Last movie you saw?

Penzoline

• 3 years later...

I'm currenly watching the horror movie Hereditary on Netflix. I really like it so far, quite original. I hope it keeps on and gets even better. No cheap jump-scares or other typical tricks so common today so far atleast. :)

*Update, still not finished it and things could change, but so far it's not really a horror movie per se. More like a drama movie with some supernatural touches. Not really sure what to think of this movie, it's very original, and visually nice, but it lacks something. I'm leaning on kinda meh. :D It's certainly not scary. Which was what I was looking for, something that gives you the chills.

*update Hereditary gets more intense now towards the end, so I'll save my final verdict until it's done :) still have 36 minutes left of it. Yeah done now it became super creepy at the end. Really deranged stuff. Very nice twist in intensity levels in the final act, and certainly became more horror than just drama with some supernatural touches. So the gradual development was really good, they kinda lure the viewer into somekind of comfort zone, so that when  you're guard is down they shock you. :D

5 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Watching Seven, The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption. 

*OK finished Seven, what an overhyped meh movie.

it was good back when was released very original we have all been de sensitized to these types of movies now and brains been re wired

2 hours ago, technosomy said:

it was good back when was released very original we have all been de sensitized to these types of movies now and brains been re wired

Yeah that would make sense, it started of good though, and it sure had its moments. But overall it felt a bit over the top in a cartoony way, which might've been its charm to some of course. It reminded me of watching something like an anime series. The last half of the movie it just went a bit overboard I think and lost any subtlety. Visually it was interesting in the first half, and the cinematography was not bad. Very pristine image and good balance of light and dark in the scenes. But yeah the movie became a bit over-exaggerated as the plot unfolded. And the gorey aspect as you say didn't really have the shock-value it surely must've had upon release, compared to the uncanny realism achieved in some of the more recent movies/series. The scene of the first murder victim, was the most intense and well-made I think. It looked really good and the tension was palpable in that house.

9 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Yeah that would make sense, it started of good though, and it sure had its moments. But overall it felt a bit over the top in a cartoony way, which might've been its charm to some of course. It reminded me of watching something like an anime series. The last half of the movie it just went a bit overboard I think and lost any subtlety. Visually it was interesting in the first half, and the cinematography was not bad. Very pristine image and good balance of light and dark in the scenes. But yeah the movie became a bit over-exaggerated as the plot unfolded. And the gorey aspect as you say didn't really have the shock-value it surely must've had upon release, compared to the uncanny realism achieved in some of the more recent movies/series. The scene of the first murder victim, was the most intense and well-made I think. It looked really good and the tension was palpable in that house.

i saw it at the movies when it came out and people were walking out!
not because it was bad, just to much!
i use to love horror and gore, but i think having kids definatley softened me there, and then i watched hostel 2
that movie did something to me, since then, i can't watch that type of violence, makes me sick to the stomach
oh how times have changed

On 8/10/2020 at 3:33 PM, technosomy said:

i saw it at the movies when it came out and people were walking out!
not because it was bad, just to much!
i use to love horror and gore, but i think having kids definatley softened me there, and then i watched hostel 2
that movie did something to me, since then, i can't watch that type of violence, makes me sick to the stomach
oh how times have changed

It's interesting to note how things have changed. I'm halfway through now with The Shawshank Redemption. What a contrast to these more gory/violence obsessed movies. Such a classy movie so far, I mean despite taking place in a rather horrendous setting(a prison). The focus is never the violence per se, it's just there as a natural part of the setting/story.

And sure there might be some bruised up faces, and people getting very violently treated by the correctional officers or their inmates. But yeah it's dealt with in a subtle way which carries the story forward in the best way possible. I'm quite sure that if this book would've been made into a new movie today, the violence would probably have taken center-stage with nauseating amounts of blood and closeups.

16 minutes ago, AstralSphinx said:

It's interesting to note how things have changed. I'm halfway through now with The Shawshank Redemption. What a contrast to these more gory/violence obsessed movies. Such a classy movie so far, I mean despite taking place in a rather horrendous setting(a prison). The focus is never the violence per se, it's just there as a natural part of the setting/story.

And sure there might be some bruised up faces, and people getting very violently treated by the correctional officers or their inmates. But yeah it's dealt with in a subtle way which carries the story forward in the best way possible. I'm quite sure that if this book would've been made into a new movie today, the violence would probably have taken center-stage with nauseating amounts of blood and closeups.

for sure, it's one of the greatest films, and the ultimate heroes journey

• Like 1

Currently on a horror movie/horror series spree. Watched: Annabelle Comes Home, which I really enjoyed. Also watched Brahms 2 at the cinema, knowing full well that it was a mediocre movie at best. And it sure was, the story was lacking, still there's not much to chose from within the horror genre right now at the cinemas. I still enjoyed it for what it was, it's always nice to see how the effects and designs are in new horror movies, and also if there's any good music/sound effects.

Watching The Haunting of Hill House, and very much enjoying it. And just started The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Perhaps a horror movies/series thread could be started, if there isn't already one suitable. Seeing as this genre is more popular than ever. They will also show a lot of classic movies here in Sweden this autumn in the cinemas, among them The Shining. Which I'm very much looking forwards to see in the best format possible. I've only seen it on VHS, DVD, Bluray, TV and on streaming services.

Also watching Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, not sure what to make of it yet, so far I haven't felt anything remotely scary. The setting is quite nice though, the typical high school/halloween narrative, inspired a lot by Stephen King it seems. Complete with corn fields, scarecrows and a haunted mansion.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, technosomy said:

doctor sleep..... wow amazing, worth watching

Got really curious about this movie after finishing The Haunting of Hill House, since it's the same director Mike Flanagan. And also because it's a "spiritual" sequel to The Shining. :)

Currently watching Don't Breathe, holy fuck what an intense movie lol. Really good and original so far. It reminds me of the claustrophobic scene in The Silence of The Lambs, when Clarice Starling enters a house with no lights.

*Finished Hereditary now, the final act was reaaaally good, a truly deranged movie. :ph34r: The plot twist/weird satanic vibes at the end reminded me a lot of the Roman Polanski movie Rosemary's Baby. Hereditary has a really well-thought-out gradual development into total pandemonium.

And started watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Seems promising so far. :) Afterwards it's time for Insidious.

*Really enjoyed The Autopsy of Jane Doe, although it ended a bit unsatisfying, they had a super good oportunity to take it a bit further in the final act, but it ended rather abrubtly. Very novel concept and execution, perhaps they ran out of time or had budget constraints. I wanted to know more about the witch background, it was intriguing.

Watched Event Horizon, hadn't seen it in many years. Not bad, quite an original idea, combining the "haunted house" horror template with a space ship setting. Obviously inspired by Alien and Hellraiser and also a bit by The Shining I think. This movie reminds me of the Dead Space games, although it's obviously the movie that came before those games.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:57 AM, AstralSphinx said:

Got really curious about this movie after finishing The Haunting of Hill House, since it's the same director Mike Flanagan. And also because it's a "spiritual" sequel to The Shining. :)

Currently watching Don't Breathe, holy fuck what an intense movie lol. Really good and original so far. It reminds me of the claustrophobic scene in The Silence of The Lambs, when Clarice Starling enters a house with no lights.

*Finished Hereditary now, the final act was reaaaally good, a truly deranged movie. :ph34r: The plot twist/weird satanic vibes at the end reminded me a lot of the Roman Polanski movie Rosemary's Baby. Hereditary has a really well-thought-out gradual development into total pandemonium.

And started watching The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Seems promising so far. :) Afterwards it's time for Insidious.

*Really enjoyed The Autopsy of Jane Doe, although it ended a bit unsatisfying, they had a super good oportunity to take it a bit further in the final act, but it ended rather abrubtly. Very novel concept and execution, perhaps they ran out of time or had budget constraints. I wanted to know more about the witch background, it was intriguing.

will check them out, have couple other ones i seen you might like then but can't remember names at moment

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Watched Event Horizon, hadn't seen it in many years. Not bad, quite an original idea, combining the "haunted house" horror template with a space ship setting. Obviously inspired by Alien and Hellraiser and also a bit by The Shining I think. This movie reminds me of the Dead Space games, although it's obviously the movie that came before those games.

One of my favourite sci fi classics, along with Alien.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

One of my favourite sci fi classics, along with Alien.

Yeah really cool stuff, I love how the derelict space ship Event Horizon, even has that eerie look reminiscent of a haunted house. This concept should've been explored more, a TV-series within the Event Horizon universe could've been very nice I think. :) Overall I don't think there is so much sci-fi space horror available? Only ones I can think of really is this movie and Alien and Aliens(although more action flick than Alien). The Predator/AVP movies fit slightly into the genre, but they more often take place on earth. Prometheus is good too IMO, but it lacks the horror vibe of Alien and Event Horizon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Only ones I can think of really is this movie and Alien and Aliens(although more action flick than Alien). The Predator/AVP movies fit slightly into the genre, but they more often take place on earth. Prometheus is good too IMO, but it lacks the horror vibe of Alien and Event Horizon.

Prometeus has great aesthetics but it raises more questions than answers. And I won't mention Alien/Covenant here. Life (2017) was not bad but very similar to Alien. Predator I think is more of an action movie, I have fond memories of the first two films but I think it shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with Alien(s) and Event Horizon (and I'd better pretend I never saw  the 2018 movie).

If someone knows some good sci fi horrors with space aesthetics, I'm all ears

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Prometeus has great aesthetics but it raises more questions than answers. And I won't mention Alien/Covenant here. Life (2017) was not bad but very similar to Alien. Predator I think is more of an action movie, I have fond memories of the first two films but I think it shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with Alien(s) and Event Horizon (and I'd better pretend I never saw  the 2018 movie).

If someone knows some good sci fi horrors with space aesthetics, I'm all ears

We think the same on this I see. :) I need to check Life out, and yes hear our call! Anyone who knows something suspenseful and freightening, that takes place in a space setting let us know. 

Yeah I very much looked forwards to Alien Covenant, and  even purchased it blindly, putting way too much faith in Ridley Scott. It was a total disaster of a movie, and it made me appreciate Prometheus even more, which was more subtle and introspective.

• Like 1

Pandorum seems to fit the bill but for some reason i wasn't overly impressed. Maybe i need to watch it one more time.

Another one, not really about space but it deals with aliens - The Fourth Kind. It gets mostly bad reviews but for some reason it really scared the shit out of me. I had a terrible hangover when i watched it tho, maybe that's the reason.

On 8/16/2020 at 7:21 AM, AstralSphinx said:

We think the same on this I see. :) I need to check Life out, and yes hear our call! Anyone who knows something suspenseful and freightening, that takes place in a space setting let us know. 

Yeah I very much looked forwards to Alien Covenant, and  even purchased it blindly, putting way too much faith in Ridley Scott. It was a total disaster of a movie, and it made me appreciate Prometheus even more, which was more subtle and introspective.

i believe the new pometheus/alien film is currently in pre production

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Matrix binge, on the first movie now, shit...still good :) no wonder it was so widely sampled within psytrance. Full of classic oneliners. 1999 what a year heh, the Nokia "Banana phone" etc. I saw this movie in the cinema when it premiered and I hope they'll show it again remastered for imax or dolby cinema/atmos.

I think this movie is beautiful, not just in terms of its visual aesthetics, which are really great btw, but also in how philosophical it is. It has the same vibe going as the animated Ghost In Shell from the 90's. Lot's of existential reflections and questions regarding the nature of reality.

As a cyberpunk flick it also follows in the footsteps set by its predecessors in the genre, namely Blade Runner, Terminator 1 & 2, Total Recall and Ghost In The Shell in particular for its very slick cyberpunk-spin on martial arts. It takes lots of cues from the Terminator 2 in particular, with its take on the sentient/hostioe AI plot. It's more or less a carbon copy of Skynet, somewhat reimagined of course which gives it a unique twist.

Black Mirror Bandersnatch, so cool/trippy/weird stuff. :D The LSD scene in particular was very realistic.

Gonna have to rewatch it a couple of times to see all the endings (10 in total) and different scenes/scenarios.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...