SUN Project

Ormion

SUN Project is an interesting group. They are one of the oldest Goa groups, they have release ten(!) albums and their pioneers in guitar-goa.

But for some strange reason they were never as popular as other groups of the golden era.

Did you ever care about them?

Personally I think they are ok, but nothing more. Too much guitars in their tracks is one problem. Some tracks sounds cool and pretty funny, some others are simply crap, but most of them are mediocre. In 2000 they created some very boring tracks and in the later years they have gone extreme commercial.

Your thoughts about them?

Macrophage that is their 2nd album is brilliant(Space Dwarfs, Spaceship and Spacepeople, Dance of the Witches, I Feel, The Saw and Energia Magica are awesome) and the first album is a pretty good old school goa album. The rest are, like you said, mostly boring with some exceptions(What Comes Next, These Guys, Zwork, 380 volts, Out Of My Brain)

I wish they would release more material that is as strong as they have in Macrophage.

SUN Project is an interesting group. They are one of the oldest Goa groups, they have release ten(!) albums and their pioneers in guitar-goa.

But for some strange reason they were never as popular as other groups of the golden era.

Did you ever care about them?

Personally I think they are ok, but nothing more. Too much guitars in their tracks is one problem. Some tracks sounds cool and pretty funny, some others are simply crap, but most of them are mediocre. In 2000 they created some very boring tracks and the later years they have gone extreme commercial.

Your thoughts about them?

THey made a track on a combi once, think it was a destination goa or likewise album.... Don't remember the name of the track sadly, a couple of years since i listened to it.. ANyone have an idea of what im talking about???

Otherwise, they are pretty shitty

They made one of the best tracks of all time ( for me ) Space Dwarfs..... just to prove that they can do it...... i dont understand why they didnt made something like this before and after.......the form and melodies of Space Dwarfs are astonishing .... its 100% Goa but if you take a closer ear you can clearly hear a heavy metal song with real drums,bas,guitars ... other clearly rock metal tracks from them doesnt have such form as this one..... this is a masterpiece ..... but other tracks became boring for a while....... and comertial...... :)

SUN Project are one of those gropus that are good in small doses. I have heard some decent compilation tracks from them in the past but when trying to listen to a full album I get a little bored with the sound.

THey made a track on a combi once, think it was a destination goa or likewise album.... Don't remember the name of the track sadly, a couple of years since i listened to it.. ANyone have an idea of what im talking about???

Otherwise, they are pretty shitty

Statistic maybe? It's in Destination Goa 6 and it's very good.

I have to listen to the Space Dwarfs track!

They were really big some years back, but I never really understood the hype. They have made a couple of fairly good tracks over the years (including their sideprojects Ouija and CON Sequencer) but generally I don't think their music is of high quality.

Actually this applies to all of the "live" psytrance-acts I have heard: Star Sounds Orchestra, SUN Project and Hilight Tribe. Ok, it might be interesting for some to witness their liveshows, but in my opinion their music is quite mediocre.

They were really big some years back, but I never really understood the hype. They have made a couple of fairly good tracks over the years (including their sideprojects Ouija and CON Sequencer) but generally I don't think their music is of high quality.

Actually this applies to all of the "live" psytrance-acts I have heard: Star Sounds Orchestra, SUN Project and Hilight Tribe. Ok, it might be interesting for some to witness their liveshows, but in my opinion their music is quite mediocre.

+1

I heard Marco Menichelli is very hard to drink under the table :D

About the music ... yeah, it's more or less mediocre. I don't have anything against them, have seen them live already aswell and they were really good ... but I don't need to have it often. The term "good in low doses" hits the nail.

Drosphilia has some great tracks, well they are all great up until the title track, and the final track is great also. Macrophage I haven't heard that much of, but doesn't really impress me. Wicked is a great album though, some tracks better then others... but what comes next, machines from the future, these guys and a few others on that are great. I sortof like the st pauli remix of dance of the witches, but the original and the x black album version are pretty crap.

The only track I've ever liked from their prog era, is 4-7 days... but goddamn, it is an absolutely awesome track.

In terms of popularity... they tend to be on all the people I've talked to that like psy's favourite lists. So I dunno what you mean. The only truely oldschooley track they've made is probably tribolous (which is quite good) so that would explain why they're not so popular with goa people.

Same thing for me

S.U.N. PROJECT was very good, at first. He has produced 2 excellent album (I believe): Macrophage & Drosophila with outstanding stuff: Crazy Stories, At The Edge Of Time, I Feel, Tribolus, Fatal Error, Space Dwarfs. :posford:

But, since 1999, his albums have become less interesting and less melodious......boring :unsure:

S.U.N. PROJECT is like ELECTRIC UNIVERSE or ASTRAL PROJECTION ... disappointing <_<

Same thing for me

S.U.N. PROJECT was very good, at first. He has produced 2 excellent album (I believe): Macrophage & Drosophila with outstanding stuff: Crazy Stories, At The Edge Of Time, I Feel, Tribolus, Fatal Error, Space Dwarfs. :posford:

But, since 1999, his albums have become less interesting and less melodious......boring :unsure:

S.U.N. PROJECT is like ELECTRIC UNIVERSE or ASTRAL PROJECTION ... disappointing <_<

Yeah the two mentioned albums were the super nova.. Now SUN-project should change name to neutron star-project :wank:

Always really liked Sun project, i think my first psy CD was SUN project.

And ive seen them 3 times live, that drummer is crazy! I dont understand how he can keep up with that tempo...

I really respect artists that bring goa trance in a live band, this is something very unique in goatrance yet some of the best names in goa are bands:

juno reactor

SUN project

Dark soho

The experience of a live performance is something completely different than a preproduced liveset. There is a stronger connection between artist & public.

They have a couple good tracks, but a lot of crap IMO. Most of it is just far too cheesy. That's generally the case with guitars in psy..

There are a few decent psy tunes with acoustic guitar though (Pistolero by Juno Reactor or Bust a Move by IM are the obvious ones). I think distorted guitar could work, but most songs use really generic/simplistic melodies. Sitar in psy music suffers from the same problem.

I had the same when I first listened to their first album, and the second one,

the quality was never that mature,

I like them because I like good guitar tracks and back then the choice was lower compared to know,

even johann bley did not fulfill my satisfaction,

you can shoot me know, but skazi is imo one of the first who used guitars perfectly mastered, crystal clear and well done,

after that it became all rubish, have to admit his first album has some great guitar riffs,

since then other artist started using guitars in a better way what was more then welcome...

on topic: I will check the new sun project but their latest albums did not draw my attention...

• 1 month later...

I have both Macrophage and drosopholiae, I like them both, i cannot see why theres so much fuss over them being mediocre.

I think that S.U.N Project does a good job of making diverse tracks, haven't listened to other sun project songs but on those two albums, although first time i came in contact with them was back when i heard one of my brothers compilation cd's (cannot remember which one) but i think i heard Dance of the Witches and i was sold.

They made one of the best tracks of all time ( for me ) Space Dwarfs..... just to prove that they can do it...... i dont understand why they didnt made something like this before and after.......the form and melodies of Space Dwarfs are astonishing .... its 100% Goa but if you take a closer ear you can clearly hear a heavy metal song with real drums,bas,guitars ...

this made my skin go goosebumpy :o I love stuff like that, hidden shit :D

I agree with the most people about them being Mediocre. I got one album, and it's the Guitar Traxx CD('s). Was one of my first psytrance buy.

Guess what, it doesn't contain Space Dwarfs <_<