Site questions / Requests

NEMO.BOFH

I have the opposite problem (not actually a problem as far as I'm concerned, but it should perhaps be brought to your attention if it's symptomatic of the same fuckup): I can receive new PM's even though my messenger claims to be full.

P.S. did you notice the issues I mentioned in another thread?

Yeah, IPB3 boards still have bugs. The fact that some config values remained empty after the upgrade also cause side effects. All will get solved over time, I'll investigate reported issues and install every new patch.

About your other problems, yeah I saw, but I don't think this is related to psynews. I'd rather say some mages are built in such a way that they trigger some existing bug in IE or its plugins.

UPDATE: PM full override is only configured here for admins and mods. The fact your PMbox can be more than full is, therefore, a bug.

UPDATE: Similarly, my PM box is full, and even though I'm in the overrides list, it keeps saying it's full....definitely a bug (the same, inversed logic I suppose).

UPDATE: Chat should be working now. It works for me right now. Oh and it requires the Java VM, you lucky Rotwang :)

Can anyone please send me a PM, and if it doesn't work, can you please make me a screenshot of the error?

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if new avatars wouldn't take days (sometimes) to replace old ones. Do mods have to approve first I wonder? My old photo stays all stretched out (to compensate for the size of the new avatar) for days sometimes until the new one replaces it. :(

Updated: thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just noticed that a post I wrote a while back is half missing (and it's obviously not the result of intentional moderation, unless there's been some weird-ass moderation going on). Anybody know what gives? link

I've just noticed that a post I wrote a while back is half missing (and it's obviously not the result of intentional moderation, unless there's been some weird-ass moderation going on). Anybody know what gives? link

Nobody? Oh well, I'm going to go and fix the post so the evidence will shortly be missing.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but I'd like to have a rating section in the reviews, that readers can adjust. So atm the first reviewer gives away the star-rating that is displayed in the thread title, but it doesn't refer to what the people are thinking. I'd like it a lot more if each reader (logged in user) could give away his own rating, as you can do on youtube etc. then the average rating is displayed in the title. that would make the titles less subjective. for example the infected mushroom album vicious delicious in 2007 got a 1/5 star rating from its first reviewer, but that may not be what most people think. still your first impression is like "wow, this gotta be shitty" and you start out being biased about it.

so, as i said, maybe this has been asked for earlier and if so, i want to re-point it out again =)

thx for reading and have a nice day ;)

• 2 months later...

I have a little idea, wouldn´t it be neat with a little bar at the top of the site just above: "View the latest news" which would contain small thumbnail CD front covers, which would update everytime someone writes something new in the corresponding review thread. As it is now I scroll up and down a lot to see if there are any new reviews/posts in each year section, and even then it´s very easy to miss new reviews/posts. Since there are often multiple new posts at once. And it isn´t very comfortable to scroll up and down all the time if you are using a laptop without a mouse.

And if someone has made an entirely new review thread, it would be highlighted or something with the words "New Review!" That would of course require that all new reviews have to contain a CD frontal cover, in order for the system to work properly. Just a little thing I have been thinking about for a while, I don´t know how realistic it is with the current site structure. It´s probably more easy to implement if one has a more customized site.

*edit* I just realized that there is a column on the right called: "Recently Added Topics" Which I never watch for some reason lol,(tunnel vision maybe) This idea would probably work there as well, but I suppose our eyes focus more on the upper part of the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering (but someony probably already suggested this idea), is it possible to introduce some kind of psynews radio player on this site? It would be great to listen to some good selected music while browsing the site :) I don't know how limited you are (considering the site's structure at this time), but I just thought it would be great innovation for psynews :) 

Cheers :)

It actually existed 9 years ago. But I had the time to put up a lot of music online with the little means we had.

Now this is the contrary: the server and bandwidth are massive but I have no time for it.

Why not hire someone to do it then? Well, IMO this is unnecessary. Back in 2002 a psy radio initiative was launched by some (almost) neighbors of mine: http://psychedelik.com Our system looked so pathetic compared to Bertrand's platform that we decided to stop Psynews radio. Simple as that.

And nowadays there's a bunch of other online radios you can listen too. My opinion is we would just be yet another player with no real added value.

My profile views counter in me profile seems to be stuck at where it's presently at. I noticed because I had another registered logged-on visitor pay a visit but ye old counter did not go up.

A self-obsessed man like myself needs to know how popular he is dammit. What gives!? Posted Image

Jon Posted Image

• 1 month later...

The site feels awfully slow as of late, anyone else experience this?

I did a major database change tonight, you can expect a significant speedup. Tell me your thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

- The board was upgraded from version 3.0.5 to 3.1.1.

- The system was tuned to make php faster

- A new "cleancut" skin was added, and I'm warmly advising to thoose who are fed up wth dark grey :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the outage tonight. I put a new backup script live (the old backup thing was really crap) and it didnt go as planned.

I had to reboot the server after modifying some system params, but mysql wasn't properly shutdown by the system, causing a nice database coruption...

You know the rest of the story.

All good now.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember we once swapped sections. We got a lot more complaints of people that had to scroll to get to the General. So we switched back.

I think we need a welcome topic where new members can introduce themselves.

Every forum has one of those.

Maybe a topic where members can post their photos? I don't think it's offtopic.