Order the psytrance/goa styles from most favourite to least favourite

Ormion

Choose any and as many subgenres as you want.

For me it goes like this:

Old School Goa>South African Psy(+Twilight)>Darkpsy>Suomi>Neogoa>Full On>TechTrance>>>Prog+Minimal

No genre wars please :P

Standard darkpsy > Old-school Goa > Forest ≅ Psycore/high-tech > Fullon > New-school Goa > Prog

That's based on how much I like my favourite releases from each genre. If I were basing it on the average quality of all releases then new-school Goa would be higher and psycore and fullon would be much, much lower.

newschool goa ≥ oldschool goa >> good fullon (i guess you all know what i mean ;) ) > melodic progressive > minimal psytrance (2001 kinda techtrance stuff) > dark progressive > other progressive > other fullon > twilight > forest = darkpsy >> psycore > ultra-cheesy fullon = minimal crossover > electro crossover

i guess i could extend it to downtempo and other music styles as well

newschool goa ≥ oldschool goa > psy/prog rock = psydub > downtempo goa/psy = good fullon (i guess you all know what i mean ;) ) > melodic progressive > acid techno = freetekno > minimal psytrance (2001 kinda techtrance stuff) > dark progressive > non-psy dub > other progressive > other fullon > jungle > good normal trance > dnb > twilight > detroit techno > metal = jazz > dubstep > hardcore > happy hardcore > forest = darkpsy > ragga > beatless ambient >> psycore > other normal trance = ultra-cheesy fullon = minimal crossover > electro crossover > anything else

:)

Newschool and oldschool goa trance

Psychill and ambient

Full-on

Progressive trance

Darkpsy

Zenon/tech trance

Forest and suomi stuff

Twilight south-african psy

'Happy' full-on
Psycore and 400bpm experimental 'darkpsy'

in general: old school goa/old school psy trance > new school goa > Twilight south-african psy > "good" full on > ~2000 techtrance > atmospheric/melodic psy progressive (light or dark doesn't matter) > everything above 150bpm

would look slightly different if specificially for partying or home-listening

1- Goa Trance (morning trance) old school, new school, downtempo

2- Ambient

3- Psychedelic Trance (old school)

4- Nithzonot

5- Progressive

--------

Sorry, no order, I hate this :(

Full on

Darkpsy

Forest

Experimental

Psycore

wow lots of goa fans here :D

hmm.. difficult to judge as it very much depends on the artist.. but assuming there is only great sound on each genre it's probably:

1) Night-psy (looney moon, harda, BSM.. kind of sounds)

2) Fullon (also here, strong tendency to night/twighlight fullon acts, but not saying that I don't enjoy warm morning sounds or melodic stuff :) ),

3) Hightech/Psycore (pretty selective there.. love cray astronout , kindzadza, mergel & co, but there is also a A LOT of shit out there posted under this genre).

4) Psygressive (the grouch style of proggy)

5) Progressive Trance

6) Dark-Psy (know.. big genre.. here I refer to everything not fitting into Night-psy or HighTech.. Forest, the noisy gate-stuff around 150/160bpm (call it tranditional/old-shool dark-psy))

6) Psychill / Ambient

7) Goa Trance

I'm not trying to make this a difficult decision and go against favorites - but for me, old goa and the psy (full-on) that followed it are on the SAME level of love for me. I will never choose one over the other. the feelings and smiles they bring me are through the same passion.

classic goa & full-on psy>suomi when done right>ambient when it clicks with my brain the way ambient should>classic acid trance> some darkpsy

also with full-on - I thought I favored the twilight for a while but really, any of the banging tunes from the S.African crew/Portugese artists can bring me the same sensations as good songs from the talented Israeli bunch or whoever that doesn't get dark and mental, but melodic. a golden Vic Shefi track can do the same for me as Chris Hoy and his crew.

Assuming 'good' examples of each (good in my opinion):

1. Old school / New school goa

2. Full on / non-goa, non-dark psy

3. Goambient / psybient / downtempo

4. Suomi

5. Dark / Twilight / Forest

6. Progressive

also with full-on - I thought I favored the twilight for a while but really, any of the banging tunes from the S.African crew/Portugese artists can bring me the same sensations as good songs from the talented Israeli bunch or whoever that doesn't get dark and mental, but melodic. a golden Vic Shefi track can do the same for me as Chris Hoy and his crew.

riker.gif

riker.gif

hahaha, thanks! ;D Man, I'm loving this site more and more everyday. You all somehow have superb talent in providing the right gif when needed. Am I missing out on a site that gives you exactly what you're looking for if you type a word in? Anyways, really funny. 8)

I'd sort of lump all of the early Techno/Trance stuff into one big category. Take a mix like Carl Cox's FACT 1, and you'll hear how it once wasn't all "this or that". House, Techno, Trance... It was all a 909 and a bunch of synths. It's thus more an era of electronic music that I enjoy, as opposed to specific genres.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I think it's weird, but I have a very specific taste too... :) In this order:

1) Oldskool Psytrance ('97 - '99 stuff like Toi Doi, Hux Flux, Psychaos...)

2) Oldskool Goatrance (Thé Goa trance like Astral, Amanite FX, Etnica)

3) "Oldskool" Forest Trance (I call this oldskool because they were the first and had a more organic/melodic sound: Schlabbaduerst style!)

4) Newskool Goatrance (This is the style I can enjoy at any given moment, but it will almost never have a really huge impact on me)

5) Forest Trance (Sanaton, Might Quinn, Parvati style)

6) Suomisaundi (like said before: When done right! And not the cheesy/funky stuff)

And these are the styles that can even make me run away from the dancefloor: Fullon, High Tech Dark and Nitzhonot.... Unless they are really well composed and made with trance in mind! In every genre there will be some artists that I like.

goa>psy>Suomi>forest>dark psy

What do you mean by "Psy"?

For most people Psytrance is the universal name for all genres, others use it only for all post 2000 music and others tend to use it for '97 - '00 stuff (when the term was first widely used). I'm just curious :)

What do you mean by "Psy"?

For most people Psytrance is the universal name for all genres, others use it only for all post 2000 music and others tend to use it for '97 - '00 stuff (when the term was first widely used). I'm just curious :)

I don't know what this guy wanted to means, but I use very often the term of "Psy-trance". Some people use it to describe the complete psychedelic music genre, but it's not my case. To me there's 2 big different genre in the psychedelic music : The goa trance & the psy trance.

Then there's some other genre but it's sub genre or variation. By example Nitzhonot & ambient are in my opinion more oriented goa trance then psy trance, but dark psytrance, full on and progressive are more oriented psy trance then goa trance. But of course nitzhonot and dark psy trance are some genre too.

Hope I was clear enough