Site questions / Requests

NEMO.BOFH

Full support to mars and psynews staff, that is a sage and understandable decision from many point of views.

I'm only reading this website for just over a year now, but i can say that i'm very grateful to the psynews team for what they have done/are doing/will do.

It might be sad that this pathetic low-life of a "hacker" virtually got what he wanted, but there are a few causes that aren't worth fighting - especially on the internet.

It's not like mars or any mod/admin are paid to do anything, no one can expect them to spend so much time and energy in a fight that could end up in a very bad way for this whole community (read: no psynews at all).

Anyway.. thanks again mars to have spent your whole weekend getting the site back up (hope the family isn't too mad about it!), it is sincerly much appreciated.

Respect :)

There are alternatives :D

you mean there WERE ... at the time there are none that I know of...

but nevermind, my life seems to be changing now anyway ... actually the timing is good

well, I'll keep coming back here, to get news and reviews ... and if anybody really would give anything to talk to me then there's PM...

so long

I'd just like to say that I'm happy Psynews is back online. This forum is mostly responsible for me getting into goa. A few years ago, I had a very limited range of experience with goa and psytrance, and I found Psynews while searching for info on some artist names someone had given me for goa. Every once in a while I get in a mood of discovery, and it's great because I can just pop into one of those "What is your favorite..." threads in General, and find dozens of names that I can then go look up. Since I haven't been into psytrance that long, there's still tons of names a lot of you are familiar with that I have yet to discover.

This has been a heartwarming tale of music discovery brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Veracohr. :drama:

The avatar problem is back again. I can't put up any kind of avatar (its below 50k size and its 128x128).

Did you try again several times? Had a little problem and tried twice and it worked.

Did you try again several times? Had a little problem and tried twice and it worked.

Trying..

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

The upload failed. Please contact a member of staff to help rectify the problem

The upload failed. Please contact a member of staff to help rectify the problem

It's done that to me twice. Both times I hit the back button on my browser and pressed the "update avatar" button again, and it worked.

@RTP & Needle Ninja:

This is bullshit, it may be a visitor login hacked from this visitors' computer, but in no way will it help providing ROOT access to the shell of the machine. This is completely another level.

@ RAH, Late, FTP, buzzman and Malevol3nt:

1) I didn't especially want the OffTopic closed. Please reread my statement 2 pages above.

2) I don't agree (completely), closing the OffTopic is not what the hackers wanted. They just wanted a sarcastic revenge for some deserved frustration. It's a compulsive reaction from a probable young nerd or psychotic person who believes he's above everyone as he has the knowledge put run down a Debian server. Or maybe he wanted this to happen, in the sense that he knew that yet another hack attempt would get me very pissed off. So now everyone is punished because of them. It's like at school right? Like your teacher does when one pupil triggers the fire alarm. Aren't we more adults than that? Ok, bring the guy to me, I'll break his both legs, and then I'll agree to reopen the OffTopic. Deal? Else I've been running this place since 2000, I have enough experience to know that the "he knew that we knew that he knew that they knew that it would happend like that if he did that" is just RETHORIC. I deal with rethoric everyday at work and it NEVER brings anything good. I prefer REALISM!

3) I have no evidence of anything, I agree. BUT I know that when troubles happened, it was in the OffTopic, and when bans happened, it was in the OffTopic. So would there be a grudge, it would come from there. More to come in 4)

4) I have read your comments that it's going to destroy a part of the community, etc, and I AGREE! But you are really short of hindsight imo. You all present the OffTopic like a place full of responsible people who were discussing -sometimes- about some delicate subjects, and that it triggered -rarely- some tensions, but all the rest was just Walt Disney stories. Come on, back to reality! There have always been in the OffTopic, people criticizing everything, everytime, just for the sake of criticizing, and blaming everyone afterwards that their freedom of speech is not respected, etc. There have been people hiding behind their keyboards and looking for the slightest opportunity to over-analyze sentences and issue comments of suspicion degenrating into huge fights. There have been people that just posted a simple smiley or an useless comment in every thread. Ah it's not that easy, across the internet, you no longer see the same people as at work or at school, who have been more or less "formatted" the same as you, who are of the same age, with the approx the same social status, etc. It's much closer to a jungle of words. And many people are not wise enough to get some hindsight before posting some angry comment. Not even psynews moderators, not even me. But some keep on pushing till they are "right", till they have the last word, no matter what. And that's what happened here.

5) I am sorry, but as someone who did not paticipate in the OffTopic, I saw it a a place with 80% of unfirendliness and unuseful content. And its unsure atmosphere didn't attract me a single bit. Should I put the OffTopic back online, it would not have given anyone any lesson, it would continue just as before. Even with just the cultural/tech zones, they would be polluted immediately. I could bet 10000EUR on it right away!

It won't change unless we do like with every forum place:

a ) put up lots of superspecialized subforums (however psynews.org must stay mainly about music imo)

or

b ) assign galore very motivated moderators (and it came always so personal and tiresome here that it's always been a challenge to find mods active more than 6 months)

6) Beyond all that, my aim is to be freed from hack attempts -- That is be freed from people potentially having a grudge against psynews -- That is reducing the gap between people -- That is focusssing on the commont attraction point -- That is restrict to psychedelic trance.

@Maelvol3nt only:

If it continues, I'll make sure Suntrip gets through the problems in priority.

Sorry dude, didn't read your explanation... I understand :( But i hope you figure it all out, sorry to hear about Suntrip rec. ! And what about a new off-topic on a different server like 48hrs pie? I really like some of the people in here, would be sad if we didn't have a place to talk about other stuff than psytrance! Caus that was one of the things i like about this place, here are people different from what i know in real life, people you can learn from, people who opens your mind to new things... Of coursae there was alot of spam and other things, but much of that was humor and funny reads.

I have an avatar problem too.

Whatever image I'm trying to upload I get this message The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Even with very small images.

Hi

Yes there is a problem with Avatars, I'll fix it tonight.

And there must be some database tuning issues, because the site was really slow one hour ago.

Yeah, about 2 hours ago I couldn't get to Psynews or Suntrip. I feared another attack. :angry:

I am very happy to see it is back online though. :clapping:

Hi

Yes there is a problem with Avatars, I'll fix it tonight.

And there must be some database tuning issues, because the site was really slow one hour ago.

Or a PHP setting. :) I checked the board settings, and they are like they always were. Except for Attachment settings which I can not find. But it should not have anything to do with it in the end.

Strange error... ill google around some more :D

Oh its sad off topic is gone, for ever. I do consider that time can heal everything and thanks to it, things can lost its relevance and this anger and nonsense won't matter anymore. Time will prove what we did today is right or wrong, because we never know. What Im worried is that the world war 3 can triger upon us, alien may visit the earth and whatelse and we wont be allowed to discuss

In the long run, maybe this will cause negative effect or positive. Im willing to bet on the negative for some main reasons:

- I truly believe, that whoever hacked the server and psynews is not Offtopic related. Hardly is someone acting all against what psynews stands for. Even if it is an member/ex-member attack it is still not off topic related. You see, the only people we can think of doing that ( that good ol greek gang) is more "psytrance" people related and they are all twisted and would do for much more than what happened in that section. In fact, the whole section was never about them

- The off topic, in general, had a much wider positive "vibe" than a negative one. It was in fact, the reason a lot of us registred or continued to log in. And during a period of time it was really one special corner of the internet. It was incredibly funny, creative, weird, psychedic and truly unique. Im talking about the post-bruce era. Right after registration was set and required to post. There was one freaking good small community here such as it was during the pre-bruce era. There were never really a lot nasty fights, and most of them was evolved around religium and politics. There were some ocasional sports, taste of sperm, music, and other trivial matters of discussion, but in the end is what made this site an uinique place

Well see you around then, hopefully, I willl still meet some of you guys here, there are still some things I need to do :)

Or a PHP setting. :) I checked the board settings, and they are like they always were. Except for Attachment settings which I can not find. But it should not have anything to do with it in the end.

Strange error... ill google around some more :D

chmod stuff, Nemo.

It should be fixed now.

Thanks for your patience.

Oh and I saw the site was super slow today, I increased the databases caches and all.

mars, im sorry to hear about the problems the off topic section created and i can fully understand why you chose to take it off.

the off topic was the only reason i visited this site and i guess this is the end after all this years :rolleyes:

this is life i guess :lol:

so anyways, goodbye to all of my off topic friends! i will miss some of you and then i guess ill forget you :posford:

here is what left from the off topic, the gaybook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24326691928

and im the creator if you miss and cant forget me!!!!!11

so thank you for everything off topic, you had a real influence on my life and i hope you'll come back to life someday!!

the end

I'm still mostly a new jack here. But uh, I don't see why people are leaving unless they have absolutely nothing to contribute or say about psytrance (and related genres)? I guess that's understandable. I mean, it's not like we lost a brother or something... or is it? o.ô