Are there any "next level" goa/psy producers right now?

winterelegy

One of the things I like most about goa is that I feel like its got a really high level of standards to be begin with, and you can look at pretty much any record from like Suntrip or similar label and say that every band is writing great stuff with great sound design. But I am wondering if there is any artist or band that stands out to you guys as writing really mind-blowing (weird, different, beyond other acts in some way) stuff, in terms of either song writing or sound design? I love the classic goa sound and don't think it needs to be combined with any other styles, but is there anyone out the taking the classic goa style and merging it with other stuff to evolve it (or the other style) to another level, for lack of a better term? I guess I always like to find the boundaries of things to know the limits of what exists, so I want to find the most craziest, out-there goa/psy that exists so I can hear the extremes of what is possible.

If you want extreme stuff, check out Demon Tea Recordings, Edgecore's records, Psy-harmonics, Nova Zembla, Devic Craft Cordings, 6-Dimension Sound, and Dada Stream Publishing.

Check those out.

https://www.discogs.com/Odd-Harmonic-SS-Porta-Ambience/release/769637

• Like 1

I dont like to recomending myself :D and I dont think I'm amazing :P just thinking that my style is quite different

https://soundcloud.com/jaraluca/jaraluca-equilibrium-soon-on-goa-madness-records

https://soundcloud.com/jaraluca/jaraluca-the-604-caliber-sample

I got many unreleased yet new tracks ( my new album will be out this year at Goa Madness Records ) if you like it :)

Haha, I don't think this is all that different (although from your SC it does seems like you write some stuff that's not goa). But I do like your goa tracks a lot and will definitely be on the lookout for your release on Goa Madness  :)

BlackstarrFinale is the last guy I know who mixed genres succesfully like that.. his mix of melodic/hard full on with goa elements hasn't been touched as far as i have heard in the past few years.. keep your ears out for his new album..

• Like 4

Well obviously this is very subjective but Escape Into are on another level in modern psytrance IMO. I just haven't heard anything else so energetic, original, unpredictable, melodic, and fun. They aren't really mixing in other styles to a huge extent, but it just has such a unique sound within the psytrance genre that no one else has made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I´m keeping a close ear to this brother, he´s one half of Empirikal formed in 2013, but recently started his solo works

Also like quite much that bsf track  :wub:

Hector Stuardo imo is also trying to bring kinda oldschool back with his Goa sound

• Like 2

I think the latest "next level" thing happening in psytrance - one that I appreciate, because I couldn't care less for e.g. triplets or cowbells ;) - is growing inclusion of modular gear, to make the sound more organic, alive and 'random' instead of the pristine, surgical clarity that is/was preferred usually. Artists like Eat Static, Martian Arts or Nervasystem do that incredibly well:

https://youtu.be/OjrorKbJrws?t=8m10s (I believe he doesn't use modular gear, but makes he's music sound like he would)

• Like 1

(I believe he doesn't use modular gear, but makes he's music sound like he would)

The guy himself said: " I use the computer instead of going all old school on it. I know folks who go this way, and YES, the sound of analogue is awesome, theres a magic there, but thats not to say the digital sound is worse or anything, its not but it is different, and that took me a while to get used to when I came back to writing again, but its interesting again. I love the environment, or lack of one, in the DAW and using software. I thought about going modular at one point, and still have a hankering after it, but I think it would only be really useful for me if I was to get some kind of live thing going on, and at this point Im just happy to write and explore the options available Maybe I will go modular at some point, Ive certainly enjoyed using other peoples and I sometimes miss analogue synths, but theres so much scope to do all that they used to and more now, and the sound of the new generation of software is extremely good now."

There are some virtual synths exploiting the same concepts as hardware modular stuff and they sound extremelly good, like U-He Bazille and Softube Modular. I believe analogue modelling is current software really nails it and "more organic sound" is just a matter how you program the synths in your DAW.

• Like 3

The guy himself said: " I use the computer instead of going all old school on it. I know folks who go this way, and YES, the sound of analogue is awesome, theres a magic there, but thats not to say the digital sound is worse or anything, its not but it is different, and that took me a while to get used to when I came back to writing again, but its interesting again. I love the environment, or lack of one, in the DAW and using software. I thought about going modular at one point, and still have a hankering after it, but I think it would only be really useful for me if I was to get some kind of live thing going on, and at this point Im just happy to write and explore the options available Maybe I will go modular at some point, Ive certainly enjoyed using other peoples and I sometimes miss analogue synths, but theres so much scope to do all that they used to and more now, and the sound of the new generation of software is extremely good now."

There are some virtual synths exploiting the same concepts as hardware modular stuff and they sound extremelly good, like U-He Bazille and Softube Modular. I believe analogue modelling is current software really nails it and "more organic sound" is just a matter how you program the synths in your DAW.

I know, I conducted that interview :)

Also I'm aware of possibilities given by modern VST modular systems (I'm myself pondering buying https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor-6/),but I *feel* there's still a difference between the sound of 'real' modular vs. the digital replica. You can fake - program, like you say - a lot of it by adding noise, imperfect tuning, random / LFO-ed changes to the oscillators, filters or step-sequencers, etc. but it requires additional, intentional work and effort to achieve that aesthetics, whereas for 'real' modular it's just there by default. And I can hear that difference in sound of artists I mentioned above or Filteria/K.O.B. or Mindsphere, when compared to the artists doing it in-the-box. What I also tried to point out was that Drezz makes his sounds as if they were modular (everything's changing constantly), but they still sound very clean and precise, very digital.

Nevertheless, coming back to the OP's question - I think this is the "next level" thing happening now, regardless of the means used to achieve that.

• Like 1

I know, I conducted that interview :)

Oops  :blink:  When you put something in the first sentence, be sure no one will be reading this  :lol:

I *feel* there's still a difference between the sound of 'real' modular vs. the digital replica. You can fake - program, like you say - a lot of it by adding noise, imperfect tuning, random / LFO-ed changes to the oscillators, filters or step-sequencers, etc. but it requires additional, intentional work and effort to achieve that aesthetics, whereas for 'real' modular it's just there by default. And I can hear that difference in sound of artists I mentioned above or Filteria/K.O.B. or Mindsphere, when compared to the artists doing it in-the-box. What I also tried to point out was that Drezz makes his sounds as if they were modular (everything's changing constantly), but they still sound very clean and precise, very digital.

I have no experience with analogue stuff, let alone modular, but I see your point. The sound of my Virus, which is digital to the bone but still sounds very alive, musical and fat, may be faked to an extent by plugins but it requires some work while Virus has it by default. The problem with plugins and DAWs in general is that they allow way to much flexibility and making them sound bad is often easier than making them sound good.

BTW, i'm not a big fan of Filteria's sound, he is totally opposite to "clean and precise ITB sound" but not in a good way imo.

• Like 1

I couldn't care less for e.g. triplets or cowbells ;)

Imao, I disliked fervently the triplets and breaks in that acid monkeys track by Gorovich, but I like the usage of analog and modular gear for his somewhat more organic sound, plus his musical background and Eitan Rieter being his mentor give me hope for something more enticing in his future works

“Of Knowledge And Wonder” is the debut album released on Random Records from the Finnish producer Funicon, bringing us a blend of sorted delights ranging from funky swingers to evening slingers. A joyful trip through the state of trance.
Funicon have been producing music since 1999 mainly focusing on an electronic fusion of Psychedelic-Trance with experimental sounds. He incorporates elements of real live instruments that are at times infused within the sound, which push the limits and evolve through a wide variety of styles.

Was not sure to post this, it doesn´t sound groundbreaking, sharp or organic and lacks psychedelia, his uptempo has a lot of complextro elements, full-on elements, goaish sounds and progressive ibogaish(lol) sound marriage which may or may not appeal BUT again perhaps in coming productions, once his sound evolves or matures more, his style will shake things up a bit.

https://randomrecords.bandcamp.com/track/velocity

https://randomrecords.bandcamp.com/track/mr-danky-dank

https://randomrecords.bandcamp.com/track/psai-nopti

• 4 weeks later...

You could check my music :P

It's definitelly not the "most craziest, out-there goa/psy that exists", but surelly it is not classic and it's always somewhere in between styles!

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/xamanist-7

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/xamanist-initiation

• Like 2

but is there anyone out the taking the classic goa style and merging it with other stuff to evolve it (or the other style) to another level

Myself. In my opinion I believe that's next level/next stage of Goa Trance, maybe not now but in couple of years.

Old school is great, I mean is amazing. But this is not 90s. We should move on, try not to recycle. Goa Trance is my love and life but I do dig other styles and 'tricks' they use. When I start producing I don't care about 'standards' style based like this is goa, this is not, this is fullon, this is prog. I just do what I feel and what drives me. But even more important stuff is sound quality. It's 2017 with all these tools around, again most of tracks sound worse than those made 20 years ago...

One of the things I like most about goa is that I feel like its got a really high level of standards

No, not really. IMO standards are pretty low as stated in last sentence up... But I don't blame just artists. It's the problem with whole scene. If artist makes really clean and modern sound then he is attacked by listeners for 'making fullon', so is the label for releasing it. So they stop doing it... 

But I am wondering if there is any artist or band that stands out to you guys as writing really mind-blowing (weird, different, beyond other acts in some way) stuff, in terms of either song writing or sound design? 

At this moment I would say Filteria/K.O.B, Cosmic Dimension, Celestial Intelligence, Crossing Mind, E-Mantra. They are doing it their way, how they do melodies, basslines, kicks, other elements in tracks and their own way of mixing. It's easy to recognize their work when played in ocean of other artists. Everyone can make 303 but their stands out and that's the signature of the artist. Production. So if you are at party and you recognize their music in few secs, that's it. :)

Again I must say we should be less limited with so called 'standards about style'. Goa came from lot's of genres and styles, why is problem when we do same today? :)

That's why we can't move on to another stage, sadly.

Also I noticed problem with 'home-listening only'. Yes, we all do listen at home and review based on such experience. But this is huge mistake imo. I have 'hated' some of the artists or releases, but when I heard them on party woooow, boom, so much better! I understand some people stoped going to parties for this or that reason but keep in mind that every electronic dance genres are made for dancefloor. It's supposed to sound good on dancefloor :)

• Like 2

But I am wondering if there is any artist or band that stands out to you guys as writing really mind-blowing (weird, different, beyond other acts in some way) stuff, in terms of either song writing or sound design?

That would be Me!

I produce Goa trance in my phone.

'Nuff said.

Myself. In my opinion I believe that's next level/next stage of Goa Trance, maybe not now but in couple of years.

Old school is great, I mean is amazing. But this is not 90s. We should move on, try not to recycle. Goa Trance is my love and life but I do dig other styles and 'tricks' they use. When I start producing I don't care about 'standards' style based like this is goa, this is not, this is fullon, this is prog. I just do what I feel and what drives me. 

isn't this true for pretty much every producer? when you're producing music you take what you love, you preserve what is good and add what you think is missing in your vision for goa trance (or any other genre). no matter where the new elements come from (fullon, techno or psy rock or whatever), you add it because you think it moves the genre forward. so in the producer's opinion he is taking the genre into the future. you think that of your music, i do of mine (to the best of my abilities) and so does probably everyone else. the problem is, that is most likely even true for electro sun, infected mushroom and vini vici ;)

we have quite a few producers on here. if anyone disagrees with me and think they produce sound for yesterday and add nothing new to the genre, please speak up :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well obviously this is very subjective but Escape Into are on another level in modern psytrance IMO. I just haven't heard anything else so energetic, original, unpredictable, melodic, and fun. They aren't really mixing in other styles to a huge extent, but it just has such a unique sound within the psytrance genre that no one else has made.

this is great