Finally they've unveiled the new D5 material

Penzoline

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very surprised out how similar this sounded to their original material, proper Goa hi-hats, big melodies, indian influence, some proper acid! Yeah the bassline is different, much more powerful, at least it isn't a really typical fullon bassline a la Terrafractyl or Vibe Tribe, and I don't think it takes away from it, this stuff genuinely has the Goa spirit, it sounds more Goa than any other newschool stuff in my opinion, which isnt surprising because Dimension 5 have been releasing great stuff for a long time. Overall I like this a lot!

I like it as well, sounds very powerful or at least way more powerful than their last album Second Phaze. Don't know how I feel about those basslines yet, but I think I'll grow to like them.

the melodies and sounds are awesome, but yes, the bassline is quite a distraction and imho doesn't really fit to the rest of the music. everything else could have been taken right from the golden times of goa trance, but the kick/bass is just screaming "ignore those melodies, instead look at me, i'm from 2010!" there's no need to take old goa basslines for modern goa. filteria, artifact303 or e-mantra (among many many others) have their own modern bassline sounds that fit nicely to the music. some new goa also works nicely with fullonish basslines (some tracks on shaltu or alienapia or many others i fail to remember right now), but here i don't see this. let's hope it will get changed when they release their music....

I think the track is nice. It has a lot of changes and different parts of melodes. The bassline is a bit off place but it is by far not a big deal, when I compare it to real full on basslines. I would accept Goa tracks with such basslines, altough real goa basslines are better. This sounds oldschool indeet but reminds me a bit off Astral projection and sounds a bitr colder than their older stuff, The older stuff could give me more I must say.

I think the volume maximazation has changed the vibe to focus on the bassline.

You have many choices in mastering and they wanted to fit with today's music in genre.

Sounds good, but I would have had the BL a little lower.

I think the volume maximazation has changed the vibe to focus on the bassline.

You have many choices in mastering and they wanted to fit with today's music in genre.

Sounds good, but I would have had the BL a little lower.

good point, agree completley, but still along way to go.

Guest E-Mantra

i tottaly understand the using of full-onish bassline..

even i might not agree with this..

this is only my personal oppinion base on what ive seen on partyes ive played..

when a goa act is playing regular bass people tend not to dance anymore..( thats a sight that actualy make me not to create goa tracks anymore :|

except 2-3 countries that still love the vibe//

on the other hand when a psytrance act play that rolling bassline..everyone is on fire...so..in the next years expect most of the goa groups to swicth to fullonish bassline..thats the trend..again...even im not agree with this..that was the magic of goa..unique basslines..there will be gone soon..

so..judge for yourself...

What E-Mantra said. Countries with a big psytrance community, such as Germany or Brazil, do not catch the drift of the goa bassline vibe at all. Getting one quarter of a crowd gently moving on an old or newschool goa-track might already be considered an achievement there. And those who were at Boom will know how initially the energy on the dancefloor boiled down when Filteria started playing after the Psytrance-ish Logic Bomb act...when there's no considerable bass, it's like these partypeople cannot decode the music anymore, like it's just a bunch of random sounds, and they tend to stand still, waiting for another empty bassline-kick moment. Just my thoughts and experiences...

Anyway, very happy with the comeback of D5!! :)

Well to be honest the reason that psyheads don't dance to goa anymore is that IMO neogoa is not that danceable. I'm a huge Goa head and the vast majority of new school goa tracks don't move me at all. I'm pretty sure that if some dj played some old school AP or MWNN ppl will go crazy even if they don't know the track. Sorry for the rant, it's that I feel that the energy is missing from the new goa scene and I don't believe is because of the bass. Actually I believe that if there's one thing that neogoa does better than old school is the bass. But the bass alone is not enough.

Well to be honest the reason that psyheads don't dance to goa anymore is that IMO neogoa is not that danceable. I'm a huge Goa head and the vast majority of new school goa tracks don't move me at all. I'm pretty sure that if some dj played some old school AP or MWNN ppl will go crazy even if they don't know the track. Sorry for the rant, it's that I feel that the energy is missing from the new goa scene and I don't believe is because of the bass. Actually I believe that if there's one thing that neogoa does better than old school is the bass. But the bass alone is not enough.

Yeah I agree, I think people go mad for full-on basslines because they slam in, the impact is there. Neogoa is fast music, but it lacks impact, the "being hit by a freight train" sensation that you get with full-on. Not saying I like full-on more than Neogoa, far from it, but full-on works better on the dancefloor; neogoa to me is homelistening music. Oldschool had the impact as well, in a less defineable way, it wasn't reliant on basslines at all really, it just started screaming and you knew that was the time to go for it; peaks like: Howling at the Moon, Goaway, Ring of Fire, they've all got the impact, proper intensity, it was raw and harsh, Neogoa is soft and smooth, it's speed doesn't make it that danceable in an age where 180bpm darkpsy and gabber exist.

I think proper kicks and basslines can work on the dancefloor very well. For example take the kick and bassline on "Astral Projection - God is a DJ" Very Strong kick that makes you dance in my opinion. Or the Kick and bassline on Hallucinogen - LSD Live Mix, a very good kickdrum for the dancefloor in my opnion.

And about newschool Goa Tracks. i think my two songs I produced on soundcloud sound more goa like than most of the newschool stuff out there. The newschool goa tracks just sound new and not analogue at all. some people say it is because they are produced with the computer, but there are enough virtual synthessizers that can reproduce analogue sounds. Neogoa just is a style with too many sounds playing at one time so it looses clarity and direction to the listener. And yet the Neogoa labels don#t do anything to make the artists produce oldschool Goa again.

they've all got the impact, proper intensity, it was raw and harsh, Neogoa is soft and smooth

Yeah, my point exactly. Even newschool tracks that are more intense seem to be somehow smooth. I believe it's the lack of strong melodies that will guide the track and that percussion is somehow less phat than old school.

Guest E-Mantra

yes dude//but u generalize...something like all newschool tracks are not good for dancing..and thats not true

anyway..thats why ive decided tostop making goa ..seems people are still conected to oldvibe ...and i totaly understand that

fullon is taking most of the scene and these days ...there is no support for upcoming artists because of comments like yours..

if you want to folow my work...i will continue to make some tracks with Eleusyn project probably ..

E-Mantra will remain only with chillout...