Complaints about Moderation.

NEMO.BOFH

Not a complaint but something about which I've been curious for a while: why is it that sometimes when a post has been edited there is small print at the bottom saying "this post has been edited by suchandsuch: suchandsuch o'clock", and sometimes there isn't?

same here

damn those frenchmen with their uâ€e uâ€e, snails and baguetts! :lol:

to edit or not to edit is that a question?

as your doctor I prescribe you to write a topic about where one can discuss the issue of how to proparly edit your posts -_-

e. second time inside. .. ups, pushed the quick edit option.

e1. the edit button is empty and precent. no problem here

e2. baguette was spelled with a h. ... now .. this is strange. i looked up to edit itt, and its a g, for real :huh:

e3. omg :ph34r: i posted my e2. .. and what do I see? my uie uie looks like squeers with strange a's .. .. ok, i now look up. now theres just a "'s where the â€'s

.. this is strange. i swear i'm not kidding around :ph34r: someone is hacking the matrix.

e4. ok Rotta, are you hacking me? now the uie is strange again

e.5 normal on the outside last look, inide now.. it's like this: uâ€e

e6. ok, now the uie uie's are back to normal. I still havent edited single letter. lets see what happends when I push 'Submit modified Post'

e.7 they where back to boxes and a's. then i looked away from the screen for some seconds to think, and when i took my eyes back on the uie, it looked normal, like it supposed to look -

psynews is trippy ja :D:D

i'm going to bed

:lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more of a question than complaint, but i guess i bring it here-

any particular reason to why this

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29708

thread is locked?

seems like most of the freestyle section is locked, and much of it for no clear reason, although osme of those threads, not surprised they're locked.

All Freestyle section is closed. It's a "read only" area.

It has been locked because many people arrived to posting mostly there, and lots of it was meaningless conversation. Psynews is a forum, not a chat program.

All Freestyle section is closed. It's a "read only" area.

It has been locked because many people arrived to posting mostly there, and lots of it was meaningless conversation. Psynews is a forum, not a chat program.

There's a whole 'Freestyle Thread' in the 'Off-topic' section instead now.

omg moniluff, whats up with the isratrancelation of psynews? What do you think is going on in Offtopic, like it has been forever? tsk

Unless I missed your point and you have no problems with the Offtopic section acting like a chill-out area aka. chat and goof and serious business :rolleyes:

There's a whole 'Freestyle Thread' in the 'Off-topic' section instead now.

omg moniluff, whats up with the isratrancelation of psynews? What do you think is going on in Offtopic, like it has been forever? tsk

Unless I missed your point and you have no problems with the Offtopic section acting like a chill-out area aka. chat and goof and serious business :rolleyes:

Freestyle was worse than Off Topic. In Off Topic people can still find something readable.

ok thanks

the topic i linked to was actually more psy related anyway so i may put up a post in genreal, if you hate it i guess you'll delete it, should be ok/

Please do.

The Freestyle section was all closed down, not just the topic you pointed out. Maybe that topic should have been moved from there before closing down the section.

Freestyle was worse than Off Topic. In Off Topic people can still find something readable.

people = mods?

ps. i think it's a shame chokuro's choco busin thread got closed down before she could post in it herself. strydr should get some warnings for meaninglessly spamming it :ph34r:

eh, among the lamest "reasons" ever if you ask me... NO ONE was FORCED into READING and POSTING in FREESTYLE! HELLLOOOOOOOO?! WAKE UP!

people = mods?

ps. i think it's a shame chokuro's choco busin thread got closed down before she could post in it herself. strydr should get some warnings for meaninglessly spamming it :ph34r:

ah, we missed chokuros real life busins :(?

true...

get out :blink:

I never got the chance to walk inside the world of the Freestyle section. But in a way it seemed like a unessesary section to have since we had offtopic.

I guess it was actually a Off-Topic V. 2 - Extreme edition or something, haha

eh, among the lamest "reasons" ever if you ask me... NO ONE was FORCED into READING and POSTING in FREESTYLE! HELLLOOOOOOOO?! WAKE UP!

Try to post this at other forums and see the result. I think you got it VERY good here.

Nobody forces no one to post nosense, but they still do. Where's the sense in that?

Why don't you make your own forum, with your own rules, or non-rules if you want?

The purpose of a forum is to have discussion inside, so that those discussions can attract people in. It should be obvious.

Why was the Freestyle section made in the fist place?

Because people complained that Off Topic had too many topics full of spam, nonsense, small dialogue, and that topics that were actually about somehting serious (cultural, spiritual), were getting lost the spam. So we decided to create a sub-section for such topics, the "Cultural / Spiritual zone".

Then the others got angry and felt they were loosing attention (kidding :P) because of the separation, and they asked a Freestyle zone, where they could post nonsense and bullshit and whatever came to their minds. So the "Freestyle Section" got created.

But the Freestyle Section started to become bigger and bigger each day (few people were still posting in Cultural and Off Topic). If you check it, you will see that people posted there whatever crossed their minds. Freestyle became the support for chat, which is not the purpose of a forum. Then Mars decided to close down Freestyle, and reduce the spam. Some members still want Freestyle back, but it won't happen.

Try to post this at other forums and see the result. I think you got it VERY good here.

Nobody forces no one to post nosense, but they still do. Where's the sense in that?

Why don't you make your own forum, with your own rules, or non-rules if you want?

The purpose of a forum is to have discussion inside, so that those discussions can attract people in. It should be obvious.

hehe, it did attract people, thats the whole point ;) oh and i dont care atm about "other forums" - its psynews and were talking about it and not about some knitting forum. and why would i have to make my own forum? is that required if one wants free discussions without censorship nor other stupid limitations [which were almost non existent in freestyle and that was good]? cool!

hehe, it did attract people, thats the whole point ;) oh and i dont care atm about "other forums" - its psynews and were talking about it and not about some knitting forum. and why would i have to make my own forum? is that required if one wants free discussions without censorship nor other stupid limitations [which were almost non existent in freestyle and that was good]? cool!

I did attract people... to do what? Spam? There are chat programs for that.

And i suggested that you make your own forum (just to see how it is), cause you're always so rebel and you will never agree for anything with the way Psynews is administrated. :)

when there is something i dont like more than usual, i dare to disagree. you can stay silent for anything that happens around.

what i dont like is, moderators are hardly posting themselves and i rarely see them browsing this forum. perhaps we need new moderators ;)?

when there is something i dont like more than usual, i dare to disagree. you can stay silent for anything that happens around.

what i dont like is, moderators are hardly posting themselves and i rarely see them browsing this forum. perhaps we need new moderators ;)?

Moderators don't have the function of entertainers, so don't worry if we don't post much. :P

I don't know if psynews needs new mods now. There are 5 mods and 2 admins, totally 7. And the members are more or less behaving in this period. Which we thank them for.

Maybe you should think WHY some mods are not present that much anymore. Sure, some like DP and moni actually got a life but to be honest I'm not exactly feeling like posting much when there is mainly chatting going on in the off topic instead of discussions. If I wanna chat I go to chatroom or open my messenger... I'm not saying you (people in general) have to change their ways but if you demand that everybody and their pets participate too I have to disagree.

Btw. it would really do you good to listen to moni and open up your own forum just to see what happens. :P:D

moderation schmoderation....

I just wonder why so many NON mods are not coming here too often anymore =) I mean, not even one of my good friends likes to come here anymore....

moderation schmoderation....

I just wonder why so many NON mods are not coming here too often anymore =) I mean, not even one of my good friends likes to come here anymore....

Same reason as above stated maybe? :huh:

My lord, that irritated me so much you wont beleive it.

Freestyle is nothing but absolute shit. A place for people who are "trying" to be funny, but are failing miserably.

EDIT: If the age-old rule of "only speaking when you have something intelligent or funny to say" applied to you reger, I think we would be hearing a hell of a lot less from you.

I think the rational angle is somewhere between reger's and moni's. Both are right. Off-topic isn't entirely about being "readable" and communicative, it's also about expressing oneself, and often that takes the form of what most would call spam. Either way, to hinder or censor one's expression is essentially a violent act, and to spam someone's forum, when there are rules against such a thing, is essentially violent too. The key is finding some compromise. As in, if you have to spam, do it with some tact, and if you have to moderate, do it, too, with some feeling for what's really harming people. My opinion.

I think the rational angle is somewhere between reger's and moni's. Both are right. Off-topic isn't entirely about being "readable" and communicative, it's also about expressing oneself, and often that takes the form of what most would call spam. Either way, to hinder or censor one's expression is essentially a violent act, and to spam someone's forum, when there are rules against such a thing, is essentially violent too. The key is finding some compromise. As in, if you have to spam, do it with some tact, and if you have to moderate, do it, too, with some feeling for what's really harming people. My opinion.

Couldnt agree more. Except I feel its more a 70% - 30% split in regers favour with regards to not compromising.