362 replies to this topic

#21 Nefarious

Nefarious

Happy mushroom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

Katatonia, fuck yeah. Dance of December souls is brilliant.

Early My Dying Bride releases I still love.

been a while since I was into metal as a lot of people here! Still love those groups and times spent with that music. Grind especially.

Heard Anathema? Again i only familiar with early stuff. Like My Dying Bride kinda.

Never really into black metal. The scene totally fucking exploded in early nineties and everyone seemed to think they could speed pick a few notes over a constant beat, pretend they were the coldest, most dark forest, my corpse paint and studded leather has longer nails embedded than yours, and you got an evil band!! hilarious.

Of course the bands that were true black metal were so good they inspired these hordes! Still not my thing tho.

Don't make the mistake of sayin "still better than hardstyle (whatever the fuck that is) or Grindcore. tsk tsk. Like saying prog better than GOA. Its all metal, same as its all psy/trance. People have preferences, but no style is superior. Do I like thrash, not really, but its still metal.

Grindcore is fucking great. Same variation as any style, some shit bands, some good ones and some great ones also.

Wont write a pretencious list, but if you can find stuff, check Disembowelment from Australia. Actually manged to pull off a kind of doom grind. As weird as that sounds. Prolly more doom though. Slow and heavy as fuck with moments of faster sections. Great vokills also. Only limited releases, think demo ep and album. All combined on recent re issue. Prev released On Relapse records.

Nice to hear lots others appreciate varied styles. One of the things that makes this site one of the best around.

#22 mono

mono

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Might I add

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Really crazy improvisational live shows, great percussion and violin!

#23 RTP

RTP

46Daz Bad 2 The Bone!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts
  • Interests:Running To Psytrance! And I hope to be able to do this until the day I'm dead!

And drinking Whisky.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

Mortiis was one of my favs. i liked the atmospheres they create, but like any other black metal band they are too much into making themselves like clowns. I like their side project Vond. it's been a looooooooong time since i listened to metal though so everything is blurred. i liked their dark ambient albums :) but i guess those can;t be considered metal! i also like their softer album The Smell Of Rain. even liked the synth pop vocals on Everyone Leaves. :rolleyes:

but i prefer Summoning. and yeah Lugburz is really good :)
back then Nocte Obducta was one of those bands that changed my taste from death metal to atmospheric black metal. the video i posted earlier in this thread is their best track IMO. if you take the harsh vocals out i would still love that song. in general, vocals in black metal bands is something i'm not fond of. it's too, emmm, childish! :unsure:

Yes, I was a huge fan of Mortiis back then aswell. Got into it as he released The Smell of Rain and there was an article in a local music magazine and I saw his appearance and got interested. From the image I thought that it was the most brutal music ever, but then I realized it actually was really damn good! The Smell of Rain is his best album IMO.
The ambient he did I loved too. I got all his ambient albums he did under the name Mortiis. All of them are good, but Født til å Herske and The Stargate are my favourites...

What he did later with The Grudge I didn't like a lot anymore. There's only one song on it that I really like: Way Too Wicked. And I also don't like the image he adopted. He now even ditched the mask! A pity.
However, not long ago I discovered the Some Kind of Heroin remix album and I have to admit that there are some really damn good and driving remixes on it, some even done by Mortiis themselves. I'm seriosuly thinking about buying it, it's great...

lol, Nocte Obducta is a german band, I understand their lyrics :D
But german lyrics in black metal are actually terrible, to me they always come across in a kind of "I want, but I can't" pseudo-epic way ... nah...
And you're right, black metal vocals are always terrible ... grunting, howling, terrible. The only band where I really like it is Finntroll, they're Trolls, they're supposed to grunt :D ... oh and since I'm a fan of Viking Metal, I can bear the vocals there too, because it adds to the atmosphere of battle and excitement...

Although I actually like bands that have the black metal vibe, but have not so terrible vocals. Falkenbach have some good songs in this way, this one for example: ... and Bathory aswell, I'm a big fan of Bathory's later albums.

And I'm a huge fan of big choirs, preferrably man-choirs. Therion are my heroes when it comes to that, they've got the best symphonic arrangement. Opera metal, absolutely wonderful! That's some vocals that fit to the music.

#24 drekmajster

drekmajster

Awaken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:creation

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

Might I add

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Really crazy improvisational live shows, great percussion and violin!

yes! :posford:

#25 p(sy)ayam

p(sy)ayam

Impossible Vortex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Falkenbach :rolleyes: good memories :)

#26 Indred Cold

Indred Cold

Impossible Vortex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Some favs:
Sludge/doom:
Cult Of Luna
Katatonia
Acid Bath
Mindrot
Eyes Of Fire
Neurosis

Progressive/technical/brutal/old school/melodic/etc Death Metal & grindcore/black metal:
Akercocke
Deicide
Amon Amarth
Behemoth
Bloodbath
Cannibal Corpse
Dying Fetus
Nile
Job For A Cowboy
The Berzerker
Cattle Decapitation
Pig Destroyer
Cephalic Carnage
Scar Symmetry

thrash/speed/technical metal:
Slayer
Kreator
Children Of Bodom
Meshuggah
Austrian Death Machine
Chimaira
Lamb Of God

Extreme Gothic Metal:
Cradle Of Filth

#27 danisssy

danisssy

Newcommer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

I swear it seems that psytrance is the second genre of choice for metalheads... or maybe its the other way round. Who knows?

Anyway, really I'm mostly a fan of any metal that can be called epic, but also love a lot of thrash and doom. My choices:

Summoning (as mentioned many times already, I know, but they're too rad not to be mentioned again)
Moonsorrow
Ancient Rites
Lost Horizon
Candlemass
My Dying Bride
Morgion
Falkenbach
Turisas
Judas Priest
Anacrusis
Dark Angel
Arkona
Arcturus

Ahhh, the memories.

#28 snowball

snowball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts
  • Interests:fukitall

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

meshuggah
lamb of god
devildriver
nightrage
soilwork
in flames

theres more but thats what am listening/remember right now

#29 mono

mono

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Some great weirdo metal I bumped upon:

Dog Fashion Disco

Polkadot Cadaver :wacko:

#30 psytones

psytones

Chaotically Operational Defiance

• Members
  • 7,934 posts
  • Interests:pSy(hEdeLi(a

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

Since noone mentioned Marilyn Manson, I'll name Marilyn Manson .

#31 p(sy)ayam

p(sy)ayam

Impossible Vortex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Since noone mentioned Marilyn Manson, I'll name Marilyn Manson .

...and since noone talks about Tiesto in psytrance threads, i'll name DJ Tiesto :P

#32 psytones

psytones

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

...and since noone talks about Tiesto in psytrance threads, i'll name DJ Tiesto :P

:angry: :angry:

Have you heard his old albums like, Portrait Of An American Family and AntiChrist SuperStar?????

Hey maybe it's not Sepeltura, Dimmu Borgir or Red Harvest ..

and besides, what Metal are we talking about, black metal, Death Metal, GrindCore, Trash Metal, Speed Core, White Metal, Chick Metal. Traditional Metal, hair Metal, Progressive Metal, Soft Metal, Doom Metal, Rap Core, Folk Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal, Nu Metal, Power Metal or maybe Funk Metal?

Marilyn Manson FTW!!

On present days I do enjoy a cup of Tool, KoRn, Clawfinger, Deftones, Fear Factory, White Zombie, Slipknot, Seigmen, Faith No More + etc.

Never was into the heavier more death metal stuff that plays on theater and horror. Though many of their lyrics are funny and in their own way, poetic.

#33 Sawfly

Sawfly

Village Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Interests:Pflanzenwespen

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Antichrist Superstar is perhaps MM's only good album but it manages to be one of the best albums I've heard :drama:

#34 psytones

psytones

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Antichrist Superstar is perhaps MM's only good album but it manages to be one of the best albums I've heard :drama:

snort jogging shoes and listen to Mechanical Animals .. :P

its good

#35 murphythecat

murphythecat

Visually distorted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

:angry: :angry:

Have you heard his old albums like, Portrait Of An American Family and AntiChrist SuperStar?????

Hey maybe it's not Sepeltura, Dimmu Borgir or Red Harvest ..

and besides, what Metal are we talking about, black metal, Death Metal, GrindCore, Trash Metal, Speed Core, White Metal, Chick Metal. Traditional Metal, hair Metal, Progressive Metal, Soft Metal, Doom Metal, Rap Core, Folk Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal, Nu Metal, Power Metal or maybe Funk Metal?

Marilyn Manson FTW!!

On present days I do enjoy a cup of Tool, KoRn, Clawfinger, Deftones, Fear Factory, White Zombie, Slipknot, Seigmen, Faith No More + etc.

Never was into the heavier more death metal stuff that plays on theater and horror. Though many of their lyrics are funny and in their own way, poetic.

Faith no more!!!! but its not metal, faith no more is just like soundgarden or alice in chains and nirvana, its called grunge

man, i was listening ten years ago to Korn and deftones!!

#36 FTP

FTP

Impossible Vortex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

snort jogging shoes and listen to Mechanical Animals .. :P

its good

First three albums are all masterpieces, but overall it's terrible to see what Marylin become. It was probably more work of Trent Reznor than talent of Brain behind those.

Decline of quality coming with age is quite a rule in metal scene.... quite a flasback from general, right?

#37 psytones

psytones

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

well he's taking a nosedive with style, at least :P Trent was only involved on ACSS as far as I can remember. After many years I got to say that Holy Wood, ain't that bad eighter. The rest I donno but the last one heart shaped glasses or what ever with two euro dance and club remixes. pff.. art or mock or what the fuck, it sucked.

he was a genious for his role and music, but the druqs burned him.. brain meltdown. pling

oh, hes got a new album out, ... ouch, tacky albm title

#38 FTP

FTP

Impossible Vortex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

well he's taking a nosedive with style, at least :P Trent was only involved on ACSS as far as I can remember. After many years I got to say that Holy Wood, ain't that bad eighter. The rest I donno but the last one heart shaped glasses or what ever with two euro dance and club remixes. pff.. art or mock or what the fuck, it sucked.

he was a genious for his role and music, but the druqs burned him.. brain meltdown. pling

oh, hes got a new album out, ... ouch, tacky albm title

hehe, at first I typed first 4 albums, but then Mechanical animals was just too superior to Holywood. I thought that he was in touch with Trent more in the early age...

never turn your back on a drug; I would say there is more personality failure than drugs abuse. when tha mask eats the persona

#39 psytones

psytones

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

lol :) watch it to the end

#40 Bahamut

Bahamut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,299 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

Well Folks, to those who are Nu around here, I really get Funky on the Powerful smell of Death when I listen to Soft White Trash, Traditional Black filth Metal or Progressive Rape Core in an Industrial setting with some Trashy Goth Chicks on Speed while Grinding cyberdemons in Doom 2, but maybe that's just me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users