Hidden Tracks

Insejn

I don't like hidden tracks. I don't understand why an artist decides to have a hidden track on an album. It's so incredible stupid and pointless and it pisses me off. It will get far less listens because nobody is willing to sit through the 10mins of complete silence or forward to it because it too much of a hassle. So why do they do it? Is it because they think the listeners will believe the album is finished when in fact it's not? Well, wooopi wooo I just shat my pants in excitement for the HIDDEN SHIT TRACK.

Well, if there is a room left, they simply add some "filler" track to fill up the CD with content, while the track itself isnt bad either, they chose not to add it to tracklist since probably it doesnt fit into their concept of current album, ie, its simply doesnt fit in so its left out from tracklist not to ruin over all composition. IMO.

If there is a "filler" track. They name it Bonus track and make it without silent and shit, and thats that.

I quite like to have the surprise of a hidden bonus track :D But well, it can be annoying as well, if you have silence, and all of a sudden a new track starts and scares the living shit out of you. This is specially NOT recommended if you wear headphones :lol:

Carbon Based Lifeforms have one of those in their world of sleepers album. But the hidden track is just pointless imo, I mean it's not a good track at all. Just random squaky noises in some kinda rhythm, which doesnt even sound mastered to me. I respect unreleased tracks, but hidden? They're hidden for a reason, probs cos they needed to fill in the cd's length or something.. Oh well..

I don't like the situation when the hidden track is great. So the only way to listen to it individually is to fast forward the last track.

For example the hidden track in CBL-World Of Sleepers. I's my favorite track of the album so I needed to cut the wav file myself.

I don't like the situation when the hidden track is great. So the only way to listen to it individually is to fast forward the last track.

For example the hidden track in CBL-World Of Sleepers. I's my favorite track of the album so I needed to cut the wav file myself.

Oops I was wrong about that track. Must of confused it with another hidden track from somewhere else. Yeah that is a good track, it shouldn't be hidden. It's not my favourite from that album tho :)

I love hidden tracks, I love the surprise moment and I love that there are some very good hidden tracks like the Hidden track on the Zodiac youth compilation, the track after "Fast forword the future voodoo people rmx" is a very unique psychedelic ambient track with winteratmosphere. The first angelic particles track on Twisted is also very good for a hidden track.

Hidden tracks are annoying, particularly as I am in the process of converting my entire collection to FLAC for DJing. Any time I run across a hidden track I have to go in and break it out using a WAV editor. Irritating.

Hahaha, i did the same, takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages! :D What are you djing with by the way?

While having the extra track is nice, why do they hide it?

I can imagine years ago on vinyl on releases it was a surprise but now with CDs we can see that the last track is 20 minutes long on the display but only 7 minutes on the cover, so how much silence before the last track?

I've said it before & I'll say it again Why don't they just include the hidden track on the cover & have it at the end. Call it a bonus or whatever but DON'T! DON'T have 10 minutes of silence wasting space on your alum. Hol Bauman, CBL I'm looking at you!!! :ph34r:

Colorbox did it right, the hidden track was after maybe 5 seconds of silence :posford:

By happy coincidence I received Naked Tourist's Mad Different Methods in the post a few days ago. I can understand why they chose to stick the extra track at the end, it's good but has a very different style to the rest of the album, and I imagine it would really damage the flow of the album otherwise.

BTW, I wouldn't really call tracks which play after n minutes silence "hidden" - the real way to hide a track is to stick it in the space before the first track of the album begins, like the hidden track on Ae's EP7. It was a nice surprise discovering that after I'd already had the CD for a couple of years (though actually getting at it wasn't easy, I had to use EAC in the end).

Hahaha, i did the same, takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages! :D What are you djing with by the way?

I'm still on CDs but I am preparing for the inevitable shift... I really like the idea of having an external HD with every song I might ever play in a set all sorted and properly tagged in lossless format. It is a lot of work! In fact, I have been at it since mid-2006, slowly processing all the music I have lying around. Eventually I figure I will purchase a laptop and play with Traktor, but this will take some funding of some kind or another... and at present I am but a poor student :)

I dont mind hidden tracks as long as there an actual track after the last listed one, & not after 15mins of no sound. I hate that. It just adds more time to the album so it seems longer & tries to make u think you are getting more for your money. I also dont like those ones were u have to rewind from the beginning of a track as some cd players wont recognize it & if its an mp3 it wont work either. That being said hidden tracks are nowhere near as bad as record labels that re-release albums as special editions/digipaks like 6 months to a year after its released with like 5-6 bonus tracks/bonus dvd with music videos/making of the album/etc. I hate labels trying to milk things especially when the new songs are usually just filler ie covers/demo/etc. Movies are terrible for this too. Why does there have to be different versions for everything. Just cuz someone lives in japan instead of north america he should get 2 extra tracks or a movie/video game with different(and usually more/better content). I dont think so. I shouldn't have to but essentially the same thing multiple times to get all the content I want. It makes it way too hard to get a bands discography or the best version of ur favourite movie/game without having to pirate it.

I can imagine years ago on vinyl on releases it was a surprise but now with CDs we can see that the last track is 20 minutes long on the display but only 7 minutes on the cover, so how much silence before the last track?

Did anyone actually do that on vinyl?

I think the whole hidden track thing on CDs was just someone's clever idea, but clever ideas cease to be clever after a few times.

Did anyone actually do that on vinyl?

I think the whole hidden track thing on CDs was just someone's clever idea, but clever ideas cease to be clever after a few times.

I think some of the beatles albums did but I'm not sure, nothing springs to mind except a conversation with my father about it when I was younger.

Well on vinyl you can see the tracks, so that would have been something of a giveaway.