Share you experiences with meeting psy/goa artists in real life

Ormion

Bad, good, weird experiences. I have to say that pretty much all the psy/goa artists I've met in real life were lovely guys. Filteria, Polyphonia (RIP), Kindzadza, Miraculix, Prometheus, a lot of Greek artists all awesome fellas.

Off the top of my head I've met Colin, Kindzadza, Polyphonia, Laughing Buddha and Raja Ram, all cool guys. Raja Ram in particular came across as one of the nicest people one could ever hope to meet, friendly and really humble despite being one of the bigger names in the scene.

Ages ago Hallucinogen was performing for the first time ever in Melbourne, early-mid 90's. Anyway I never knew what he looked like but before his set I was dancing next to this pasty British dude & chatting about how awesome seeing Hallucinogen on next was. This dude was so down to earth & also seemed super excited for Hallucinogen. Then next thing I know he's walking on stage to perform. He was f#cking Simon Posford :lol:. Was funny at the time.

Also met Infected Mushroom around '98. Super nice guys. Especially Erez. Then I met Astral on their Amen tour, ok guys, nothin special or real PLUR. Also met Alien Project around that time, came across as an absolute w*nker sorry. Really arrogant & self centered.

Color Box: Kenneth!

Massive guy! Afraid of the dark and spiders: we ran like little children from his studio in the garden to his house....hahah!

When we openend boxes with floppy discs, a spider came out and we yelled like kids :)

Imagine: kenneth looks like a viking :P

Visited the attick where they created "train to chroma city": memories <3

We had the same sence of humor: brittish :P

Bypass Unit: René: chaotic as hell...but a nice guy. Real nice guy!!!! Hart of gold :) An very intelligent too.

Except a very few exceptions, I can say Goa artists are friendly people.

Filteria, Crossing Mind, Mindsphere, Artifact303, Nebula Meltdown, E-Mantra, Ka-Sol, RA, Afgin, Radical Distortion, Agneton, PharaOm, Imba, InnerSpace, Ethereal, Talpa, Ephedra (met them at various times since 2004) are all cool, down to earth people!

Merr0w (met in 2008 and later) is a shy guy, but nice too

Shakta (several times since 2007) is a wonderful guy full of energy!

Moonweed (2010) was cool too.

Psyside (several times in 2002) were the typical new french kids on the block also very energetic.

Toï Doï (2002) was a relaxed and precise guy, who like things done in a friendly but stright way.

Tim Schuldt (2003) is a nice person, with lots of hindsight, which contrasts with his physical features :)

I had somewhat a bad experience with Dimension 5 (2007)...enough said.

Gilbert/Martin Cooper from Asia 2001 (met first time in 2003 ?) also used to be a chilled dude

I remember spending some a little time with Toirès in 1998, but I can't recall what we said.

Also met Erez from Infected in 99, twice I think. Nice guy.

Logic Bomb (2002) were very firendly geeky guys enjoying a lot what they were doing.

The Delta (Marcus, Arne, Wayan, 2004) too.

UX (Krys and RX, in 2009) were weird but nice to talk to.

Power Source, Mystica, Sandman (2009) were super friendly as well.

Roy from Shidapu (2010?) was of course extremely nice.

Aes Dana, Mahiane, Solar Fields, Asura, Cell (met several times since 2003) are all cool guys.

I met Shift in 2000 or 2001, a super crazy and casual guy.

Spoke with Psychaos a loooong time ago, nice too.

Tegma (2002?) were fantastically friendly although we didn't know each other at all.

Virtuart (2003) was OK, pretty cautious about what he was saying I think.

The Etnica guys are cool too (I met Max in 99, Maurizio in 2012)

Stéphane from Bamboo Forest (2009), Jaïa (2005), Silicon Sound (2003), also very nice dudes

Blue Planet Corp (2005), Har-El (2010?), Antares (2011) and Goasia (2008) were more "reserved" persons

Lost Buddha (several times between 2007 and 2012) was kind of an ass licker and proved to be a complete idiot.

Tetraktys (2004) was very chilled too, despite his super dark music :)

Phatmatix (2006) sounded quite speedy.

Gregh On Earth (2006) was chilled

Chromatone (2006) was kind of distant but still nice.

Ocelot (2006) sounded completely out of his mind, but I heard several times later that he was a nice guy. I probably met him on the wrong day...

I was told I'd met Zoo-B in 2002, but I don't remember any of it :)

Of course there's Colin OOOD too, friendly being his second nature as everyone knows :)

Ah there is also Polaris, I met him before he made music, somewhere in 1997...silent dude.

Same thing for one of the guys of Gangguru / COP (the tall blond one) met shortly in 2000. Nothing much to say.

I never really say much to the artists or get to hang out with them. I see them in passing or just at the event.

Ajja was humble and had big smiles and would be on the dancefloor catching whoever was on. Menog did this too at Equinox last year for a little bit, hanging out on the dancefloor the last night/day. Jay from Rastalians/Southwild was humble when I gave him props about his set. He then asked nearby places for food which i didnt know due to being out of town as well haha! He's always hanging about with friends. Hux Flux is tall and pretty chill as well. He came over to my car so a friend could...dig something out of his backpack ;p Pspiralife chilled by the fire pit talking to anyone. I didnt know who he was until I asked some question about him possibly playing at the event.

Met Atmos a couple of times. Sarcastic but friendly guy. He played at a friend's friend's house in the Hollywood hills, back when parties getting shut down out of the blue was the norm; we had started in the basement of a downtown hotel, but that got nixed after the first couple of DJs. Later that year (I want to say 2000, but it might have been 2001) I saw him play an awesome morning set in the Mojave Desert.

S.U.N. Project were nice but very shy due to their limited English at the time (2000).

MFG were extremely friendly, humble and down to earth people.

Astral were friendly, though in retrospect I'm VERY glad I didn't ask them anything controversial... nuff said!

IM were shy, again due to the language barrier. Again, they played at a friend's house when their party got shut down. This was around late 99/early 2000.

Space Tribe, Cosmosis, and Posford were nice. Nothing much to say about them.

Mubali is a super nice guy!

Xyla was VERY reserved. I think confusing her for someone else the first time (I don't remember faces well) didn't exactly ingratiate me to her. :P

Stef Holweck had a great sense of humor and wonderful stories about the old days.

EVP is the most opinionated MFer you'll meet in this scene. This means we got along well, naturally. ;)

I gave Jon from Ozrics a wooden bug toy after his gig. :) Wonder if he still has it :)

Talpa, was a really nice, funny guy when I met him tripping in the sunrise to his set outdoors.

Talamasca was a good guy too, let me get a photo with him hah. I didn't mention his new stuff sucks though lol.

Blackstarrfinale, what to say haha Luis is an awesome guy only met him once but really chilled funny dude.

U Recken, seemed ok maybe caught him on a bored day..

Prometheus mmm only briefly met him humoured me with Simon stories.

Oh and Hux Flux is indeed a funny fellow lol, as was Tryambaka.

I met tons & tons of artists of course, and I had loads of great experiences. Around 10-15 bad ones, but I prefer not to write them on the internet... :P

The top 5 nicest artists must be for me:

- Graham (Dimension 5) with who I spend 10 days in Japan like a friend :) always smiling, brittish humor and full of energy

- Seb (Shakta) who came to eat in my house several times, and because I cooked, he told me to stay at the table after diner, because he would do the dishes... Shakta doing your dishes!? Yes :) Extremely nice & passionate guy!! :)

- Kristian (Nebula Meltdown), with who I talked for hours and hours about the most philosophical questions and science. Amazing :)

- Afgin (Afgin), who is the biggest music freak I ever met. Knows every melody, and is always there to help! Drove me specially all around Israel to show me nice places!

- Tsuyoshi (Prana), who is very humble, friendly and interested in cultural things! Spended great times with him :)

Which is clearly a difference to me: goa artists are usually nice (although some are fucked up because of too much hallucinogens), while full on artists are generally more "star attitude" kind of guys.

I've been fortunate to have met and hosted several artists over the years, and almost all of my experiences have been positive. Really the only negative experiences I've had have been with local djs with big egos... but even this has been a pretty small number... (Seems like the artists who actually "deserve" to have big egos are some of the most humble and down to earth people, at least in my experience.)

One of the most humble people I hosted was Simon Posford. He chilled at my place for a few days, was non-demanding and super fun to talk to and hang out with. He even went to a club the night before with me to help promote the event, and was casually walking around with a stack of flyers and talking to people. 99% of the people didn't know who he was and were having conversations about the event and how excited they were to see Hallucinogen, without ever realizing who they were talking to. Same thing happened at the event itself. He was just hanging out on or near the dancefloor the whole time, and there were a few times that people would ask me if I would introduce Hallucinogen to them when he got there, and I would just point to him and say that they had been hanging out with him for the past 20 minutes, and they would be so surprised. It was pretty funny...

Another interesting story is about Mubali. I had been to around 6 events/festivals where he was playing, but for whatever reason I always missed his set. I got there late, was at another stage, had to leave early, etc. Plus he played so many times in the Pacific Northwest while I lived in Oregon, but it seemed like every time he played I was out of town or couldn't make the event for some reason. So even though he and I are both originally from the U.S., I finally saw him in India when we both played at this festival in Orissa. It was a pretty small but friendly festival, and we ended up hanging out a lot for three days. Really friendly guy and super nice. And then he was playing in Goa a couple months later when I was there, and I went to the party, but of course I had to leave around 6 a.m. to catch a flight and he hadn't played yet, so I missed his set again...

But I'm happy to say that all of my "favorite artists" who I have met have turned out to be really nice people, as have most of the people involved, which is one of the reasons why I love this scene so much I guess. (Plus the music's not too bad either :) )

aaaah Mubali. Yes I forgot. I saw hime at a gig near Fukuoka in japan in 2006. The day before the gig I had been hit by a speeding car and broke my lower left leg. So no daning for me. but as the special Gaijin guest of the promoeter (he used me to sll more ticket, :lol: Japan). Anyway by the time I met Greg I was sooooo drunk on free beer & whisky I could hardly talk but sobered up, hung out for the night & went on stage for his live gig. So much fun, so nice a guy. Just makes deep funky twisted forest tunes. I was invited to the hills at sunrise to drink special orange juice :lol: but by then I'd tried dancing on my broken leg and was in agony so went to a hospital for pain killers & to have it reset :lol:

I'm not a very talkative person so I don't speak much with most people anyway, not even my friends...

Most have been very nice, to be honest I don't think I've ever had a negative impression but I attribute it to the fact that I haven't had long conversations with anyone except Neuromotor in India because I got intimate with a cute Swedish girl he was there with.

There is one attribute though that I've discovered in ALL artists, they are all very GEEKY, which makes perfect sense since unless you are into computers it's very difficult to be a Goa/Psy producer.

Very curious how is Filipe Santos in real life as on internet he turned into something quite explosive.

Anyone?

Lost Buddha (several times between 2007 and 2012) was kind of an ass licker and proved to be a complete idiot.

Hux Flux - Weird, but honest guy having this dark scandinavian humour. I don't wanna say what he answered when I asked him about the reasons after all these years to do psytrance...

Talpa - We had a good chat about music and he told me how ageing makes him want to do chillier stuff like prog and downtempo.

Aavepyörä - Honest, friendly and creative personality easy to connect with.

I met Kanc from Goasia couple of times and had great times with him, very cool dude who enjoy talking about music in general. I also met Saša from PsiloCybian/Screw Loose who is a legend, really friendly dude who is 120% into music production so it was fun talking with him, besides thoose I met Lunar Dawn duo (Kristijan and Saša) and we had a blast alongside with DJ Stevo, a lot of rakija, funny stories and memories that I will remember for a looong time. I also met Igor from Perfect Blind / Deimos when he had a gig in my hometown and he is also a great dude, very humble and great person. Anyway I think the most of the artists in Goa genre are friendly and are willing to interact with their fans and doesn't have that star attitude, which is a cool thing, but I haven't met any big names, so I can't speak about thoose :)

Very curious how is Filipe Santos in real life as on internet he turned into something quite explosive.

Anyone?

I missed that part for some reason :o

Agneton - superb and funny guy. Meet him many times, was in his house, spent amazing days together. He is great and close friend.

CoaGoa - great guy and good long time friend and partner. Meet many times as we play together in Space Elves. So far he had few great weeks in different countries. Best memories :)

Etnica (Maurizio) - good guy, had some long talks. Was nice to share stories how it was when he started and how is now. Spent some days together. Great times!

The Muses Rapt - Juan is postive guy. Always smiling. Very very friendly. For someone who is old/legendary name he really know a lot of new guys on scene and really respect their works. Even if he don't know english too much, it was wonderful to speak to him.

Zymosis/Alienapia - Very cool guy. We spent nice evening in club in Moscow.

CJ Catalizer - now that was funny... he is known right? I talk to guy whole night in Moscow, same night with Zymosis. Actually they came together, he already knew my real name and come to me and say hey Nikola, nice to meet you my name is Dmitriy etc... we talk a lot that evening and later i saw him playing b2b set with Zymosis and i was wondering who da fuck is this guy. I knew it's not another guy from Zymosis, this one is totally different. So i was thinking it's just some local DJ... few days after he found me online and sent msg then i realized who is this guy and then i told to him this story ahaha it was funny. Very positive guy. Always smiling, non stop! Crazy :D

Nostromosis - pure blood russian. Patriotism and vodka on maximum ahaha. Very cool guy and good friend! As he is new in production he had many questions about everything that is connected with goa trance and we had some deep and long conversation. I love this guy!

Timofey - mainly he was my translator in Moscow, specialy for Nostromosis. Imagine 2-3 hours of massive translating english to russian and opposite? :D Also he is positive, make a lot of fun on stage and dancefloor. Big music freak with big party spirit. I enjoyed his company!

Z-Cat - well, she is really professional. As she was my manager mainly it was only on professional level. She was great host too. But on personal level i didn't enjoy that much... 'super star' attitude...

Bell Size Park - reaaaaaally cool guy! He gives a lot of attention to new school guys. He can non stop speak about music and it won't be boring. He shared some stories back from 90s when he started... we spent a lot of time together. Good friend!

Power Source - positive, open and respectful. He approached to me to meet and start talking. He shared his opinion of few of my tracks, he really enjoyed. We spent few hours togeher, talking and listening to each other. Sharing some personal informations etc. I was suprised that guy who is famous and old artist is not uppish at all. When you talk to him you will never say this guy makes music for 20 years, he is one of first in Israel etc... it was pleasure to meet him really.

Afgin - positive and cool. We met only on few minutes so i can't say too much :/

Ion Vader - MADNESS!!!!!!! I screamed from that guy whole night ahhahaha. He is superb company, hyperactive and funny. When he start with madness and jokes he cant stop LOL. So much to tell... in short: best experience with him! :lol:

Eyal Iceman - he is special :D We met same night as with Ion Vader, in Brussels... we left for party and in car he start opening his bags, he brings some sweets... it was silent and he asked: Do you want Choooocoooo Tuuutttiiiiiiiii? with italian accent ahaha then some wafles and some more ahaahah then, Ion Vader played his music and start to jump and scream in car... most intense and crazy trip to party :D Two weeks after i met Eyal again in Israel, friendly talks and drinks then we go to his car for headphones and then he showed me what is inside his trunk. A set of equipment for anti-biological war, gas masks etc :lol: and some more things ahah. Special as i said :D

Ephedra - great and serious guy. Spent 5 days in his house, great host and friend! 5 days in studio, a lot of music and madness. Was wonderful!

Persistent Aura - met him on few minutes only but seems like good dude!

Nova Fractal - now thats the serious one! Father and husband. Pillar of the community and citizen of the year :lol: Few days on festival in Spain and he was aaaaaaalways complaining on food, drinks, bed, people, insects... everything! Well i understand it was his outdoor i think but... :D i was screaming thats to him. I know exactly how he felt because i felt same on my first outdoor... but i couldn't stop hahah. Anyway he is really cool guy and good friend and partner! Sorry if you are reading this bro :P:D

Lunar Dawn - both guys are fantastic! Specialy Kristijan with his jokes and faces. Mad times with him :D A lot of crazy stories but i can't share them... to personal :lol:

Quantica - i only met him and he was lost. Don't know if he just woke up or it is because some drugs. But his face was epic!

JIS - spent few days together. He was my host in Budapest. Relaxed and always smiling. It was nice with him! Good friend :)

Asia 2001 - only few minutes of talk. I played after him so we basicly spoke betweens sets. I told him how i enjoyed his set, his old music. How he is one of my favorite goa artists etc. He was really thankful and we spoke about future projects... how he got wish to make more music like back in gold days. Seems like nice guy!

Shidapu (Roy Sason) - actually never met in real life, but we had some 30 minutes phone talk. I don't know if this counts... but he is superb guy!

DJ BOG - i met him few months ago and i also didn't know who is that guy... anyway that could be my 'worst' experience. He was sound guy on party in Israel... always complaining and screaming on everyone. Speaking how his system is best but it was shitty... i couldnt recognize my tracks at start but luckily they fixed it after. And some more happenings i dont want to share... -_-

Generaly all guys are cool. Some are more boring but that doesnt meen they are bad. I met more but for some i don't have nothing interesting to share and for some i have nothing to share at all. And probably i can't remember everyone at this time :)

Met quite a few in Japan back in the early days (97,98,99,2000), just chatting on the dancefloor usually because I was the only foreigner on the dance floor and not many Japanese could speak English! GMS (probably about 17 years old then!!), Deedrah, Raja, Simon, Slinky Wizard, Cosmosis, Double Dragon, Atmos,Jorg,Dino,etc etc. Usually having a great laugh about Japan and what a wacky place it was/is. Good times!

• 3 weeks later...

Mars reminded me for Zoo-B... i met him few months ago and i also didn't know who is that guy... anyway that could be my 'worst' experience. He was sound guy on party in Israel... always complaining and screaming on everyone. Speaking how his system is best but it was shitty... i couldnt recognize my tracks at start but luckily they fixed it after. And some more happenings i dont want to share... -_-

I made big mistake here. Was confused. I never met Zoo-B actually, i switched him with DJ BOG. This way i want to apologise to Zoo-B if he read this!