Old timers thread

Frontier Psychiatrist

The forum looks really bad logged in, theme changes and causes layout issues. I wonder if my account is so old it wasn't migrated properly?

edit: [[Template core/front/profile/followers is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] 

Seems like all the old farts are back... :D Ok not all but...

@RTP I wouldn't call it a problem but it sure takes some time. So far I'm at the letter C. But I ordered a new CD stand and startet adding also the compilations. So I'm back at a listening to them to. It's lots of fun and I also started ordering CDs again.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:07 PM, technosomy said:

hey nice to see you still around bro, are you ready to come out of retirement?
i feel a bring back Rennis poll coming on

If I did comeback, I’d likely be doing a sort of hybrid of electronic, ambient and progressive metal and all the purists would be up in arms (not that such things have ever stopped me in the past).

10 hours ago, Jikkenteki said:

If I did comeback, I’d likely be doing a sort of hybrid of electronic, ambient and progressive metal and all the purists would be up in arms (not that such things have ever stopped me in the past).

f#$k us purists, we don't know what pure is anymore, it's all been watered down  bring it on i say, everythings going stale
regardless hope you are well, ,your music still sounds fresh and often listen to your albums

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, Jikkenteki said:

That sounds awesome! I think you definitely SHOULD come back ... do NOT let the genres be a border ... a little anecdote of a project that I did with a firend is, well, down in my sig = we started out to make "goatrance" and ended up with, well haha, listen for yourself :D 
Point is, don't let rigid concepts get in your way - music should be fun and if anybody does not like what you do, they won't listen anyway. My own perception of music is continuously evolving far and wayy beyond anything, I like disocvering new stuff and the genre mixes have become the best discoveries ... I don't really classify it in genres anymore but in "I like a lot" and "I like less"...
Plus many of the "old purists" now have other things to do in their life than to hang out online and nag about albums ;) 

So yes please, come back as you are :) 

• 5 weeks later...

I was a lurker and basically never posted, but I remember Cinos and Radi, fun times.

I also wonder what is up with OD, I remember him saying he'll be write a book about his 'adventures', I wonder how that is turning out.

I remember those times. Hard to believe it was 15 years ago. Life has changed a lot. Hoping to come back a bit more often. Though I think I said that a few years ago too. 

Hope everyone is doing fine. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, Gnome said:

So @mars surely you kept an archive of that beautiful mess old off-topic was.

Right?

Please tell me that y'all miss it a bit seeing what a joke social media, reddit etc is nowadays.

It was probably in some way a precursor to the current gen of social medias. :D And yeah I agree what a joke reddit etc is, Psyops at their finest. It would be interesting to know what the ratio of real users and state sponsored bots are on all of the biggest social media platforms. The comment fields and content on TikTok are probably the worst. 

As for mars keeping a backup of that OT mess, I doubt it.

On 9/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, Gnome said:

So @mars surely you kept an archive of that beautiful mess old off-topic was.

Right?

Please tell me that y'all miss it a bit seeing what a joke social media, reddit etc is nowadays.

Right.

BREAKING NEWS: It was all migrated to his very board but it's hidden alongside the moderators' forum.

Seems the latest messages were posted on October 22nd 2008. I don't remember exactly the circumstances of the shut down. Probably too much of a mess.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody remember Children's red bolded album recommendations in the early days? Those were not just red, they were gold to me at the time! Ever since seeing Tsuyoshi Suzuki at the new year's eve rave in Cape Town in 96 I had to have more of that wild alien music... 👽

On 10/7/2023 at 11:32 PM, mars said:

Right.

BREAKING NEWS: It was all migrated to his very board but it's hidden alongside the moderators' forum.

Seems the latest messages were posted on October 22nd 2008. I don't remember exactly the circumstances of the shut down. Probably too much of a mess.

Daym.. so the dark side of the moon, it's hidden and nobody dares imagine what horrors are lurking there. :D It's like a Transformers movie.

23 hours ago, DoktorG said:

Does anybody remember Children's red bolded album recommendations in the early days? Those were not just red, they were gold to me at the time! Ever since seeing Tsuyoshi Suzuki at the new year's eve rave in Cape Town in 96 I had to have more of that wild alien music... 👽

I wasn't around that early here, maybe lurking when vacuum cleaning, the the little thing that the internet was in in those early days, looking for information about ps/goa trance. One surely had to end up here one way or another.

However speaking of Tsuyoshi Suzuki, this VA he compiled made a strong impression back in 1996:

https://www.discogs.com/release/625211-Tsuyoshi-Suzuki-Trancentral-Four-A-Trip-To-Goa

16 hours ago, Parasphere said:

I wasn't around that early here, maybe lurking when vacuum cleaning, the the little thing that the internet was in in those early days, looking for information about ps/goa trance. One surely had to end up here one way or another.

However speaking of Tsuyoshi Suzuki, this VA he compiled made a strong impression back in 1996:

https://www.discogs.com/release/625211-Tsuyoshi-Suzuki-Trancentral-Four-A-Trip-To-Goa

I don't know this compilation, thanks for the heads up. I do like Prana for the dramatic sensibility and the percussion. 

Children's recommendations were mostly spot-on, but I complained at the time that he didn't bold Miranda's Phenomenon - in retrospect, I would say that most Goa fans would rate that album as a classic. ~*~

• Like 1