Light vs Dark

Ormion

Morning psy or Night psy?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which one you like the best?

This is a poll I made years ago, but since then many new members have come and many old ones have left.

So it's cool to see what todays Psynewers prefer.

This is not a poll about genres!

As Light (morning) psy I mean anything that defines morning psy for you and as Dark (night) anything that fits the night hours.

I voted for both equally. I love morning music as mush as dark, as long it's powerful enough.

I also love the in-between option: the Twilight psytrance.

I voted dark, not because I intrinsically prefer night music to morning music, just because my experience is that people are making a lot more of the former that I enjoy (IOW, it's a statement about the music that's available rather than the music that's conceivable - it could easily have been the other way round it the genre had developed differently).

I voted for Dark, mainly because I had the best party experiences at nighttime and because I LOVE the light FX at night. If I just had to vote depending on my listening habits, I'd probably have to say "Both", though.

There should be a 'none' or 'other' option. I didn't vote, dark is too frenetic to me. I can't listen, can' dance to it. Morning trance is so boring that I can't bother to listen, to dance to it.

But I concede that dark tracks - the slower ones, like Derango and Mubali tracks - are years light ahead of morning tracks, if danceability and talent are the parameters.

Edit: 'ligth years ahead...', when I drink wine my brain mixes English order of words.

Both -_-

I'd like to be able to choose on or the other but it is entirely based on my mood.

Now it is getting in to summer and I am off down to the beach with some ladies and I am in the mood for light stuff.

However tomorrow I will be hungover as shit and will not have gotten off with anyone so I will be in a dark agressive mood :mellow:

Dark. And I don't mean "darkpsy." I mean the music which has no intentions of making me happy, regardless of what time of day, music that has a furrowed brow, no stupid sense of humor, and intends to rock my mental socks. My sources of happy music are elsewhere.

There should be a 'none' or 'other' option. I didn't vote, dark is too frenetic to me. I can't listen, can' dance to it. Morning trance is so boring that I can't bother to listen, to dance to it.

But I concede that dark tracks - the slower ones, like Derango and Mubali tracks - are years light ahead of morning tracks, if danceability and talent are the parameters.

Edit: 'ligth years ahead...', when I drink wine my brain mixes English order of words.

The Dark option is not about darkpsy. It can be Dark Goa, Dark Full On, Dark Prog, Dark Suomi etc.

BTW in the old poll the morning option won easily. It seems times have changed. :D

I voted for light, not exactly a surprise I guess. :) On the other hand I wonder where the border is. I define it for myself that I'm more into high tones instead of dark pounding basslines. It does not have to be cheesy morning sound but a squeaking acid line does the trick too.

I voted for light, not exactly a surprise I guess. :) On the other hand I wonder where the border is. I define it for myself that I'm more into high tones instead of dark pounding basslines. It does not have to be cheesy morning sound but a squeaking acid line does the trick too.

The border is hard to define actually. Some people find electrypnose dark and i find him pure morning/light. There are these blurry lines between dark and light that are sometimes hard to put in black and white. Maybe people who don't listen to too much Goa find the music incomprehensible and hence might view it negatively or introspectively indirectly making the music 'dark' for them. At the end of the day dark is an adjective so its very subjective,. It all depends on the person and how he sees the music IMO.

The border is hard to define actually. Some people find electrypnose dark and i find him pure morning/light. There are these blurry lines between dark and light that are sometimes hard to put in black and white. Maybe people who don't listen to too much Goa find the music incomprehensible and hence might view it negatively or introspectively indirectly making the music 'dark' for them. At the end of the day dark is an adjective so its very subjective,. It all depends on the person and how he sees the music IMO.

Yes indeed! I was listening to Greenhouse Effect - The End Of The World when I wrote my reply and I was trying to identify its dark- or lightness. I mean the sounds are light, not over-the-top bassline or dark atmosphere. But it is also not uplifting but rather melancholic. I would still classify it as light. Some other tracks by Sandman would be rather dark for me in comparison.

Both.

For me perhaps the more important factor is subtle vs. explicit, or trancey vs. dancey. Of course, best is to blend all elements to one degree or another, but in psytrance I tend to like stuff more that focuses on the tranciness of the song over an in-your-face melody. And when I say 'subtle', I mean music that kind of tricks you into hearing the whole picture, melody, or whatever. And I think both 'subtle' and 'trancey' can occur in all types of psytrance: faster, slower, softer, more agressive...

I can't come up with a ton of examples just off the top of my head, but here's a couple:

Subtle: Chi-A.D.

Explicit: Filteria

Trancey: Hallucinogen

Dancey: Infected Mushroom

Yes indeed! I was listening to Greenhouse Effect - The End Of The World when I wrote my reply and I was trying to identify its dark- or lightness. I mean the sounds are light, not over-the-top bassline or dark atmosphere. But it is also not uplifting but rather melancholic. I would still classify it as light. Some other tracks by Sandman would be rather dark for me in comparison.

Sandman is dark to me too. The end of the world sounds dark as well or light the way you perceive it :P;)

i voted both, but i don't think that night music should necessary be dark. many of the best tracks are neither dark nor light. i find for example D5- Deep Space 5D, Hux Flux - Reflux, MWNN - Teleport or Morphem - My Plan, not to be dark, but to me these tracks are definitely night music.

what really bugs me out is that at most parties they still play night music (often harder and darker than before), when it has become light again (say, at 5:00am), but only switch to morning music after the sun has already risen.

I voted dark, mainly because of forest psy which completely blows me away. Also I find the light side of trance today to be very commercial and basically rehashing the same ideas year after year with a higher production quality. Of course there are many exceptions to this, I actually like a lot of prog.

It's a different story for Goa, I love both equally.

Well I like melodies (which most people would probably call "light"), but I prefer the melodies/harmony to be on the "dark" side of things. Even with classical music there are a lot more compositions I enjoy in the minor scales than the major scales.

It's really a matter of perspective though. Depending on my mood/situation/amount of inebriation I may consider the same album to be dark/gloomy or light/fun.

Both of course. It's about good music, not what genre the music belongs to.