dark neo-goa

Cybernetika

I was just wondering... is there any "dark" Neo-Goa?

When I listen to most so called Neogoa, it just seems a little too fluffy, too perfect and clean to me... I don't know, its hard to decribe. It's just that most of the NeoGoa-movement seems to revive the highly melodic, bright style that acts like Dimension 5, Astral Projection, Pleiadians, and the likes. Take Filteria, he's a super talented artist but his music is just a little bit too much fluffy to me. It's not that I dislike this music, but it's not really moving me 100% either. What I really miss however is a reminiscence to harder, darker and deeper Goa. I particularly like Darshan, and acts like Tim Schuldt, Cydonia, Toi Doi, X-Dream are artists who still have a special place in my heart. The only new Goa album I've heard that goes in this darker direction is Ka-Sol's Ghost Story (and that one is more on the darkpsy side than the goa side IMO), but I don't know much besides that.

Is there anything I missed? Dark Goa from 2005-2011? Spit it out! :)

Some will say otherwise but this certainly is darker than 95% of neogoa

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61143-va-erta-ale/

Also Javi - Aural Exciter EP is darker too

http://www.ektoplazm.com/2011/javi-the-aural-exciter

Otherwise nothing else comes to my mind, a new Toï Doï EP will be released soon on UAF though. Can't the artists please make more of this developed darker sound Erta Alé has... too many fluff release are making me a little bored.

Oh and there is K.U.R.O.'s new EP that is like fusion of psy/tech/goa http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?/topic/61557-kuro-zombie-family-ep/

Try People Walk Funny from Cronomi Records for something with a more raw, angry feel than most new-school Goa, or Kiriyama's Reach Escape Velocity for something that's halfway between new-school Goa and darkpsy. I've heard people say that E-Mantra's Arcana and another Cronomi VA, Erta Alé are also darker than most neo-Goa, though I've not heard them myself yet.

Didn't we have a topic asking the same question in the recent past? I can't find it and may in fact have imagined it, but if not there were some good answers there.

Thanks for the fast suggestions so far, keep them coming.

I just did a quick youtube check on the Erta Ale compilation and fuck me, GoaMech - Synthesized Not Yet is an incredible track, this comes very close to what I imagined. Very much like UX, love it.

Thanks for the fast suggestions so far, keep them coming.

I just did a quick youtube check on the Erta Ale compilation and fuck me, GoaMech - Synthesized Not Yet is an incredible track, this comes very close to what I imagined. Very much like UX, love it.

Yes, buy it. :P

Also I don't know if there is much to keep coming, I can't recall anything dark past what has been mentioned lol. Though you might want to check Merr0w - Citrus Circus and Merr0w - Pixelized sight on youtube. VA - Freshly Cut Tomato, which houses pixelized sight, also has a darker tone but the last 2 tracks are lighthearted otherwise and it can get psytrancy. VA - Temple Of Chaos is Suntrips darkest compilation yet but it's suntrip so it's still quite light.

Did a quick check on the other stuff:

KURO - Zombie Family: Got it, love it ;)

People Walk Funny: seems like a good compilation, did not yet discover a standout track but will see.

Kiriyama: Now that sounds indeed promising, maybe seems also a bit more Forest Darkpsy than Goa but definitely something to look out for.

E-Mantra: seems a little darker but still not dark enough for me >:(:P

A lot of stuff to further check out :)

Merr0w - Citrus Circus and Merr0w - Pixelized sight.

Those work too :) ... again maybe a bit too much on the bright side, but still closer to what I want than the stuff I've heard for the past years :P

Again have to check further, maybe theres really not much dark material, but few is better than none. :P

So sub-sub-genre? Oh please.

Sorry. For you, the question is:

I was just wondering... is there any "dark" music?

When I listen to most so called music, it just seems a little too fluffy, too perfect and clean to me...

exact requests give you exact answers ;)

You should check out this guy Cybernetika...he's kind of a douche for making me wait for psy polka, but he did a track called Plasmoid that was delightful. :lol:

Also maybe these would work:

Eleusyn- Phantasm EP

Direct Brain Access - Solar Eclipse FREE

Beast303- Controlled EP

Psychowave

Sky Technology

Liquid Jungle

Mdk

Anakoluth's "Vaporizing Glares" has been my ultimate dark goa track for the past few years. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Mainspring-Motion/master/1907

There's also Xenomorph's last album from 2007: http://www.discogs.com/Xenomorph-Demagoguery-Of-The-Obscurants/release/1142548 although I like his compilation tracks much better than any of his albums.

It's interesting that you mentioned D5, I actually find their music quite dark and sinister in places (Iron Sun, Ganymede, Beetlesnuff, and of course Temple Of Chaos) but the neo goa I've heard doesn't have that kind of atmosphere, even the stuff on Cronomi.

I think the dark side of early Goa that you mentioned was a reflect of the politic culture which those artists, and us, were surrounded by.

The Neogoa artists are a fruit of videogame culture generation, their backgrounds are much lighter than what we lived in 1980/1990,

that's why Neogoa sounds so light, so sweet.

I suggest Alienapia, it's darker than the rest, but even so it's not emotional.

I never really thought about this but the fact is, those who produce dark make.. well.. darkpsy or just psytrance. I mean we only saw dark goatrance until the other genres rose like SA, Full-on, darkpsy. Maybe those who want to make dark music just don't like to make Goa melodies and a bassline that really isn't in the forefront of things? It certainly seems to be easier to let out that darker and angry tone through other than goa means.

Though with goa I find it far more powerful, as it's not just very hectic noise(figuratively speaking) but the arrangement would flow a lot and not sound so "random", if you will.

I really don't know the technical details but how much harder is it to make darker themed goa as opposed to bright sunshine goa?

ps. I think this is a sweet dark goa track that reminds me a bit of your style. That sweeping electric mist, oh yes.

Say Cybernetika, why don't you make us some dark new goa? Judging from the scythe of orion you seem very much capable of doing that :wub:

You should check out this guy Cybernetika...he's kind of a douche for making me wait for psy polka, but he did a track called Plasmoid that was delightful. :lol:

I'm with you, I'm gonna ignore that guy until he finally releases his psy polka. :mad:

I never really thought about this but the fact is, those who produce dark make.. well.. darkpsy or just psytrance. I mean we only saw dark goatrance until the other genres rose like SA, Full-on, darkpsy. Maybe those who want to make dark music just don't like to make Goa melodies and a bassline that really isn't in the forefront of things? It certainly seems to be easier to let out that darker and angry tone through other than goa means.

Though with goa I find it far more powerful, as it's not just very hectic noise(figuratively speaking) but the arrangement would flow a lot and not sound so "random", if you will.

I really don't know the technical details but how much harder is it to make darker themed goa as opposed to bright sunshine goa?

I don't think it is any harder to make dark Goa than lighter Goa. You are probably right that a lot has moved to DarkPsy, it is more extreme and maybe can get a little more energetic on the dance floor. Still, what I'm always concerned about is atmosphere, in my opinion a track needs to create a certain atmosphere, tell a story, convey an emotion and have memorable elements (usually some sort of melody), and thats where Dark Goa still shines IMO.

ps. I think this is a sweet dark goa track that reminds me a bit of your style. That sweeping electric mist, oh yes.

*clip*

dude, that one gets the jackpot, amazing track!

Say Cybernetika, why don't you make us some dark new goa? Judging from the scythe of orion you seem very much capable of doing that :wub:

Well thank you, but I'd like to see some likeminded artists having a similar idea of how "the perfect style of Goa/Psy" is supposed to sound.

New compilation ''SPACE OF POWER - The Legend About Great Universal Existence'' from newborn ''Global Sect Music'' will feature some darker moments. Check out samples, sounds promissing.

http://soundcloud.com/global-sect-music/sets/va-space-of-power-the-legend/

Anyway, in my opinion these days it's really hard to find projects/releases who succesfully combine goa trance elements and darkpsy. So hopefully artists and labels will recognize lack of this great combination on the scene and devote more attention to it.

Speaking from my side, well last two releases (Psychowave & Javi) are much more different than usual melodic stuff, so yeah, basiclly they're touching dark side of goa trance aswell. Probably the best showacase of this mix will be a new Arronax album and some moments on Dimensional Gateway 2.

New compilation ''SPACE OF POWER - The Legend About Great Universal Existence'' from newborn ''Global Sect Music'' will feature some darker moments. Check out samples, sounds promissing.

http://soundcloud.com/global-sect-music/sets/va-space-of-power-the-legend/

Anyway, in my opinion these days it's really hard to find projects/releases who succesfully combine goa trance elements and darkpsy. So hopefully artists and labels will recognize lack of this great combination on the scene and devote more attention to it.

Speaking from my side, well last two releases (Psychowave & Javi) are much more different than usual melodic stuff, so yeah, basiclly they're touching dark side of goa trance aswell. Probably the best showacase of this mix will be a new Arronax album and some moments on Dimensional Gateway 2.

Thanks for the tip! Asirion - Morning Venus is EPIC, I am listening to that 2 minute sample over and over again. Just for this one I must have this compilation :wub:

btw. you got mail :ph34r:

Thanks for the tip! Asirion - Morning Venus is EPIC, I am listening to that 2 minute sample over and over again. Just for this one I must have this compilation :wub:

btw. you got mail :ph34r:

Yeah, that one is really nice.

I know about email, still catching all the details :D:wub:will contact you in next few days

well, my point, totally "my point" about this is: look at those tracks, they are Goa Trance, rather non melodic, spooky, dark, whatever you like to call it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLKvNh2T4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03gv2jppRc

and for me there is a certain connection between this style and recently called "zenonesque" music, i.e. Tetrameth, Shadow Fx, Grouch, Merkaba, also Sensient,

Cujorius One, HypoGeo, Minimal Criminal, Reactant, Radioactive.Cake, Kained & Able, Zartrox, Onionbrain, Bufo, etc...

actually i never understood why only hyper melodic trance is called "New School Goa", and other styles are called Progressive, Tech Trance, Dark, Suomi, etc.

so, my recommendation is: check out the artists i mentioned above. some sound dark indeed, others sound more organic and funky. all are non melodic in comparison to New School Goa, and all these artists are very talented for sure. maybe you like some of their music.

Kiriyama: Now that sounds indeed promising, maybe seems also a bit more Forest Darkpsy than Goa but definitely something to look out for.

The more I listen to this one the more "goa" it gets... and better ;) definitely a grower!

you should also try Krussedull - Alberts Journey epic track, especially the last part is fitting your request, but also with good dose of forest.

And of course Artha ;) e.g.

and there is Trold e.g.
and check out VA - Imaginarity e.g.

and then there is InnerSelf who released an EP Revenge Of The Sun last year I think