What is wrong with Neogoa?

Procyon

Do you know if Youtube Records releases are in these numbers? I take, say, Siam as an example of an artist that releases his tracks on youtube, only.

Check out list again, there isn't any ''Youtube Records'' stuff there and it won't be. Siam isn't releasing his music on Youtube only FYI. He already released one track on Future Architecture and we also spoke about next release(s).

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out list again, there isn't any ''Youtube Records'' stuff there and it won't be. Siam isn't releasing his music on Youtube only FYI. He already released one track on Future Architecture and we also spoke about next release(s).

Yes, but before that he released his tracks, 4 or 5, via Youtube. And he was quite successful, I first heard about him, there. A lot of hits per video, great comments.

What I meant, is that besides the numbers you showed, there are many other neogoa releases that are under the radar.

Thread derailed completely. Keep this genre/religion/drug crap out of this thread and make a new one for it in an appropriate section if you so wish. The thread is about what is wrong with goatrance musical-wise today. Thanks.

This especially applies to you, max. Also do use the multiquote button, everyone else can, why can't you? .

Edit: If you have problems with the forums functionality please direct questions here:

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/53032-site-questions-requests/page__view__findpost__p__977841

Editx2: I cleaned up offtopic stuff to another thread.

Also to contribute something myself

I don't believe music was better because of drugs and experiementing only, how could anyone write anything decent while baked as hell? As they weren't confident by genre 'restrictions' today they just did whatever - but there has to be a connection of being an amazing music writer too. Those Pleiadian songs were nothing short of incredible compositions. Like someone told me, it feels a little that people don't 'write' music anymore. Not that I know myself as I am not a writer and I cannot really spot these things for a fact, but it certainly seems audible in cases. It's that complexity/intelligence you don't hear much these days.

Maybe it is not only about the scene being rather fresh but also most of the artists being rather young? I mean you do have Ra but there are others that are not making music that long. So imho it is somehow logical that they are still getting into it, bringing in their own ideas but using given patterns. Over time it will be easier for them (or even necessary since they might get bored otherwise) to evolve the style with new patterns. Sure you can say argue that then maybe they should not release their stuff but even when given patterns are used I personally enjoy that music. Means I'm glad there are 15 or whatever figure it is releases per year. On the other hand I also understand when some people think it's boring because they know the old Goa stuff for years now and wait for an improvement (improvement not in the sense of full-on or progressive that came out of the scene but improvement in the patterns of an existing style).

Tatsu: Please, give this a listen. It was not planned, I didn't even use headphones. I want to know if you agree with me. I believe the ritual ostracizing of the Goa/Psy DJ created the issues we have today. The fact is that you need 3 elements in order to successfully experience Electronic Music. 1.Composer, writer, producer(the person or group that made the track) 2. The Audience (the fans of this music) and 3. The DJ.(The Shaman responsible for guiding your spirit quest). The complete absence of the DJ from goa/psy has led to many problems. People complain about how the music is not meeting their expectations. The DJ is the one that is responsible for distributing the music to the audience. The DJ is the one that controls where the music goes. The more tracks that are bought and played, the more that the genre will go in that direction.

Uncommon Shaman Mix

Slight collision at: 44:33-44:50 sorry about that. remember no headphones and freestyle. no planning.

I'm listening to the mix right now, I'm just at the beginning so I can't say much. It sounds very nice so far.

I'm not sure what you want to tell me tho. I mean I don't see a real issue with the scene, at least not here. Sure you have some fucked up party goers/parties, commercial events and albums and what not but to me personaly the scene is more alive than ever. You have lots of different parties with all styles, in all sizes, indoor and outdoor. There are more albums comming out that I would by than I have money. I can choose whatever I want from all the options while back in the days there were maybe 2 parties per weekend. Not that this was bad but there was not much to choose from. And from my point of view the people were as fucked up as the people (some of course) are nowadays with "regular" people comming to the parties just for drugs. I started to go to parties around 2000 and the complaints were the same than nowadays: the music gets to commercial, too many youngsters taking drugs and so on.

I also have several DJs (local ones) that I really adore (because of the music they play, not of fame reasons or their looks) and who are able to really take me on a trip on the dancefloor. I also manage to get surprised by rather unknown acts that I stumble upon and who blow me away. Sure there is the commercial part of psy but I can easily avoid it when I want to.

Edit: btw. the part around 22.15 is awesome!

The point is that real oldschool goa trance from the 90s has a dirty and grimy undertone. it sounds like dirty bong water, like drinking canned beer in the morning, like smoking pot in public transit and not giving a shit about other passengers, like getting a blowjob while sitting drunk at the beach. "Neogoa" might be nice trance music, but it doesn't sound like all this. it rather sounds like non smoking flights, clean hotel rooms, diet coke and sex with condoms. that's why many people including me don't like it at all.

The point is that real oldschool goa trance from the 90s has a dirty and grimy undertone. it sounds like dirty bong water, like drinking canned beer in the morning, like smoking pot in public transit and not giving a shit about other passengers, like getting a blowjob while sitting drunk at the beach. "Neogoa" might be nice trance music, but it doesn't sound like all this. it rather sounds like non smoking flights, clean hotel rooms, diet coke and sex with condoms. that's why many people including me don't like it at all.

+10

Hahaha, nice!

Haha :D

Anyway as I said before my biggest complain with newschool is all this floatiness. What it has to be so floaty? All these pads, all these melodies that come and go and you find dufficult to focus to. What about the old times when a catchy melody dominated the whole track?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROI1W3Lgqbs

Three main melodies right in your face!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, I don't know why, but when I read your post the movie "200 Cigarettes" came to my mind. I guess it's because this 'dirtiness' was so nice some years ago.

People want their sounds to be too clean and pristine. The dirtyness happened in the old days cause everyone had to buy hardware and didn't have access to fast processing power on their computers to clean everything up. I say we take a lesson from Lo-Fi rock music or from Black Metal and cultivate dirty production as an aesthetic.

Yes, but before that he released his tracks, 4 or 5, via Youtube. And he was quite successful, I first heard about him, there. A lot of hits per video, great comments.

What I meant, is that besides the numbers you showed, there are many other neogoa releases that are under the radar.

Offcourse there is a lot of great tracks, just take a look at soundcloud/reverbnation pages of many artists, you can preview a lot of stuff or even listen to full tracks, but they're not official releases so I can't count something from youtube or soundcloud as a release, that is simple logic. Self released material from Red Gravity or Xervana is other thing, they released it through their websites as a complete material with proper cover artwork, decent mastering and it got some concept. Best of my youtube tracks isn't a release.

Offcourse there is a lot of great tracks, just take a look at soundcloud/reverbnation pages of many artists, you can preview a lot of stuff or even listen to full tracks, but they're not official releases so I can't count something from youtube or soundcloud as a release, that is simple logic. Self released material from Red Gravity or Xervana is other thing, they released it through their websites as a complete material with proper cover artwork, decent mastering and it got some concept. Best of my youtube tracks isn't a release.

And by which parameters a Best of my youtube tracks can not be taken as a release? AFA the artist made it public, it is a release. It does not matter if it was via Ektoplazm, a homepage, Sony site or Youtube.

To be honest, most of the tracks I have are from Youtube or Ektoplazm - to me the two best sources when we are talking about releases. YT has become sort of a huge CD store, where you can find tens of

releases everyday, of every possible genre.

EDIT: technically, when an artist makes his track public via Youtube he is aware, or not, that it is downloadable - so it's a release, anyway. Soundcloud too, when he enables his work to be downloaded, it's a release. Technology has made the boundaries very subtle, thin, sometimes inexistent.

as long as a track isn't available in different formats (MP3, FLAC, etc), it has not been released imo.

EDIT: youtube, soundcloud, etc... no no no, that's not "releasing something". it's for giving people an idea about the tracks. digital online stores, also bandcamp, this is releasing something.

as long as a track isn't available in different formats (MP3, FLAC, etc), it has not been released imo.

EDIT: youtube, soundcloud, etc... no no no, that's not "releasing something". it's for giving people an idea about the tracks. digital online stores, also bandcamp, this is releasing something.

I don't agree about the formats. Again take me as an example: I don't care if SIAM releases his next track via a small goa label, or via a giant like Sony. In the end, I won't buy it, I will download it

from somewhere. Why? Because that's how it works nowadays. So, to me - and to millions - it does not matter if it was officially released or not, as long as it's downloadable from somewhere.

And to me, it was released, because I got it, I can listen to it, I can DJ it. Add to this formula, the poor writing problem - which is the very reason of this thread - and you see people like me

refusing to spend their money on something they probably won't like. All this make Youtube, Soundcloud and the likes, Ektoplazm the best option for getting a track.

I don't buy CDs anymore. This is a trend, the market is so online now that even the recent blu-ray is said to last no more than five years.

It is the end of the music industry as we knew it: artist writes/label releases. I think what works now is: artist writes/uploads somewhere. His work won't sell anyway, but he may get known,

and cash from another source other than selling albums: bookings, for instance.

The only money I will spend on an artist this year is Astral Projection's next album. Hating or loving their next work, it is a must-have for me. Honestly, if I liked, say, what Artifakt 303 did,

I would donwload it from Youtube, would not spend my money on buying his album.

NONSENSE!!!

If I put a track out on Soundcloud for free download it's RELEASED to the public!

I think that if the artist has released it to the public then it is released.

But what if someone stole your track and uploaded it and everyone got hold of it, would that also be released?

NONSENSE!!!

If I put a track out on Soundcloud for free download it's RELEASED to the public!

oh yes? so a crappy 128 kbps MP3 file uploaded to soundcloud counts as proper release now? weird, really.

I think that if the artist has released it to the public then it is released.

But what if someone stole your track and uploaded it and everyone got hold of it, would that also be released?

This happened to Chi-ad in 2006: someone made his whole album available before he could, himself, release it. Which was just a protocol, I think. For, in the end his album would sell only some tens of copies and the whole of his fans would get it via MP3. He, or someone else, would eventually make the whole album downloadable.

And what really matters in this example? Nothing, IMO. What I really cared about was his tracks, not the way it was "released".

oh yes? so a crappy 128 kbps MP3 file uploaded to soundcloud counts as proper release now? weird, really.

Why not? Only 1MB MP3 files would make it as a release?

The only instance where I don't see a Soundcloud/YT track not as a release, is when only part of the track can be listen - say, the first 2 minutes.

And it's not ready to be dwld.

That is an appetizer, IMO. Not a release.

This happened to Chi-ad in 2006: someone made his whole album available before he could, himself, release it. Which was just a protocol, I think. For, in the end his album would sell only some tens of copies and the whole of his fans would get it via MP3. He, or someone else, would eventually make the whole album downloadable.

And what really matters in this example? Nothing, IMO. What I really cared about was his tracks, not the way it was "released".

Don't you care that the guy who made those tracks got screwed and that it might affect his future releases?

Why not? Only 1MB MP3 files would make it as a release?

The only instance where I don't see a Soundcloud/YT track not as a release, is when only part of the track can be listen - say, the first 2 minutes.

And it's not ready to be dwld.

That is an appetizer, IMO. Not a release.

heh, sounds quite strange to me. so actually we can take all full tracks, DJ sets, etc that are available for download and add them to discogs as proper releases. suddenly there will be lots of "new artists".