The best live psy act you ever saw

CosmoNaughty

no no that was shiva joerg who djed they switched places on the timetable , sandman brought an excellent real live act!

I was very much looking forward to Sandman's Live set at BooM this year, but he only djed with some old TIP hits and Hallucinogen tracks!!

I was on much live's but i will tell you that the best live is Astral Projection lives

I was 11 times on their concert

Last time i was, is in zagreb disco Astralis there was tegma too, but was awsome :D

• 4 months later...

I was on much live's but i will tell you that the best live is Astral Projection lives

:D

I have been to Astral Projection LIVE only one time and it was very-very good. Was around the year 2003 I think. It was indoors though and not many people due to Internet. But really enjoyed.

*due to internet I mean how it brings all the bad vibes says how Astral Projection are uncool because they are too popular etc.

There are som many to mention. But there's one that really sticks to my mind:

Absolum & 3D Records Tour in Japan - Nagoya (2001)

However I have to make it clear that in 2001, Absolum still was playing his old tracks (I had an orgasm with "Goldfinger"), not the psychedelic-garbage he plays currently.

I remember that at 6am sharp, the Japanese club manager turned on all the lights because their contract stated that exactly at 6 am the sound was over,

but the Japanese (and a lot of foreigners) refused do leave the club and everybody was shouting "more! more! more!" B) And then someone (was it Elysium?) played more

3 tracks. It was glorious!!

Last time i was, is in zagreb disco Astralis there was tegma too, but was awsome :D

Dude, that one S U C K E D ! ! !

And I mean that, all taste issues set aside, I though it was embarassing. I like Astral Projection, and have been to their shows quite a few times (yes, in Zagreb), but damn... The one @ Aquarius had me thinking they lost all musical craftsmanship... That they gave up on their integrity, etc.

The crowd was some of the worst EVER at ANY party in this wonderful city of mine. At one point I saw eleven (11!!!) drunk guys in a row, all hugged together, singing some patriotic croatian folk song - and they were louder than the music. Half of them shirtless, missing fourteen teeth in a row.

Elsewhere, champagne popping guys looking for a place to lay their ice bucket - around the fucking dance floor?!?!?

Too many lost souls wandering around without the slightest clue of why are they there, how to cope with the situation, or how to get out...

There were plenty good looking girls, I'll give 'em that. More than on your regular psy event B)

Oh man, I'm laughing now as I write this, images flying back into my mind. That party was like an awesome Monty Python sketch about a party :D

However, to end on a positive note, Astral Projection had some breathtaking gigs in Zagreb in the last decade and some change or so...

Guest nectarios

Slinky Wizard, Sola luna 2001 :ph34r:

+1

MWNN 1994 (or was it '95, can't remember).

Union Jack 1995

Cosmosis 1996

Prana 1996

Etnica 1997

X-Dream 1998

Man Made Man 1999

Tristan 1999 (First time I heard Audiodrome LP live)

Kox Box Samothraki 2001

Bamboo Forest Samothraki 2001

Dado 2001

GBU 2002

Serge - The Antidote 2002

Then FFW to 2009, The Antidote again

Tristan again in 2009 (talk about consistency 10 years down the line still rocking it).

Peace out.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see many live psy acts. Infected Mushroom and Astral Projection about 6 years ago, and Infected Mushroom once a year or two before that. As much as I hate to say it, Infected Mushroom was much better than AP. AP showed up like an hour late and I'm pretty sure they just stood up there acting like they were doing something while playing a mix. Too bad, since I like their music so much more.

Party I'm going to this weekend is supposed to have a live act, but they're listed as techno. Maybe it'll be psy tech.

I was only a toddler when the old school greats were playing D: ; so the best act i've see so far is Loose Connection, it's glitchy beepy dark psy which i can get into sometimes, anyway, that night it reaaaally hit the spot!

I live in the midwestern united states and until recently didn't have much money to travel on; so I haven't seen many live acts - I did catch Hallucinogen a few years ago and was very impressed. I caught Astral Projection in 2009, however, and thought it kinda sucked. :\

Seriously there should be less Best Live acts topics (no one play live anyway) and more "Who's the best DJ" topics as IMO a real party is when you got a few great Dj's playing long sets taking you on a Journey getting you into a real state of trance (after all that's what this scene is all about - or used to be). I challenge anyone to tell me that more than 0.5% of the total number of "live acts" can do that to you in a party. I myself haven't experienced any "Live act" whatsoever getting me into a state of trance as there's way too many breaks (pauses when a new band enter the stage) and applause making it impossible to get into a state of trance. On the other hand I have had many amazing experiences over the years dancing for hours and hours to great Dj's who knew how to communicate with the people on the floor getting every single of us into a state of trance (some of us even without the use of chemicals).

BUT Eat Static is undoubtedly the best Live act I've ever seen within the borders of this scene..

Seriously there should be less Best Live acts topics (no one play live anyway) and more "Who's the best DJ" topics as IMO a real party is when you got a few great Dj's playing long sets taking you on a Journey getting you into a real state of trance (after all that's what this scene is all about - or used to be). I challenge anyone to tell me that more than 0.5% of the total number of "live acts" can do that to you in a party. I myself haven't experienced any "Live act" whatsoever getting me into a state of trance as there's way too many breaks (pauses when a new band enter the stage) and applause making it impossible to get into a state of trance. On the other hand I have had many amazing experiences over the years dancing for hours and hours to great Dj's who knew how to communicate with the people on the floor getting every single of us into a state of trance (some of us even without the use of chemicals).

BUT Eat Static is undoubtedly the best Live act I've ever seen within the borders of this scene..

I understand what you mean, however, because of the fact that not even so much is live in a "live act" these "live sets" tend to become DJ sets of the artist's own tracks ... and in this case, it then gets good again! The best example of a disadvantage becoming an advantage :)

Guest nectarios

I understand what you mean, however, because of the fact that not even so much is live in a "live act" these "live sets" tend to become DJ sets of the artist's own tracks ... and in this case, it then gets good again! The best example of a disadvantage becoming an advantage :)

It doesn't though, because the flow between live acts gets interrupted by the abrupt change of style when the live acts switch over + live acts have no control of set flow, its the live set from start to finish + they can't play other people's tunes that would fit better than time and vibe of the dancefloor on that moment.

+1 on my best parties being the ones with long DJ sets.

Peace out.

It doesn't though, because the flow between live acts gets interrupted by the abrupt change of style when the live acts switch over + live acts have no control of set flow, its the live set from start to finish + they can't play other people's tunes that would fit better than time and vibe of the dancefloor on that moment.

Peace out.

Exactly my point. A live act is better suited for Festivals and concerts. Not indoor parties where the goal should be to keep a flow in the party making sure people reach a state of trance. Otherwise why call it "Trance"? ;)

Peace out.

Well it does not necessarily have to be like that.. if the organizer has done a good job this should not be a major issue, but it might just not happen so often... but I follow your point.

Exactly my point. A live act is better suited for Festivals and concerts. Not indoor parties where the goal should be to keep a flow in the party making sure people reach a state of trance. Otherwise why call it "Trance"? ;)

Why is out-door parties/festivals not meant to put people into trance?

Though in festivals the sounds of various live-acts are usually more integrated and less abrupted... hence more "trancy" :P

Why is out-door parties/festivals not meant to put people into trance?

Though in festivals the sounds of various live-acts are usually more integrated and less abrupted... hence more "trancy" :P

I agree it should. But let's be honest now. When you got a lot of artists and DJs and a concert atmosphere where people applaud each act in the breaks (sometimes after each track) from act to act it's damn hard to get into a state of trance. As an example today's Festivals (especially the big ones) are more like commercial Rock Festivals which I think is great as well. But IMO especially small/medium or even big indoor parties could benefit from finding their way back to the roots, which is to dance yourself into a state of trance with the help of a continuous uninterrupted flow in music, and skip the obligatory "live-acts". Instead they could hire a small amount of DJ's who play long consistent sets with no interruption and "Hail the live-act and DJ gods" between each set.

I know it's utopia but it would be nice :)

I agree about Elysium, but that's the case only with people who care about flow.

I personally am a person who prefers twists and turns. I can't stand those sets that seems to flow forever,

For me the only thing that matters in a dj set is the selection of tracks. I don't care aboyt flow, nor about changes. I have no problem listening to a 140 bpm track, followed by a 150 one and a 140 after that.

I know I'm the vast minority though.

I agree it should. But let's be honest now. When you got a lot of artists and DJs and a concert atmosphere where people applaud each act in the breaks (sometimes after each track) from act to act it's damn hard to get into a state of trance. As an example today's Festivals (especially the big ones) are more like commercial Rock Festivals which I think is great as well. But IMO especially small/medium or even big indoor parties could benefit from finding their way back to the roots, which is to dance yourself into a state of trance with the help of a continuous uninterrupted flow in music, and skip the obligatory "live-acts". Instead they could hire a small amount of DJ's who play long consistent sets with no interruption and "Hail the live-act and DJ gods" between each set.

I know it's utopia but it would be nice :)

I completely agree, the whole applause rock-culture thing is really annoying if you are in a good trance! I don't think it is a big problem with smaller parties, and for one just try to avoid the the "bigger" parties if there is no must see, which is really rare here in Cph (but you should also know that :P). And I definitely don't think its a total impossible utopia to find ;) but it's rare I guess. Do you ever go to "forest trance" parties in DK or Sweden?