V/A - Temple Of Chaos

Jon Cocco

V/A - Temple of Chaos
June, 2010
Suntrip Records

suncd19medium.jpg

1. Khetzal - Rosin Memories
2. K.O.B. - Lost Belly (Of Civilization)
3. Daimon - Codex
4. Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect Invisibility
5. Merr0w - Citrus Circus
6. Filteria - Illogical Logic
7. Crossing Mind - Cyclone In Your Heart
8. Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion

Temple of Chaos is the second release by Suntrip Records this year, and it is their most aggressive, acid-laced compilation to date. Whereas Energy Waves was bright (morning/sunrise), Temple of Chaos is dark (in comparison). This is the nighttime half to the Yin-Yang. And while there are elements of beauty, I think (not just myself but) many of us have been craving something less lighthearted for a while. An album that ditches the upbeat melodies for one more driving, psychedelic, twisted, visceral, etc. I miss the days of Tandu's Multimoods, Toi-Doi's Technologic, Hallucinogen, Pleiadians (among others), when there seemed to be no rules. No boundaries. And while this can't replace those, it is a great step in the direction that was once, and still is darkly magical and at times, edgy, exciting, and absorbing.

1. Khetzal - Rosin Memories sees a strong return from Khetzal after a several year hiatus from Goa-Trance. I can't believe its been half a decade since the beautiful Corolle album! This track is filed with so many elements, both atmospherically and otherwise, that it's difficult to describe. Next track! Just kidding. A shivering (like a blade spinning in the distance) sound moves closer and further away in the opening minute. Numerous sounds appear in the environment, and the beat arrives soon after. The first several minutes develop a braiding rhythm. A delicious sound fusion at 2:13 enhances the world that sounds as if beauty moves with urgency. Sustained sounds swim frequently, blending into the stream until a brief interlude. The music seems to lighten up, offering a pleasant tune that reminds me a little of RA's work... until quickly diving into thick atmosphere, and switching tones at 3:33 for a more paramount, perilous mood in comparison. The beat evaporates, ditching the melodies and here is the continuation to my favorite part! At 4:06 the melodies are gone; the vehicle drives into an acid-twisting, at least more aggressive (in comparison) environment. This part could have been developed a little longer, as the braiding sounds (with added elements) gradually sow themselves into the liquid fabric. I think that the song had an opportunity to have an amazing, more daring final third as well. The music towards the end seems to tread (like a spirit) between realms darkness and light. It would have been cool simply put, a more zesty, interesting ending took place. Although there are several tracks I've enjoyed more by Khetzal (and a part of me is just happy to see him back), this is a radically different, intriguing, and well done number. B+

2. K.O.B. - Lost Belly (Of Civilization) really has to release an album one day. His style strips the melody heavy emphasis of Filteria and focuses on the pure psychedelia, driving and twisted-effect zest of Psytrance without abandoning cleverly integrated atmospheric/melody work. This is one of those rich tracks that could be an opening on Halluciongen's next album; I say that in reminiscence to The Lone Deranger's super opening. After an intriguing buildup, this one takes off at 2:34, rocketing (without too much intensity) like a spiral dragon, diving in and out of the sand (moving) across the dessert. I love how much is achieved with minimal (to virtually no) melody use in the first 3-4 minutes! Naturally, when one appears at 3:42, it grabs my attention, moving the beat to the side which eventually returns to enforce the flow at 4:19. This is a great part. We're treated to all elements combined after a brief spotlight had been removed to accommodate the new sound. As the vehicle moves forward, things heat up; they become more twisted and acidy. Soundscapes skip, the echoing (deeper toned) siren-esque melody disappears, and a wonderful concoction of psychedelic rhythms are given time to breath, develop, and infect the senses. I can't make sense of all the subtle sounds, which may make sense if I was in another state. A (not necessarily interlude but) section of hallucinating bliss transforms the atmosphere until the beat is nearly gone. And at 7:49 the music erupts, as an evolved complex of chaotic/driving energy. <--- Great (avoided from being overdone or too lengthy) finish. This is an excellent, unpredictable, and psychedelic nighttime number. A-

3. Daimon (Antares) - Codex grabs my attention early on. Once the beat begins, it's already developed into a building current, and is soon engaged with more tenancity at 1:19. A psy-effect melody lead (if you can call it that?) ignites us deeper via tone. It's strong, and keeps the experience magnetic as it travels deeper into this energy warp. Joined by numerous, catchy, and supporting sounds. One that I find compelling arrives at 2:38. It is this other (lower note) leading sound that pulls me into the world more than any track on the compilation so far. Acid sounds and floating textures accompany the environment as the story becomes more psychedelic, and we're only halfway through! I don't know what it is about the sounds/rhythms on this track; I feel hooked by them, absorbed. I love the Goa sound generated here; it's arresting, changing, and emotive in a surreal way. As opposed to fading out via interludes, the song continuously tweaks and perfects its juicy approach, lifting higher (energy wise) to an outstanding, screaming and dynamic segment around 7:00. So it avoids being too traveling. More tasty sounds and effects are integrated into the recipe. This is one of those songs that sounds almost dreamy due to its hypnotic feel, yet it is determined, rewarding, and insightful throughout. Wonderful track! A-

4. Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect Invisibility is a return to more crazy-acid insanity after the previous number. Surprisingly, it's the melodies I most enjoy after the opening breakout via psychedelic sounds that appear to fly (at times literally) out of the song. A large focus here is the psychedelic, dynamic aspect, and it's well done. The part from around 2:54 to 3:16 (or 3:42) is very psychedelic and melody-free, and it is this synth part that is a little too much for my preference; although various lovers of psychedelic trance may eat it this acidy treat. What I enjoy here is the more musical (and psychedelic) from 3:45 (right after the voice sample) to 4:34 part. To me, this section comes close to the perfect balance of chaos and harmony. The track is more synth/acid than previous numbers, and achieves solid results with less. Also catchy are the claps, though they get a little repetitive into the second half, a small nitpick. Fresher melodies join the twisted, acid backdrop that soon changes temporally; I think the backdrop could have used less returning to. In other words, more building/variation as the song progressed would have been cool. Overall this is a psychedelic, energetic number that will likely appeal to numerous listeners right away. Currently it's my least favorite track on the album, though on virtually every compilation, I always find at least one or two tracks I enjoy less. I give these artists credit for taking some chances. There appears to be some serious, experimental work here, and the melodies are solid. I feel like the song deserves more praise but we'll see what others think. Great track. B+

5. Merr0w - Citrus Circus is THE dark, crazy, powerful, and relentless track (more aggressive and psychedelic than Ka-Sol's Scraqp on Apsara IMO) on the compilation. I feel like I have to get this out of my system. Last year (2009) Amanians released a song called Fireworks on the kickass People Walk Funny compilation. This song (to me) sounds as if as Merr0w heard that track, and through Merr0ws vision, gave it the complimentary (with justice to) melody approach that the Amanian track lacked. This song is like a tornado -- a TSUNAMI -- with a Matrix-esque score in its final third, oozing emotion. The song is brave in its uncompromising direction. Yes it's aggressive, sensational, and arguably angry or wild as hell. It's loaded with an infectiously developing, living and breathing current, and I feel completely arrested, provoked, and excited while listening to it. This is one of those tracks that could have been repetitive, had it not been for the artists diligence to take risks and successfully sculpture an energy of such magnitude. The track sounds more like an event. It never loses composure, and follows one general path to ridiculously amazing effect. This is intense, catchy, and gripping. Fantastic work. A

6. Filteria - Illogical Logic could have been a K.O.B. track had I not seen the track list. Sure they're melodies. But the sounds selected are different from any Filteria song I'm familiar with. We dive into an energy current early on (after an interesting albeit strange voice sample). Soon after, a spontaneous selection of melodies arrive, reminding me of the ultra-catchy computerized (melody) world in Electrypnose's underrated "Funked Up" album. This song however, is nuts; it's mixed extremely well. It's also innovative, fun to see Filteria continue to innovate. A more realized high-energy rhythm enters around 2:00, and since the Daze of Our Lives album, I've noticed more juicy melody work from the artist. Not to mention the K.O.B. influence here, primarily the solid section from 2:50 to 3:16; it seems that Filteria has learned a thing or two from K.O.B., and vice-versa. And then there's the gripping improvement to an already blazing ride, from 3:17 forward. Wonderful sounds are continuously integrated into a psychedelic, twisting, and acidy, shifting backdrop. A continuation of the voice sample takes place at 4:15 before the vehicle takes off again. More altered layers and tasty streams (the part around 5:31 to 5:54 is excellent!) appear. The melody heavy (more maximal) section dissolves to accommodate an arresting segment, before an incredibly infectious event via 6:24. The sheer rush is soon accompanied by a twisted sound effect, as if Nintendo Mascot Mario (altered sound included) just died. That may be an odd analogy. The effect here is effective. The song ends with the full voice sample, so one can attempt to make sense of it. Personally I find that the voice sample does not enhance the song in any way. Also, the general focus on higher pitched sounds may be a bit too much for a few listeners (I had to lower the volume a little, unlike the other tracks because my ears started to hurt). Some of the track's highlights however are the melodies (how they sound and are utilized), as well as the non-maximal (at times, what I call K.O.B.) influence. I love songs that start off good and get better as they progress. Excellent track. A-

7. Crossing Mind - Cyclone In Your Heart took time to grow on me. It's less melody friendly, more psychedelic in the acid sense via the Perfect Invisibility track. Yet this seems to soak every sound in acid before letting it loose out the speakers. Various sounds support the acidy melody lead in addition to subtle, barely noticeable details. The song starts out as if we're waiting outside a nightclub. Just as we enter the dance space, the beat is overrun by a thick storm of psy/crazy overload. Also cool is the general melody lead and later on, the change up in rhythm (from 6:07 to 6:24) after the beat-free interlude. There's a subtle, echoed sound too in the background (like a gentle beeping) that compliments (maybe it's an echo from another layer. I don't know). The song would have been better had more innovation (and sound variety) taken place in the last third especially. The track returns to its general sound in the last act, as opposed to refreshing our senses with something new. Lastly, I initially found the synth lead a little monotonous, but its grown on me. Still more overall sound/melody variety in the song would have been nice. This is a hard, rough, and aggressive track. It's just not what I consider great (I am between a B and B+ here). B+

8. Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion I would have never expected to be what it becomes based upon its opening sound. Here is a song that grows, from a fairly simple patch of soil, into a blossoming, delightful tree of life surrounded by a land of magic mushrooms. The first few minutes a healthy, soundscape-developing movement. Around the third minute enters a skipping sound, varied and accompanied with twisting fireflies, beetles; the song seems to come to life. A subtle buildup soon takes a place inviting a boost of energy into the rhythm as 4:05. Soon after, an infectiously skipping and dynamic melody arrives, and is complimented by numerous skipping treats. The track grows more hypnotic, catchy. Into the sixth minute enters the blissful touch of ambient notes. They're beautiful, producing a sense of emotion right where is desired (I felt). Also nice is a distorted piano touch which reminds me of the piano used in Nine Inch Nail's Closer song. This sounds completely different from that of course. The cut off piano notes add to the sense of emotion. They flow wonderfully with the ambient, now skipping; sounds are returning while evolving like multiple cycles of life. I love the hypnotic feel and psychedelically rich and musically developing, evolving sound as the song progresses (as if it's sculpturing itself). Soon after the ninth minute appears a skipping albeit gritty tune a la Infected Mushroom - BP Empire. The track's infected alright, and many gorgeous sounds fall into marriage with this driving, mid-tempo/climactic movement. The more I try to criticize, the more beauty I find. This is a beautiful, hypnotizing-the-mind while melting-into-the-senses closing track. Superb. A

In conclusion, I am close to saying that this is Suntrip's best compilation. At the very least, it is one that stands out (more than Energy Waves and more) than virtually all new-school, Psychedelic Goa-Trance compilation due to its embrace of the night via twisting, psychedelic approach, rhythms, synth leads, acid lines, atmosphere, and more. For those that have been waiting for something that isn't just refreshing (well done and new) but more atypical (aggressive, dark, twisting, at times labyrinthine) from the general Psy/Goa today, this is the best, most vivid and interesting compilation of 2010 to date. Well done Suntrip Records and all artists involved!

Favorite Tracks - 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8.

A-

Samples / Order

http://www.suntriprecords.com/shop/

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd019.html

http://beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=5719

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3907

V/A - Temple Of Chaos

SUNTRIP RECORDS

Posted Image

1. KhetzaL - Rosin Memories 07:49 145 bpm

2. K.O.B. - Lost Belly (of Civilization) 09:06 146 bpm

3. Daimon - Codex 09:47 146 bpm

4. Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect Invisibility 08:11 148 bpm

5. Merr0w - Citrus Circus 08:35 148 bpm

6. Filteria - Illogical Logic 08:39 146 bpm

7. Crossing Mind - Cyclone in Your Heart 09:09 140 bpm

8. Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion 11:32 140 bpm

Suntrip promised us finally a darker goa compilation, after years releasing the bright side of music, albeit hence the SUNtrip, that was to be expected. With two old school classics and many known new school producers and even a comeback from one, it sets up huge expectations. The front, back and inlay artwork is also something that catches the eye and is high quality, which only adds to the expectations. Is the compilation darker and twisted like we hope it is? Let's find out.

KhetzaL - Rosin Memories

Well, khetzaL's back! Who woulda known? After years of nothing, apart from the side projects (I.e. Avigmati) there hasn't been much from KhetzaL. For those that didn't know, KhetzaL released a goatrance epic that sounded like nothing else from the good old days and had soul, like the old days, and insane amounts of eastern melodies. This track follows rather the same path as the older KhetzaL tracks, although sounds even more modern with it's production. It's a bit darker than anything else KhetzaL has made thanks to the grim bassline and acid tweaks. The melody is very eastern oriented and has this soothing aspect to it. It's a well made track, but personally I find it lacks something. It feels like it takes it very safe and doesn't really try to do very different things from the old Khetzal. Although it does have this new aspect to it with some really pretty violin use. It has the dark atmosphere and goes for a hypnotic ride, but haven't found this to be as good as I hoped, but in time we'll see. Solid intro to this darker compilation.

K.O.B. - Lost Belly (of Civilization)

It's K.O.B. and starts with tweaked acid, what else? When Suntrip announced there would be a darker compilation, I had no doubt K.O.B., the side project of Jannis Tzikas aka Filteria, would appear. This track has been previously demoed at K.O.B. myspace, but since then it has been rethought, to an extent, and finally released. It really has a lack of melody in it for almost the first half of it, instead of such it progresses with experimental and quite wacky sounds steadily forward. Until 5:40 it goes on quite steadily and then it introduces this bubbly ratting sound that goes from quieter to louder, that re-emerges at the very end, which where this track completely shines. It sounds new, it sounds very playful and experimental which really lifts it up. Now as with KhetzaL's track, this also lacks something for me. It's solid throughout, has some great atmosphere, progresses nicely and the ending is very nice, but it's bit repetitive upon further listens. A good track, but nothing too special.

Daimon - Codex

Ok, this is personally my biggest surprise on this compilation. I already knew what to expect from the others, but Antares going darker? His music is quite the epitome of floating new school a'la Ethereal style! Needless to say - wow. This really is a journey through a black hole. The atmosphere is eerie, dark, the acid is rich, vivid, tweaked like crazy and sounds better than ever. This is extremely full of acid. This is Antares diving, rather than floating. Absolutely a masterpiece of sorts. This is when you start to realize new school can do much more with this little thing called variety. This is also where this compilation really kicks it off to do some great things.

Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect Invisibility

Old school. Need I say more? Unreleased goodness from the two masterminds of their time! This is dark, this has loads of that old soul, and insane richness in sound. It starts with dark hollow ambient and sci-fi-esque effects, we get a really nice sample of "They have perfect invisibility...", which oh so reminds us that the sample use back in the day was many times something very special. A kick comes 0:52 and we are on to find out what the track has in stores for us. If you have heard Shakta's and Moonweed's production before, you should know what to expect to a degree. There's so much richness in the textures, the bassline is thumping, driving goodness and when the melody comes at 2:02 you're going to be amazed. It's gold, pure gold! You can almost taste it. The word ultra comes to mind, say it a few times and that's what the melody feels like. It's absolutely wonderful, I cannot stress that enough! Listen it, love it. This one's from the history books.

Merr0w - Citrus Circus

Ever since I heard Merr0w's track on V/A Freshly Cut Tomato, Pixelized Sight, I have been craving for more of that extreme over the top layered acid overload extraordinaire. His album was a part-disappointment because of that. It gave us more of a conceptualized and toned down style of merr0w and didn't really expand on the extreme sound of Pixelized Sight, but lo and behold, he finally decided to give us a new track with that style. This track is absolute madness, merr0w has a knack for creating such strong twirling sensation in his music. When you listen to this you feel like you're inside a tornado, underwater. The track is ever progressing from the very beginning till the end. Some highlights I have to point out. 4:20 that oh my god melody, it's the usual bright Merr0w style melody, but it makes it so much more incredible and emotional in this track. If you think you weren't going fast enough inside this twirling tornado, think again, it only gets faster here. 6:11 there's this laser like speed traces that only increase, a very nice touch. And finally, the best part in this epic, after a small breakdown 6:58 we get a short and just the perfect sample "Oh-oh.." - then - Beauty in destruction. The sound gets overloaded to the maximum. Everything becomes HUGE. It sounds like the song just tore apart and let all that hidden underwater atmosphere flow in. Such a strong climax! Sonic Voyage! This is what Merr0w can do, this is absolutely crazy epic and old school purists eat your heart out, new school is here to prove that goatrance can still have soul!

Filteria - Illogical Logic

Is far more melodic than K.O.B., but it's also far more experimenting than Filteria. This track somehow makes me think of old school in many ways, the amount of craziness going on with the sound is surprising. A lot little acidish beeps and boops, that are that of small reminiscent of modern tech darkpsy, but absolutely do not feel like such. There's a big yummy melody throughout, but again don't be expecting SkyPolis, this sounds more like the crazy part of daze, so I think those days are over - but enough with the sobbing, this track is still amazing. Filteria continues to expand his musical skills here, the way he creates these is on a new level. It's crazy but still composed like Filteria, I love that, the sound isn't lost in this madness. The sample is just awesome by the way. It fits like a glove, absolutely love it! Awesome trippy twirling maximal track!

Crossing Mind - Cyclone in Your Heart

Ah yes, almost a year ago I first heard this. It was on one of Anoebis's sets and it stood out like a sore thumb along with another Crossing Mind track called Psycrise. It was enthrilling, insanely deep and hypnotic, with a style that I hadn't ever heard before. I went through incredible amounts of artists and came up with nothing, then it turned out to be old tunes from a french producer and noone knew what happened to him and why he didn't release anything. Six months pass and suddenly Draeke finds all of his production that he released for free at MP3.com and this track was there along with many other unreleased classics. And here we are, the golden tunes are finally getting released. This track is the epitome of Crossing Minds sound. The way he does his effects is really something else. I dare you to look for old school that sounds the same, you won't find it. The only small reminesence is in Yahel's old sound, oddly enough(What gives?), but this is absolutely nothing like yahel. This is honest to god pure old school sound. It has soul, it has power, it has true emotion. The main melody is so gripping that first I heard my hair was standing up like I had fallen in love. The bassline sounds like a current that was tweaked to be more bassy, sounds very old school. This is, simply put, gold and it not getting any recognition back in the day is a disgrace. Absolutely a fantastic track.

Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion

The first major release from this Finnish(And no, it's not suomisaundi.) artists who's sound has dark psy influences and sometimes sounds very psytrancey, but is goa at it's heart(Check out Nebula Meltdown - Elemental Connector, Nebula Meltdown - Stream Of Nothingness and Nebula Meltdown - Nebulasphere to give you idea). This track is an absolutely fitting lower tempo ending to this crazy and absolutely new sounding compilation. The BPM maybe 140 but it definitely does not feel like it's that fast. This is very much goa instead of his usual psy sounding goa. The bassline is deep and dark, there's these wonderful hi-hats and rattle following throughout it. The main sounds are absolutely acid filled and the fine details are cold and crystallic. The atmosphere is dark, a little depressive, yet has a layer of hope and brightness to it. All of this contrast makes this track have very nice storytelling elements. Which is only proven with how the track progresses. To me, this was completely unexpected, when did Nebula Meltdown start making this kind of music? Please, we need more of this!

So there we have it, the first darker compilation from Suntrip is finally here and the verdict is that there's no denying Suntrip is still putting out the best of the best, the quality on this compilation could reach out to a classic level in my opinion. Only the first two tracks are just solid or ok and do not reach to the levels of the rest, and that's it, the rest are just amazing. This compilation is like a breath of fresh air. So, how obvious it might seem, did the compilation deliver on the darker prospect it was set out to achieve? Yes. This is not like the other Suntrip releases, or any other new goatrance release for that matter, it's not full of bright melodies, but full of acid tweaking. The tracks here sound new(Like Artha's and Alienapia's albums, when you go and explore, the end result sounds different.) and also have very much that different kind of soul, that soul that was back in the day. New artists achieving this is fantastic. This, alongside Artha, I am very much looking forward to the future of Goatrance. And a personal request here, please suntrip, start releasing the darker stuff more aswell, the diversity is a great thing to have!

Where to get it?

http://www.suntriprecords.com/shop/

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=8475

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd019.html

http://beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=5719

http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=3907

This review is best read with the "blue darkness" forum skin option.

@ Penzoline: it's not a matter of not willing to release darker stuff... It's a matter of finding good enough artists that make that kind of stuff! :) We did it before with Ka Sol & E-Mantra, but I agree... Those were the only ones... maybe this type of releases manage to get more artists into different kinds of old school goa-trance! :)

ps: thanks for the nice long reviews! :) We are happy it seems people like it! :)

pps: is it possible to put those reviews on isratrance as well? The more promotion/talking about a cd, the better, as we need the sales to keep alive... :)

got ma copy today :) which is cool cause i was in the mood for some crazy rockin trance!!! the violins in khetzal's track are just OFF!!! that's one of the nicest angles in goa trance i've heard since ages! reminds of how much i liked some classical atmospheres in beat hackers tracks long ago.

@ Penzoline: it's not a matter of not willing to release darker stuff... It's a matter of finding good enough artists that make that kind of stuff! :) We did it before with Ka Sol & E-Mantra, but I agree... Those were the only ones... maybe this type of releases manage to get more artists into different kinds of old school goa-trance! :)

ps: thanks for the nice long reviews! :) We are happy it seems people like it! :)

pps: is it possible to put those reviews on isratrance as well? The more promotion/talking about a cd, the better, as we need the sales to keep alive... :)

Well, I hope people get some inspiration to do darker after this compilation. All of this love I'm having towards TOC just shows I'm getting a little tired with the morning sound apparently. It's not bad and we're getting some of the best morning goa these days, but years of releasing, mostly, only that makes it a little tedious. Variety, variety, variety. That's always needed.

Nevermind, I posted it myself.

Is there anything this label isn't capable of? I mean the best sunshine, melodic goa and now this dark beast of a compilation. As a Suntrip fanboy, my words might not be the most objective, but I mean this when I say that this is a glorious exercise in movement, melody, and atmosphere.

Khetzal is back with a stormer that is melodic and eerie. Like Jon, I am just happy he is back on the scene, but his track provides an excellent opening to the disc.

K.O.B. for me is not what it is to everyone else. I realize that I am in the minority (and that is ok), but this style doesn't suit me and I find it empty and boring. I appreciate the attempt at a different style, but it is just not that appealing to me. This goes for other tracks by Filteria's alter ego.

Now Daimon (aka Antares) owns the track of the comp for me. When that percussive lead comes in at the beginning it shapes the whole track. The foundation is laid allowing other melodies and sounds to add to this superb journey through the cosmos. Absolutely blistering. :o

An unreleased Moonweed and Shakta track? Yes please. A very good effort and it makes me wonder why it never saw the light of day. Maybe we weren't ready for this type of experimentation back then. Psychedelic, melodic and a groover. Very enjoyable. ;)

Merr0w brings a layer rich tapestry that covers the highest of the highs and the deepest of the lows. Very lush and powerful, reminding me of Filteria's first release Sky Input. One of the best tracks here. :D

The new school master weighs in with a great track about traveling faster than the speed of light. Illogical. The sounds fit well and the rhythm is on point. The samples are great and interesting as the melody evolves. I felt it could've been fuller on the lower end, but this is a minor quibble. This is classic Filteria with all the twisting and intensity. While still melodic I feel the chaotic element takes the spotlight here. The consistent quality of his tracks is so impressive that one can take it for granted. Another home run.

A lot of work was put in by Draeke and co. to find this artist and release his tracks. I guess Suntrip did their due diligence as well. While not as aggressive as most of the tracks here, the leads are no less twisted. There isn't a lot of variety in this track, but it is still good.

The last track by Nebula Meltdown is one that I had to give lots of listens to appreciate. First it is very long at 11:31 and it is slower than the rest, less chaotic. At least it seems to be. This one is more subtle and takes a few minutes to get going, but when it does, the acid lines erupt. The chopped up strings add an airy, spacey feel giving a relaxing or contemplative state of mind to finish out the compilation. Great stuff!

Mdk

I just wanted to pop on here to say that I can't stop listening to this album. I won't write an in depth review as there already have been a few but I will say that this is what I've been wanting for a long while. At the moment Codex and Citrus Circus can't seem to leave my ears. It took a couple listens to get used to all the cues and movements but I am just really impressed by everything on here. I felt that Arcana was an adventurous goa album by E-Mantra last year and Temple of Chaos continues the trend of intense, original, emotionally charged, yet psychedelic music. I also feel the stuff on here is versatile. Temple of Chaos is not one to miss. Thanks again to suntrip and the artists as always for making it possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really looking forward to hear some new, darkish/heavy/different/psychedelic goa trance, but after listening to the album I have to conclude that 3 out of 8 songs are pure morning tracks.. Khetzal, Crossing Mind and Nebula Meltdown isn't really something I would like to hear during the night, where this album is all about. I'm really glad to hear something new from Khetzal, but just because the bassline is in 16th notes doesn't make it 'dark goa trance'. Anyway, I won't complain about this one, because it's an awesome track. Khetzal like you used to hear on Corolle, who wouldn't like that?

K.O.B.'s next track is another one from The Filterian, with a style that suits me better. Nice progress throughout the track, though I think the last minute is unnecessary. It's okay to make a goa tracks less than 7-8 minutes long, really! :D

Daimon is an alter ego from Antares to look out for! I really really dig this one, so trancy, moving and a bit sinister, amazing. This fella is goe bezig nondedekke. After that it's time for an unreleased track by Shakta & Moonweed, and I don't think I'm the only one who was looking forward to this one the most! Two of my favourite artists, these 2 together were a perfect combination, Perfect Invisibility is another excellent example of that. Dirty, pounding and a bit fun(ky) even, it's got the Shaka & Moonweed smell all over it. Gotta love it.

Merr0w: not a fan of him, but I can image dancing to this one, though I think is style is too chaotic sometimes, don't really like that 'wall of sound'-sound. The same with the Filteria track, that's just something I heard too much. Nice sample though. ^^

Crossing Mind - Cyclone In Your Heart is a track that's probably well known for everyone by now. To me it's not that special, but I can understand why people love this, lots of intelligent melodies and something never heard before.

The compilation ends with Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion, a slower track, and not so innovative imho.

To sum it up: 3,5/5 - better than Energy Waves, but I'm a little bit disappointed. I expected more dark goa/psychedelic trance, and with so few names on this compilation that actually created something in that way, I'm still not sure there will be enough artists that can bring enough variety within the scene. But it's definitely something worth having in your collection, as it brings an alternative to the melodic music (even though there isn't no none-melodic goa trance, but you know what I mean). And with a bit of luck, this compilation creates a third wave, ready to hit us with some good music! :P

This compilation is epic. PERIOD. There is really nothing more to add than what people wrote already. Each piece teleported me back and beyond reality, it was a hell of a ride. It had the same effect as when i received RA album (the one on suntrip) I listened to both this VA and to RA 3 times in a row without being able to remove the cd from the player. that's how good it is, really.

People, buy it and support suntrip because with this one they really went out there far more than i expected. This cd goes next to top classics compilations such as accidental occidentalism and many others pure classic.

A+ (there is not ONE track i don't love to the bone here, top notch)

Oh and the last track? should we speak of it? I was amazed, that's really something i will play a lot this summer : )

Merrow's track is really twisted, but the mixing is kind of weird, isn't it?

The kick is too loud and the synths too low, sounds a bit messy.

K.O.B. track is really psychedelic. We need more of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Various - Temple of chaos

Khetzal - Rosin memories

Khetzal´s album was wonderful, but I don´t think he reach up to that standard here. The track has no "hook", or something to make me remember it. It just flows on with nothing to make me amazed. I usually skip to the next track, which is:

6/10

K.O.B. - Lost belly (of civilization)

This track is pure brain-stimulation for me. Actually it is´nt a track that makes me reach heaven, but it provides a healthy dose of serotonin. It´s strength is imo the repetitive feeling of the track.

8/10

Daimon - Codex

Nice track. Sounds a bit too plastic sometimes, but that´s something I can live with. This is not my favourite here, but it is, as I said a nice track.

7/10

Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect invisibility

Kind of too many twists and turns which makes my brain tired. Sometimes it´s just too much. I did´nt listen much to goa like 95-96 and i´m sure that Shakta has a sentimental value to alot of people here. Not for me though. Anyway, this track has it´s strengths, like the flow and playfulness and I seem to like it a little bit more each time I listen to it.

7/10

Merr0w - Citrus circus

Oh my God!! What a track. Now I have to listen to his album "Born underwater" some more, cause this is fantastic! This guy really knows how to build and build a track with out it being boring a single time! The intro reminds me of the intro track of the last Radical distortions album. Then it just builds higher and higher until it reaches it´s climax and then it builds some more!! This guy really has talent (and confidence)! The melody work is briliant too.

10/10

Filteria - Illogical logic

What´s up with that sample? I get more irritated each time I hear it. Without that sample I think this could have been a good track. Now it´s just stupid cause I can´t seem to focus on anything else but it. Anyway, if I try to focus - I don´t think this is the best Filteria track he has made. It´s just too much soetimes. It´s less memorable than alot of his other tracks, like the melodies in "Reflected" or "Birds lingua franca". Good track, but not great...

6/10

Crossing mind - Cyclone in your heart

This is a grower. That melody starting from 2.45 seems to lay bubbling in my halfly-conscious mind long time after I listened to it the last time.

7/10

Nebula meltdown - Encrypted illusion

If Merr0w´s track was the most hysterical track on this compilation, this is the track which is most focused. It has a clear direction and it will get there, kindly but firm moving all the obstacles on it´s way. Knowing that the track (or entity?) has the power and nothing has the power to stop it. Reminds me a bit of Ethereal´s "Moondawn" on "Opus iridium". Splendid! Excellent!

10/10

Overall this is a great compilation, which, sometimes is a bit too twisted for my taste. It´s worth every krona i´ve payed for it, and the K.O.B., Merr0w and Nebula meltdown tracks really are something special!

Very good release! Merr0w's track is just superb, no words for it.. :) The sample "oh oh" is so simple, but extremely effective! But just like Orion said, the mixing indeed sounds weird, but nothing seriously irritating of course! I almost like every track on this compilation, but Khetzal was a big disappointment! (Although Corolle is one of my favourite Goa albums...)

My favourite tracks are 4, 5 and 8.

After some fifteen listens, I must say....

Fantastic compilation! The first track, by khetzal, like others have pointed out before me, seems a bit dull to me, it isn't going anywhere and while the violins are nice, the track just doesn't do it for me. The second by KOB is a bit better but this isn't really my cup of tea either. Then, the third track, is just awesome. It's so driving and inspired, yet not too bombastic but effective none-the-less. It gets to me every time I listen to it, great stufff. (Really impressed with antares I must say.) The fourth track is equally enjoyable. This is just a fantastic old school stomper with a very nice lead melody which just oozes with acid.

Then, Merow's track... holy shit man, that's some heavy stuff right there :D epic epic epic. This track just sky rockets you into inner space, no excuses accepted. That climax is just so epic, driving and powerful, it's amazing! SMASHING!

Filteria's track is great too. That sample, I have to disagree with some here, fits just right in. It makes the track have that silly-crazy feeling, kinda mad-hatter style, if you know what I mean. The end is remarkable as well. On the other hand, this tune really sounds like it's a filteria remix of a KOB track. It's weird, but that's the feeling I get. Doesn't make it any worse though haha, awesome.

Then, one of my favourite goa tracks ever... This just sounds like it fell into a big can dripping with acid when it was little. Great great track with one of the most hooking melodies I have ever heard. In German, they call this an "Ohrwurm", 'cuz it just enters your head and stays there.

And last but not least, nebula meltdown... WHAT a surprise! This track is just so perfect as the finisher of this album. It takes the twistedness of the other tracks, gives it a whirl and comes up with something neither as bombastic as merrow's track nor the acidness of Crossing Mind's, but something soooooo subtle yet ever-driving. And in the end it creates a fantastic twisted atmosphere with some ambient-like effects like the piano, I'm a fan, no doubt!

To conclude all my drooling, this is one of my favourite suntrip compilations and I really think they nailed it. To present to us their vision of goa night trance and coming up with this, it's great.

Keep 'em coming!

8,5/10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

man, it's good music, but what about that horrible mastering?? there's no mentionable stereo image enhancement and every track has the bass brainlessly pumped up like there's no tomorrow while the highs remain almost untouched, flat and damp. Just listen that kick roll distort by the end of khetzal's awesome track! fucking grand! it might just be that it was produced this badly but still there's ways of not having your kick distort in mastering c'mon?!! i guess this is what they provide in 'just three days!' :lol:

• 2 months later...

Merr0ws track is practically comparable with Pleiadians - Maia. The first time you actually understand the magnificence of Maia, it engulfs you, it's non-stop power sweeping through your body, taking you to another place and time seems to stop for that brief moment the track plays and when the final climax arrives everything you were and should be thinking about ceases existing and there's only you and another universe. The difference is Pleiadians - Maia is an outer space, otherworldy trip, while Merr0w - Citrus Circus is more poseidon-atlantis oriented in it's thematic style. It is grand, epic and feels authentic. Whenever the last climax hits I feel like I'm in a square tunnel that gets engulfed with water that's forced through the vast openness of the tunnel. It literally does exactly what Maia's ending does. I feel transcended elsewhere. I have probably listened to Citrus Circus around 4-5 times when I have been jogging/running and everytime it starts, the bassline is just right and keeps me going and whenever the climax hits, I feel like there is no limit to how fast and how far I can go. Granted the very segment that allows this does not last too long, but it's still one of the most powerful things I have ever witnessed. Not many songs are able to do this to me.

Truly a masterpiece.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Temple of Chaos

Label: Suntrip Records

Date: June, 2010

1. Khetzal - Rosin Memories

2. K.O.B. - Lost Belly (Of Civilization)

3. Daimon - Codex

4. Moonweed & Shakta - Perfect Invisibility

5. Merr0w - Citrus Circus

6. Filteria - Illogical Logic

7. Crossing Mind - Cyclone In Your Heart

8. Nebula Meltdown - Encrypted Illusion

Well, what can be said about Suntrip Records that hasn't already been said. Arguably one of the most if not the most important label responsible for the resurgence of goa trance. This Belgian enterprise was set up in 2004 by Fabien (Mars at Psynews.org) and Joske (Anoebis). Their style is melodic to the core with a sunshine cocktail perfect for that dreamy getaway of your imagination. But, what have we here? This seems a little...darker that what we are used to. With their 19th CD release (and don't think that is easy to do in our scene with the internet) Temple of Chaos has some of the same artists, but something wicked this way comes! Gone is the uplifting and gently soothing melodies on which we soared into the atmosphere. In there place is something...a little more sinister. And the sunrise is many hours away.

Rosin Memories- I am very glad that Khetzal (Mattheiu Chamoux) contributed a track to this compilation. His 2005 album Corelle is one of the best goa trance releases to date replete with unparalleled Eastern melodies. He begins his track with pads that intertwine, weaving a dark layer of mysticism. Tales of old in the guise of a forbidden melody remind me of what once was long ago. 303's and twisted leads keep this fluid dream in motion. The kick and hi-hat are my sole guide in this ethereal plane revealing a dark corridor which I must travel alone. Seamlessly beautiful.

Lost Belly (of Civilization)- I have never been a fan of Filteria's side project K.O.B. due to the declining focus on melody. With this, otherworldly gurgling accompany an insistent thumping. The sounds of aliens drift from hither and yon. Deep underground and far from a living soul, screeching leads speak of a civilization lost. There is great atmosphere here, continuing the theme of the previous track. If this is an example of dark goa, I like it. When Khetzal showed me the ancient door, K.O.B. leads me down a dark, fetid tunnel. Viscerally pleasing and the best K.O.B. track I have heard.

Codex- This is the dark alter ego of Antares whose album I await with great anticipation. His tracks are so rich and powerful with great attention to detail. Alone with the ghosts of the past, citizens of an ancient civilization, it is time for combat! That percussive lead is madness! Sheer madness! Movement required. This is hurtling at vast speeds while tendrils of flame sear the skin. Images blur as my eyes begin to desiccate. An absolutely blistering track!

Perfect Invisibility- "There here alright...but we don't see them. They have perfect invisibility."

This is a welcome surprise to see this pair resurface. Shakta (Seb Taylor) has been in the game so long dropping superlative goa tracks (Lepton Heads) as well as psytrance and downtempo works. Moonweed is Jamie Graham and he has been more reclusive. Alien creatures peer from behind rocks as the twisted lead snakes from its place of concealment. The effects in this one are liquid and guttural, and I would call this more psytrance influenced goa than a true goa tune. The layers are there and well put together sounding great, but it's not as epic as the previous tracks. Still a great tune. I'm stunned the guys from Suntrip got Seb to make a another goa track.

Citrus Circus- This is Bruce Fryut who's album Born Underwater was a great effort. It's not until 2 minutes that the frenzied escape begins. 303's scream their abrasive cry as metallic chaos reigns. New leads indicative of the artist's album force their way forward. This track is a thunderous whirlwind without a moment's rest.

Illogical Logic- "Imagine a musician giving a live broadcast from what was once London to what was once New York on a Wednesday. He then travels faster than light from London to New York where he arrives, where physicists would confirm, on the previous Tuesday. Listens to his own broadcast on a Wednesday, dislikes its quality intensely, and then travels back faster than light to London in time for him to decide not to give his broadcast."

Now this was something I would've expected from K.O.B. I'm used to massive layers of unyielding melody stacked upon each other but this is different. The sound is as rich and palpable as it is quirky. The middle of the track is a period of electronic noise as if you were tuning a radio, but also contains hard edged leads as well. Different, but in a good way. True to form, the melodic Filteria style rises up with a chip on his shoulder. This is not a happy time.

Cyclone In Your Heart- Thanks to Draeke at Psynews for his hard work in rediscovering this artist. Crossing Mind is Stephane Beze and he recently released his debut album The Holographic Paradigm on DAT Records. His leads are cat quick and twisted taking center stage as this track is not massively layered. It's one lead giving way to another and I don't think that it had the power it needed to pull that off. Straight forward and nowhere near as complex as the previous tracks, but fret not as he has a treat for you...

Encrypted Illusion- This artist is new to me, but he shows you how to close a compilation with the longest track in the set. It's progressive, starting slowly but unraveling its tale. There is no sunshine here, no light. No hope for redemption. The strings only reveal what is left of this once mighty empire. The track glides smoothly toward the exit, permitting quiet introspection; perhaps about history and not repeating it.

Well, that was an impressive compilation. The only criticism that could've been leveled at Suntrip was that their goa trance was all in the same style, beautiful though it may be. That can now be put to rest. This was so powerful and such a change in direction for Suntrip that they have shown me that there isn't any style they cannot produce well. As leaders of the new school goa revival they are truly masters of their craft. I appreciate their flexibility as a label and congratulations to the artists who are the stars of this disc. Wonderful tracks that will be enjoyed for years to come. This is a suberp disc and I recommend it very highly.

Mdk