The big topic: how do you get your music...!?

Anoebis

If you like a release, and you want it... What do you do:   

26 members have voted

1. 1. If you like a release, and you want it... What do you do:

• You go to a real/physical shop and buy/order the cd there
    • You go to an online shop and order the cd there
    • You go to an online official download shop and buy the downloads
    • You go to p2p, illegal download sites and download the music for free

I usually buy physical CD's online. I prefer going to IRL record stores and buying stuff there, but it's rare as hen's teeth that they have anything I want.

If I like it and I want it? I will buy the CD... if I can. However, I refuse to purchase an older CD for way above the original price. Also, not many artists or labels get blind purchases from me. I want to listen to it first to see if I think it is quality music. Then I will decide if I want to buy it.

I download more or less everything, make a quick sort (dark: out, fullon: out), listen to all the rest and buy everything I like in an online shop.

Well i can imagine that a lot of people who download illegally won't like admitting it. I often do it to find old stuff like say Astral Projection (a lot of old releases can be downloaded on the web legally anyway). I'm kind of new to psy and goa so free releases and the classics have been fine for me for a long time. But lately i've been getting more and more picky (which is kind of a good thing) so i ordered some stuff from Suntrip, best money i've ever spent! And it feels good to know that you're buying from people who can actually use the money, and aren't big corporate record labels.

Edit: I didn't vote, but if my finances can handle it in the long run i'll hopefully be checking box number 2 at some point.

I voted for ordering from an online shop because that's how I get my psy. When it comes to rock or metal I usually go to physical shops, because I can find that stuff locally. I can't find psy locally, for the most part.

You can vote and not post a reply.

By "admitting it" i mean both to the forum and themselves. I think a lot of people know they're doing something wrong by downloading, but they kind of lie to themselves saying it's their only option. By checking a little box on a forum you're admitting that you have the option of buying but you don't use it, and when you look at the current results of the survey it doesn't really feel good knowing you're the only one who's not contributing. I hope i'm not offending any downloaders out there, i'm just speaking from my own experience.

Discogs for the oldschool stuff. Online shops for the new releases I need to get. Directly from labels what I can't get any other way, or if that's the more sensible option. Bandcamp for digital downloads. Beatport can go fuck itself with their ridiculous extra 1€ per track "WAV handling fees". Sometimes I hit the local record stores for anything else than goa/psy and flea markets for random cheap oddities.

I think the age of real record stores, for this genre, has long gone. Except for a few meccas like london and ibiza where you see stalls/small shops that still receive psytrance on a regular basis and are selling to tourists that, most of the time, just want to buy some banging music they heard for the very first time during their trip (that at least happens a lot in camden in london and i've seen it).
I guess the majority of the people would download it to see if they really like the music and if they can they will buy it.

I know there is a (small?) core of people that won't download illegally as a matter of principle but that's rare.

I am fine with people checking out the releases of my label but I also hope they will at some point buy them and I guess that's also what's happening with your releases at Suntrip. Still sometimes I wonder how long can we keep pressing CDs.

Vinyl on the other hand are seeing a second life but I guess that is for more commercial releases and genres such as Rock, Pop and Techno/House, in the HipHop/Reggae/Jazz world I think the vinyl never died, but I may be wrong. Classical music instead is now almost only released on CD but you can find shitloads of vinyl records at flea markets very cheap. That's how I perceive the record world at the moment.

I know two or three websites which encompass anything I want to download for free. One even updates with new releases a day or two after they're up. I take the position that an artist would prefer to be heard regardless of monetary compensation. Music in its essence has very little to do with capital

A couple of years ago i had tendency to buy CD's but now it's all digital in my case, even in last couple of months I don't have habbit to check that much electronic music, like i did before, but most of the stuff that I got comes from Ektoplazm or from Bandcamp, Soundcloud, if something is really great and i want to support artist, than i'm buying digitals if that option is possible, even in my case, being without fulltime job isn't something that gives me that much room to buy everything that i like, so i'm really picky. Speaking about downloading from P2P networks and websites who are ripping CD's, I don't download that much to be honest, especially in last 6-8 months, maybe one-two release per month and that release must be something that i really want to listen while i'm studying or doing something on my PC.

if i'm sure that i will lke it, i go straight to the onlineshop and order the cd. otherwise i download first and only buy if it's really good.

but i generally don't buy digital files (except if i'm searching for one specific obscure track i cannot find otherwise). if i buy it i like to have the cd complete with artwork and booklet.

i also don't buy second hand, i want my money to go to the artist and the label.

I buy all my music on CD from online stores or label websites..

I'm not interested in downloads, I want something more tangible for my money. I love the artwork and packaging and the excitement of new albums arriving in the post.

I'm buting only physical CDs. Maybe I'm oldschool, but digital wavs are too expensive (bestport) If You want to buy new music in wavs, You have to pay twice as CD. Due to I bought VG audio equipment I can't listen to music in mp3, since there's for me huge loss of quality.

Well I'm living in another country atm, no permanent storage for CDs here/would have to take it with me so I am all digital atm.

Usually I would first download either legally, or if I can't, then illegally. Then if its an artist/label I love and want to support I make sure to go back and buy legal version if I couldn't originally.

A lot of times I want things as soon as they are released and might not have the money until pay day :/ Hence that kind of cycle.