synth sound that creates a mysterious, Egyptian and a dark atmosphere and a not hard, but not overly soft either, kick. Effects emerge at 0:58 and some good old acid surfaces softly on the top. 1:30 introduces us a very bright sounding melody unlike any other and at 2:00 it gets strong slow beat hi-hats which really adds to it. 2:30 a first break and not long and at 2:36 the track gets a trance-inducing really superB melody. At 3:58 the track evolves with a grander, yet sharp, a bit nitzoish melody. 5:44 arrives and we are greeted by thundering rain sample, epic soundscape and an epic melody that really takes a liftoff at 6:42. It's sounds so epic, grand, Egyptian. This is a trip to the pyramids. The melody fades at 7:35, we're left with the rain sample yet and again and then it transforms to a blasting thundering epic melody at 7:45. What an amazing last part, far from what I've heard in a a while. It's huge. Big ups for these two promising acts.

Liquid Flow - Reformation

Epic chord ensue, interesting fx flying on and about. Everything starts with a lighter sound as it gets bigger and full soon. 1:45 first breakpoint and 1:48 the track continues brining along this really tasty acid line, but I do wonder is this all of it. 2:13 the melody turns more melancholic and epic 2:41 and a new breakpoint to introduce the interesting fx and chord once again. 3:46 BLASTOFF, the sweetest acid! It's tasty, it's wet, it's old school, acid lovers will surely love this part. 5:06 turns the track into an epic view of the ancient rome from the highest mountain. Liquid Flows best track to date for sure, he touched some new ground on this track. Class act.

Astrancer - Athanaton

Another Astrancer piece is greeted. Following very much in the same spirit as Inhabitants Of The Sun, but with a bubblier and rawer execution. Wonderful melodies, some rattling goodness, soothing quirky effects and a deep bassline takes us through a journey through magic once again. Another solid track from Astrancer. His style has a twist like no other on the new school offerings. A debut album is something to look forward to.

Antares - Eureka

We start off with ethnic Indian sounds. Then a deep bassline and a 'hollow' kick arrives. The melodies flow us forward like in river. The track's melodies flow so smoothly and seamlessly from another to another. The tempo stays throughout the 10 minute track the same basically and the speed and force only gets faster towards the end. This is a really well-thought track with clearly a lot of effort was put into. Still, personally not my favourite, just because this kind of style doesn't fit the bill for me, it's not something I listen to a lot. Yet it's still so well made that I enjoyed a lot even though. Very Ethereal like track by the way.

RA - Time Current (Silver Remix)

If you've heard Time Current, you will know what to expect, basically, but this remix is like another step beyond of Time Current. The textures, some melodic twists and added layers are insanely rich and the deep sound of RA still lays here. The quality just reeks of Gold to me. One of the strongest remixes I've heard.

Space Elves - Anjuna Beach

Begins with an atmospheric, really old school sounding interlude and then we get really plain hi-hats, a flat, yet deep kick and a tempo that's slower than the rest of the compilation along with Mindsphere. I would say that already is a premonition to a track that genuinely wants to sound old school. And to be honest, it quite succeeds. The whole atmosphere sounds genuinely spacey and out there in the old school way - think of California Sunshine. The effects really add to that as well, they create a texture that feels worn, which I like a lot. The track is also very hypnotic with it's tempo, spacey and deep atmosphere. At first I didn't like Anjuna Beach much, it felt like it fell flat on it's face in comparison to the other tracks on this compilation, as it's sound is not as 'typical' with the rest, had far less intensity and the quality seemed off, but after upon more listening this is simply a great piece that does new things in the new school era. Really looking forward to hearing more. Although, I really don't like the sample they used here, but it's not that big of a deal.

The short version of this review is, that Suntrip has, yet again, released a quality morning V/A, but this time it has a strong concept of a warm Egyptian/Indian atmosphere in it. So it's not just a group of great tracks put together in a V/A, but actually having some real depth and story to it. The tracks themselves are the best new goa-trance you can find right now. Surpassing every other 2010 release so far in my opinion, although not by much. The competition is sure getting stiff with the high quality of releases from everywhere in the goa-trance territory. And that's a good damn thing.

Thanks Suntrip, for releasing yet another quality Goa-trance compilation. I'm looking forward for V/A - Temple Of Chaos later this year.

Where to get it?

http://www.suntriprecords.com/shop/

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8361

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd018.html

http://beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=5539

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3744

This review is best read with the "blue darkness" forum skin option.

I have listened to this CD for a week already, and every time i hear it I really enjoy the ride :)

My first listening to this release was quite a ride, literally. I was driving to my weekend house last weekend when I first listened to it, and the time was perfect - the sun was sliding down slowly, and the afternoon spring breeze was indicating a heavy storm of positive feelings approaching :) However, the review wasn't written while I was driving (or else, it would be a sure car crash :ph34r: ), and I actually wrote it after many many listens. So here it is.

1st track : Mindsphere - The Awakening

Very slow, very atmospheric, as you all probably noticed already. :lol: However, It's not just an ordinary ambient track. It gives me positive chills down the spine when I listen to it during the afternoons, looking at the half-orange and half-blue sky which is hiding behind the tall mountains and distant peaks, while I'm being charmed by a soft breeze which brings a smell of cherry blossoms from all directions (which is very present in Bosnia at this time).

Excellent track, very well organised, very emotional and with a big subliminal message hidden inside: The Northern hemisphere is awakening, the summer is coming, and the dark days and skies are finally gone! I feel like this moment deserves 9 sighs.

2nd track : Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun

The sun rays in all colors are breaking through the higher layers of our atmosphere. The sun is now closer to it's goal for today, and the breeze with the blossom scent is now getting more energetic, more alluring to my senses. I'm feeling like being lifted to the sky, attracted to the Sun as it slides down in a blurry manner. 1:40, The sparkling melodies combined with the multi-colored light make my skin addicted to them, and my whole body just wants to dance to this wonderful shiny rhytm. It's a fantastic feeling, very hard to describe. 3:25, I am extremelly touched by the melody. It's hard to think about anything else, all the time I'm just collecting the waves, all the way up to 4:40. I move with the rhytm, and I happily welcome the melody at 5:34. I'm overwhelmed by positive energy! I'm trying to remember how this feels like, but it's a unique experience, the melodies just won't let me do anything else but dance and smile! At the end of this wonderful dance, I hear the Sun makes a promise: I will be back tomorrow morning! I sigh 10 times because of that!

3rd track : Khetzal - Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Rmx)

As I see the last few rays of the light in the distance, I am being attracted to a small group of happy people who are having fun in the blossom backyard. The strange sound of an unindentified instrument slowly emerges from the trees and I can now clearly hear the hard drums and rhytms playing with my mind. The night is finally here. But not just an ordinary dark night. It's a night with an absolute positive feeling. The eastern melodies make me feel like I'm in a some kind of an oasis. Maybe it's an oasis of positive vibrations that surround me. The whole world is a stage, and this stage is making my heart stomp to the rhytm. As the warm and soft breeze is slowly turning into a chilly wind, the blossoms are falling around me, the night is becoming so obvious that my eyes are becoming wide open, asking for some light to come in. Then, I hear this wonderful melody at 5:03 which is so enlightening that I don't need any other guidance. I can now clearly see my path. My journey is bound to last longer than I thought, but a strange feeling inside of me tells me that I won't regret it. Finally I have some time to sit down and sigh 9 times.

4th track : Somnesia vs PharaOm - God's Tears

The rain? Is it possible? Not after the beautiful sunset and the warm wind? But wait? It's not the real rain! It's just the game of this weird place. The rain is actually a cry of the ancient mythological god? As I hear the long melody coming from the deep, my senses get better again. The rain is gone. It was definitelly an illusion, but a very vivid one. This night is surely a surprise for my mind. The fourth minute of this surprise is making me almost fly... Then at 4:53 it actually happens. My both feet are being lifted from the ground, my heart almost stops, and my lungs spread inside of me... I feel so free, so alive! This melody isn't stopping, I think that I never want it to stop! Then, rain again! No! My mind won't let you do that again to me! This time I'm not surprised, I am actually happy! The Water is the treasure of this world! I love every moment of this flight. The rhytm builds up and shows me the true picture of this place. It's an oasis, I was right. Water is now here, thanks to the rain I heard before. 7:42, I take some water in my hand, I drink it and a strange light flashes in front of me! This water takes me to a whole new dimension! As I realize where is this journey taking me, I have to take 9 long breaths!

5th track : Liquid Flow - Reformation

This new dimension that I got to is definitelly strange! I can't recognize a thing. I love the atmosphere! It's cold but in a very nice way. I can still feel the humidity in the air, even if I'm gone from the oasis. Green lights on some strange plants, and some birds that look like butterflies are flying around them, the melody at 2:00 is making me want to chase them, but I don't want to be childish. This is a totally new world for me, and as my thrill is choking me, the saving groove is emerging at 3:00! I see something like a forest in the distance. I run toward the strange green lights behind the trees, seeking for some source of light. The humidity in the air feels like some kind of acid. 4:23, I'm still trying to find a place to rest, and all of a sudden, at 4:52, my lungs stop. My heart stops. I am paralyzed. 5:06, my brain stops. What I see is beyond all understanding, beyond all logic. My eyes can not stand the light. I am speechless. The melody is entering in my every pore... I feel and I am absolutelly sure that this is the peak of my journey. I am aware of all my senses, of all my thoughts and emotions. But I can't move. I am being taken by this strange energy and I am lifted to a different portal. The light is slowly fading out, and I am starting to feel in control of myself again. At 6:20, the light is totally gone. As I'm being taken to the portal, I can now sigh 10 times and give my thanks to God for giving me the previous experience.

6th track : Astrancer - Athanaton

This atmosphere seems familiar. I'm finally gone from that place where I was almost out of myself a moment ago. It was something inexpressibly good, but such energy cannot leave people sane. I feel much calmer here in this realm. At 2:20, this lead melody is slowly becoming more stable and more revealing, which makes me feel even more safer. Right now, I like seing things directly. Then, at 3:01, the melody seems to hear me. It adjusts to my ears perfectly, leading me through oriental lands and cities, showing me all the nice and warm things about those places. I feel like I'm flying on a carpet over the cities of Mashrik, watching everyone celebrate the life and everything that is good. 4:23, In the night sky above me, stars are shining and they all seem to dance together with the people down there. There is a positive feeling about everything here. Even the wind is helping me fly, not stopping me from enjoying this wonderful ride. 5:30, my body is slowly moving to this melody and rhytm, and then at 5:45 again, I get allured by the smell of the desert sand and the spices from all around the area. I love this. I sigh as this whole atmosphere takes me to a state of half-dreaming. I sigh 8 times and fall into a total dream.

7th track : Antares - Eureka

The dream unfolds. I can hear these instruments calling me from distance. I can hear the stomping rhytm calling my feet for another dance. I want to be awake, I want to experience this with all of my senses. I get up and I start do dance. 1:50, I am now slowly becoming aware that I was not dreaming at all. It was an another illusion. I see that I am looking into a great valley filled with strange buildings, more like pyramids. Many people seem to walk toward them. 3:05, I discover a small path down the hill, into the valley. I walk with great anticipation down that path, and at 3:56, I finally realize that this is a lost civilization that I'm looking at. They are preparing some kind of a ceremony. They all seem to look toward a big star in the night sky, Antares. And at 4:48, Antares is becoming brighter. 5:15, I see some strange objects in the sky. Maybe it's a meteor shower? 5:41, No, it's a spacecraft. Shaped like a pyramid! I can't describe how I feel at this moment. My legs shake and my mind won't accept the fact that I'm watching extra terrestrials land on Earth! But how could I know, maybe I'm not on Earth at all!? 6:34, A large cloud of dust surrounds the craft. All of those people are slowly approaching the pyramidal object, with their hands raised in the sky, with their feet at constant and fast motion. It looks like a huge outdoor goa trance party. 8:45 - the gate on the pyramid open! No one can see what's inside, and the whole valley is being struck by an extremelly strong wave of positive emotions! We all start to jump as the sole pulse is heard from the inside! The sound of a lost civilization isn't distant anymore. Now we can all hear it in front of us! I stop and sigh 8 times, while I try to convince myself that I was dreaming after all.

8th track : Ra - Time Current (Silver Remix)

Night atmosphere is slowly fading out. Though I feel cold around me, the wind is not so strong any more. Finally I am back on Earth. The rhytm is so hard driving, and this repeating melody is so nostalgic. I wish that the Sun comes back soon! 2:55 gives me hope that it will be back verry soon! And I can hear the birds calling it too! The dawn is beginning! 3:33, this whole melody sounds almost the same like in one of my older tracks, I can recognize it! We all have very similar tastes after all! But I still dance to it, it's very nice! Then again, the slow arabic sound makes me feel like I'm back in Middle East. 6:52, The dawn is now gone, the sun is slowly emerging from the desert. I can finally see people around me clearly. We are all dancing faced to the Sun, dancing and celebrating another day of light. This is amazing! After a long and very emotional dance, I can finally have a small pause and sigh 7 times while I'm trying to think what's coming next.

9th track : Space Elves - Anjuna Beach

The Sun is now visible 100%. The rhytm becomes very clear. The acid groove is sooo good! We now all turn on the other side towards the beach. We jump and dance to this wonderful track. 1:14, and we all start to smile with our hands waving around. A true emotional and thrilling atmosphere resides between all the dancers. 2:00, the emerging melody slowly becomes a repetition, a whirlpool for our minds, and we all become hypnotised, willing to do anything that the melody commands. 3:02, we're all still smiling, we're all still happy about being in this wonderful place, united and so alive! 3:31, as the background melody passes by, our memories about far away places and events from long ago bring even warmer feelings in our hearts, and we all want to share that with the whole world! 5:09, one of the girls is trying to be funny with her speech, but we all start to dance again, paying little attention to words. Words are not necessary for a moment like this. Melodies is all what we need and what we all become eventually. Finally, the melodies guide us to the end of this wonderful voyage. It's over, but I feel like it started one minute ago. I can't help it but to recall the first excitement from the beginning of this journey. I sit and enjoy. I sigh 8 times and start to breathe slowly.

Is there any true innovation or new ideas in this album or is it just another generic new-school goa effort?

I have links to samples in my review, decide yourself. I think tracks like the Khetzal remix and Astrancers inputs are really different from what I've heard before.

i have had these cd for weeks now and its absolutely incredible , i am biggest fan of the uplifting goa and those stellar melodies,this was perfect album every track rocks some more than the other.

Fav: Astrancer's both track ,gods tears, eureka, liquid flow. 4.5/5

Keep it coming SUNTRIP u rock!!!!

What can I say about this album? This is the best compilation Suntrip has put out next to Opus Iridium.

The Awakening - This is a midtempo track which starts out beatless until around the final third when the track kicks off. My favorite parts of this track include a little whir that runs throughout and the key changes near the end. This is a lovely track from Mindsphere to start us off.

Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory) - Astrancer has this uncanny ability to provide bright, liquid sounds and neat patterned soundscapes. The leads are uplifting and warm while the deep bass line bounces along. This one continues the bright sounds from Mindsphere's opener.

Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix) - E-Mantra moves us into a more psychedelic realm taking all the best melodies from Khetzal's classic and combining them with his classic space acid sound. The result is really stunning and unexpected. I love how E-Mantra just runs with the kicks a lot longer than most artists and it becomes hard to tell how you got from point A to point B.

God's Tears - Rain and hail starts falling. You know you are in for a ride. This song probably sounds the most "off" to me because the kicks are a little compressed and the leads don't have a lot of power behind them but PharaOm and Somnesia deftly keeps the listener traveling with nice climaxes.

Reformation - This is the hardest hitting track on the album with fast paced arpeggios and nice drum loops. I would say this one seems short for some reason with only one real lead before the track ends on a section which seems a little out of place. This was the first track that got my attention but it has lost my attention equally as fast.

Athanaton - The second Astrancer track on this album has a similar style to his previous one but the pacing and movements within the track is just perfect. There is moment when you might expect a climax but instead it drops the leads and goes into this deep dream like world. This is also the point on the album which really takes the listener to another place.

Eureka - My personal favorite. The track starts off with this Indian melody not unlike something you might hear from Khetzal. It then just soars in a cosmic sort of way, each 32 beats morphing and flowing. The simplicity in this track is brilliant but yet with low rumbles swinging in and out, big sweeps, bright strings, and the perfect use of tight arpeggios and melodies, Eureka is like something out of a dream. The first time I heard this one I just sat there in my chair awestruck.

Time Current (Silver Remix) - Continuing the deep travels into the euphoric dream, Ra gives us a remix of Time Current from 9th. While it says remix, this is really a totally new track. Much like Antares track, this remix just floats with a level of control unmatched. Laying one melody onto another and slowly working into the new one really works well here. One fantastic climax later the dream finally comes to a conclusion.

The Beach - And then to remind us of how fun Goa trance can be Space Elves gives us a fantastic, uplifting track along the lines of California Sunshine. There is a party going on!

Thanks to suntrip and the artists for their work. While this album might not be full of twisted psychedelic trance, I feel that this is a new exploration of the genre in a way that I could not compare. Energy Waves is a deep, entrancing, euphoric, and exciting journey, perfectly mastered, mixed, and produced from all the people involved.

V/A - Energy Waves
Suntrip Records

SUNCD18_medium.jpg

1. Mindsphere - The Awakening
2. Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory)
3. KhetzaL - Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix)
4. Somnesia vs PharaOm - God's Tears
5. Liquid Flow - Reformation
6. Astrancer - Athanaton
7. Antares - Eureka
8. RA - Time Current (Silver Remix)
9. Space Elves - Anjuna Beach

Suntrip Records has released a handful of solid Psychedelic Goa-Trance compilations since their debut Apsara in 2004. I thought 2007's Twist Dreams was good, but critisized it for not being as strong as Apsara. In 2008, the label released a double CD; Opus Iridium was great, and later that year, Sundrops: Lights In Motion, a morning influenced one arrived. Both received great reviews. In 2009, Suntrip Records focused on releasing albums by main artists, such as Filteria, Merr0w, Afgin, Radical Distortion, and E-Mantra. After around a year, Energy Waves, a Psy/Goa-Trance compilation has arrived. But is this just a typical compilation or something special?

1. Mindsphere - The Awakening is an intriguing, atmospheric-downtempo opening. The song starts the album nicely, producing soft soundscapes, a gently building arc of distorted/altered sounds, catchy melodies, and more. The song reminds me a little in buildup structure to the artist's chilled opening track on Opus Iridium (downtempo CD). I find this better and a welcome entrance. That said, after hearing this artist's work on Inner Cyclone (album), I'd love to hear more uptempo work by him in the near future (possibly a better produced/daring sequel to his imaginative debut album). Great opening track. B+

2. Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory) is a morning, Sunrise number! I first heard and fell in love with this artist's track on V/A - Pyramidal Trancendence. Fortunately, his Dzog Chen track was no fluke. This song has a crisp and delicious, developing rhythm and sound throughout. It combines some of the most upbeat melody/sound work of the year yet. Few sunrise tracks are as good or better, like Liquid Sun by Astral Projection. Goasia's Sunrise song had some beautiful work. And Doof's Sunshrine (notice the different spelling) is another one. It's refreshing to see another song capture this beautiful element. The shift/effect around 2:58 is fantastic. The song has numerous injections of infectious movements and evolutions, and is energizing to listen to, very positive. This is an adventurous, tripy number. Beautiful track! A

3. Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix) is one of the few tracks I was initially concerned of because the remix isn't by the original artist. Also, Arcana's debut was atmospheric and had great background texture work, but lacked synth leads. That said, E--Mantra took a great track with strong from Corolle and made it more psychedelic, atmospheric, and involved. It is however less melodic, juicy. Accompanied by numerous sound alterations, spacey sounds, and even melodic elements, E-Mantra turned a strong and colorful creature into something more complex. It's a good/great song I think, but the original's melody leads stood out more. One of E-Mantra's tasty transitions takes place here from 4:25 to 4:50. It's good, and how the music progresses after it is well done. The melody/sound work I found more dynamic and lively in the previous song. This is interesting and engaging nonetheless. I like the middle transitory section, and various changes made from the wonderful original, though the first third-half feels a bit repetitive, uninspired to me. Also, in building up the backdrops so much, something has been lost from the original. I suppose that was the point, to produce a more intricate world rather than one with sails to grab onto (that song is the previous track). Good remix. B

4. Somnesia Vs PharaOm - God's Tears develops has leads less strong than the second track; they're good though. An often rumbling (catchy) sound takes place thoughout. The song develops its energy through numerous buildups, climax work, and a healthy combination of background textures, atmosphere, and more. It takes a while to get going. A short interlude releases a great, deliciously dancing lead melody at 4:00. The song then releases another, more psychedelic lead on top of that at around 4:27. The combinations are great! A second, more involved, and arresting interlude takes place in the last third. Both the return of the rumbling sound towards the end on top of everything else (the last climax) is excellent. This is a very good, if not great track that starts off slow and rewards patience with some wonderful work. B+

5. Liquid Flow - Reformation is more energetic and fast paced after the previous fireball. The echoed (melodic beeping) sound around 1:30 is very catchy. I love when artists select and creatively utilize a simple sound, producing an addictive hook on top of everything else. This appears to be the most aggressive track on the album. As it progresses, it becomes more psychedelic, rough, and impossible to contain. The alien sounding (crunchy beat like walking) element from 4:15 into the fifth minute are catchy and compliment the song. The beeping may have gotten repetitive had it taken place throughout the entire chase, and is fortunately not drawn out. This song has a powerful climax in the last third, coupled with ambient notes, varied psy sounds (that alien space walking effect), and more. The last time I heard such an adrenaline-induced song, it was Eyeless Observatory on the Daze Of Our Lives album by Filteria. Reformation may seem less complex, explorative, and more sensation-driven due to its storming energy. But its high energy combined with back-to-back catchy paragraphs, sounds, melodies, buildups, and climaxes is great. This is a high octane, fun, and storming track placed between two less intense numbers. A-

6. Astrancer - Athanaton begins with crisp, tasty sounds; no surprise after Astrancer's previous song. Around 0:41 lets loose the first push of energy. Entering 1:22 is the first melody lead, then another around 1:40. The high here comes down than lifts up over the second minute before changing up to accommodate new, dynamic movement. The melody lead changes up as it progresses, arriving at a short transition before introducing a spiraling, ethnic melody selection at 3:00. I preferred the previous section more, but it's still great. Another interlude takes place around 4:00; key changes are seldom used and compliment a terrific ascending/descending sound from 4:25 to 4:49. These moments gripping and delectably catchy! Another of my favorite parts includes an ambient sound from 5:18 to 5:45 that gives the track a floating, soaring (free-spirited) feel. And it is here that the song reaches its highest moment. Tasty ingredients continue being added; the song remains great. At 6:54, a trekking melody arrives, coupled with another more psychedelic lead. I think the song could have ended a little earlier than its nine minute running time however, as the part past seventh minutes is less capturing. The ending could have been better. I found Inhabitants Of The Sun (Gnostic Theory) more satisfying in comparison. Overall, a very good track. B+

7. Antares - Eureka is epic, at just over ten minutes long. The opening, ethnic/Indian melody is great. The light turns green at around 0:53 with a magical touch. Before I realized, the entire song had formed a collection of intertwining layers and beautiful soundscapes. I compared this artist to Ethereal on the Sundrops compilation do to the artist's ability to produce melodies that move together almost seamlessly at times. Initially I thought moments around 3:49, 3:53, and 5:35 seemed as if someone was lowering, then quickly raising the volume. But this effect relates to a certain melody and has possibly been done on purpose. Also beautiful are floating ambient notes that take place from 4:04 to 4:48, repeating again towards the final act. The cloud floating interlude is extremely well produced. Past that, a juicy evolution takes place filled with even more arresting melodies, sounds, and storytelling energy. The final third of the song has an infectious, whirling effect before lifting off into the realm of stars; it's superb. I think if this artist's tracks were a little shorter, they'd be more effective. This is a strong, traveling. A-

8. RA - Time Current (Silver Remix) is a new version from one of their best numbers on 9th. This version of Time Current is more like a re-imagining than a remix. It's very well done, though I find the original more fun to listen to. This is less danceable, more deeply exploring and hypnotic. I like the echoed psy sounds and the developing layers. I think the echoed psy sounds could have been used a little less, and arrive a little later then they do. The first five to six minutes are excellent (my favorite part of the track) as the world is created, becoming more rhythmic and infectious. The segment from 3:56 to 4:08 is great as the harmony breaths with fewer layers taking place. Another memorable part is when the song crosses the fifth minute; a flute-like sound from 5:45 to 6:11 is wonderful. A peaceful interlude takes place soon after. And the music returns with just as much, if not more energy at 6:51. It is here that the song begins to feel less refreshing to me. More refreshing ideas, rhythms, and sounds (an ending evolution via Filteria's Earthrise song in concept) could have been better I think. The climactic final third has some beautiful ethereal-ambient notes, harmonies. I find that the song becomes a little exhausting in its final act due to sticking to most of its perviously showcased sounds, and this is where more innovation could have been resourceful, or ending the track earlier on. For record, the psy-echoed sounds work well too, though I like them more when used less frequently. This is a richly textured track. However it lacks some of the ingenuity that made the artists' songs like Other Self (9th album) and R.O.M. (To Siruis album) so dynamic, unpredictable, powerful, infectious, and fun. That said, this is like a reunion of tasty elements all coming together to form a powerful, psychedelic, and gripping current. In that sense, it succeeds. It's just not one of RA's most spectacular tracks [as a whole] in my opinion. Great number! A-

9. Space Elves - Anjuna Beach is like a mish-mash of other, better songs. With exception to the opening, the first lead or melody is introduced around 1:17. It's okay. A second, more prominent melody arrives at 1:55. It sounds similar to Dimension 5; I'm not sure what to think. A fairly catchy psy backdrop takes place until a tune arrives at 2:40. The D5-esque melody soon returns to repeating ideas; I wish new sounds were added in stead. This track has fewer ideas, development, and evolution than every song on the album. It could have used an additional melody lead (and more development) to liven up its second half. The interlude is nice until a strange female voice sample gets in the way; it sounds like a young girl mindlessly talking (with an echoed effect). After the interlude, the music is a little more catchy. But the song is so dependent on its Dimension 5-esque harmony, that it lacks risks and creating, and falls into repetition. I imagine some people will like this softer. I enjoyed the previous songs on Energy Waves and find this last one boring and lackluster. I'd go as far as to say average. Interesting how tastes differ. C+

In conclusion, Energy Waves flows from track-to-track and includes almost all great exclusive numbers. The second song is the most solid sunrise track I've heard in years. I'd love to hear more work by Astrancer. Also, E-Mantra did a good job. Both track 4 and especially 8 has showcases great melodies, though the same could be said for every track on the album, save the last. Reformation is the most climactic number, well done. I have very few gripes with the album, but they are: E-Mantra's song lacks memorable melodies. I'm having a volume issues with the Antares one (like someone lowered the volume halfway through). The closing track leaves much to be desired after so many great songs before it. Other than that, Energy Waves is great!

Favorite Tracks - 2, 5, 8

B+

Samples / Order

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd018.html

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3744

http://www.suntriprecords.com/shop/

Various artists: Energy waves

Some thoughts...

Mindsphere - The awakening

Sounds alot like the opening track on Opus iridium (the downbeat-CD). Mindsphere is one of my favourites and does´nt dissapoint here either.

The track builds up slowly, like an organism on it´s own. I imagine a boat floating around at open sea in fine rain. Beautiful in a floating kind of way! Next time I really want an uptempo track though! Gimme!

8/10

Astrancer - Inhabitants of the sun (Gnostic theory)

A typical Astrancer track , based from what i´ve heard earlier. Remember some of the sounds from his track on "Pyramidal trancendence". Sparkling! Builds and builds... I like the first half, but kind of loose interrest after a while, I mean it´s a great track, but could have had more personality like a great climax in the end and something to make me remember it more.

7/10

Khetzal - Indian attic (E-mantra´s tellurian remix)

Two great artists in one song. Aaah! Floating, dreamy, aggressive, daring. E-mantra puts me in mind of Ethereal (even though Ethereal is´nt that aggressive) and I love it! The track is alot warmer than the tracks on his debut album. After a while i´m starting to wonder if this really is a remix or if he´s just taken the intro from khetzal, the bassline from his "Tellurgic waves"-track, added synths and made a new track! This is like the previous track in the sense that it does´nt have a killer climax, but in this guy´s music I don´t mind, because it´s interresting all the way through!

8/10

Somnesia vs. Pharaom - God´s tears

I´ve grown to like the samples in this track, which I did´nt care for on the first listen. Thought it sounded childish.

This is a mighty track! The title fits well with the content.

Every time I listen to this track I wonder how much time they invested in making the last half of the track so f*ing psychedelic. I mean, i´m really flying through the last minutes! Rich of personality, rich of colours, rich of psychedelica. My favourite on this compilation!

9/10

Liquid flow - Reformation

I thought of buying his debut album "Precence", but did´nt. I don´t like the building of this track, does´nt fit my taste plainly. Too agressive opening... I´ve heard various tracks from this guy on compilations, but have´nt fallen for them. I miss some organic sound or samples or something, beacause his tracks often sound "empty" in a way. If it would have been a lousy track, it would´nt have been on a Suntrip compilation and it has it´s good elements too (like the explosiveness in some parts of the track). Not my cup of tea though.

6/10

Astrancer - Athanaton

Astrancer is´nt an artist who´s (from what I believe)intention is not to chock in any way. It´s not too much or too less in any way, not too light nor too heavy, just sparkles through the way. I like this more than his first track here, the melodies stick in my head easier! This is pure joy all the way through. Great work!

8/10

Antares - Eureka

I can´t help to think about this guys age, I mean, 16-17 years old and making this complicated kind of music. Impressive! The building of the track is subtle with small details that you hardly even notice even though you can feel them. Suddenly I think the track is about to finish, but then it takes another turn. Unfortunately the energy of the track does´nt last all of the time, which really is a shame. Although, promising guy this Antares!

7/10

Ra - Time current (Silver remix)

Well produced, subtle, I think faster than usual. I like Ra´s downtempo tracks better, but this is´nt bad either. I´ve discovered that I must be in the just the right mood when I listen to Ra, otherwise it sounds a little bit too divine. :) I love his/theirs last CD, but rarely listen to it of some reason i´m not quite sure of beacause I can´t really complain about anything. Or, maybe, do I dare to say lack of attitude..?

7/10

Space elves - Anjuna beach

This is crazy! The sample is very funny and doofy, which I love, even though they overuse it a little. The melody work unfortunately is´nt as great as that. Silly, silly melody... When I saw that those four guys would make the last track on this compilation I thought it´s gonna be the bomb. Now i´m kind of dissapointed. Jumpy and poppy and doofy. It´s too "nice", and lacks more depth and seriousity. All in my humble opinion of course. :) When the last sample comes in I think that, "Now they´re gonna take this to the next level", but then it´s all over. Better luck next time!

6/10

Conclusion: This is not better than "Opus iridium", maybe not better than "Apsara", but certainly better than "Sundrops". This is a CD that I would recommend to anyone who likes spiritual, uplifting, positive, and subtle Goa. The cons of this album would be the lack of top notch tracks, when it follows a kind of rapid stream of beutiful, but still not THAT rememberable tracks. Well, I guess it´s gonne grow on me too, they usually do...

Overall Suntrip never dissapoint me and it will be sooo interesting to listen to the dark compilation they´re gonna release later this year!

This summer is gonna be great, relaxing in the sun or biking around in Stockholm, listening to "Energy waves" and looking at girls!

I am really impressed with Ra-Time Current (Silver Rmx), Good composition in this track and subtle background layers which have a very nice and smooth reverb. The track has a good balanced drive, and doesn´t lose focus. I like the conclusion of the track as well, it ends in a very classical way with all the layers active, and saving the most dramatic/emotional alteration of the main melody for the last section. The track has an obvious Egyptian motif, anything else would be strange with the sun god Ra. ;) To me this track has a special quality to it, and it has this immedietaly recognizable Ra sound.

Currently I am listening to Astrancer´s track (Athanaton) it sounds good so far, spatial as always with Astrancer, those ping pong delays really do the trick. Astrancer has a very good ear for harmony, even if this track doesn´t incorporate as advanced harmony as the Dzog Chen track, which had a very intricate contrapuntal composition, it´s still a very solid track.

So far this has been what I expected, I obviously had the highest expectations on Ra and Astrancer´s, since I am a big fan of their music, and I knew what to expect since they are both very talanted groups/artists. I hope that Astrancer releases an album soon, and that he doesn´t lose the inspiration until then. The other featured tracks on this compilation I will have to get a bit more familiar with, before commenting. :)

Guest antic

It's beyond me, why you all dislike that Space Elves' track? It has beautiful and memorable lead melody, very clever programming and arrangement, good sounds and lush atmosphere. It is right up there with best tracks here: Mindsphere, Khetzal/E-Mantra(!), Liquid Flow and Ra(!). So, well, this is probably where my problem lies - you all seem to be liking Astrancer, Antares and Somnesia vs. Pharaohm's tracks, while I found them terribly generic and clichéd "new school" creations and I'm speechless about Somnesia vs. Pharaohm's production: cheap 80's Casio synths and clumsy, childish melodies... Whereas the tracks I mentioned earlier are trying - IMO! - something new, trying to rewrite the 'goa' for new century.

Anyway, regardless of the above this is one of best Suntrip's comps so far, so bring on the "Temple of chaos"!!!

4/5

It's beyond me, why you all dislike that Space Elves' track? It has beautiful and memorable lead melody, very clever programming and arrangement, good sounds and lush atmosphere. It is right up there with best tracks here: Mindsphere, Khetzal/E-Mantra(!), Liquid Flow and Ra(!). So, well, this is probably where my problem lies - you all seem to be liking Astrancer, Antares and Somnesia vs. Pharaohm's tracks, while I found them terribly generic and clichéd "new school" creations and I'm speechless about Somnesia vs. Pharaohm's production: cheap 80's Casio synths and clumsy, childish melodies... Whereas the tracks I mentioned earlier are trying - IMO! - something new, trying to rewrite the 'goa' for new century.

Anyway, regardless of the above this is one of best Suntrip's comps so far, so bring on the "Temple of chaos"!!!

4/5

i'd agree with the astrancer and somnesia vs. pharaohm being the weaker tracks of the album, but i'd place liquid flow together with them in the not so good half of the album, while the better tracks would be those from ra, e-mantra (those exclamation marks you gave them are well deserved!) together with those from mindsphere, antares and space elves (which i find the weakest of the bunch as the main melody could imho use some eq'ing. the sound of the melody distracts from the otherwise really good track).

all in all it's suntrips second best comp for me but not quite up to sundrops (sight of the sages and especially gateway eight are imo better than anything on energy waves).

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this compilation. All the tracks give off good vibes. We have an explosion of flavor hearing.

No weak tracks. Each tracks plunge us into a world very specific. Each tracks open us doors to a world tuneful with strong emotions. Energy waves has a true personality.

Thanx to SUNTRIP I look forward to "Temple Of Chaos" :P

This is a nice comp, showing us that the circle of newschool producers is growing bigger and bigger, and also more mature, they seem more concerned with finding their own sound rather than trying hard to copy one or other oldschool artists style.

Nice intro downtempo melody from Mindsphere, although nothing really special

My biggest disspointement was Astrance, since I was expecting a LOT after Ashram (best track of 2009 IMO!). Compared to that, this one is pretty weak :(

Then comes E-Mantra's remix of Khetzal, although personally I'm not a big fan of remixes, I always tend to prefer the originals.

Somnesia vs PharaOm on the other hand is GREAT, the last 2 minutes are incredibly intense, the kind of melody that makes you want to pull your hair out of your head while dancing ;) I really enjoyed this one.

Liquid Flow is up next with what I consider to be the best track on this comp. My biggest issue with newschool in general is that the melodies aren't catchy enough, you just don't end up humming the melodies for days like you did with most oldschool classics. However that's NOT the case here, the last minutes bring a VERY memorable melody, proof that it's still possible to find great and original melodies in 2010 ;)

Astrancer up next again, but once again, after the brilliant Ashram this just doesn't do it for me :(

Antares brings us a bit of newschool of the first generation, which means a bit too generic for my ears, I mean it's good but not great.

Ra brings a nice remix, one of the best tracks on this comp IMO

Then comes the closer from Space Elves which I love, and don't quite understand why most people don't. Ah well, I guess taste is taste...

Conclusion: The more I grow older, the more picky I become about my music so not liking everything on a comp has become normal for me. However there are some quite nice tracks on here, and it brings proof that there is definately room for improvement in a substyle that was considered too tiny to interest mainstream lables only a few years ago. I can only applaud Suntrip's efforts to show the crowd that there are other alternatives between mindless full-on and screechy dark trance ;) 3,5/5

• 2 weeks later...

Great release! My favourite tracks are Time Current (Silver Remix) and the two Astrancer tracks! :)

I totally love the melody at the end of Liquid Flow's track, but in general the track sounds a bit dull to me...

• 4 weeks later...

Overall a decent album for the melodic freaks. Tracks that stand out: the downtempo track from Mindsphere, E-Mantra's remix of Indian Attic (Khetzal melodies + E-Mantra trance = epic), Antares' Eureka (the more I listen to it, the more Ra-influences I hear, without being a copy-cat - really nice!), and the Space Elves track... About the last one: really strange why some people think it's not good, I think it's one of the most oldschool-sounding songs I've heard lately! Not that it needs to sound oldschool to be good, but it' has that certain melody that keeps playing over in my head the last couple of days, and that's what it's all about!

The rest are more fillers imho, Somnesia vs PharaOm is really too basic to be interesting, and with a title like "God's Tears" I would expect more emotion and less 'simple' music. Liquid Flow and Astrancer's Athanaton are okay (I think "Inhabitants Of The Sun" is way better!), but also not really that outstanding. Time Current is a good remix from Ra, though I think the original is better. Beside that, I don't think there's a track from Ra that I dislike. :)

So overall good, but I think Sundrops is better in this category!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, i also say Sundrop is the better sunshine compilation.

1. Mindsphere - The Awakening - The Track is ok, nothing special -> 6/10

2. Astrancer - Inhabitants of the Sun (Gnostic Theory) - Interessting start, but then only ok track -> 6/10

3. KhetzaL - Indian Attic (E-Mantra's Tellurian Remix) - Is one of my favorite Tracks from Khetzal. The remix is a good one, not better then the original. -> 7/10

4. Somnesia vs PharaOm - God's Tears - Sounds to amateurish to me and a little bit boring. Ok track -> 6/10

5. Liquid Flow - Reformation - Reminds me on MWNNs Teleport. Good Track. -> 7/10

6. Astrancer - Athanaton - Best Track on the compilation, really nice melodies. -> 9/10

7. Antares - Eureka - Great beginning, then a little bit to ordinary melodies. But there is the nice atmosphere in the track. Good Track. --> 8/10

8. RA - Time Current (Silver Remix) - Cool remix. But i think the melody in the end is to similar with one of the melodys in 'Icon' from Ra. Anyway very good track. -> 9/10

9. Space Elves - Anjuna Beach - Simple, but very good Track -> 9/10

-> Weakest release from suntrip. -> only 7/10 :(

• 3 months later...

The best Suntrip compilation to date for me. I'm a proud owner. ;)

All tracks ooze sunlight and are so uplifting it's incredible. This one gets several listens every week in the car.

Just love it. Astrancer's tracks are top. And E-Mantra's remix of Indian Attic took some time to grow on me, but now it's one of the best tracks I've heard lately. The energy boosts he uses are amazing. Classy work.

Only the Space Elves track sounds too much from the 90's. Composition wise it's of course ok, but I'm not so for (really) old sounding productions.

edit: oh yes, the RA track is incredible. ;)

Go Suntrip!