exotic

what do you dig ?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. the content is as follows

• bassline
    • melody
    • both
    • duh??

When i started out listening to psytrance i used to dig the bassline more than the melodious content in the music but gradually i realised that its the melody in the track which gives it the structure not to say the bassline aint important.

Whats your pick?

I've voted for bassline, no matter how good will be the melody, I can't hook up with the track unless there is a good bassline! and I'm not talking about shitty fullon/dark bassline!

I quite enjoy complex basslines when there is no melody at all and only some sfx along with the basslines

I voted duh??

Since for me its really difficult to say if one element of a one complex structure is more important than another element of another complex structure... it all depends on the context and the artists skills... some make melodies that bends and twists your mind while others does the same with complex power full bass lines or a combination of both.... or it could be something totally different that puts u on or off... :blink:

I voted both, if a track has both, its a stunning track, if a track has one good and one bad... i cant be bothered. If the bassline is OK and the melody SUPER its also nice. A bassline can REALLY destroy a track for me :(

For me it's the the melodies all the way! I do notice if a track has an especially nice bassline but what I love about goa/psy (or music in general) are the melody layers. Maybe it's because I come from the trance side of music and what moves me most with trance too are the melodies. I'm a sucker for them! :)

For me it's the the melodies all the way! I do notice if a track has an especially nice bassline but what I love about goa/psy (or music in general) are the melody layers. Maybe it's because I come from the trance side of music and what moves me most with trance too are the melodies. I'm a sucker for them! :)

Same here. Remember the long-winded discussion/argument with EP about this very subject? He was adamant basslines were what made psy so appealing and couldn't accept that some people preferred the melodies.

Same here. Remember the long-winded discussion/argument with EP about this very subject? He was adamant basslines were what made psy so appealing and couldn't accept that some people preferred the melodies.

I only vaguely remember to be honest, there were far worse discussions I had with him, probably per PM though... ;)

Both. I fully agree with nemo's statement...

But there is also so much more to the music than bassline and melody : effects, samples, harmonies, intros and outros, everything is inlcuded. :D

But there is also so much more to the music than bassline and melody : effects, samples, harmonies, intros and outros, everything is inlcuded. :D

Exactly... thats why I would never narrow my liking of music down to either melodies or bass lines.... but off course a melody or bass line can ruin a track for me if I really don't like them, but its still not same that a bass line or melody makes me like a track... that is the track as a whole, with all its elements!

both, with a bit of ephasis on the melody

melody is the part in trance I like the most, but i can't listen to a song which has a bassline I dont like Or even worse, which has a bassline that's too simple (or too shitty)

like i've said, the melody has driven me into trance, but the bass is keeping me there. I also love all sorts of drums, or songs which contain different kinds of them :P

I love melody....If music gets too chunky and bass-ie i get bored and have to find something else to do.....as Baraka found out once...oops! :ph34r:

I voted duh?? becasue I didn't know what to vote for!

I love the beat the most but everything is important & it 'S the combination of everything that makes a track!

i agree with you.

but, what actually does 'duh' stand for?

People use it for different things but it is the sound of a dunce (very low intelligence person) when trying to think but can't understand duuuuuhhhhhhh..... people now say it sarcastically to show that what someone has just said is stupi/obvious

eg

A. You know radi likes hallucinogen

B. Well Duh!!

edit: I used it to indicate that I was a dunce because I couldn't choose

Well obviously there's much more to a track than just bassline and melody : fx's , harmonies, outro intro etc but the key components are bassline and melody right ? ;)

What i was asking is what makes it or breaks it for you i.e the bassline or the melody .. maybe i didnt make it too clear in my first post but now you know :)

Sometimes I dig the bassline more and sometimes the melody. It depends. When I listen to Matenda - Bonaca I dig the bassline, when I listen to S-Range - On A Mission I dig the melody. Overall I might say I'm a bit more of a sucker for basslines though. But a track consists of far more than that - samples and effects and all that. And there are tracks that basically have neither a realy good melody nor a really good bassline (IMO) and I'm enjoying them more than anything else - best example is Noma - Soon :)

So I voted both.

But it still takes more than one or both of those elements to make a good track.

duh... composition! its how the melody and bassline and other stuff all fit together...

if you take a great bassline and shit melody it makes a shitty track...

if you take a great melody and a shit bassline it makes it crap...

besides, why can't the melody BE carried AS the bassline anyways?

duh... composition! its how the melody and bassline and other stuff all fit together...

if you take a great bassline and shit melody it makes a shitty track...

if you take a great melody and a shit bassline it makes it crap...

besides, why can't the melody BE carried AS the bassline anyways?

I agree on that! It would be the same if I liked a woman because of their long legs, big breasts or both... There are more to than that... :P

The best IMO is when the bass and melody join together to make a single coherent sound.

If the bass of a tune isn't well made, and the melody is, it sounds unfinished.

But a melody is not a necessity, plenty of trance out there is more like, IMO, pure psychedelic noises to dance to, not necessarily musical. Like Cosmo, his stuff is good, and VERY psychedelic (IMO!!), but no melodies. Thats not the point of Cosmo-type stuff (as so many seem to misunderstand). The point of that, is psychedelic dance music. All that requires is a clean sound, crazy noises, and percussion. "Look elsewhere for melodies! We're tripping here!" ;) You get what I mean.

But, any producer worth their releases can make a clean bass almost as an afterthought. They don't need to spend time thinking about it too much. Then they can focus on making the melody perfect! Or making the strange noises bouncing everywhere perfect.

what a worthy thread?

melody, bassline or BOTH perhaps? :rolleyes:

I haven't even read any of the replies but for the love of my psychic skills lemme make a guess:

"bassline won't make a track on it's own. neither does melody. you need BOTH to make a good track"

"bassline won't make a track on it's own. neither does melody. you need BOTH to make a good track"

"+1!"

"+1!"

"make that two.

you definitely need BOTH for the job."

"I disagree, only the melody is really important. Even with bad bassline a good melody makes a track!"

"I disagree, only the melody is really important. Even with bad bassline a good melody makes a track!"

"yeah but wouldn't it be even better if BOTH of em were brilliant?"