What do you hate most about Full On?

Shpongled247

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Full On. I actually really like it as long as:

-The bass is not too high-pitched, funky or annoying in every other way.

-There are no progressive elements or morning psy in general.

-There are no vocals, duh.

-I don't have to wait 6 mins to listen to a melody.

Just for the record I don't consider anymore Twilight and Full On the same genre.

to be honest, if Talamasca early tracks (Musica divinorum) are full on, then yes they are good full on...

yes, that is an example of good ;D

And this is the definition of s**t applied to full-on, IMO. He simply turned a synthpop classic in the tackiest track ever.

Wrecked Machines - Enjoy the Silence

when i'm listening to that, i'm really enjoying the silence afterwards ^_^

when i'm listening to that, i'm really enjoying the silence afterwards ^_^

:lol:

Dunno whats happened to wrecked machines they were so good when they were making tracks like "take the ups" etc

honestly i dont know what i hate most . when i started to enjoy psychedelic it was due to full on so im not going to bash it just because i have discovered much better music because of it. i wish protoculture were to return to his roots and gave us some of that Refractions magic that he created with his debut album. Unfortunately everything has gone downhill since then.

Other than that i did enjoy some Bizzare contact , alternative control and a couple of other Israeli artist that were making full on around 2004-05 till i realized that there was much better music in the psychedelic genre.

Its not that bad if you ask me unless its done in really bad taste like remixing pop tracks and i say really bad because even that can be pulled off without sounding like WTF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfh_TlhxQnM

:ph34r:

Actually I like good full-on...as all good music. What I really cannot stand are those damn breaks and stupid build-ups that lead nowhere and just interrupt you from doing anything, i.e. having fun.

But give me good full-on and I'm all over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIINKcwOk1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YPuK5czu4

Hyperion, Digicult, Raz, U-Recken...there are some good full-on producers. But of course there are Beat Hackers, Perplex and all that crappy stuff....

+1

Had to go through the entire thread to see what others were talking about, this makes perfect sense !

I like u-recken too :)

I hate that everyone complains about it. If you dont like it, dont listen cos I am quite happy to listen to it

Umm everyone here has said they like Good Full On including me in the original post lol... So we are happy to listen to it! :)

It could have easily been what do you hate about dark, or goa or prog or whatever.

I would not say that this is shameful :)

[space Tribe Track]

no, it's not shameful, but imho not particularly good either. the "climax" at the end gets on my nerves.

but what really is shameful is that he was (/is?) part of ALIEN JESUS.

This is a good fullon track by Talamasca IMO:

[Talamasca Track]

yes, but it's from around 2003. Zodiac came out in 04 and imho is the last good release. everything talamasca up to then has been good, but now... :(

i guess all waiting for another Time Simulation (which is sort of my definition for good fullon) will be in vain.

Its not that bad if you ask me unless its done in really bad taste like remixing pop tracks and i say really bad because even that can be pulled off without sounding like WTF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfh_TlhxQnM

:ph34r:

this one deserves a place in my thread about fullon. it's totally exemplaric for all the shitty tracks we were treated with a few years ago at the peak of cheesy fullon. but i think it's still better (i do have to struggle to put this track in the same sentance as the word better) than the electro-house-minimal-fullon track darkill posted.

now for something more positive (from 2003):

why don't they make sound like that anymore? fullon that is energetic but not forcedly so and has that outer space atmosphere is totally missing today.

That track you just posted there has more in common with today's Serbian prog style than today's full on imho. So maybe that's where it went and there is pleeeeenty of it.. See Nerso, Zyce, Flegma, Zen Mechanics maybe even.

That track you just posted there has more in common with today's Serbian prog style than today's full on imho. So maybe that's where it went and there is pleeeeenty of it.. See Nerso, Zyce, Flegma, Zen Mechanics maybe even.

i love serbian progressive, but it does lack a bit of the energy of the fullon back then. still, for me it's the best thing besides the very rare goa artist to see at parties. but sadly i have noticed some of those artists slowly turning more towards minimal with their newer releases.

Guest D N H

Pure Analog was a very good album, and the stuff from Moon Spirits were good too.

Nowadays Progressive is good only if it is psy-oriented and not lounge-cheesy.

Zenonesque Progressive, from the other hand, is very interesting or even astonishing, but only if it is creative & deep and not plain & flat.

I hate those melodies that don't do anything. They just change note to absolutely no effect but in the synth style of a big euphoric lead; i'd prefer the artist just do something euphoric or uplifting and have done with it rather than trying to hold on to a shred of psychedelia by refusing, even though it's on top of the same Israeli bassline and claps we've heard a thousand times before and are most definetly not psychedelic after they've been repeated for ten years:

Oh and I hate that almost all of it copies, pretty much exactly, the sounds that were done in like 2002/3 by Absolum, Logic Bomb etc, and they did it so much better!

Would you believe that this beautiful, mechanical, clean and crystal clear piece of eery and melodic psychedelic fullon was made in 2002?! :

And I hate, hate, 1200 mics.

hmm.. what I hate about full on? Nothing special, it's kind of the same for all other genres/sub-genres too:

- "me too" sounds. Hate to listen to sound where you can't identify if this is a track of artist A, B, C, or Y as they play exactly the same style, use the same synths, samples and even the cover art designer.. just because A was successful with it.. ending up in super-boring dj-sets that repeat the same sound patterns for hours but actually playing different tracks of various artists..

- "what a surprise... NOT! -.-" sounds. Hate it if I already know what's coming next seconds before it's there. The "mass-production" fullon or proggy tracks mostly fall into this category.. I'm sure you all know it.. the kind of tracks that sound like one creating a 16bar block, copy&pasting it x time, insert a couple of drops in between and modify a filter on the lead synth on every block.. I like music where I don't know in which direction it will develop, rater than music that follows the exactly same scheme on every track

I hate those melodies that don't do anything. They just change note to absolutely no effect but in the synth style of a big euphoric lead; i'd prefer the artist just do something euphoric or uplifting and have done with it rather than trying to hold on to a shred of psychedelia by refusing, even though it's on top of the same Israeli bassline and claps we've heard a thousand times before and are most definetly not psychedelic after they've been repeated for ten years:

Oh and I hate that almost all of it copies, pretty much exactly, the sounds that were done in like 2002/3 by Absolum, Logic Bomb etc, and they did it so much better!

Would you believe that this beautiful, mechanical, clean and crystal clear piece of eery and melodic psychedelic fullon was made in 2002?! :

And I hate, hate, 1200 mics.

the first video.. I hate what happens at 4:10. when a track does that my brain just screams "omg, really!" but yeah, the breaks, stutter step bullshit that plagues psy needs to end. its somehow clubby and commercial. but not psytrance. just think of psy as cyber goa. it too needs to melodies mixed in with that special equation of madness.

Logic Bomb = DOPE! crazy right? in 2002!!! back when artists knew how to sound like ONLY THEMSELVES ;p Something I loved about L. Bomb was their more relaxed full-on approach. it wasn't always slamming. Something I thought Frequency Surfer and Frequency Deluxe did really well with their albums too. ya?

1200 mics - not sure what they have done since their 2003 album which I thought was killer. I wouldn't be surprised if they went downhil. A shame.

Yeah Logic Bomb made some incredible tracks, all about atmosphere and that kind of serious and thoughtful futuristic vibe. Yeah I agree, when it starts becoming about who's got the highest bpm all you get is generic "dancefloor killers" and it's no longer about the substance of the tracks, Logic Bomb was indeed happy to plod his tracks along, letting the beat become the framework for his concepts in music and not becoming the sole focus of the entire album like so many fullon artists post 2004.

Oh man, I could never stand 1200mics, Raja Ram created an album by which a lot of other musical genre's fans judge psytrance, as stupid drug obsessed, cheese loving wannabes, and it was a self fulfilling stereotype because it did so well.

Fullon bassline -> Drug Reference -> Corny main lead . . . and sometimes, electric guitar synthesizers. Eugh.

Well, you can also find a lot of drug references in old-school goa songs so the drug-loving wannabe-image does not come from (bad) full-on alone... ;)

That's true, but an artist name after the amount of drugs Raja Ram took to finish some track, combined with an album where every single song is explicitly titled as simply the name of a drug, and revolves primarily around a sample to do with that, frankly takes the cake.

The odd reference sample is bearable, and I do feel that a lot of oldschool Goa was more subtle in it's use of samples than psytrance is today.

I have to admit that I think I'm kinda biased since I like the first two 1200 Mics albums. But I also see your point... On the other hand you do see a lot of people who are high as fuck at psy parties so the samples do fit from my point of view. Especially because a lot of the tracks are about psychedelics and not stuff like speed or coke. I also don't think that a track like LSD by Hallucinogen is that subtle about drug use. In the end if you don't like the music from 1200 Mics the drug refences obviously doesn't make it any better for you.