Reviewers

Anu Katariina

I have been thinking lately why the reviewers are just a few. Can we do something about that? Because producers and labels really want feedback and I think it would come faster if more ppl would take the challenge to write a review. But it requires a "climate change", maybe, to bring more encouraging attitude towards the new reviewers in order for them to have the courage to try.

To make a review of course needs knowledge and objectivity and it is not for everybody, but I still think there are good writers here more than just those few. One important thing about a review is to start a discussion of the release and I think not every single detail has to be covered in the original review. At this point I also want to thank our all-time reviewers of using their valuable time and effort to benefit the community. In my opinion Label news and announcements & review section are the most important areas in this forum.

I'd write reviews, if I could. I'll quote the famous "writing about music is like dancing about architecture" meaning that I just can't put music into words. Believe me I've tried. And I refuse to publish some half-assed garbage that makes no sense.

@Paul Eye: with your experience and history in the scene I'd never think you would produce any "half-assed" text. Don't be too hard on yourself. I have seen your comments underneath reviews. And you betcha I was thinking of e.g. you when I thought about the potential reviewers ;)

It is true... We need more reviewers... Only Trance2moveU is doing good at the moment, and here and there another good review... But not many.

I think honestly all psynewsers should simply write more quick notes about reviews, impressions, favourite tracks etc... Now it feels you have to write a HUGE review, which is not the case of course...This will also make a cd more objectively reviewed.. 1 impression is only 1 of course, the more the better!

• Like 2

Yes, Mr.Paul, if you can just mention your favourite tracks. That would be enough. You have soooo much of chill and so many hidden gems. I consider you to be our (Psynews) chill master. If not review may be a year by year essential albums list by Paul thread?

I Wil follow Joske's late 90's reviewing style if it's not a problem ;)

Again, where is Abasio? I really liked reading his reviews.

oh, Antic was a good reviewer as well. (Checkout Nervasystem, he had given his word to me to write a review of Psychowave album. But now he is gone!)

I would look forward to read from Mergi, Jisnegro and Manuser. Of course all of you'se! ;)

Apart from providing producers and labels with feedback, the review section also does the job of disseminating obscure & essential albums which I consider to be more important (at least for myself)

Everyone can write a review. Everyone. It doesn't have to be a wall of text or a gif happy comedy show. There is no wrong way to do it...unless it's the wrong way. And by wrong way I mean not telling the audience what you like or dislike about an album or compilation. Just put the essentials in there and then a few words describing it. I've got zero training in writing. I've never met an artist or attended a party.

I mean, have you seen some of my reviews? It's not Shakespeare.

Some of the best reviews I've read are the ones that bring an album to my attention that I wouldn't normally have discovered. Generate discussion and different points of view.

• Like 1

It is true... We need more reviewers... Only Trance2moveU is doing good at the moment, and here and there another good review... But not many.

I think honestly all psynewsers should simply write more quick notes about reviews, impressions, favourite tracks etc...

Totally agree with you.

By the way Bill writes nice reviews, he is a bit less online lately but he was a review machine earlier this year and you can feel the passion through his reviews. But agree, people should not feel discourage by thinking we need 20 + lines texts. Sometimes when I notice an album from several years ago is missing, it is a good reason for me to start a topic and do a quick review (did one just yesterday), just so that people can be aware of the existence of this CD and perhaps they can write a longer review themself later on.

• Like 2

Yes, Bill writes nice reviews. There was this dude, fatkidwitjetpack owning the review section with T2MU. He's long gone though.

I will start writing more reviews(Just wrote my first). But i got shit knowledge about the terminology of the sounds , say like reverb, synth, snare etc etc. If anyone can help me out with that, things will be easier :) TIA.

You don't have to bother that much with techical-stuff and terminology, I'm sure many people who are checking reviews are not music producers and just like to get the feedback how someone experienced the music. Few years ago I started doing some reviews but nowdays I really don't have any free time to post something new, even there is a lot of great music released this year. What is good when it comes to Psynews, there is different styles of reviews that has been posted in recent years, some tend to analyse each track, some others focus more on describing the overall feeling of certain release. Let's hope more people will give a try and do some reviews since they're very important, to artists and to labels. I always check what people have to say about the music we release and what they like or they don't like. It helps a lot to improve our work - music, artwork, promotion, all that interesting stuff...

• Like 1

I think honestly all psynewsers should simply write more quick notes about reviews, impressions, favourite tracks etc... Now it feels you have to write a HUGE review, which is not the case of course...This will also make a cd more objectively reviewed.. 1 impression is only 1 of course, the more the better!

Yes it's not mandatory to write a huge review, like in the guidelines, the review doesn't have to be longer than something like this. Short and sweet. Something like 300-400 words is super easy to achieve. I still think maintaining the first post being at least somewhat objectively useful would be good.