Why psytrance doesnt attract a bigger audience?

MrAnarchy

You could probably get that response from a lot of people.

A lot of music elitists thing their genre is the only "intelligent" one and all others are stupid music for stupid people.

Honestly I think that 90% of any genre is crap and all genres have good, intelligent stuff.

• Like 2

i bet if you asked 70 yo grandpas jazz fans what they think of goa trance they would tell you it sounds like stupid music for idiots lol

Jazz and classical - music that requires professional musicians.

All the rest is essentially folk music, i.e. music that embraces amateurism (in Russian, samodeyatel'nost'). Sure, you can have real pros, who spend hours on end to hone their skills, but that is not a necessary condition. A kid with a bunch of samples can release an album which will be on the surface indistinguishable from real pro.

Jazz and classical - music that requires professional musicians.

All the rest is essentially folk music, i.e. music that embraces amateurism (in Russian, samodeyatel'nost'). Sure, you can have real pros, who spend hours on end to hone their skills, but that is not a necessary condition. A kid with a bunch of samples can release an album which will be on the surface indistinguishable from real pro.

I will not agree with this one. I finished music school and learnt classical stuff. Professional musician is anyone that devotes music as his first profession that makes living of it. Period. I know people who have no music school yet play much better than some skillful schooled musicians. And they don´t usually play jazz or classical but they kick the shit out of it if they wanna. For example DJ Stevo, he is the most famous Croatian goatrance dj, and also a producer, but he is professional piano teacher who has many years of serious music academy behind his back. Anyway, I´m not sure if I got your point right.

I can play both jazz and classical music but i don´t - as it doesn´t attract me that much. I don´t think it makes me less musician or professional because of it. Like we said earlier - 90% of anything is crap :D that 10% is in most cases professional, non-regarding to genre you find it in. :P

• Like 2

To be honest I consider some music genres (for example jazz, progressive rock or blues) to have a lot more musicianship than most of electronica, especially psytrance. I don't mean to offend anyone or say they're not musicians, but the experience seeing someone playing live and someone pressing buttons live is quite different, at least in my case. Last week I saw really great jazz performance by Borna Sercar and Elvis Penava, just guitar and drums (and 25 empty bottles), you know it was amazing to see someone creating so vivid melodies and sounds hitting empty bottles. I know it might sound silly but there was more musicianship than you will see on some average psytrance event, well if there isn't any Ozric Tantacles playing :P:) One of the reasons why projects / bands such as Juno Reactor, Shulman, Shopongle, Kurbeats got so much respect is the fact they all decided to incorporate the vast number of real instruments being played live at their gigs, it gives totally new perspective on their production and it got bigger value as a live-show.

• Like 4

Well I guess I realized that I dont really want for the scene to be any bigger than it is. Its just right. Small and very warm. I love how whenever I write a letter to an artist they always have time to reply and it actually feels like I made a possitive impact on them with my compliments and critique. Especially here on psynews. i guess that wouldnt be the case if the scene was a lot bigger.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

There's plusses and minuses to everything. If it was a bigger scene then you'd likely have more people you know IRL that are into it, but on the flip side you'd be a cunt....oh okay you wouldn't be a cunt but you would have more shit to either sift through to find the good stuff or to start liking because you're a

• Like 1

I remember when I looked down through the comments of a psytrance track, one person complained when they first tried to get into psytrance, he was put off by the fact that most of it was "commercial bullshit".