How come we love psychedelic trance, and it irritates people?

Goa Travellers

Yeah, that's true. But you could say that about all electronical styles besides commercial disco-electro and commercial house.

My point was simply that to play Goa at a House party is like playing Punk at a disco. It just doesn't work. It's not the right audience. Now if the right audience even exists in your area is an entirely different issue. If not, then you'll have to look into how to create one. You might need more tools than flyers and parties for that. Could be facebook groups, private gatherings etc etc.

Exactly.

I threw parties dedicated solely to Goa...

Psychedelic is too fast currently, not only the bpm, but FXes too - which gives an atmosphere of "frenzy" to psy/goa.

i don't think so. my guess is, that it depends on what people are used to. before i got into goa/psy, i listened to freetekno (180bpm music) and always found psytrance relaxing to the point of sleep inducing. i sometimes turned on psy and proceeded to fall asleep on the couch back then.

so, with those (imho utterly boring ;) ) music styles on the exteme low bpm end of edm (namely electro, minimal, dubstep) being the most popular now, it's no wonder people are used to that and find psytrance too fast/"frenzy-y".

Heh I think or at least hope, he was joking!

Some truth in that it is not generally the music alcohol fueled average joe might want to hear. It is supposed to be psychedelic music after all, mind expanding. And frankly a lot of people want no part of that! Each to their own :)

Sorry no I was not actually joking. I have gone down that path of telling myself that the things, especially music, that light up my world are somehow just as acceptable as other people's interests and that has led to a lot of self loathing. I am proud of the fact that I listen to complex music, with complex patterns and I have invested many hours into carefully listening to each and every sound every artist has come up with. Likewise all of you here on psynews have a passion for this music because you aspire for something greater which is more than can be said of many other genres.

Sorry no I was not actually joking. I have gone down that path of telling myself that the things, especially music, that light up my world are somehow just as acceptable as other people's interests and that has led to a lot of self loathing. I am proud of the fact that I listen to complex music, with complex patterns and I have invested many hours into carefully listening to each and every sound every artist has come up with. Likewise all of you here on psynews have a passion for this music because you aspire for something greater which is more than can be said of many other genres.

That's undeniable. The question, though, is quite different: why other people don't like goa/psy? You deviated from the initial question.

I won't got much into the subject... because I feel lazy... but I've noticed something from parties I've organised and the audience wasn't familiar with Psy/goa:

Your average person nowadays is quite familiar with house and club-trance, if you want to play goa for the average person, start by playing some prog house or even some melodic techno, then move to psy prog, then some low bpm goa/psy

Just like very nutritious food, goa/psy is not easily digestible, you need to warm people up in order to accept it.

As to why some people don't get Psy or Goa, I think to some part is unfamiliarity and the fact that it's a kind of music that needs your attention in order to appreciate it. The same can be said about other styles, like grindcore (Meshuggah for example) or industrial, you have to be focused (at least the first times you hear it) at the music in order to understand what's going on and it's not something easily achievable to the average person going out for a party or a drink, it's not what he's looking for.

I played a gig at a commercial trance club a month ago as a favor to an old friend. 300 ppl at a "super club", 4-6am slot. Stupidly I thought at the time I grabbed my Zion604 & DAT CDs instead of my small commercial trance collection. I still played knowing my good friend & club owner was soooo not paying me the agreed $200 he'd offered me. I opened with

& my god did the crowd of mostly 18-21 year olds go wild with joy! I played Crossing Mind, Lotus Omega, Eat Static, Cosmosis and such for 2 hours to a better reaction than any recent psy gigs where I played the same.

I am doing another gig there playing the same next weekend after my holiday ends. Funny thing is that this old Goa/Psy is getting such a good reaction from commercial crowd in Melbourne than Goa/Psy crowd! It's so weird. I'm planning to see what happened when I drop some Process & Sandman type tracks. Hopefully my copy of Tribal Encore has arrived when I get back :)

• 4 months later...

my girlfriend calls it "freakemuziek" (music for freaks) .... hahahaha ..... I stopped trying to convince her it's not ....

Her explanation is that she likes the building up in electronic music when goa is constantly at an high .... (don't really find the right words now in English to explain better, sorry)

my girlfriend calls it "freakemuziek" (music for freaks) .... hahahaha ..... I stopped trying to convince her it's not ....

Her explanation is that she likes the building up in electronic music when goa is constantly at an high .... (don't really find the right words now in English to explain better, sorry)

I think that's another reason why folks don't like it. It's just pure bliss and energy (well you could say that about anything, but you get my point). Some folks just like building up, or sad music, etc.

My two cents.

There are many reasons and they are different for different people. For one group lack of vocals is a big no-no, for another is using mostly electronic sounds, 'normal' instruments are eihter rare or somehow modified and that's sacrilege (you know, 'souless machine music' type of people).

I also heard that the sounds are schizophrenic and depressing, even with happy-major chords.

Too many sounds at once with a beat on top of it is another cause, it seems forced (& druggy) for some folks.

There is also the group I sometimes think of as 'serious IDMs'. For them melody in electronic music has to be vague or 'ironic' and whole in your face psychedelia is like a cheap trick for for the easy entertained.

What ptn wrote is quite true, people have their own taste. But I would like to add that it also depends on what kind of psytrance you show to others. I played some of Antares and Goasia to one of my family members, and she enjoyed it. But then when I played one of the more weirder tracks of Goasia (or at least strange to the average person) or Union Jack, she didn't like it as much. I think she prefers more of the normal kind of trance, and maybe some of the morning psy/progressive stuff than most of the Goa albums I have. I know for a fact that she would fine Filteria to be a huge mess of sounds.

I noticed some let's say main problems why is that. This is mostly for my city but also for whole Serbia.

Girls problems:

Problem for girls is that there are no vocals. On parties you don't have fancy guys that are going to pay you drinks or whatever.

Then also problem is dance. They thing there is some type of national dance like we have for folk music and they just don't understand freedom of dancing. They said it so stupid to dance however you like, wtf?

There are no guys fighting eachother for some girl and girls love that here! Anyway guys on psy/goa parties here doesn't show much interest in girls on parties.

Guys problems:

No half-naked and easy girls on parties. Guys expecting it will be like commercial party, you pay few drinks or give drug and you will have blowjob...

Not much attractive girls... Then guys come in fancy shirts with angry staring at everyone, but when they see nobody is watching them or avoiding their negative energy and when they see they are not in middle of happening they lose interests as i believe they found themselves not important.

General problem is that psy/goa people come to party because music and friends which is true reason, but commercial people don't share same opinion. They come for free drinks, fighting, sex, to be seen, to be on photos shared on pages and sites expecting 1000+ likes. Even if someone enjoy atmosphere and music they will be ashamed because most people only care what other thinks...

But there is bright side of it. I knew man girls and guys that actually enjoyed parties. They are going to commercial events but when is psy/goa they come! And they also respect PLUR as we like it on parties. They made friends with some of psy/goa people and they saw how open minded and friendly they are.

Many people i knew, was it from internet or real life somehow i pushed to go to parties with me. I met them on parties, introducing with other people and music. They don't listen goa/psy everyday but they just LOVE those parties! Just after few parties i could see they changed on better, more open minded and tolerant...

Same for my best and close friends. They are not commercial but not that underground as goa. I think my first party was in 2007 or something like that... they start to going with me on parties in 2008. I remember on first party they were so nervous and constatly holding fist expecting someone will come and fight them just because they looked him or his girl... then people start to approach them to meet as they saw that they are new crowd. They had drinks and talks, dancing together meeting everyone in club.

After party they told me it's really strange. Everybody approach us to meet and introduce... this is not normal... I said its perfectly normal. You come to party which have very underground music and close society, everyone is friend here. People just don't know how positive and friendly atmosphere is. They wouldn't mind of music if they only know how is crowd there.

I saw drastic improvement in their lives. Intelectual ones. They become more friendly and open minded, they found that there are people that are really friendly even to strangers. They have interests in much more things than before. It's not all bad :)

Hell, i wrote too much :D

There is also the group I sometimes think of as 'serious IDMs'. For them melody in electronic music has to be vague or 'ironic' and whole in your face psychedelia is like a cheap trick for for the easy entertained.

I laughed when I read that. Electronic music requires vague or ironic melodies. Man that's gold.

My two cents.

There are many reasons and they are different for different people. For one group lack of vocals is a big no-no, for another is using mostly electronic sounds, 'normal' instruments are eihter rare or somehow modified and that's sacrilege (you know, 'souless machine music' type of people).

I also heard that the sounds are schizophrenic and depressing, even with happy-major chords.

Too many sounds at once with a beat on top of it is another cause, it seems forced (& druggy) for some folks.

i'd like to add "it goes 'boom boom boom', therefore it's techno, therefore it's shit" type of people :)

they often start out as "soulless machine music" people, but convert to the above when i tell them, that the chillout and dub they've just heard and liked is "machine music" just as much ;)

They thing there is some type of national dance like we have for folk music and they just don't understand freedom of dancing. They said it so stupid to dance however you like, wtf?

Not much attractive girls...

that's hilarious. i wouldn't have thought that people were still thinking like that now.

quite the opposite imho ;)

I laughed when I read that. Electronic music requires vague or ironic melodies. Man that's gold.

'I knew goa before it even became part of India, now hand me this glitch-fairy-abstract-hop compilation'

Glad I made You smile, yesterday was a good day ;).

Not at all, great post.

+1

i'd like to add "it goes 'boom boom boom', therefore it's techno, therefore it's shit" type of people :)

they often start out as "soulless machine music" people, but convert to the above when i tell them, that the chillout and dub they've just heard and liked is "machine music" just as much ;)

Yeah, I don't know why it's so hard to just simply say 'not my cup of tea' for some people.

Most of my friends also find it "machine music"... i just think that the "soul" of a song comes from the artist not from the song itself, discovering songs is like meeting people psychically.

some folks are just not musically minded.

I fell in love with psytrance in 96 .. a cassette i was given the name on it was Trancentral ..(I still have it somewhere)

I have found a lot of people on the scene come from a metal background as i did..2 totally different genres of music, but they sure do go together well..

Most of my friends also find it "machine music"... i just think that the "soul" of a song comes from the artist not from the song itself, discovering songs is like meeting people psychically.

Ya, my dad tells me about this all the time when we talk about music. How an artist is able to put his thoughts/spirit/message/etc into a song, and then it's transfered into our minds. Pretty cool concept I think.

some folks are just not musically minded.

I fell in love with psytrance in 96 .. a cassette i was given the name on it was Trancentral ..(I still have it somewhere)

I have found a lot of people on the scene come from a metal background as i did..2 totally different genres of music, but they sure do go together well..

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't transition from metal. Never was a big fan of it. I sort always like electronic music, hip-hop, and jazz.