Ambient

abasio

Ambient  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of tracks do you like?

• Short Ambient Tracks
    • Long Ambient Tracks

I am curious about what you like with ambient tracks. Do you like short ambient tracks so the sound constantly changes or do you like long ambient tracks that have the time to evolve & tell a story?

I was interested after this conversation in the reviews

Well, perhaps it a greatest hits collection? It is nice to have all the tracks in place. I actually don't like them on the comps, they sound too different from the other material on the comps.

I think Steve Roach is instructive here, his tracks are massive long and don't go anywhere, they change, but don't reach a destination. There are just so many artists who are capable of creating an interesting 3-4 minutes of ideas, but then try and stretch those ideas out into long mixes which end up making you sick and tired of the ideas you liked. In other words, the material overstays its welcome.

My opinion is that the long ambient tracks are okay, but get old really fast. I think the gold standard is:

FSOL Lifeforms.

http://www.discogs.com/release/1130474

Lots of mini tracks on there.

I think ambient died in the 1990s because people got board with the long over indulgent tracks.

:)

Interesting! I'd agree that artists like Steve Roach tend to be too minimal for some but it all comes down to taste. I know some people on this forum that love steve roach to bits. I myself never got into his music. Artists like steve roach make too much music & fail to keep up the quality. I'm sure they make some good stuff but it's hard to find it when they release 3 albums a year (steve roach released 3 albums last year, 1 2CD & 2 3CDs and has already released a 2 CD in 2008) I just don't have the patience to sift through his mountains of production. A lot of ambient artists make too much stuff. If they could put more effort into one album I'm sure I'd be more interested in them.

I also thought that the short tracks in lifeforms felt more like transmissions rather than real tracks but that's just my taste again.

I really don't think ambient died, there has been some great stuff this century & I hope it continues :)

For me I really like long ambient tracks that tell a story. Journey tracks where the music has time to evolve & take us to far away places.. But it was rightly pointed out that that some artists take an idea & just stretch it out so that said idea becomes tired and boring. I'd agree with that but for boring I can just ignore & never listen to again. It really irks me though when I really like a track but it's over before I can get into it. When I feel like the artist could have made a nice long journey but couldn't be bothered.

For me it's journey all the way.

Favourite long journey Tracks

Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris - Hymn 28:09

Jikkenteki - An Angel Takes Flight 27:22

Matt Coldrick & Matt Hillier - Air 23:27

Ishvara - Nomad 21:06

Ishq - Fluid Earth 20:02

The Infinity Project - Under The Overtones 19:58

Solar Fields - Air Song (8am version) 16:39

Solar Fields - Combinations 16:01

Kwook - KwookyWorld 15:22

Total Eclipse - Freefalling Upwards 15:21

The Civilised Electrons - Encounter (In an unexplored nebula) 15:07

Robert Rich & B.Lustmord - Omnipresent Boundary 15:00

Mystery of the Yeti - Welcome To All Extraterrestrials 14:55

Adham Shaikh - Journey To The Sun 14:15

Mathias Grassow & Thomas Weiss - Sights 13:43

Ishq - Cyandragonfly 13:27

Elve - Vale 13:23

Spielerei & Mantacoup - After The Shockwave 12:28

Kris Kylven & Syb-Sonic - Forgotten Souls 12:08

all of these are proper journeys unto themselves

Favourite Short Tracks

Carbon Based Lifeforms World Of Sleepers 5:17

Enigma - The Child In Us 5:06

Amos - Fläktsystem 5:05

Rena Jones - Aurora Borealis 4:53

Cymphonic - Unfoldment 4:12

Secede - Shrine 4:06

Celtic Cross - Louden 3:22

The Infinity Project - Blue Aura 3:19

Rena Jones - From Star To Seed 3:15

Jason Corder & Opium - Neromeccanico 2:46

Tripswitch - Tachyon 2:37

Abakus - Shared Light 2:27

Mahiane - Spathe 1:59

Healer - Ultrarapid 1:35

Enigma - Third Of It's Kind 0:19

The Infinity Project - High Insert 0:06

All of these tracks are great but I can't help wishing they were longer

What do you like from your ambient?

I do like some very long tracks as you can get lost in them but generally I dig the shorter tracks but most of all I love ambient albums which are mixed so it feels like one hour journey when I listen them through ;)

I already wanted to vote for long tracks, but then I realized I actually can't say that.

I like long tracks as well as short ones.

Take for example Makyo ... he's got some quite long tracks such as Vismaya or suzhou River and I absolutely love them. And then there are tracks like some Enigma or for example Shiva Chandra - Chilli Out (an absolutely genious piece), which are just 3 to 5 minutes long and are absolutely perfect as well. And one of my all time favourites, Matenda - Smiri Se, is 8 minutes long, which is in the middle.

And I'd say in the average it comes to medium-long tracks. 7 to 9 minutes or so. Carbon Based Lifeforms' tracks are about that length or even shorter. That's what I like. Can be sometimes longer, can be sometimes shorter, but when you add it up to average then that value would come out.

Is that long or short now?

I prefer the middle lengh ones but I prefer rythmic ambient tracks with goa elements, like Blue planet corp ambient tracks or old electric universe ambient tracks. I don´t like the beatless ambient trakcs, I get nervous listening them.

+1 Nextgen :D Depends totally. Some tracks just would be dull if they were longer than they are, cause the story has been told within the short time. And of course vice versa.

Beatless tracks for me is :wub: but I still like that there is rhythm... ie. bubbling synths or something :D a bassline...

Favourite long journey Tracks

Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris - Hymn 28:09

Solar Fields - Air Song (8am version) 16:39

Kris Kylven & Syb-Sonic - Forgotten Souls 12:08

The above quoted tracks are my three all time favorite ambient tracks I reckon. The first being the single, absolutely finest piece of ambient music I have ever come across. From my own arsenal of tunes I add:

Pleiadians- Celaeno

Shpongle- ...and the day turned to night

From Within- Snake charmer

From Within- ALL 3 tracks from the seond installation of this classic and utterly unbelievable trilogy!!!

From the shorter tracks I absolutely adore the following:

June Rashava & Senzar- Beautiful you

Solar Fields- Time slide

Miranda- Weightless

Speedy J- Lanzarote

Generally I like long, dreamy, story telling ambient tracks, like the three I quoted above. In order to work for me, ambient music must slowly evolve, lure you in inch by inch, with its underlying harmony and subdued melodies and sounds, pushing atmospheric soundscapes to the forefront.

I like both short and long tracks and both short and long tracks can be boring, or not.

But certain moods and entrancing states can only be achieved with long, slowly developing music.

Maybe some people are spoiled by short music with instant appeal and don't have the patience to listen to and discover longer slowly developing music (that requires repeated listening).

You shouldn't listen to ambient with any expectations, just let it flow.

Ambient is about the journey, not the destination. :) If you can't even listen to a track because of its length, I don't see how you can appreciate or understand ambient in general.

I like both short and long tracks and both short and long tracks can be boring, or not.

But certain moods and entrancing states can only be achieved with long, slowly developing music.

Maybe some people are spoiled by short music with instant appeal and don't have the patience to listen to and discover longer slowly developing music (that requires repeated listening).

You shouldn't listen to ambient with any expectations, just let it flow.

Ambient is about the journey, not the destination. :)If you can't even listen to a track because of its length, I don't see how you can appreciate or understand ambient in general.

+1

I prefer each tune's ending to be mixed with the next tune's beginning so it feels like one mix.I can only appreciate ambient when listening to the whole album,seeing it as long journey so who cares if the tunes inbetween are short or long.

To be honest though i'm listening to ambient only just before bed and during so basically most of the ambient i've heard was in my sleep.With a few exceptions.

If it is really good then long, otherwise short as possible. :P

But isn't that with any music? :rolleyes:

Ambient music should be listenable as background music, but can be complex when listening "in-depth" (Who am i quoting?)

Having said that, as long as there is some weird form of rhythm, I'm all ears, and will try to hear it through to the end... :)

And yes, I do prefer long ambient tracks. They especially need time to build up...