The best live psy act you ever saw

CosmoNaughty

21 minutes ago, Paul Eye said:

Oh right, completely forgot the Simon+Raja 20th anniversary (?) set, that was nice too.
The X-Dream part finished with some version of "The 1st", that's still one of those magical moments you get once in a lifetime. I actually was a bit worn out and in a state of mind unable to dance, so I sat through X-Dream/The Delta in a plastic garden chair somewhere on the dancefloor. Didn't diminish the experience at all XD

I was going mad when X-Dream played. Danced my ass off =)). That was a good year of Ozora. Ozric started the festival the best way possible. Ott and Banco de Gaia with magical sets.

14 hours ago, staffan said:

I saw Astral in Arvika 2000 with live drums, so three guys on stage. Worked really well. Nice touch, but maybe not what you experienced?

What Hallucinogen party were you at? I saw him 2004 in cph, with Frank E and Orion. I didn't liked the venue, but Simon delivered a banging set. =))

X-Dream amager bio 1999 or maybe 1998, I didn't have a ticket so I couldn't get in, lol, =P Went to Christiania instead. Hahaha, almost same thing in 2000 at big vega in cph. X-dream and Atmos on the line up. 18 years on the flyer, but when I got there they said 20, I was 18. So... on to Christiania again. =))

well, it might have worked well for many but i found it very distracting as i was planning on dancing journeys into their originals, and each "unknown" added element such as the drums took me out of the zone each time :) best i remember it anyway. i dont recall a third person.

the hallucinogen party must have been in that same timeframe. i have to be honest i dont remember if it was a pure hallucinogen event or if there were other acts playing aswell before simon. but orion rings a kinda strong bell, so its very likely it was the same event.

that was one of the nights i was most "gone" so sadly i dont have the best recollection of the evening, but the simon set was incredible, his live versions are sooo good. three standouts that i do have some memory of is shamanix, loin sleeps tonight and gamma goblins.

i think the venue was rathter small, and some sort of balkony that you could walk up to that had seats iirc? kinda werid and shady venue.

haha, yeah, christiania after every visit to cph was a must ;) and before too many times :P just walking distance from the ferries. (rip)

on one of the visits to amager, the line was so long that by the time the show started the shrooms were already wearing off :D and standing in line isnt exactly top notch setting :p

disclaimer: im not promoting drugs only recalling some memories. drugs do fuck u up. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, astralprojection said:

well, it might have worked well for many but i found it very distracting as i was planning on dancing journeys into their originals, and each "unknown" added element such as the drums took me out of the zone each time :) best i remember it anyway. i dont recall a third person.

the hallucinogen party must have been in that same timeframe. i have to be honest i dont remember if it was a pure hallucinogen event or if there were other acts playing aswell before simon. but orion rings a kinda strong bell, so its very likely it was the same event.

that was one of the nights i was most "gone" so sadly i dont have the best recollection of the evening, but the simon set was incredible, his live versions are sooo good. three standouts that i do have some memory of is shamanix, loin sleeps tonight and gamma goblins.

i think the venue was rathter small, and some sort of balkony that you could walk up to that had seats iirc? kinda werid and shady venue.

haha, yeah, christiania after every visit to cph was a must ;) and before too many times :P just walking distance from the ferries. (rip)

on one of the visits to amager, the line was so long that by the time the show started the shrooms were already wearing off :D and standing in line isnt exactly top notch setting :p

disclaimer: im not promoting drugs only recalling some memories. drugs do fuck u up. 

I also remember hearing from people who went to AP events around that time, either in Sweden or Denmark. About the added live drums. I also thought it sounded a bit experimental, and not really in line with the spacey electronic vibe. That’s the whole purpose for me with this style of Goa. The spacey otherwordly effect, created with synthetic sounds.

So I would probably be totally taken out of the zone as well. But hey can’t blame them for experimenting atleast, they seem to have been pioneering/testing the field a bit. Prior to Infected Mushrooms full-on rockband approach some years later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

its interesting you guys mention "live" drums as someone is actually playing a drumset or a drum machine.

but i reeally cant place a third guy there at all, but ofc memory is very much falliable.

either way it didnt sound like "live" drums per se, just like if it was one more layer in their projects - with extra percussion - on top of the others; not mixed in the same manner, and even ontop of the mastered tracks already.

i wasnt technically savvy of music back then, but using what i know now, and applying to my memory.

it sounded like they just hooked up a drum machine or something like that, and had pre-made patterns ready for every track. it did not look like it was "live" nor did it sound that way. maybe they got lazy for that one event at amager or i just mis-remember. 

anyway, its very interesting to read that they had a third guy there playing drums for some of their sets! even though i dont fully understand why even do that - it doesnt fit with their music (imo) their music is generally carefully engineered, and just putting a new layer ontop with drums whether live, or premade just made no sense to me personally.

and another sad thing was that every "classic" track they played it was the "In the mix" versions of them. Although I love those versions too especially dancing galaxy and i think flying into a star - it was also a a bit disappointing not to hear the originals. ofc this is very much subjective, and only my opinion ofc. anyone else might have loved it! 

what would be even better is if they had specific live versions of their tracks just like Simon (or even Infected - and probably many more), but I suppose thats too much work for them :)

they seem to not like much work otherwise their album would be ready already :rolleyes:

/end rant

• Sad 1

Interesting! I always imagined it beeing a real drummer on stage with them. Only based on the very vague accounts, of what people told me. Who probably were clueless, as to what they actually experienced.

But my guess would be that the flyers and event marketed it in such a way?  I.E Astral Projection with Live Drums or something to that effect?

• Sad 1

I did some research on the internetz and found the name of the drummer who played with AP, Danni Makov, I didn't remember that. This is from 2000 when I saw them, no idea how long they did that. It wasn't until 2016 I experienced them live again. =))

So a video of God is a DJ remix.

And the whole show, I think it was aired on Swedish public radio. Not the best quality, probably the 192 kbps that floated around after.

I like when artists do something with their live sets. Sure it doesn't always work, but here I have no problem with it. =))

14 hours ago, staffan said:

I like when artists do something with their live sets. Sure it doesn't always work, but here I have no problem with it. =))

thats what i remember it sounding like. but i remember them being in a small booth, and really have no recollection of a third guy. but it sounded like that! tbh i dont think it sounds or fits very nicely. especially on let there be light ; its not even specifically on beat. and while i love a little shuffle and humanized patterns, it certainly dont work with a solid 4/4 trance beat, IMHO. 

but thats whats great we all have different taste :)

10 years later....
Some of the best acts of the decade:
BotFB
BotFB vs KaSol 
Moonstone Project (Spectral and Spies)
Infinity project by Graham Wood (probably the only one on the same level as Simon P IMHO)
Ubar Tmar
Ott

DJs
Masa
Ray Castle
Ree K.
Jean Borelli (Orion)

On 7/3/2021 at 11:29 PM, staffan said:

Prana at SUN festival 2014. First time I experienced Prana, before I've herd Tsuyoshi dj set and Joujouka live. This time Tsuyoshi blasted the dance floor with a perfect Prana set. Alien Pets, Taiyo (Chakra Remix), yeah you know. Also the whole evening/night was great, Benji Vaughan, Younger Brother, Shpongle, Jan from X-Dream dj, Children of Paradise all playing before Prana.

It was also my first time with Prana that night, didn't particularly like. Tsuyoshi  played too much modern stuff in between the classics. The rest of the night was wicked though and I think Etnica was afterwards??? I went to sleep though, was too tired.
X-dream/COP was perfect for that time of the night.

23 hours ago, Trunksan said:

It was also my first time with Prana that night, didn't particularly like. Tsuyoshi  played too much modern stuff in between the classics. The rest of the night was wicked though and I think Etnica was afterwards??? I went to sleep though, was too tired.

X-dream/COP was perfect for that time of the night.

Yep, Etnica played after Prana. But I could hardly stand up at the time, 6 am-ish, so I stumbled to my tent. Jan from X-dream played some really old school stuff if I remember correctly, like Age of Love.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2016 was an amazing year for retro live acts in Stockholm:

X-dream live at Kraken. Small venue. Mostly die hard old school fans. Great vibe. Mind blown. (Etnica/Pleiadians played the same night but their "retro set" was all over the place, and they failed to create a psychedelic flow).

Hallucinogen live at Annexet in Stockholm 2016. Amazing sound system. Excellent floor to dance on. Mind blown. Best live experience of all time. Shpongle played the same night, but something was wrong with the sound setup, it sounded very muffled. When Hallucinogen started playing the sound was incredibly crisp and detailed.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Trolsk said:

(Etnica/Pleiadians played the same night but their "retro set" was all over the place, and they failed to create a psychedelic flow).

It's not like this comes as any kind of a surprise to me.

• Haha 1

Ooohhh and another that was fantastic:

Alwoods @ IT Athens

I've heard Giannis play 4-5 times already but that one was magical and not just for me, a lot of people were blown away, literally as soon as he came down from the booth there were people taling about booking him for private events, fests etc