What will happen to your collection after you're done with it?

Ormion

Either because you're too old (or busy) to enjoy it or because you just don't like this music anymore.

Are you gonna sell them? Give them to someone? Burn them in a ritual?

BTW have you ever wondered what will happen to your collection after you're gone? (sorry for the macabre question). Do you expect your family/friends to keep it or throw it in the garbage?

Guest D N H

Well, i have experience on this matter.

I used to have a large collection of different underground music and due to some perception reasons many items i sold them, few i gift them and some others gone away.

My goa/electronic collection which is the older one has survived through the years and few thoughts for selling it. The last one thought being the questioning of how much free i am with it and if it weakens my mentality.

All doubts are overcome by the fact of its high artistic and musical quality, plus it inspires my visioning and a part of my spirituality.

But the most important is the way music affects you. I mean when i started to listen to goa, it was from homemade tapes, after years it might be from a stylish media player with leds and projections... who knows..

But i suppose i never sell it.

I'll probably write it in my will that THESE ARE NOT TO BE SOLD OR DESTROYED. Or perhaps I'll donate them to someone who still cares for something as ancient as CDs :P

The same thing will also happen to the hard drive (or whatever storage medium will be around in +-60 years) that holds the CD rips and all the music I've downloaded (all legally, mind you).

While I'm alive, they're mine!

When I'm dead, they get passed on to someone who will appreciate them.

NO OTHER SILLYNESS ;p

So long I live I guess they will remind around here.Wherever here is....... Once I passed away, If my family don't want them, I guess trying to sell them or give them away to someone who cares about some trance.....

I can't imagine ever giving my collection away. I still have shitloads of trance vinyls even when I don't have a record player anymore. If I die it would be nice if somebody who likes the music will take it. I might write that in my last will. On the other hand I will be dead anyway so I guess I will no longer care...

I have the very cheesy dream that once upon a time, my great great grandson will discover a huge record-collection in the attic and in this way gets enchanted by the music, has a blast and as such grows more intimate with a great great grandfather, he has never known in person but now knows through the music I collected. :blush:

I have the very cheesy dream that once upon a time, my great great grandson will discover a huge record-collection in the attic and in this way gets enchanted by the music, has a blast and as such grows more intimate with a great great grandfather, he has never known in person but now knows through the music I collected. :blush:

That's lovely.

1269534229_100325_m_count_aj_tear.gif

Guest D N H

I have a similar cogitation that a possible reincarnation of mine will discover the collection or most of it and rejoin the old spirit & the old feelings.

LOLthread :lol:

Well, most of my "collection" is in mp3, so nothing much to pass onto future generations, however, I own original release of Alien Protein, the holy bible of psychedelic trance for me and I hope that none of my goldies will fade away into trash bin or get recycled when Im fed up with them or when my time on this planet/in this form and look has come :D!

Since I don't have a big collection for the moment, and since I don't plan to give up Goa trance and Psychedelic trance listening, I've never thought about that....

But if I had a son and I had to give someone my collection, would probably give it to him...

mine is written in my will, most of my music collection (most genres) will go to my 2 children (currently 8 and 6) the rest will be donated to the psynews community.

am sure you will all find a democratic way for distribution.

maybe not for my ultra rare stuff though!

that's a tricky one.

sometimes i feel a collection keeps you chained because you have invested a lot of money into it, and even if the media are solid (vinyl and original CD should last quite long) i wonder if one shouldn't sell the old CD because it may be too late at some point and they have a big value.

I suppose us great collectors have a hard time with this kind of thoughts. Maybe some of us can still live happily not thinking of the money invested but i know that i could do smth important if i were to sell ALL my records (opening my own business for instance...). That though, could take a long time considering the amount i gathered and would be difficult to do since nobody would buy it all at once. Ideally, in the future, it would be cool to setup some sort of museum of goa trance and have all the important releases on exhibit there for future generations to see and to be preserved. But that's maybe a bit of a stupid thought.

Some of the artwork produced for this kind of music is really mind-blowing and could be appreciated by wider audiences than just the music listeners. Surely it would be important to have a database with all the music produced for preservation and if all the collectors could gather this could be realized. But there are a lot of copyright issues in the middle to do smth like this.

If I suddenly die my collection will go to my brother and then he will decide what to do as I trust him completely with music.

I doubt I'll tire of this music. I mean my Mum is 75 and still istens to the music of her youth so...

Anyway I've bene listening to music from goa since '88 so I don't see it going anywhere else. I"m busy restocking my Spirit Zone, Goa Head, Pulse & Tantrance series as they were stolen years ago.

I will leave it all to my kid(s) and they can do with it as they want. Just as they shalle have my custom modular synth, DSI Prophet 08 rack, Nordlead 4 rack & Moog Minimoog Voyage (Performance Edition). They'll also get my midi equipment, soundcards, monitors, stereo system & mastering equipment. They can do with it as they wish but I hope they hold on to at least the custom designed modular gear as I could have bought a nice new 4 wheel drive for that amount ($30K) :)

The only thing they are not getting is the house as that is my retirement fund. They will be getting an inner city apartment each on their 21st birthdays though as a "gift" start to life.