Is it me or Darkpsy isn't really "dark"?

XoArK

I think recently Darkpsy isn't dark, but just fast. Fast really isn't dark. I need true Dark psytrance, that isn't fast.

(Yes, I know Xenomorph)

Agreed 100%

And what is commonly referred to as "Forest" trance is NOT FUCKING FOREST music

It's goddamn fast trance

Rip Van Hippy

Outolintu

Haltya

That's some true forest music

The misconception of what is Forest annoys me greatly

• Like 1

The darkest track i heard lately isnt dark psy at all:

And to me forest these days is much darker than dark psy, example:

And more groovy and danceable

Just noise to me (Sorry I had to say it)

Don' start a war now :)

Just noise to me (Sorry I had to say it)

Don' start a war now :)

They have creepy atmosphere, that enough forest for me. You should hear such tracks live, whole new dimension. Visit Lost Theory if you can or MODEM, top notch forest and dark music :)

dunno if its been said, but what you want is psycho-psy.

its a subgenre (called differently all over, coming from russia mostly) its 160+ bpm and MADE to fuck with your mind and if ur on acid, to challenge the very boundaries of what holds your psyche together.

example of a "kind" psychopsy artist is ofc Psykovsky. But thats like watching a sunset, to what there is.

Its like if you took 90s Gabber raves - mixed with _INTENTION_ of fucking your head up, but not as fast as gabber.

It's true that many darkpsy ain't that dark, but it's music more suitable for night time. The lack of melodies, the monotonous bass, the overall more sinister sound is something most associated with night and darkness than morning and light.

Another thing is that darkpsy is called that cause when it was created it was (and still is) darker than most Goa and Psy. Hence darkpsy.

Another thing is that there's not one definiton of darkness. There's spacey darkness, evil darkness, spooky darkness, mechanical darkness etc.

For example Darshan, The Delta, Kindzadza, BOTFB, Xenomorph, Necropsycho and Sentient are all dark psy, but its one is a different kind of darkness.

What I've heard from Kindzadza doesn't sound dark or sinister, rather its sounds strange - futuristic, alien maybe(but still captivating). Btw some of his tracks are really melodious but again, some strange kind of melodies. Also there is Kashyyyk which is anything but dark (but it is really hard to find words to describe the mood of Kashyyyk's music).

Overall, the genral aethetics of darkpsy is like "music for/by aliens" as if they were trying to figure out what music created by non-human intelligentt creatures may sound like. Hence there is rthytm (but faster than commonly considered danceable), there is some inner logic in the sounds but usually no melodies (at least nothing like "a melody" in the usual sence).

• Like 1

Well I might be biased but yes I agree with you. Before I discovered psytrance I mainly listened to heavy metal (still do), and I love death metal and black metal because it's evil and dark.

Then I discovered dark psy/forest/twilight and it's a complete joke compared to death metal. Yes there's always exceptions and a couple of good artists here and there but 99% of darkpsy sounds like someone with ADHD put a shitload of FX and called it a song.

I understand darkpsy isn't supposed to be melodic, but where's the fucking groove/riffs/anything musical????

I really tried to like dark psytrance, because I LOVE dark music....but it's just noise to me.

I must have listened to Derango like 5-10 times and I still think it's just noise.

/endrant

Anyways I will recommend Ka-Sol, it's forest trance and I love him because a lot of his songs are insanely groovy...check out Volap for example.

Also Fragletrollet - Playground of spirit album is great.

I love Ka-Sol!

Overall, the genral aethetics of darkpsy is like "music for/by aliens" as if they were trying to figure out what music created by non-human intelligentt creatures may sound like.

This. IMO it's an annoyingly persistent misconception that darkpsy is supposed to sound evil or scary - to me, and I assume to most other people who like it, it sounds psychedelic, abstract, alien, sci-fi, but not in the slightest bit scary.

This. IMO it's an annoyingly persistent misconception that darkpsy is supposed to sound evil or scary - to me, and I assume to most other people who like it, it sounds psychedelic, abstract, alien, sci-fi, but not in the slightest bit scary.

No offense, but why is it called Darkpsy then?

No offense, but why is it called Darkpsy then?

Another thing is that darkpsy is called that cause when it was created it was (and still is) darker than most Goa and Psy. Hence darkpsy.