Underrated Artists

Shpongled247

Who are the goa, ok psytrance also, artists who always seem to be left out of top ten lists or best of threads?

I think maybe Toi Doi on the goa side? Doesn't seem to get much mention and often overlooked.

Possibly also Ubar Tmar but maybe coz it just doesn't fit anywhere!?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we even rate stuff? I can't recall ever posting a top 10 list of artists anywhere. Meanwhile, take a look at https://www.google.com/search?q=underrated+site%3Apsynews.org

I'm puzzled by these topics. There are thousands of artists in this scene. Many of the legends moved on to other styles or completely out of music production over a decade ago. What can we do? Repeat the same "yeah, that was good in 1997" discussions every month or the artist becomes "underrated"? We only have a small handful of such discussions in the first place. If "rating" means repeated appearance in ongoing topics, pretty much everyone apart from Etnica and Boris Blenn is underrated. (Or maybe just Etnica?)

I think Toï Doï is actually among, let's say, top 20 of most discussed old school artists here. Releasing a new album and a bunch of free stuff definitely helps. Certain tracks from Technologic still appear regularly in mixes, even though it's not strictly from the most celebrated golden era or classic style. Ubar Tmar's 3CD is among the most actively traded and sought after recent releases here.

Seriously, I have no idea where this rating officially happens. Please point it out to me first. Then we can discuss what's missing. Or if you want to bring attention to someone, post something insightful. Find new curious details. Make a mix. Anything. I find it pointless just to name-drop stuff every month without actual content only to keep artists from being "underrated". It's even worse to expect others to do that for you. A huge bunch of old releases were good and they still are, but absolutely nothing has changed in their status. Is there anything to discuss?

Also, there are only so many slots in a top 10. No matter what you do, >99% of artists will remain underrated in those...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMOCr9x_R58

good post dolmot, i always wondered myself what makes an artist underrated. Where are the official ratings? Toi doi for example is discussed a lot as you rightly pointed out. overrated is easy to point out , but not underrated . Speaking of well established artists anyone that isnt spoken of enough doesnt automatically qualify as underrated objectively speaking since they could be much more popular outside psynews or are we talking psynews specific underrated ?

Don't think Toï doï is underrated, he is always praised around here

Same for Total eclipse...

Power source underrated ? i'd better say overrated :) (Cosmic waves contains awesome tracks but also weak ones).

Agree for Psygone and Sundog.

I'd also add (talking about old school sound):

Nervasystem

Ololiuqui

Gangnia

Battle of the Future Buddhas lol

Why the hell am I not playing the main stages of the bigger festivals for? :D

I was about to mention BOTFB in my previous post, but then i thought your music is not that underrated, it's quite popular (of course in an underground way).

Your music rocks man :) I prefer it melodic and not too industrial/noisy though :P

...and I see top tens all the time - top ten this, top ten that, best and worst album of X and so on. To be honest I'm almost sure topics like those are posted quite regularly. I think there's no need to exclude those themes, it's like having a beer with some friends who like the same stuff but have diverse opinions - some subjects are like boomerangs ;).

My 'underrated artist' vote goes to Darshan.

Do we even rate stuff? I can't recall ever posting a top 10 list of artists anywhere. Meanwhile, take a look at https://www.google.com/search?q=underrated+site%3Apsynews.org

I'm puzzled.. etc.. etc.

Im puzzled too, by your response. Guess you are just sick of these types of threads. Fair enough. :)

I don't know if "we" or even "you" rate stuff, but in general, the population of the world rates things yes... I didn't mean in any official capacity... And you shouldn't take the word so literally..

But certainly some artists are held in higher regard than others, same as some sports players are great yet overlooked or overshadowed.. There they could get a 6th man award though hah..

Planet B.E.N was an utter genius of the era in my opinion and deserves to be ranked alongside Hallucinogen as one of the most psychedelic and influential producers of the 90s.

Also:

Spirallianz

Gangnia

Darshan

And this one single track: