Love At First Sight

rino

Now, what I'd like here are some tracks that actually got you into trance, tunes that immediately remind you of that first time! They by no means have to be psy or goa, and who cares if they even sound corny or stupid in your ears today. Back in the day they were the cream of the crop!!!

WARNING: This is NOT a "best of" list, a greatest goa/psy track ever, the track that makes you cry time every time you play it! Ah, I guess you got the point by now... You know, if you were to make your own Retrodelic Vibes compilation and stuff ;)

Here I go:

COMMANDER TOM- Am are eye? the ultimate hard trance classic. Period. Not negotiable!

MEMBERS OF MAYDAY- Sonic empire if y'all weren't playing this day and night around 10 years ago, you'll have a tough time convincing me you had any idea of what electronic music was!!! :lol:

CJ BOLLAND- The prophet the stand out track from his "Analogue Theatre" album. Powerful and hard beyond words. One of Zagreb's favorite anthems on any old school party!

MAN WITH NO NAME- Teleport does it get more cliched than this? No. But for those who remember, wasn't it the greatest feeling ever to listen to Martin Freeland when you were a kid? I think wrote everything I could about him under the 1998 album review section, and my only doubt is was it more the music video or the track itself that made me like this guy that much? All I gotta say is: I never had many posters in my room as a kid, but if I was given a choice back in the day, I would have picked to have Freelander's poster hanging on my wall. With the Prodigy, obviously!

SOLAR QUEST- Acid air raid & NEW ORDER - Confusion (The Pump Panel reconstruction) together, these two are without a single second of doubt the greatest two acid tracks I have ever come across: Acid Air Raid with its massive, unrelenting 303 onslaught, and The Pump Panel's take on Confusion with its amazing and never ending build up. Just keeps on rising, rising, rising and rising.... aaaaaaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!

ASTRAL PROJECTION- People can fly I guess this one is more or less self explanatory... No need to waste time on saying why here, 'cause this is the definition of timelessness... and when Duchovny's voice comes in...

...and a very special mention would go to Laurent Garnier, who throughout his long lasting career covered absolutely each and every aspect of electronic music- twice! A walking, talking and breathing encyclopedia of electronic music, club scene and the party scene. Without him, I'd still be playing with my Matchbox cars :lol: ! Too many of his tracks to list here, but my recommendations would be: "Early Works" (1998) and the brilliant "Unreasonable Behaviour" (2000) albums.

Genetic - Trancemission My first Psy track. When the melody first came in I'm sure my heart skipped a beat :wub:

Also love MWNN - Teleport similar to Genetic pants creaming goodness

The Infinity Project - Feeling Weird Similar to the above ones, not as good but stands out in the memory.

Phreaky - Over the Moon When the melody shifts sideways towards the end I was in heaven. Still am when I here it.

Hallucinigen - Shamanix Samre reason as Phreaky

Eat Static - Fudge Played when I fist saw them live :o:wub:

My early psy discoveries were huge for me, because I'd been seeking a sound like that but didn't know exactly how to find it. The first hint that I was close was Empirion's Advanced Technology. I remember totally falling in love with that stuff, and at the time I had a girlfriend who let me drive her cherry red sports car, so I would go all over, cranking Empirion with the windows open just enough so people could hear. I felt cool, you know.

The next one was Solar Plexus' album, Images from the Fifth Dimension (or something like that), with the big "Goa Trance" sticker (which, if I recall, was actually printed on the cover). I felt like I'd finally arrived. I remember one very cold, dark, snowy night on the El train in downtown Chicago with one particular Solar Plexus track in my headphones, and I played it over and over - totally romantic memory. I remember listening to this, Goa Head 7 and Juno Reactor's Bible of Dreams on my Discman in public and how the music made me feel somehow tougher and more confident.* I also remember listening at home really loud in headphones and seeing closed-eye visuals, which I thought was wicked cool.

Then came Colorbox's Train to Chroma City and Pleiadians' IFO, and I was completely hooked.

*I've said it before, but I believe in the idea that people's music is their "soldier", their way of confronting the society around them, a primitive way of saying, "Hey, this is me, check me out." It's really no wonder why people almost always have the windows in their cars down when they crank their tunes. This winter I've seen it a million times. Only the people jammin' their tunes have their windows open.

Jaia- Drum Explorer to be exact....

I was doing a radio show at college, playing trance (global underground sasha & digweed style) ....my friend who did the show with me went to Prague during Autumn break and returned with this cd:

Posted Image

Tracklisting...

1 Mindfield Space (7:09)

2 Darshan Energy Trace (7:53)

3 Somaton Melodic Cheese (7:15)

4 Jaïa Drum Explorer (8:51)Featuring - Gill

5 Hunab Ku Corridors Of Chaos (6:52)

6 Anamist Chemical Drummer (8:57)

7 Analog Pussy Flow Control (9:55)

8 Chi-A.D. Spirit (9:29)

9 Asura De Profundis (7:03)

which we totally obsessed over from the moment we heard it.

PRODIGY - THE CLAUSTROPHOBIC STING - When I've heard it in 1995, it was a little before I've heard first psychedelic trance, and it blew me away on the instant. I could say that this track also belongs to psychedelic trance origins, even though Prodigy aren't trance act at all, this track alone represents the landmark of progression inside the techno genre. Not to mention the quality and arrangements of the track, completely insane !

MEMBERS OF MAYDAY - SONIC EMPIRE - I agree with you on this one, it is THE ULTIMATE CLASSIC, especially with the clip which is so good... And even though the track is rather simplistic it has such strong feel, and sonic power that makes you feel ecstatic.

SOLAR QUEST - ACID AIR RAID - The Definition of Acid Trance ! Even today this piece sounds incredible... pumping acid drenched composition...

AGE OF LOVE - AGE OF LOVE - Another gargantuan classic ! Remember this guys back in 93-4 and how monumental it sounded.

LSG - NETHERWORLD - Do I need to say anything about this one ? BRILLIANCE ! Love at first listen for sure.

TOTAL ECLIPSE - WAITING FOR A NEW LIFE - One of the first goa trance tracks I've heard and since the first listen, it is still one of my favourites...

MAN WITH NO NAME - TELEPORT - I don't need to repeat what everyone else said. Mesmerising stuff.

ASTRAL PROJECTION - KABALAH - The very first Astral Projection track I've heard and to this day remains one of the finest.

BLUE PLANET COPORATION - ANTIDOTE - The most mystic and enchanting track of that period. It can't get better than this.

ELECTRIC UNIVERSE - ELECTRONIC PULSATION - Also, in 1995, I couldn't believe my ears where music was progressing at the time.

Westbam - Wizards Of The Sonic Ravetracks from Westbam, U96, Marusha and similar artists were my first encounter with electronical music (at least if you don't count synthesizer stuff from Jean-Michel Jarre and similar artists and new wave stuff). This is imho Westbam's best track, it was years later when I found out the melody is taken from a Sonic game from the Mega Drive (I even made a thread about it here...).

Yahel - For The People A real dancefloor killer, the synthline is still giving me the chills when I hear it. I had only started to buy CDs and the Waves Of Sound album was one of my first buys (back then buying Goa Cds was somethign mystical since I got told they are so rare it's nearly impossible to find them. Well, that was bullshit obviously) and I was more than pleased that there were several songs on it that I've heard at parties and loved at the first sight (Last Man In The Universe, Waves Of Sound...).

Psysex - Skywalker Remix I still remember when I first heard that tune: at an outdoor party in Mesocco in the remains of an old castle. Beautiful sunshine, people dancing, me being high on shrooms and Es... This was one of the first songs I just wanted to have, some weeks later I've hard it again at a party, found out it was by psysex and then I sent am email to the Hommega label owner Eyal Yankovich to ask him about the song since nobody I know could tell me the exact name. He even replied to my email and soon enough I was able to buy another CD.

Infected Mushroom - Dracul Heard the track at the same party I've heard the Psysex track again (see above), this time people were immediately able to tell me by who it was. Another album to buy... I especially like the d monk-like singing and the medieval feeling of the whole track.

Xerox - In My Brain Was at an indoor party, Eyal Yankovich playing one killer track after the other but this one moved me the most (well, besides the one that comes next... :P ). The track would have normally been a bit too monotone for me but the vocals were sending me over the edge.

Infected Mushroom - Symphonatix Another track played by Eyal Yankovich, the best IM track ever maybe, killer synthline it has. You can imagine my astonishment when I found the track on vinyl some weeks later at the local psyshop. Still have it and will never sell it...

As you can see I started to go to parties around 2000/2001 so even when I discovered amazing old-school stuff like Hallucinogen, GNOTR and so on later, the tracks I've heard at the parties where the ones that blew me away the most.

I sorta "studied" psy by myself.

After this one time at my friend's house, I was blitzed outta my mind and i went into my friend's bedroom which was locked before that. They let me in and they were dancing, arms arounch each other's shoulders, a garbage can as an ashtray in the middle and a joint or two going around.

Ill never forget the words i heard that night. They changed my love of music forever.

It was Astral Projection - Mahadeva (99 version).

Right after that came my "i download everything that's somewhat trance and try it out" period, kinda sucked.

So really it comes down to Mahadeva to me, and then the rest comes but that's when i was already into psy.

Before that i guess i was scattered around, musically.

Hallucinogen - Angelic Particles (the first psy tune i heard..)

Astral Projection - Power Gen (i searched the artist and trackname for this track for 3 years, until got to know, it's AP)

Etnica - Starship 101 (heard first in one Nik Leman (303 rec.) mix.. and it was just massive)

Pleiadians - Pleiadians (nik leman mix)

Transwave - Rezwalker (nik leman mix)

Blue Planet Corporation - Antidote (Pleiadians Remix)

The Deviant - Mururoa My Love (just can't get enough of this track)

Hallucinogen - LSD (first psy vinyl my friend bought (3 versions of lsd on it, very good))

Hallucinogen - Space Pussy (Destination Goa 2.. the whole album is great, but this track shaked my world..)

Rainbow Spirit feat. Dj Sangeet - Sirius Shuttle (heared it first in a mix, that one guy played in radio in '96.. but the mix itself was live from Anjuna '95, still have it on tape)

ofcourse, there are many-many more.. back to these days i probably loved every new track i heared.. mostly from radio at the beginning, then already cd's came to shop, then at parties.. and i'm still listening to older stuff more than new..

but some names more to mention:

Darshan - Mind Merge

Kode IV - Near to the Divine

Man With No Name - Low Commotion (Goa Inside 1 is an excellent comp.)

Slinky Wizard - Supernatural

Technossomy - Pyramid

Juno Reactor - Feel The Universe

Planet B.E.N - Questionmark

Green Nuns of the Revolution - COR!

COMMANDER TOM- Am are eye?

MEMBERS OF MAYDAY- Sonic empire

CJ BOLLAND- The prophet

Sometimes I think I am the only one :) I have played The Prophet to start a set... still have these on vinyl in fact, from way back when.

I still recall a few of the first Goa trance songs I knew by name. I downloaded them from a web site that offered samples of compilations and album. I have several written down somewhere, but it was tracks like Deviant Electronics - Catharsis, Hallucinogen - Space Pussy, and some Astral Projection and Man With No Name. I was hooked, for good!

This thread is so much fun I just have to come up with some more tracks! :)

Tiesto - Lethal Industry Like so many others I was into trance before I knew psy (but unless most of the others I still love my trance and continue to buy trance records too) and also went to trance parties before I went to goa festivals. A track that really moved it when I heard it first is Lethal Industry. I went to a small and rather underground party and heard this song, even bought a CD-R with a DJ mix from one of the DJs playing there and found the tune again. The melody is just awesome, even slightly psychedelic imho. A bit later I found out the name of the track, now the vinly is mine.

Time Lock - Inner Brigth I guess it's not only about old tracks but also about new stuff you've fallen in love with at the first sight. This track is for sure the track of the year 2006 for me. Heard it first at the Geometrix party in the live set of Time Lock while flying away on acid. The track itself would be mediocre but the vocals are just too good to be true. Again it took me several months to find out what the track is and buy it but thanks to a DJ who played the track I was able to find it.

Sesto Sento - People Heard the trac,k at the same party as the Inner Bright song. As I've said I was high on acid and all the music sounded just awesome. The melody and especially the vocals of this track reminded me of the Danger Mouse song (from the cartoon, don't know if anybody knows it, it's rather old) and thanks to a trade I also own it now. Funny thing the music (not only this track but also the other stuff) sounded way different on the acid than it does now. The whole Time Lock set didn't sound like the stuff on their CD at all. Even when my ex who was with me at the party recognised a lot of stuff on the album. Kinda funny... :P

Edit: just read the first post again and the thread is actually only about stuff that got you into trance. Well, let the post stay here anyway. :ph34r:

God I can remember finding this song on my HDD I had no idea were it came from at all.

I played it; an I was taken into this world. I can remember hearing these evolving layers and the thumping beat I had no idea what this song was, I kept it on repeat for a good 2 hours listen to every bit of the song an finding new things in it.

I kept turning up the sound on my speakers louder and louder I had this strange feeling in my gut, a feeling where I couldn't sit down my body was humming with energy...I started searching the internet for this song to see if I could find out who played it. But nothing! I couldn't find a single thing.

I didn't even know what style of music it was then I thought it was some kind of new Techno, but still I couldn't find anything that compared it to that song.

A couple of weeks later I was looking for something on Google and I must of clicked on a previous search (which was this song I was trying to find out more on) and this music site came up it had a pretty shabby psychedelic background and menu an it was there!

I was over the moon I looked to see what type of style it was, an it said Goa Trance I was like oh my god I finally found out what it is so I saved the site and left it there; (I always do that, when I find something really good I save it so I can look at it later which 9outof10 I don't') after a few months of hammering the song I forgot about it & the website I saved.

One Evening while looking at some fire poi videos, I downloaded this particular one that had a song with these floating melodies, complex layers again I was taken into space I got the giddy/energy feeling again once the video ended the credits said the song name and searched it up and a found site talking about them after reading it, I noticed it was the same style as the song I first fell in love with. So I searched up Goa Trance & found this website. an started listening to a little bit more, after a month or so I forgot about it again until one drunken night my friend invited me to this party (called cabbage) I went along not knowing where the hell I was or what I was going to, I was paying at the door an I saw these pixie girls running around with smiles on there faces, and in the background I could hear these mind twisting melodies, and a hard thumping beat that was ratter ling the walls I step through the door an into a UV wonderland (something I've have never seen before) people dancing to this beautiful, Mind twisting music surrounded by Big UV butterflies and hanging UV posters I thought I step into another world, another realm I couldn't stand still I ran to the dance floor and started dancing like some mad crazy monkey who just taken a large dosage of speed, I said my friend what kind of music is this and he said PsyTrance my heart stopped! It was like a big penny dropping from the sky with a big sign saying "Its about time you got here", and since that night I've been a Goa/PsyTrance head. I think goa/psytrance found me instead of me finding it lol.

This first song I heard (That I found on my HDD) was:

Ominus--Tribalistic (Ominus album-1997)

The Other song I found on the Poi Video was:

Astral Projection--Dancing Galaxy (Dancing Galaxy Album-1997)

Those two songs will forever stay with me, because they found me & set me free

:)

Definitely discography of Infected mushroom, I received all albums at once as gift and didn't know them before, just psycho and release me. Next two weeks the transformation began. Fuck- sound vision, twisted dreams, synchronicity, deja vu, screaming, smiling, crying.....yeah it blowed my mind completly, when I was overeaten, Hallucinogen Twisted and Lone Deranger showed up, and End of the world started...break up with potential girlfriend, cut all useless friends, stopped taking pills and years of isolation began....

Josh Wink - Higher State Of Consciousness.

oooooooooooo Pavel, nice one!!! How could I have left this one out. :unsure: But what about Josh Wink under his alias:

Winx- Don't laugh apart from being IMO one of the last great acid house tunes, did anybody forget that timeless, deviant laugh during the track's middle part.

But, yes yes yes yes, "Higher State of Conscoiusness" is just ssssssoooooooooo acidic...

AweX - Back on Plastic

Not really psy but it is crazy 303ish stuff that I totally loved when I first heard it. And I still do.

Juno Reactor - Laughing Gas

I had it on an old tape and always loved it because it was so different and cooler than the 'normal' trance it was mixed with.

Man With No Name - Lunar Cycle

One of the first goa tracks I immediately loved when I discovered the style.

Purple Motion - Second Reality

Old demoscene mod, sort of goaish too. It still rocks in its low fi sweetness.

Actually, in a way, this has been at the very beginning of it all, since I didn't know anything else when I was 13 in 1994. Except Snap and 2 Unlimited and stuff. So for me this is a true classic. :)

Speedy J - Three 'o Three

A friend suddenly played this in his car and I found it so wickedly cool.

Higher State of Boring Consciousness.... I never liked it. Weak sounding track with some breakbeats and irritating high resonance filter tweaking. Yay.

Public Energy - Three O' Three.....now that's a classic. 10 times more power. Cooler. Madness.

Actually they are both simplistic tracks, but one is simplistic in a bad way and the other is simplistic in a cool way. ^^

My first trance CD ever was Juno Reactor's best of "Odyssey". Even though this was a pretty cruddy best of release, I knew no better at the time and just wanted something cheap and easy to get into the genre. The first 4 tracks took me over and I wanted to hear more music like them (High Energy Protons, Laughing Gas, Feel The Universe and Rotorblade). There was an obvious difference in the music after those 4 songs, one that didn't much interest me. Eventually I discovered artists like X-Dream, Astral Projection, Chi-A.D. and MFG... other artists who made the type of music I wanted more of... but it all began with those 4 Juno tracks. Whenever I hear any of those 4 songs I remember how it all began.

Cygnux X - Orange Theme (original)

Most definitely!!! And how about:

Underworld- Born slippy (nuxx mix) :wub:

Anybody out there remember the movie "Trainspotting"? Anybody remember the fairly simple video with that little girl head nodding with those big headphones on and, and that crazy voice going: "mega mega wild thing! mega mega wild thing!"? Well, there you go, the most cliched one of 'em all! Personally I'm convinced that nobody, not even The Prodigy before them, showed the complete cross over potential of electronic music until Underworld literary took over the entire musical market in the course of one night with this track. My rock orientated sister has two copies of this. Was there a single radio or TV show, bar, restaurant, night club, pizza parlour or whatever that didn't play this one at least twice a day? Except for Prodigy's "Charly" I don't think that there ever was, until this, a track that could claim to have single handedly proved to the masses that electronic music was much more than teenage junkie music. A true and unbeatable classic, arguably the greatest piece of electronic music ever composed. Its influence is here 12 years after it hit the market, and it doesn't wanna leave...

3 Phase feat. Dr. Motte- Der klang der familie even though I actually stopped liking techno tunes a looong time ago, the old school Tresor Records artists had some gems which every self respected DJ has on at least three vinyls. And this may have been the moment where the evergreen Berlin based Tresor techno freeks peaked- wonderful, hard, merciless and dance floor killing. In a few words- this is what made german techno german techno!

And please, don't laugh at me :rolleyes: , but I just wanna come straight and share this one with y'all... I just remembered it this afternoon, but for those who are not embarassed, dig out your dusty tapes, and play:

Mory Kante- Yeke yeke (Hardfloor remix) pay your respect where it is due!

Retro topic! Cool :)

Before trance I was listening to radio and such stuff. I remember that show that was called "Austria Top 40" ... I listened to that every friday ... gosh, that is already ancient...

From that time I remember Dune - Million Miles Away From Home ... and Robert Miles - Children ... those were my favourite songs on a chart sampler CD I had gotten back then ... I never bought another chart sampler because the CDs were sooo expensive for me, I couldn't afford. The sampler has been a present for finishing a semester or so. At that time I had just 3 or 4 CDs for more than a year long, I couldn't afford any others and I was listening to those four until death...

But then, after a year or more or so, it changed. I borrowed a trance CD from a friend of mine back then. And that was the start.

Disco Citizens - Footprint ('97 Revamp) was probably one of the first tunes that really got me into trance.

I also remember liking Paragliders - Oasis and Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar...

and The Visions Of Shiva - How Much Can You Take

I also was a big fan of DJ Quicksilver back then ... Free, Planet Love, I Have A Dream,...

And Talla 2XLC! I also liked Talla a lot back then. And Taucher.

Over time trance got more popular and I also got to own some CDs because me and my friends, we discovered these CD fares where the discs were sold in used condition, but pretty cheap ... I finally started to collect because these used ones were something I could afford. A peculiar tune along the road was Chicane - Saltwater ... it got totally stuck in my head because it was played so much on the radio here. My gosh, back then NRJ still broadcasted trance ... now they are already rnb almost as far as I can think back. Man, time moves fast. Talla vs. Taucher - Together '99 I remember too from that time.

I then later discovered the online scene and started downloading ... tunes from that time were DJ Tiesto - Urban Train and much other trance in that vein ... PvD, AvB ... and Mauro Picotto, I was a great Picotto fan back then. That was then also my first time I was going to a clubbing as he came to Vienna...

And yeah, not even a year later I discovered goa. It was through Astral Projection that I got hooked. Dancing Galaxy, People Can Fly ... yeah. And then there came Koxbox and Saikopod - my first live gig I attended. And I instantly got hooked on that sound. About that time I also must have found here and asked my first questions already :)

Eat Static - Fudge Played when I fist saw them live :o:wub:

Oh god & then listening to the Prepare Your Spirit cassette :wub:

My mates made me turn it off for being too harsh after a party but I was loving it :)