What is wrong with Neogoa?

Procyon

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate so called neo/new school goa if it blends todays sound of psy with 90s psy, then its alright, it gives it more oomph, it sounds fresh and powerful, but if artists only copy old school sounds with modern synths then its boring wanabe crap that I find lacks spirit, its just not there, no matter how hard you try, the harder you try to be someone else, the farther away you will be from doing things the right way, your own, unique way.

Even Erta Ale ain't as dark, intense or eerie as some old school Goa tracks.

I'm still waiting for something like this

what do you offer if i make a track like this and release it? :P and if i ever get hold of lapsus again, i'll ask him if he wants to do something like this track, his sound is very similar already!

stoned headset.

wait till you see my MDMA ipod

Youtube Records

the moon is a gigantic disc made out of cheese, and it is released on youtube records

The point is that real oldschool goa trance from the 90s has a dirty and grimy undertone. it sounds like dirty bong water, like drinking canned beer in the morning, like smoking pot in public transit and not giving a shit about other passengers, like getting a blowjob while sitting drunk at the beach. "Neogoa" might be nice trance music, but it doesn't sound like all this. it rather sounds like non smoking flights, clean hotel rooms, diet coke and sex with condoms. that's why many people including me don't like it at all.

you should write a trashy novel about your party life, sounds like a bunch of rich & funny comparisons! i would read it!

oh yes? so a crappy 128 kbps MP3 file uploaded to soundcloud counts as proper release now? weird, really.

you got him good there! tell it like it is goddamnit!

you should write a trashy novel about your party life, sounds like a bunch of rich & funny comparisons! i would read it!

it wasn't "party life" actually but it was "funny" indeed. we were high and drunk 24/7, also listening to gangsta rap and heavy metal music but mostly goa trance. no internet, no ipods and all that shit, just bongs, hash, beer and music. and oldschool video games. also lsd and coco now and then. we were really, really white trash, hahaha. and what's even more "funny", almost all people in our part of the city were like that, even those who looked like 100% geeks. i don't want to have all this today, but back then it was just wonderful. and most of today's goa trance doesn't sound like these "good old times", but The Inner Shift by Crossing Mind totally does which is great somehow! :D

it wasn't "party life" actually but it was "funny" indeed. we were high and drunk 24/7, also listening to gangsta rap and heavy metal music but mostly goa trance. no internet, no ipods and all that shit, just bongs, hash, beer and music. and oldschool video games. also lsd and coco now and then. we were really, really white trash, hahaha. and what's even more "funny", almost all people in our part of the city were like that, even those who looked like 100% geeks. i don't want to have all this today, but back then it was just wonderful. and most of today's goa trance doesn't sound like these "good old times", but The Inner Shift by Crossing Mind totally does which is great somehow! :D

Right there it is then, the pen-ultimate compliment for The Inner Shift. Deservedly so, might I say.

The great thing about The Inner Shift is not that all tracks on the album are perfect (they are not, at least not all of them), it's not the melodies, not the fx, not the ideas. it's simply the sound. hard to explain as i don't know anything about music production. for me it sounds like the producer installed a plugin or whatever to his production software that causes something like a dry, dusty sound.

I've got to say I fully know where you're coming from - both regarding Crossing Mind's CD and music in general. I myself few years back really had a hard time adjusting to current music, because a lot of it sounds so sterile, so perfectly controlled and measured, so immensely sculpted and engineered. So much in fact, that if you go to any music site/forum the ratio of discussion on how to master the record vs. how to write interesting compositions is 10:1 (and I'm generous here...). In the old days the music sounded dirty, dusty, sometimes unpredictable and even erroneous with difficult-to-harness synth presets (that could change because of temperature or humidity!), crappy connections between the gear, analogue mixing desks, sounds sampled from vinyls or VHS tapes. It all added to the music sounding more alive, more spontaneous and organic, with incidental imperfections like force-feedbacks, oversteering, oversaturation, clashing, self-resonance, cracks & pops, etc. Nowadays, you just draw a curve in your DAW of choice and the 64bit VST engine makes the job for you - in a scientific, controlled and repeatable manner. Furthermore, the advances in technology made the tools available to just about everyone, with DAWs and VSTs available for free, cheaply or via P2P services. This means everyone can have a go at making music, and unfortunately most of them do. Again, in the old days you needed to buy the gear and you had to learn it, just like you learn guitar or piano, so it meant that only few people - those with required talent, musical education and dedication - were able to produce and release music.

This is not to say that what we have today is totally bad - more advanced tools in hands of capable artists give enormous and almost unlimited possibilities. Problem is, few of them take the advantage of technology at their disposal, instead opting for the "me-too" copy & paste approach, resulting in us having to sift through a lot of shit, derivative crap before finding true gems - like Crossing Mind, , E-mantra, Artha or Portamento.

Sorry for the rant and - mind - it's not only aimed at 'neogoa'. The same thing is visible everywhere - in darkpsy, prog, morning and even down-tempo/chill.