Why psytrance doesnt attract a bigger audience?

MrAnarchy

People tend to think so because in psy you hear lots of layers, various unusual sounds which makes you think that it is very complicated to make, but actually making a typical EDM track is also technically very complex task - the arrangement usually seems simple but there is a lot going on under the hood to make it sound as fat, big and banging as required by today's standards.

Khm. This and complex dont go well in the same sentance

Id rate creativity 2/10 since it sounds like any other summer hit made in the last 5 years and its 3minutes long.

complexity 1/10

danceability 0/10

Heard this guy at Exit festival last year and people were all like "Go hard or go home" while I was "Hardwell go home" and went to trance stage where mostly paytrance was being played. Dont know which was worse. I seriously dont know what was in my head when I went to buy a ticket for that festival...

Anyway "Paytrance." I think Starkraver invented my new favorite word on accident :P

• Like 2

Id rate creativity 2/10 since it sounds like any other summer hit made in the last 5 years and its 3minutes long.

It WAS actually pretty creative at the time, paving the way for an insane amount of clones and lookalike tracks. Also since when is lenght a criterium for quality? :P Shortmovies, shortstories, etc. can be amazing. Why not short tracks?

Another thing, danceability is clearly 100% subjective and the majority of electronic music listeners disagrees with your point of view. So who are we to tell 'em the'yre wrong? What's the point?

Yes, you catch my drift, I don't agree with the way Goa is being put on a pedestal in contrast to (no matter what kind of) other (electronic) music styles. Every kind of music has its story, every kind of style has good and bad examples. Every kind of style also has its fair share of avid fanboys screaming their music is the best.

Live and let live...that's what I say. Don't try to figure out why it's less popular than you'd like. There's no point. :3

<3

• Like 4

It WAS actually pretty creative at the time, paving the way for an insane amount of clones and lookalike tracks. Also since when is lenght a criterium for quality? :P Shortmovies, shortstories, etc. can be amazing. Why not short tracks?

Another thing, danceability is clearly 100% subjective and the majority of electronic music listeners disagrees with your point of view. So who are we to tell 'em the'yre wrong? What's the point?

Yes, you catch my drift, I don't agree with the way Goa is being put on a pedestal in contrast to (no matter what kind of) other (electronic) music styles. Every kind of music has its story, every kind of style has good and bad examples. Every kind of style also has its fair share of avid fanboys screaming their music is the best.

Live and let live...that's what I say. Don't try to figure out why it's less popular than you'd like. There's no point. :3

<3

Im still not seeing the track being anything more than kitch. Which it obviously is.

I just dont see how a dj screaming "put your hands up in the air" 250 times in 5 minutes can be appealing. I understand this is based on subjectivity,so is me "putting goa on a pedistal" and ranting against EDM. And today, almost every festival is plagued by this. No chance of me seeing proper music now because other people are tasteless.

Im still not seeing the track being anything more than kitch. Which it obviously is.

I just dont see how a dj screaming "put your hands up in the air" 250 times in 5 minutes can be appealing. I understand this is based on subjectivity,so is me "putting goa on a pedistal" and ranting against EDM. And today, almost every festival is plagued by this. No chance of me seeing proper music now because other people are tasteless.

the track does everything it's supposed to do. it has a powerful "drop", has a 4/4 kickdrum in the right bpm range for most people and a catchy melody. i haven't heard it for at least a year even just reading the title of your youtube video presses some sort of play-button in my brain. that's the sort of music the majority of people like.

martin garrix is an amateur. if you watch videos of him explaining his production he doesn't really seem to know what he's doing, he almost exclusively uses samples from commercial sample cds, but for this one track everything comes together nicely and he can make music with a polished sound. that's enough — for his purposes anyway.

neither do i, nor do i ever want to see it happen at a psy festival.

"edm" = "electronic dance music" has been used for decades as an umbrella term for all kinds of danceable electronic music, including psy. i wouldn't give the latest pop-house variant the honor of labeling it a new name (it isn't that different from the pop-house music ten years ago), much less with a name that represents all of electronic music. it's just a marketing gimmick.

i used to get angry about the same thing too some time ago, but let's face it: people are tasteless and incredibly stupid (even more so when in large groups or on alcohol (also other substances to some degree)), but you cannot give them a better taste or make them more intelligent. your choices are either getting frustrated and feeling angry because of them, or thinking "they want to eat shit, let them eat shit!". of course that won't get you good music at festivals, but in the rare moments when you do you'll be pleasantly surprised as opposed to being upset when the music is shit (which is most of the time) ;)

• Like 1

i used to get angry about the same thing too some time ago, but let's face it: people are tasteless and incredibly stupid (even more so when in large groups or on alcohol (also other substances to some degree)), but you cannot give them a better taste or make them more intelligent. your choices are either getting frustrated and feeling angry because of them, or thinking "they want to eat shit, let them eat shit!". of course that won't get you good music at festivals, but in the rare moments when you do you'll be pleasantly surprised as opposed to being upset when the music is shit (which is most of the time) ;)

I know it boils down to that but I'm somewhat a neurotic so I can try to chill out but the anger will always be there. :D

i used to get angry about the same thing too some time ago, but let's face it: people are tasteless and incredibly stupid (even more so when in large groups or on alcohol (also other substances to some degree)), but you cannot give them a better taste or make them more intelligent. your choices are either getting frustrated and feeling angry because of them, or thinking "they want to eat shit, let them eat shit!". )

i know plenty of smart people who likes this kind of music

sure the music on the video is really crap for me but i dont agree with the way you stereotype the people who like it

I have come across some pretty nice deep house in 2015/16 eventhough I don't follow the genre. Not sure what you listening to :P

Hot Creations, Defected Records... There you can find some really good and catchy deep / vocal house. At least I did. :)

Back ontopic:

I see it as, this music is more meditative (read repetative)and not everybody can find its joy in it. Yes, you will find a vast of variety in psytrance genre - but on the surface it all sounds "the same" kicks, machinegun basslines, or at least very similar ones and fast paced tempo. To "surface" listeners this instantly sounds the same. Especially when in goa trance you add some sameish oriental machinegun mellodies. They would have to dig hard to find something more different thatn this - those who bump for the first time into Astral Projection, MWNN or such kinda trance with softer edges can be easily hooked. But "mainstream" psychedelia serves something thats more on the sameish kind of things. Take progressive psytrance for example, god it´s awful how sameish stuff is constantly being pushed in front while some deeper and much better arranged stuff is left buried under piles of garbage being served everyday. Harsh words I know, but it´s true.

P.S. Goatrance consists of lots, LOTS of layers - average listener of pop music is used to simple yet well produced stuff. And it has to be short catchy mello, which brains recognize instantly after one listen. What one Croatian pop composer said - "fuck it, i give them kick, bass and one bar mello loop and they wanna simpler stuff. fuck them i´m a musician!" So basically, more layers lesser the audience who can and are willing to even try to listen and digest its complexity.

• Like 3

i know plenty of smart people who likes this kind of music

the stupid part wasn't necessarily ment to be in context with the music. after all, as you say, intelligence doesn't determine taste, nor is it the other way round. it was meant to say that quality or taste of music isn't the only thing, where people won't listen to you, even when you're an expert in the area and can conclusively prove that your position would work while theirs (which is for instance founded wholly on some piece they've read in the worst kind of tabloid) wouldn't.

besides, last week almost 50% of the voters in my country voted for a neo-nazi (who is being pretty much as open about that as you can under the stict prohibition of nazi symbols here). if that doesn't prove the brains they have been given are fundamentally wasted on a huge amount of people, then i don't know what does.

I think vote for Nazis = stupid

Don't like psy = stupid

Therefore if you don't like psy you're a nazi, so the reason Psytrance doesn't draw bigger crowds is because everyone is Hitler.

• Like 3

:ph34r::D:D:D:D I think vote for Nazis = stupid

Don't like psy = stupid

Therefore if you don't like psy you're a nazi, so the reason Psytrance doesn't draw bigger crowds is because everyone is Hitler.

point of no return bro!

• Like 1