3.No Unexpected Errors 07:50
4.Homonculus 08:57    
5.Gargantuan Tribes (Live) 08:24
6.Starbirth 08:26
7.Psychic Dissonance 08:30
8.Chosen By The Gods 08:36
9.Helios 09:01

Fresh.

It is the word I'd use to describe Ecstatic Planet. What this album avoids pretty well is using useless and predictable melodies and instead opts for absolutely vivid and odd sound design. It doesn't really follow the footsteps of modern post-2000 goa where all tracks share same intensity and melody structures, but instead it feels like it's molded from the same clay that Goa originally was. It sounds weird and at all times varied, aside from the screeching acid lines that might be a little over-abundant. It is highly danceable while remaining an interesting listen at home. You could throw tracks from this album to any compilation from the 90s and you'd have a hard time saying it's not from it. There is a clear ravey and unexpectingly alien sound to everything you hear.

The highpoints of this album are fantastic(Gate To Happiness, No Unexpected Errors, Homonculus, Starbirth). There are moments that will undoubtetly wreck the dancefloors with their unconventional sounds. Homonculus is a perfect example of the album not conforming to the mainstream goa sound, it's just so weird. There is a melody at 2:00 that just sounds like your auditory nerves just went into overdrive.

The tracks that fall a little short from the highpoints generally have too much repetition and can sound even a little bit aimless. Just about every track brings something new to the table for this album, and while it's not perfect, like some tracks engulf too much of the aforementioned problems, it has qualities that full albums don't always have - Variance. The Tracks sound different from another! the only real repetitous sound in this album is the typical screeching acid lines that I mentioned before. If you skip albums released lately you will find the sound is quite homogenous, I didn't really feel the same here.

Absolutely not what I expected! I hope that it'll stand the test of time!

• Like 2

Jaza    29

Like all Suntrip releases I want to love this album. It's a solid listen, but it doesn't grab me.

It's a testament to the amazing strength of the Belgian goa trance scene that two young lads would aim to make music in 2017 that mimics music written around the time of their birth (1996 - staggering to think that Electric Universe' One Love and Hallucinogen's Twisted were released before they were born!)

In terms of the vibe they're going for they pull it off amazingly. I doubt many people at all would listen to tracks off this album for the first time and pick they were produced in 2017. The 303 usage is maybe a bit over-the-top, but that's a minor gripe. The songs themselves are written well enough without anything screaming out at me (I've listened to it three times now and could only ID Psychic Dissonance and Gargantuan Tribes immediately if I was played them again). For me the stand out track is definitely Gargantuan Tribes, comfortably the freshest sound on the album, a really cool mix of trance and live instrument additions.

If you really love the 90s sound this should be an instant purchase. I can tell I'm going to be in the minority in the goa community and that this album is going to make a lot of people very happy. But between this and the new Omnivox album I think I've cemented a personal feeling that I like my new music sounding well... Newer.

I respect 'Ecstatic Planet' greatly for it's nod to the past, and I've tried to divorce myself from focusing on the old-school production and listen deep in to the music, but it's hard to get away from the fact I'd rather be listening to Celestial Intelligence, Artifact303, etc. (Helios is a perfect example of a track that could be perfect but just sounds too dated in parts.)

Whilst this one won't be cranking in to dozens of listens throughout 2018 like others will, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on Triquetra. To be writing and producing at this level at their age is brilliant, there's so much potential here no matter which way they go in the future.

Urban    1

IMHO It's not up there in quality with the best Suntrip albums like Ketzhal-Corolle, Filteria-Daze of our Lives/Lost in the Wild, Ra-9th etc, but it's still very enjoyable to listen to throughout.

I love the alien-like melody in No Unexpected Errors that starts around 1.05 minute mark, it's short but effective, dark and mystical. Then the track picks another direction and goes crazy. Its a monster track and in my opinion best of the album. <3

Gargantuan Tribes (Live) is the second stand out track for me, mostly because of the use of the didgeridoo instrument. It gives the track it's tribal feel, just like the name suggests. The acid melody in the last third is cheesy as f, but it brings smile on my face! :)

Homonculus. I really can't stand the bass drum on this track. It sounds bad on my headphones, it sounds bad on my speakers. It's just bad. Combined with the overuse of acid sounds and being placed right after a great track it ruins the flow for me. It's the only bad apple on the whole album though.

The last 4 tracks have all decent melodies, but nothing that's memorable. Anyway the whole album would have been better of with more complex melody structures and less acid sounds. For me It's probably Suntrip best album since Crossing Mind-Beyond Duality.

Recommended!

• Like 1

Trance2MoveU    354

This was one of the most highly anticipated albums I can remember (maybe Morphic Resonance was right up there) and it's a good one by this pair of brothers.  One thing I've noticed is that most of the tracks lull you into what you think will be the same old same old modern goa trance, but they all seem to explode in their second half.  It's like they save the best acidic tricks for last while the 303's just go crazy in a tsunami wave of sound!  Certainly old school sounding and I believe it gets better each time I hear it. 

Recommended!

Aspartic    60

It has been since Antares that a belgian based artist has made an album on Suntrip if I'm not mistaken.
We had to wait a long time for a second belgian, but Triquetra's debut is finally here.

I have recently reviewed their tracks on Inti as good and not so good. I wasn't really paying attention to these two brothers.
Last november I went to OiG XXI in Antwerp, mainly to see Ra live. Ra was superb, but Triquetra live was frikking amazing!!
Right there I fell in love with their enthusiasm, energy and music. Music that moved us all that night.

But anyway, I digress. How is the album?

Well, it's VERY GOOD dammit! :D

I was afraid at first when I heard it was gonna have an old school feeling to it. And I always liked the complexity and heaviness of new school.
My roots do not lie in the goa of the 90's. But I have been doing some research on artists and cd's from that era and I have found some true pearls there.
At last I understand the beauty of what has been and where it all has started. I understand the beauty of simplicity too.

Ecstatic Planet is not simplistic. Not by far. But it doesn't rely on very heavy basses or a plethora of dense sounds either. And it seems to be a very good compromise.

It's astonishing how every track is a journey on its own. Each track has more than enough twists and changes to keep it pleasant to listen to.
The music is very unpredictable and it's full of surprises. The loads of energy come from the many acid lines inside every track. Perhaps overkill for some, but perfectly placed for me.

Garganthuan Tribes takes the cake for all of us because of the live didgeridoo. And when you have the honor to see them live you will see and hear the didgeridoo live as well!! What an experience.
Starbirth is another track that brings me into total immersion of goa sounds. But the whole album is good. That's what I want to say.

Fresh sounds from Triquetra. Job well done guys! :wub:

kicma    22

Awesome album and I agree that their live is fantastic, it's great to hear and see them live with didgeridoo in a world full of laptop lives. :)

recursion loop    442

Interesting release. Not sure I actually like it, but it is different enough from typical modern goa sound. I can't say it sounds actually oldschool, the mixing sounds very clean and digital. It's more like that they just use less layers, less processing aimed at making things loud/fat/in your face, less delay and reverb. Not sure it's a bad thing, the sound may lack the complexity and fatness of most modern productions but on the other hand the sound picture is very clean, all details are clearly heard. 

As for the music itself, there are some very interesting moments (I loved these atmospheric synths and melodies in tracks 1, 7 and 9 and the didgeridoo is totally awesome of course) as well as some pretty pointless ones. Unfortunately the album doesn't completely avoid "useless and predictable melodies" as the reviewer said, there is enough of this chromatic and fake-Eastern pointless shreddage. Also I agree that there is too much 303 here and it is used in a very straightforward manner and often distracts me from more interesting sounds and parts the tracks may have (is it a real 303 btw? sounds more like some plugin to me, maybe Spire).

Anyway, there are some interesting sounds and melodies here and there and a clear intention to develop their own sound instead of doing the same thing as everybody else  (apart from that 303 which tries to sound like the most stereotypical goa 303).

mak    0

Great Album from Suntrip Records. The best one in the last years and one of the best released, at least from my perspective of Goa trance. Old school with some new school influences, acidic, melodies I like, apart for a few tracks everything is top notch. Great release! I liked a lot Triquetra Fungus Fever EP and Inti tracks and I like a lot Ecstatic Planet.

I will keep an eye on every Triquetra release, excellent release!

Manuser    236

The intro melody of Psychic Dissonance sounds so 90's! 

GhostOnAcid    14

Good Album. :-)

Best tracks for me are: 1,2,3,6 and 8.

Some Words:

Gate To Happiness - Nice Intro, nice melody. The middle turns a litte bit to medicore neogoa. At the end it has more character again. The sounddesign and the usage of the arpeggiators reminds me a lot Celestial Intelligence.

Stormbringer - nice melodies and energy.

No Unexpected Errors - Best Track of the Album! Cool melodies, good arrangement, really good build up at 04:58 to the end. Thats amazing! :-)

Homunculus - I dont like this track that much, but the idea to take a distorded kickdrum is cool and not often in Goatrance. 

Starbith - The melodies are nice and have a feeling of MFG. Good energy! The acidsounds are to loud sometimes and hide the good melodical work.

Chosen By The Gods - I think this track works perfect as a good start for a dj-set. :-)

I would give 7/10. Good melodical work, good intuition for interessing arrangements. The 303 is sometimes to prominent. Here and there moments of typical mediocore neogoa. But overall a good album with a lot of tracks, they bring me alot of joy. :-) 

• Like 1

Alek    36

Wow! Biggest surprise of 2018 so far :) Without knowing anything about Triquetra before, I just assumed this was an old artist with a bunch of unreleased tracks from way-back-when, which only now got polished for 2018 and released :D It's very refreshing to hear something that sounds truly old school, as funny as that sounds...

It''s rare that I come across an album in which I enjoy almost every track, a few more listens will determine some favorites :) 

Anyway great stuff, and I hope I get to hear it live some day!