What do you hate most about Full On?

Shpongled247

Fair enough, but I think Hallucinogen's use of the sample in LSD is a little different. Firstly (although this is a subjective view clearly), musically the track is widely held to be one of the greatest hallmarks of Goa trance, the same cannot be said for 1200mics. Also I feel like Hallucinogen can be forgiven for the sample seeing as the track was made before such samples had already become hideously cliche; in 1994 the sample was iconic, and the track was even more so. Now it has been done to death and far beyond. Fullon that uses drugs samples uses them to attract an audience, and make it's subpar tracks more memorable and in some way more accessible to those hoardes of people who attend parties only to get fucked up (we've all seen it), Hallucinogen already had the quality of track, and genuinely felt the artistic need to reference LSD, I doubt fullon artists feel so genuine about it, I feel they're just using and abusing so to say!

This is just my opinion!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, but I think Hallucinogen's use of the sample in LSD is a little different. Firstly (although this is a subjective view clearly), musically the track is widely held to be one of the greatest hallmarks of Goa trance, the same cannot be said for 1200mics. Also I feel like Hallucinogen can be forgiven for the sample seeing as the track was made before such samples had already become hideously cliche; in 1994 the sample was iconic, and the track was even more so. Now it has been done to death and far beyond. Fullon that uses drugs samples uses them to attract an audience, and make it's subpar tracks more memorable and in some way more accessible to those hoardes of people who attend parties only to get fucked up (we've all seen it), Hallucinogen already had the quality of track, and genuinely felt the artistic need to reference LSD, I doubt fullon artists feel so genuine about it, I feel they're just using and abusing so to say!

This is just my opinion!

Well, as far as I can tell also back in the old days you had lots of people too who wanted to be as fucked up as possible at psy or goa parties. I got in the scene around 2000, through an older brother of a friend, who was djing for several years allready and was very much into the music. And who was in jail previously for selling coke, go figure... I don't doubt that Posford felt the artisctic need to reference LSD, but why can you tell that Raja Ram didn't with 1200 Mics (Posford and Ram were and are collaboration a lot so their minds might not be that far appart)? Simply because the music doesn't fit you? Don't get me wrong: liking an album or an artist is about taste so it's not like I want to make you like 1200 Mics or full-on in general. And there was and is lots of generic crap (from my point of view anyway) that gets released, but also with progressive, dark, and goa (remember the compilations from Zyx Music, World of Goa they were called if I remember right?). But from my point of view that does not make every (or even the majority) artist in that genre a soulless douche who is in it for the fame or money (or the drugs). Just because it does not fit you does not mean other people can't be in it with their heart.

KbbbK 2 days and 2 nights and u will scream in pain

Haha yes...

12 hours of full on is enough for me and every track starts sounding the same... :/

Probably could be said for a lot of genres though

The best samples are not the ones that directly talk about psychedelics, but imply something about the psychedelic experience which may or may not have anything to do with the drugs.

I completely agree, which is why I think, given the wealth of recorded words by Terence McKenna, people always choose the wrong ones. There are some parts of his talks that would make great samples that have nothing to do with drugs.

Fullon bassline -> Drug Reference -> Corny main lead . . . and sometimes, electric guitar synthesizers. Eugh.

Haha! I see what you mean ;p

Well, you can also find a lot of drug references in old-school goa songs so the drug-loving wannabe-image does not come from (bad) full-on alone... ;)

I too loved the first 1200 mics cds. but with this statement, lets all just say it together now.. "f*ckin hippies!" 8)

jk - I love all people ^_-

and to add to the convo - I think Doof was the best with samples. Mmhmm 'Let's Turn On' and 'Youth of the Galaxy' anyone?

I listened to Heroes of the Imagination yesterday for the first time in years, after hearing a sample of one of the tracks in K-BAN's quiz. And I have to admit that it was much better than I remembered.

I listened to Heroes of the Imagination yesterday for the first time in years, after hearing a sample of one of the tracks in K-BAN's quiz. And I have to admit that it was much better than I remembered.

ah, cool to read this just now. 8) I was hoping it would cause people to look up songs I used or re-listen to the albums. that specific song 'E-Mc2' - Im a little sick of that one but used it because I felt it was the most well-known on the album. 'Renaissane Superman' is probably my favorite.

as for what i also hate about full-on now-a-days.. when songs do a sound like this. like a vibration vvrt vrrt. the lead pushes in waves or something. there are artists that do this sound to the extreme which i cant think of now, but I bumped into this album this mornning since I loved Prosper's first album. some of these samples are 'ok'

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/exp/exp1cd005.html

Chessy guitar riffs and samples.

Good example (even it's not 'full-on')

http://youtu.be/Uig8ir71V2A?t=2m33s

Awful example:

http://youtu.be/IMPE3KrOFyY?t=1m37s

I used to like that Astrix track and guitar tracks in general. Take away the guitar and the sounds aren't too bad, but it needs a lead to replace the guitar climaxes.

As for SUN Project - man! still killer! I think the best examples of guitars in the scene is their '380 Volt' track where they appear often. it goes with the bass and rhythm of the song so well. '4-7 days' is a good example of that too but not as potent quitars. another awesome thing about SUN Project - take away guitars from their music and they are SO psychedelic. trippy, organic alien groovage ;O on the same level of weirdness as Toi Doi for me.

back to horrible psy.. wasn't it both Hypersonic and Paranormal Attack which had horrible guitar tracks?

back to horrible psy.. wasn't it both Hypersonic and Paranormal Attack which had horrible guitar tracks?

Skazi has horrible guitar track in my opinion.

Sun project does it at master level !

Twina use it in progressive song and it fits very well the thing !

Once I said it short :D

The only good psy artist to use guitar is cosmosis... And ooooonly just hah. Borders on cheese at times.. Still his live antics would be fun to watch. Seems like a nice chap too.

Did you try the two albums by Schädelleuchten? I actually enjoy their use of live guitars. It's also not cheesy full-on but psychedelic trance.

And Cosmosis live is indeed fun to watch. He is a real showman and knows how to interact with an audiecen. And his music is great too.

Dunno if this qualifies as psytrance in the strict sense of the term , it sure does get me in a state of trance... I like the use of guitars here .. one the best live acts ive seen on youtube ...

e. oops this is a hate thread !

Buildups which lead to another buildup which lead to a 1 bar tease into a drop which is just the kb track. And variations thereof. Fucking annoying. Any buildup which doesn't lead to an immediate, powerful enough release sends me into a frothy murderous frenzy.

Buildups which lead to another buildup which lead to a 1 bar tease into a drop which is just the kb track. And variations thereof. Fucking annoying. Any buildup which doesn't lead to an immediate, powerful enough release sends me into a frothy murderous frenzy.

:lol:

Dunno if this qualifies as psytrance in the strict sense of the term , it sure does get me in a state of trance... I like the use of guitars here .. one the best live acts ive seen on youtube ...

e. oops this is a hate thread !

Woow, that's awesome! Not so much because of the guitars (they do rock tho) but because of the rest of Music!

I hate the breaks.

In earlier times, you had fewer of them and they were wisely put and structured.

Nowadays, it's bam-bam-bam -- break, "drop" like you are in dubstep (did I mention that I hate dubstep? sorry can't help myself), maybe a sample or something of a guy calling something about drugs, freakouts or just anything meaningless -- then bam-bam-bam again. You feel like dancing like a maniac, then you suddenly stop and think where the fuck you are, then you wanna dance like a maniac again. Where on earth is the continuity that trance should be about?!

The breaks got more frequent, but the parts between the breaks got more intense -- a paradox if you ask me.

I really had nothing against breaks, but these days when they play that shit full on I feel like Wiley Coyote taking the earthquake pills (I'm sure you know that one ;) )...

And then these awful "drag-ups" every, like, ten or twenty seconds ... where beat gets faster, accompanied by screeching upwards synth whirls, then a break and continue. Fine if you do that once in a while, but fifty times in a track?! Come on, that's pathetic!

I hate the breaks. In earlier times, you had fewer of them and they were wisely put and structured.Nowadays, it's bam-bam-bam -- break, "drop" like you are in dubstep (did I mention that I hate dubstep? sorry can't help myself), maybe a sample or something of a guy calling something about drugs, freakouts or just anything meaningless -- then bam-bam-bam again. You feel like dancing like a maniac, then you suddenly stop and think where the fuck you are, then you wanna dance like a maniac again. Where on earth is the continuity that trance should be about?!

agreed 100%.

The breaks got more frequent, but the parts between the breaks got more intense -- a paradox if you ask me.

umm no, not necessarily. what i'm noticing lately is that breaks mostly lead to just kicknbass. there are no great climaxes (which imho are perfectly compatible with entrancing continuity).

you got kick+bass and the whole thing starts building and building, then comes an (overly long) break, but instead of introducing the parts of the next section or bringing it all back with added stuff for a climax, we're left with an underwhelming kick and bass combo and nothing more. it imho takes the whole energy out of it.

And then these awful "drag-ups" every, like, ten or twenty seconds ... where beat gets faster, accompanied by screeching upwards synth whirls, then a break and continue. Fine if you do that once in a while, but fifty times in a track?! Come on, that's pathetic!

+100

i have no problem with a riser or a snareroll (i haven't heard one in fullon for a long time btw) or a "kickroll" or "cymbalroll" (there are surely words for these two, but i think everyone gets what i'm trying to say ;) ) or a opening lp-filter on the kicknbass or even those glitchy "cut-up-beat" effects, but why do they try to put EVERY SINGLE ONE of those tricks (except the snareroll) into EVERY SINGLE BREAK?

I hate the breaks.

In earlier times, you had fewer of them and they were wisely put and structured.

Nowadays, it's bam-bam-bam -- break, "drop" like you are in dubstep (did I mention that I hate dubstep? sorry can't help myself), maybe a sample or something of a guy calling something about drugs, freakouts or just anything meaningless -- then bam-bam-bam again. You feel like dancing like a maniac, then you suddenly stop and think where the fuck you are, then you wanna dance like a maniac again. Where on earth is the continuity that trance should be about?!

I really had nothing against breaks, but these days when they play that shit full on I feel like Wiley Coyote taking the earthquake pills (I'm sure you know that one ;) )...

THANK YOU! THANK-F*CKIN-YOU!

Agreed. 8)