Happy reviews

Procyon

As Psynews is one of the most important psy sites on the net, I have a question that bothers me a lot: why is it that all reviews posted here are so positive, so good? Making a comparison, I read two or more books a month, some of them get real negative reviews in newspapers or sites. Just last month I decided to read a mount of poop written by Stephen King, just to check if the ultra-negative reviews matched the work itself. Well, the book deserved to be burned. Critics of the book were more than right.

On the other hand, musically speaking, almost all psy or goa out there are must-haves if you follow dedicated critics' opinions, there are no bad songs or bad albums. Everything is floating and pinky. I think it's unrealistic and frustrating. To me, it's one of the reasons that psy/goa declined in quality since 2000: lack of criticism from inside. I want to believe that most reviewers tend to analyse only what they liked listening to and let the bad music aside, but this is not a good approach: all work released to the public should be reviewed equally. Good music deserves to be praised and recommended. Bad music should be critically analysed, and serious opinions should also be expressed.

Am I the only one who can't see everything pink when listening to psy?

Although I haven't written a review in a while, the reviews I've written have all been reasonably positive. The reason for that is largely because, with four minute samples on Saiko Sounds and often whole tracks available to listen to on SC and YT, I seldom buy albums I dislike. And even on the few occasions I have done, writing reviews takes me a lot of time and I'd much rather spend that time trying to spread the word about a great album that people could have missed than pasting work by someone who put a lot of BS&T into it and that many people other than me will probably enjoy.

Although I haven't written a review in a while, the reviews I've written have all been reasonably positive. The reason for that is largely because, with four minute samples on Saiko Sounds and often whole tracks available to listen to on SC and YT, I seldom buy albums I dislike. And even on the few occasions I have done, writing reviews takes me a lot of time and I'd much rather spend that time trying to spread the word about a great album that people could have missed than pasting work by someone who put a lot of BS&T into it and that many people other than me will probably enjoy.

Well, it is one of the reasons I wondered: people tend to spend time writing about what they like, and feel they are wasting time doing so about things they dislike. What bothers me (a little bit) is that the two major psy sites have good, dedicated reviewers. But they tend to praise almost everything, even albums that are clearly bad. My point is: if you are willing to spend time writing about other people's work constantly, then you have to be aware that you are actually a critic. And as a critic, you have to be honest: tell the bad from the good, and publish both. In a recent review, there's a goa album that makes you want to listen to album right now after you read the whole review, so positively it was rated. When I listened to it, I felt almost all tracks caused me a constant irritation, and I thought it was only me being picky. But then other guys wrote that the album was not that good as reviewed and I gave it a second chance while reading the review track by track. It simply seemed that there were two albums released under the same title. I then took sometime listening to some albums and reading their reviews. What came to my mind is the reason of this thread: psy and goa are the best music around ever, according to their ratings. Well, I am sleepy and out of words. I just wish that just like in the book world, an artist's work was taken as a serious business: it would be good for everybody involved.

Then review yourself and stop complaining what others do. Who wants to spend time doing a long review for an album they don't like? I really don't. Most of my negative critical reviews are replies to already made threads because of this.

And do take into account the factor of "taste". It's just the way it is and way it has been, though I do wish there'd be more reviewers to spread out opinions.

On the other hand, musically speaking, almost all psy or goa out there are must-haves if you follow dedicated critics' opinions, there are no bad songs or bad albums. Everything is floating and pinky. I think it's unrealistic and frustrating. To me, it's one of the reasons that psy/goa declined in quality since 2000: lack of criticism from inside.

I don't actually believe most(95%) artists come to forums to read their album reviews.

Procyon you are right, I am with you.

I am not sure the real reason is that people don't wanna waste their time to write a review about a release they don't like. There might be another reason, because if you look the review sections about albums released before 1999, you can read quite lots of negative reviews, even on really good albums : for example Pleiadians - Family of light.

One of the reason could be that music today got more commercial, and people might have been educated through some forums, that you'd better not write anything if you don't like the albums.

Also, the prodution quality improved a lot these last 10 years, and i believe, people tend to judge more the production quality, than the music itself.

Just like Rotwang said with saiko samples and a stuff I find very difficult to buy a cd that is bad (for my taste).

Back in the internet-less era I used to buy many cds that I had no idea about them. Some of them ended up good, some others ended up bad.

Maybe you're not reading enough reviews. I can only speak for myself, but I can think of several things I've put out there that are negative just recently. So much so that the artist feels the need to respond and question why I would do such a thing. Reviews are opinions and everyone has them.

Actually the more I think about it, the more you should add your two cents. Don't agree with what was written? Say so. Instead of starting a thread, reply to a review. I know as a reviewer I would love for people to comment on what they think about the music or what I reviewed or how I reviewed it. Sometimes it seems like I'm talking to an empty room.

So please reply and tell me what you think. I won't get mad. I don't care if you agree or disagree. I just want the interaction. And maybe if you do it, more people will do it and we can get some traffic in here.

Mdk

But they tend to praise almost everything, even albums that are clearly bad.

This is silly. Even if people are less likely to bother writing negative reviews of albums they don't like than positive reviews of albums they do like, nobody here is writing positive reviews of albums they don't like. If a reviewer praises an album he does so because he likes it, whether or not you consider it "clearly bad". Having people write more negative reviews wouldn't magically make every reviewer's taste coincide with yours.

And as a critic, you have to be honest:

They are being honest.

There is only 54 releases reviewed in 2012. and most of thoose reviews are from T2MU. If you're reading his reviews you'll notice that he always points out what he likes and what he dislikes. I usually don't have a lot of time to do more reviews (one every month or two) but I always choose release that I find pretty much cool to be reviewed and plus I'm doing only Goa trance releases (afterall it's what I listen the most and what I like the most).

Yes, Trance2MoveU is, in my opinion, the unique (?) reviewer who makes negative (sometimes funny) critics (for example the review about Rainbow Static's "Tickles My Bunny Fone").

I think by looking at your signature I have discovered the key to the universe. And it wants me to make a sandwich.

Thank you for your comment, nice to know some people are reading.

And by the way...9 out of 10 mental patients find me hilarious.

1/10 are simply crazy then. :P

Also, the prodution quality improved a lot these last 10 years, and i believe, people tend to judge more the production quality, than the music itself.

I'd agree if we lived somewhere between 2000 and 2004

Obviously bad production will kill track a lot but usually if the production is poor, then is everything else is as well.

@Trance@MoveU: I respect a lot your reviews, do not take this personally. I wrote about reviewers in general, not about this or that person. If you take a look, I have commented on some albums you have reviewed.

This is a forum, I thought a thread was better to talk about it than starting a discussion in one of the reviews.

@Manuser: it's another aspect I thought of too. As some artists are very close to their reviewers - and given that some artists react violently when faced with criticism - I think no one wants to create confusion in this or that forum, and everybody is educated to behave with some displicense and tolerance. Is it good? Yes, of course. But then we are deprived of strong opinions that would certainly cause confusion, but would also help psy/goa move some steps ahead, music-wise.

Too add, I'm inclined to say that psy reviews don't have the history of critical review other forms of entertainment have. Books, movies, and more mainstream music have all had an established history of paid reviewers for some time, and there's a certain critical eye expected from those people. Psy reviewers are pretty much fans taking the time to review an album, right? So they're already inclined to like it.

And that too, nobody is getting paid to do reviews. It is time consuming and unless you really enjoy doing it, there's very little incentive to go about writing something lengthy; especially for stuff you don't like.

So please reply and tell me what you think. I won't get mad. I don't care if you agree or disagree. I just want the interaction. And maybe if you do it, more people will do it and we can get some traffic in here.

I totally agree, it's nice to get a reply when you put time in to something. So far I have only written 1 not to large review but when I see that after 3 weeks or so I don't even have 1 view, it doesn't really motivate me to write more (either positive or negative ones). I know its not really fair coming out of the mouth of someone with just a few posts, but at least a view at a topic couldn't hurt at all. Then the people that write reviews at least know it's being looked at by 1 person!

About criticism: psychedelic music has many types and is huge all together. For instance, I am absolutely not a fan of Infected Mushroom just to name one. But someone ells who likes them, could hate Flegma & Nerso or Motion Drive. So for me to sit down and write a long review about how bad the latest Infected Mushroom album is, is not really a good idea. Same how I couldn't ask my neighbor who is in to Rock, to write a review about psytrance.

and given that some artists react violently when faced with criticism

When they do, they get called out for it.

Too add, I'm inclined to say that psy reviews don't have the history of critical review other forms of entertainment have. Books, movies, and more mainstream music have all had an established history of paid reviewers for some time, and there's a certain critical eye expected from those people. Psy reviewers are pretty much fans taking the time to review an album, right? So they're already inclined to like it.

Books and films are a different kettle of fish altogether, because they're largely single-use media: by the time you know whether you like a film or book, you've made as much use of it as you're ever likely to make, and that's why reviews of books and films are more important. This is different from music which people listen to over and over again. That's not to say there aren't e.g. films that I've watched multiple times, but they're the exception rather than the rule. As for mainstream music, it's true that there are many paid reviewers willing to write scathing reviews of the latest Justin Bieber album, but I just don't believe that those reviews actually inform people's purchases to a significant extent. They surely didn't inform mine back when I was into pop music (I used to read the NME's reviews for the sole purpose of getting indignant at how full of shit that magazine was). People like reading snarky takedowns of things they already hate, and that's the principal reason why people get paid to write that stuff.

So far I have only written 1 not to large review but when I see that after 3 weeks or so I don't even have 1 view

Don't worry, that's just the forum software being crap. Sometimes view counts don't get updated until someone replies to a thread, no matter how many times the thread is viewed.

About criticism: psychedelic music has many types and is huge all together. For instance, I am absolutely not a fan of Infected Mushroom just to name one. But someone ells who likes them, could hate Flegma & Nerso or Motion Drive. So for me to sit down and write a long review about how bad the latest Infected Mushroom album is, is not really a good idea.

Yes, exactly.

(Though Infected Mushroom do IMO provide an example where negative reviews are useful - I loved their first four albums so much that I bought IM the Supervisor without checking out the samples first. But cases like that where an artist drastically changes their style in a way that alienates much of their former fanbase are rare.)

I personally won't go out of my way to review something I do not like. On the other hand if something is tickling my ears the right way, i'll go out of my way to let my opinion be known.

I totally agree, it's nice to get a reply when you put time in to something. So far I have only written 1 not to large review but when I see that after 3 weeks or so I don't even have 1 view, it doesn't really motivate me to write more (either positive or negative ones). I know its not really fair coming out of the mouth of someone with just a few posts, but at least a view at a topic couldn't hurt at all. Then the people that write reviews at least know it's being looked at by 1 person!

About criticism: psychedelic music has many types and is huge all together. For instance, I am absolutely not a fan of Infected Mushroom just to name one. But someone ells who likes them, could hate Flegma & Nerso or Motion Drive. So for me to sit down and write a long review about how bad the latest Infected Mushroom album is, is not really a good idea. Same how I couldn't ask my neighbor who is in to Rock, to write a review about psytrance.

Just like Rotwang said the view count system sometimes don't work.

Plus AFAIK Psynews is the no 1 source for psytrance reviews in the whole internet. So trust me every review is important.

Thanks for the information guys, I didn't know this until now! In this case I will write more reviews soon. Cheers.

I mostly experience the same thing Rotwang mentioned. I generally invest some time into researching what album I want to buy and with the samples available and my experience (this relates to labels but also individual artists) I can mostly buy an album that is exactly to my tastes. If I review at all, it's to share my great experiences with an album I love.

it's even more apparent with the party reviews on a site like goabase. 90% of the parties there are "top! one of the best parties in its category", while it takes a party being advertised as a pure psy party, when they actually play minimal techno 80% of the time for a party to be rated as "average".

i guess one factor in this is the whole "think positive" thing so prevalent in psy culture. if you give a bad review, you'll likely get replies like "if you don't like it when don't go there/don't listen to it, but stop ruining it for everyone by spreading negativity". a review with "the melodies spiral upwards to take you on a cosmic journey" or something like that also is more likely to get a reply with "great review!" than "the main melody sounds more random then well thought out and gets annoying quickly".

still i think that on psynews the main problem is more, that people are too lazy to write reviews for album they don't like or that they don't know bad albums well enough to write a review.

it's even more apparent with the party reviews on a site like goabase. 90% of the parties there are "top! one of the best parties in its category", while it takes a party being advertised as a pure psy party, when they actually play minimal techno 80% of the time for a party to be rated as "average".

i guess one factor in this is the whole "think positive" thing so prevalent in psy culture. if you give a bad review, you'll likely get replies like "if you don't like it when don't go there/don't listen to it, but stop ruining it for everyone by spreading negativity". a review with "the melodies spiral upwards to take you on a cosmic journey" or something like that also is more likely to get a reply with "great review!" than "the main melody sounds more random then well thought out and gets annoying quickly".

still i think that on psynews the main problem is more, that people are too lazy to write reviews for album they don't like or that they don't know bad albums well enough to write a review.

Lazy? Do I really have to repeat the other valid points of not enough incentives to go the extra mile? The rare times more people are willing to go that extra mile is when the artist is extremely known, like Infected Mushroom. There's plenty of bad and boring stuff out there.

Of course being recognized for doing a review is great but for many it's just not enough. I'm not defending people just being passive and all but I can see the reasons as to why. I would love to see more reviews, but not much I can do about that. I do appreciate T2MU's efforts a ton.

Now I do feel a little bit of guilt of not doing something in a while, but I did try to write a few. They're not all that great though.