Complaints about Moderation.

NEMO.BOFH

From what I know Frozen Dream was warned several times for posting random stuff in various thread. Also when off-topic was still open. He never stoped or only for a short time so I'm not surprised that he was banned, even when I didn't knew it until I read about it now.

Well, I'm not gonna argue with you but with that making sense in his mind thing peopel are basicly allowed to post whatever they want since it's impossible to read their mind and differ stuff that makes sense to them and stuff they just post to annoy others, to get attenction or for whaterver reason it might be. And even if it were possible, posting completeley random stuff that makes sense in your head only, maybe because you are high on acid (or also for other reasons that don't involve drugs) does not exactly sound like something that has a place in the general part of this forum.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, crazy converse... As a moderator, I actually didn't even know frozen dream was banned, how did that happen ? Beside his usual nonsense posts, has he insulted or bashed anyone ? I can't believe that random nonsense is punished. For me, even nonsense has some sense, and cannot be dissmissed, no matter how crazy or idiotic may sound. It MADE sense in poster's brain at the moment he was posting. For me, nonsense is not a valid ban. Can someone explain what he did, beside speaking in tongues ? Nemo ?

Yes, trolling around, making no sense, gives you an instant ban, especially if you have been warned several times to cut the crap.

• 3 months later...

My ban that Mars gave me was RIDICILOUS.

First off, I did not know it's not allowed to reply with "k" / "ok"

Second of all, if I had known that, I sure as fuck wouldn't have done it.

Third of all, a week? A WEEK FOR THAT? a warning would have been more than enough.

Ridicilous.

Your actions are too extreme, Fabien. Seriously.

Now if I would have not behaved before at all, most probably the ban could have been righteous, but I'm a member that behaves well and plays by the rules.

And to what degree does this 'rule' go to? hmm?

Disclaimer: I'm not attacking the creator of the post in question, just giving Fabien and example.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=921972

That is a post with three, yes THREE dots in it, but I don't see the member getting banned for that now do I. Oh wait, it's not 1 letter reply. Yeah that's right, it seems like it's allowed to post 3 periods, but no one letter replies?

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=921972

That is a post with three, yes THREE dots in it, but I don't see the member getting banned for that now do I. Oh wait, it's not 1 letter reply. Yeah that's right, it seems like it's allowed to post 3 periods, but no one letter replies?

To be fair that post has been edited. It was not originally three full stops but a negative comment on the album that was retracted by the author of the post, hence the 3 dots.

Well I did not know that so thanks for making things clear. I won't go and find another post as it's quite clear what I'm saying here, though.

I'm just waiting mars to reply now, or if not mars, then Nemo.

Edit: Heh, that also shows that I could have edited the post to please mr. Fabiens needs instead of this over the top insta-ban.

It's ridiculous to spend time posting a "k" too. And what does it bring to the discussion? A "k" I suppose.

I was never in favor of warns. Back in november 2005, when the moderation team came in, I asked for a very strong moderation, but they wouldn't really get against all other members at once (and I understand), so they chose to install some milder moderation options, like warnings. Just look how it works in a classroom...

There is no rule for temp-bans. I subscribe to some topics, either because I'm interested or because I know its going to be hot, and I monitor.

I just don't want the forums to Off-Topic-ize and since the mod team virtually doesnt exist anymoroe, I have to take care of some moderation. But I have 2 jobs and I don't have the time to clean too much, so everytime I see something useless, I tend to take quick action to show some limits, instead of goiong into rethoretical discussionss about the benefits of a "k" in a thread. And there you reached my "garbage-posting-limit". I'm sorry if it looks totalitarian.

At school, some teachers do exactly the same: Pupils talk in their backs, they cope with that till they choose one and punish him. Then order comes back.

If I had caught buzzman with these 3 dots, he'd get 1 week too. I just removed this completely useless popst and wrote him a PM.

It's ridiculous to spend time posting a "k" too. And what does it bring to the discussion? A "k" I suppose.

I was never in favor of warns. Back in november 2005, when the moderation team came in, I asked for a very strong moderation, but they wouldn't really get against all other members at once (and I understand), so they chose to install some milder moderation options, like warnings. Just look how it works in a classroom...

There is no rule for temp-bans. I subscribe to some topics, either because I'm interested or because I know its going to be hot, and I monitor.

I just don't want the forums to Off-Topic-ize and since the mod team virtually doesnt exist anymoroe, I have to take care of some moderation. But I have 2 jobs and I don't have the time to clean too much, so everytime I see something useless, I tend to take quick action to show some limits, instead of goiong into rethoretical discussionss about the benefits of a "k" in a thread. And there you reached my "garbage-posting-limit". I'm sorry if it looks totalitarian.

At school, some teachers do exactly the same: Pupils talk in their backs, they cope with that till they choose one and punish him. Then order comes back.

If I had caught buzzman with these 3 dots, he'd get 1 week too. I just removed this completely useless popst and wrote him a PM.

I know a 'k' isn't much, but I wanted to show sarcasm towards the author on the topic at hand. It's stupid to flame a certain music style just because it's simple.

And yes, it's true, maybe I should have posted exactly that(^) but I didn't, instead I decided to edit my post for the sarcastic k. I think it was because I didn't want to start a debate/drama.

But it's still such a small thing that a week ban is completely and utterly over the top as I have never encountered same kind of situation anywhere else where I have posted / lurked. Heck, a day ban and I wouldn't have probably minded as much.

And the fact that you do seem to just watch overall anonymous statistics here and not follow individuals(which you obviously don't seem to have time for) is just not right, even with the argument of not having time for it. I agree that sometimes people need to be reminded of how to act, but going and choosing, basically, randomly an individual and going as far as you did(A week instead of perhaps a day, two or three) can cause bad things to happen that shouldn't happen. I HIGHLY recommend to recruit / make someone recruit an active moderator, that does their job like you want them. That way things like these won't happen.

Maybe just limit the minimum number of characters needed for a reply, Mars? I've seen it in other forums, maybe it can be done in the control panel for IPB somewhere. It could save you some time instead of allways having to watch for posts like that. And that way people wouldn't have to be warned or banned, and would be more careful.

You didn't get my PM? I wrote that the album sounded a bit empty compared to the old album, because that was my first impression... But i changed it, because i didn't think the album deserved to have an ignorant comment like that in the review section... And since i cant delete the file completely, i just edited to 3 dots..... Do you think i posted 3 dots for fun?

EDIT: Oh Mars, can't you make it possible to delete ones own replies??? Then this wouldn't happen, and double posts and stuff will be possible for ourself to delete!? That way you wont have to clean the site up as much as you do

Hey stop crying, maybe there's a reason i edited(deleted) my reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't ban people from accidently making a double post, and then write DP in the second one either do you???

You didn't get my PM? I wrote that the album sounded a bit empty compared to the old album, because that was my first impression... But i changed it, because i didn't think the album deserved to have an ignorant comment like that in the review section... And since i cant delete the file completely, i just edited to 3 dots..... Do you think i posted 3 dots for fun?

EDIT: Oh Mars, can't you make it possible to delete ones own replies??? Then this wouldn't happen, and double posts and stuff will be possible for ourself to delete!? That way you wont have to clean the site up as much as you do

What you could have done is edited your original post to include you rnew thoughts instead of creating a new post to tell us your new thoughts then editing your old post into redundancy :drama:

What you could have done is edited your original post to include you rnew thoughts instead of creating a new post to tell us your new thoughts then editing your old post into redundancy :drama:

I created the new post before i thought about deleting the other one... hehe, talk about making a big deal out of nothing.. Really.. But okay, ban me for my bad actions :lol: who cares

Hey stop crying, maybe there's a reason i edited(deleted) my reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't ban people from accidently making a double post, and then write DP in the second one either do you???

I don't see why would you reply to me if I have something like this written down in my post.

"Disclaimer: I'm not attacking the creator of the post in question, just giving Fabien and example."

And if you'd read more carefully, abasio already explained that you had edited it later, which I didn't know at time of making my post.

• 3 weeks later...

"zero tolerance" policy

you call an open topic where users can discuss "complaints about moderation" a zero tolerance :rolleyes:

Would a Ok (2-letter reply) cost him a 2-week ban? :lol: .. :ph34r: Don't ban me, I'm just stupid.

don't worry they get special fundings from the internet government for users like us ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Are we back in grade 2? :lol:

Since you appear not to have learned this in personal experience... as one progresses through the grades in school the rules become less strict and in the end at university there are not any rules other than the bare minimum: no cheating... maybe that's the only rule left?

Anyways we are not in class here, it's an internet message board.

And it's common sense not to force "strict moderation" unless you are running a sheltered forum or want to piss your members off. Moderators aren't supposed to do anything except delete/ban people spamming the forum to the point it degrades it for everyone... I worded it like that because the odd post like "k" or "..." doesn't hurt anyone, but if every second post by the guy was that for no good reason, for example, then maybe he should be banned.

I am complaining that there is not enough moderation. Recently I get about 1 spam personal msg/week from here. That is not so for any other of many 'net forums I am on. Perhaps consider locking the forum and having people that want to join explain why.

I am complaining that there is not enough moderation. Recently I get about 1 spam personal msg/week from here. That is not so for any other of many 'net forums I am on. Perhaps consider locking the forum and having people that want to join explain why.

I agree to some extend.

There is not enough moderation, but the Spam-pms have nothing to do with moderation :)

Fabien is working on a solution now, so that problem should be solved soon... About "normal" moderation, if people feel like a good, fair, objective moderator... let us know :D

There is another spambot on the loose :(

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showuser=14437

Psynews is supposed to be English but you can write any kind of alphabet see (mine was Japanese don't know what the bot's was) maybe a system of blocking any non English (I mean ABC) script could help?

There is another spambot on the loose :(

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showuser=14437

Psynews is supposed to be English but you can write any kind of alphabet see (mine was Japanese don't know what the bot's was) maybe a system of blocking any non English (I mean ABC) script could help?

Ïðèâåò.

ß ìåíåäæåð â ðèýëòîðñêîé ôèðìå â ãîðîäå ßðîñëàâëü .  ñâÿçè ñ ñèòàóàöèåé â ñòðàíå íàì óðåçàëè ôèíàíñèðîâàíèå íà ðåêëàìó, è ïðè ýòîì õîòÿò óâåëè÷èòü ÷èñëî êëèåíòîâ. ×òî äåëàòü - íå çíàþ. Ïîñïðàøèâàëà çíàêîìûõ - ñêàçàëè, ÷òî Èíòåðíåò ðåêëàìà ëó÷øå âñåãî. Ïî íàøåé òåìå â Èíòåðíåòå íàøëà ìíîæåñòâî ñàéòîâ, êóäà ìîæíî äîáàâèòü èíôîðìàöèþ î êîìïàíèè. Äîáàâèëà èíôîðìàöèþ î êîìïàíèè â îäíîì èç íèõ ÑÒÀÐÊ ÊÎÌÏÀÍÈß ÎÎÎ .

Áóäåò ëè îò ýòîãî òîëê? Åñëè äà - òî íàïèøèòå åùå êàêèå-íèáóäü ïîõîæèå ñàéòû. Ìîæåò êòî-íèáóäü ýòî ñìîæåò ñäåëàòü çà äåíåæêó?

×òî ìîæíî ïîïðîáîâàòü åùå?

:lol: is that even a language??all the letters look alike

:lol: is that even a language??all the letters look alike

I think that's what happens when your computer doesn't have the alphabet loaded onto it. I think when I wrote Japanese it turned out similar for some others?