New update of the PDF, you can download the new version.

Here is the list of changes that have been made:

- Addition of a new sub-style with additionnal page of albums : "Psy Tech"

Merry Christmas ;)

41k5.jpg

9h10.jpg

eobv.jpg

Edited by Lightforce
  • Like 1

I know I said that the updates and additions would be terminated but upon reflection it seemed to me useful to add Psy Tech in the sub-styles list ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed some discussions about this topic on facebook on the Suntrippers group, have a look, really interesting to keep your file updated!

Thanks ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good guide.

Ozric Tentacles ‎– Arborescence should not be included in the Psybient group in my opinion. They are pioneers in Space Rock. Eat Static came from Ozric Tentacles, now that I can understand.

Psy Tech is also called Psychedelic Techno. You can mention that in the guide too.

Ozric Tentacles ‎– Arborescence should not be included in the Psybient group in my opinion. They are pioneers in Space Rock.

They're pioneers in Psybient too because they use psybient in their music ^_^

Psy Tech is also called Psychedelic Techno. You can mention that in the guide too.

Nope, sorry. Psychedelic Techno isn't Psy Tech. "Psychedelic Techno" is Techno with a research of psychedelism, but their is no Psytrance blends, while Psy Tech is Tech Trance blended with Psytrance ;)

But maybe am I wrong. Others, what do you think about this ?

Edited by Lightforce

Nope, sorry. Psychedelic Techno isn't Psy Tech. "Psychedelic Techno" is Techno with a research of psychedelism, but their is no Psytrance blends, while Psy Tech is Tech Trance blended with Psytrance ;)

The only time I've seen the term Psychedelic Techno is in Psytrance compilations like Goa-Head.

R-134066-1164319355.jpeg.jpg

Although in the case of Goa-Head they mostly meant progressive than actual Psy Tech.

Anyway I personally use both Psychedelic Techno and Psy Tech for the same music, but I'm not into Techno so I don't know if Psychedelic Techno (as a Techno genre) exists.

I don't know if Psychedelic Techno (as a Techno genre) exists.

It exists. That's why I think we shouldn't add this term in the definition.

They're pioneers in Psybient too because they use psybient in their music ^_^

You're not wrong about including Ozric Tentacles as being influential in Psybient genre.

But instead of mentioning their album "Arborescence", it would be better to include "Ozric Tentacles - Erpland". Simon Posford, in interviews, has mentioned that he was influenced by every track in the album Erpland (except for the track Erpland itself).

You can read the interviews here:

1. http://www.harderfaster.net/text/features/12074

2. https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/37594-artist-hallucinogen/

Also note that the album Erpland was released in 1990, so predates Arborescence by four years.

Anyway I personally use both Psychedelic Techno and Psy Tech for the same music.

I agree here. If Psy Tech and Psychedelic Techno are separate styles, then the line between them is blurry.

I've always thought that psytrance artists borrowed elements from techno to create "psychedelic techno". One must take into account where such artists are performing. If techno, blended with psychedelic elements, is being played in psytrance festivals, then "psychedelic techno" should be counted as a psytrance style.

This article by Basilisk of Ektoplazm is worth reading: http://www.ektoplazm.com/blog/exploring-the-borderlands-of-techno-and-psytrance

Can you please give examples or recommendations for 'psychedelic techno' artists who only perform in the techno scene?

I don't know artists only in this style but I know some of them that have made some Psychedelic Techno like Wolfgang Voigt or Acronym

Edited by Lightforce

your "psy tech" is identical with my definition of "psytek" (i.e. psy-techtrance or psytrance blended with harder mechanical sounding techno — the delta, mos, kopfuss resonator ...). "psychedelic techno" is a term i often see applied to proggy/minimal hybrids or to minimal that tries to be psychedelic in a way. it's a totally different kind of music. there are a few compilation over at ektoplazm.

It's ok for Ozric tentacles, I've replaced "Arborescence" by "Erpland".

I also took the opportunity to update the definition of Psybient as well as that of Goa Trance and Psychedelic Trance.

- Update of definitions for Psychedelic Trance (first page), Goa Trance and Psybient

- Some albums replacements

Is the link on the first page of this thread still the link to the latest version?

Yes, with Dropbox links never change when files are updated

IMO, you should add a date to the actual document ("as of xx/xx/xx").

Ok I've added the date in the name of the documents :)

Edited by Lightforce

• 4 weeks later...

- Addition of the "Dark progressive Psytrance" style in Zenonesque definition

- Some albums replacements

lmfao

i appear to have a completely different take on a good chunk of this stuff

this is amazing

Man With No Name "Moment of Truth" is in the same grouping as Shaolin Wooden Men "Supermindway"... bwahahahaha

Man With No Name "Moment of Truth" is in the same grouping as Shaolin Wooden Men "Supermindway"... bwahahahaha

"Moment of Truth" is not only Goa Trance, it's a blend of Goa Trance and "classic" Trance, so it fits the definition of Experimental about unconventional blends.

"Moment of Truth" is not only Goa Trance, it's a blend of Goa Trance and "classic" Trance, so it fits the definition of Experimental about unconventional blends.

Experimental is about going outside of techno/trance styles of music, not combining one kind of trance with another.

And Erpland is even less of a psybient album than Arborescence. An influence on psybient, yeah. But trance as a genre didn't even exist when it was recorded, much less psytrance or psybient.