PSYNEWS'S: BEST OF 2006

moni

what's wrong you you?

I guess whith that bitchy attitude of yours, it won't really motivate people to participate and express individual opinions.

I never spoke about getting high with drugs, I never said it was stupid to do it either and I never said people that do it are stupid .. I just made apoint about how a lame we are to folow the system and not create our own rules.

There is a BIG difference.

Nothing wrong with that, then why not make it : the cds you enjoyed the most instead of "The Top 5 whatever"... I guess you believe creating competition is good..I don't.

I can't believe I just read that.... But one again I disagree,...Psytrance is ALL about spiritualitty, trippng and going to party to share it....

All the "Best of....", "Top 10" and other non sens are from and for the pop start showbizz industry.

The psytrance scene was never about "top 10" and "I wanna be number #1" but freedom of the mind and counciousness through music.

Unfortunately for people like you... Yes, I do.

And...to quote you again "First thing to make everyone happy" would be to let them speak freely and respect their opinion and as you said it: there is suppose enough room for that.... Very contradicting sentence here where you first tell me that I should not be so exclusive and yet that people should be free to express their opinion. That is pure bull-shit, just like most of the psytrance scene nowdays with the star wannabe and top ten shit and formated music.

Beeing an economist is not an excuse...sorry. I think you narrow minded and your attitude is really not what I was expecting :( Open mind, freedom and difference are values we do NOT share.

Hmmm, I won't bother quoting Emmanuhell's post before he edited it... let's just say that it was classic ad hominem abusive.

He does seem to have a problem, though. He doesn't understand the difference between actions and opiniosn. Saying something should be excluded is fine, and answering it is fine as well. Excluding something... well, that's a whole different matter.

Also, Emmanuhell doesn't seem to accept the fact that other people think/feel different than he does. That other people have greatly enjoyed Top of 2006 and have discovered great, amazing music that they haven't heard before. That people used it as a guide to that year's music, to see what they have missed. That none of this makes the music any less spiritual or beautiful.

Oh well...

About Jikkenteki and OOOD - yes, they're active members of this forum. So what?

I believe the people in this forum mostly have integrity. They vote for what they love, not for what they feel they should because someone is watching, or because someone is their friend... unlike Isratrance's Top of 2007 vote.

I haven't spoken to either Jikkenteki or OOOD (in fact, my only communications with Jikkenteki was in a post where I was wishing he'd come to perform in Israel... I still do :)). Nor have I spoken to Ka-Sol, or any of the others I've voted for. I just think their albums are brilliant. I am loyal to my own truth and taste.

Finally, Principle of Flight's album is just spectacular, in my opinion. It could be even better, with better trance parts - but some tracks on it just shine. Thank god for the Top of 2007 poll, or I would have probably never heard of the album...

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad Emmanuhell did edit his response. His previous one did made him look even more like a twat than his current response. At any rate, Emmanuhell obviously has problems expressing himself.

As far as the best of 2006 voting is concerned, I welcome it. The actual ranking is less interesting to me than the CDs being mentioned. And like most people, I will not take the fact that one CD is ranked 6th, it means that it is more appreciated or better than one ranked 9th.

In my view, what is interesting in doing this exercise is seeing what CDs other people enjoyed the most in 2006 - giving me a few pointers on other CDs to explore. The rankings themselves I believe are of secondary importance - but they are a good way of organising people's opinions and preferences. If you have the info - why not rank them. As long as you don't take it too seriously.

Perhaps some people really do attach huge significance to the rankings themselves - but they are a minority.

If it was up to me, however, I would just collect people's unranked top 5 CDs, assigning 1 point each, and then only rank them in the final group collected list.

Pedro

what's wrong you you?

I guess whith that bitchy attitude of yours, it won't really motivate people to participate and express individual opinions.

I never spoke about getting high with drugs, I never said it was stupid to do it either and I never said people that do it are stupid .. I just made apoint about how a lame we are to folow the system and not create our own rules.

Nothing wrong with that, then why not make it : the cds you enjoyed the most instead of "The Top 5 whatever"... I guess you believe creating competition is good..I don't.

I can't believe I just read that.... But one again I disagree,...Psytrance is ALL about spiritualitty, trippng and going to party to share it....

All the "Best of....", "Top 10" and other non sens are from and for the pop start showbizz industry.

The psytrance scene was never about "top 10" and "I wanna be number #1" but freedom of the mind and counciousness through music.

And...to quote you again "First thing to make everyone happy" would be to let them speak freely and respect their opinion and as you said it: there is suppose enough room for that.... Very contradicting sentence here where you first tell me that I should not be so exclusive and yet that people should be free to express their opinion. That is pure bull-shit, just like most of the psytrance scene nowdays with the star wannabe and top ten shit and formated music.

Beeing an economist is not an excuse...sorry. I think you narrow minded and your attitude is really not what I was expecting :( Open mind, freedom and difference are values we do NOT share.

I don't create competition. I just do some calculations.

I don't tell you what to do, what you should do, or how you should be. Read my post again, objectively.

I accept your opinnion even if i disaggree, but i have nothing more to add, i've made my point and it stands. Sorry.

I'd like to tell you just this: PSYNEWS is not the whole psychedelic culture and scene, PSYNEWS is basically a website. Websites contain information.

Oh, the "i'm an economist" thing was not an excuse, it was said on a humorous note. I'm quite proud of my profession. :)

If it was up to me, however, I would just collect people's unranked top 5 CDs, assigning 1 point each, and then only rank them in the final group collected list.

Pedro

If you check the results of the "Best of 2005" exercise, you will see that the chart has 2 columns of numbers: one is with SCORE (the sum of the 1,2,3,4,5 points resulted from the top5's), and 1 with VOTES (1 mention means 1 vote).

I did it both ways, and i intent to keep both systems this year as well.

Emmanuhell, I do see your point, however i don't think that "Best of.." is necessarily 'bad' per se. For me it only means "Which release you enjoyed the most this year" I don't see it as MTV-Top Chart or something... :D;)

+1 ;)

personally i have vote for only 3 albums (only bcause i want to see some goa and quality psy releases in list)

otherwise no meaning cause 2006 sux imo.. besides that, as we have all notice especially to this best of poll, there are many votes for some artists/psynews users..( jikkenteki, oood) and i wonder how valid can be this poll when the same time these guys have some good friends here ...i mean i don't have nothing against jikkenteki for example, (probably we will c him in top 3 cd's) but it has very interest to check and some other polls from other forums/sites if has the same success to votes as well. let's c.

Lets c :wacko:<_<

Nothing wrong with that, then why not make it : the cds you enjoyed the most instead of "The Top 5 whatever"...

This reminds me of the teacher in the UK last year who suggested that the term "failure" should no longer be used in schools, and should be replaced with "deferred success".

what's wrong you you?

:huh:

I like to read other people's opinions on what they enjoyed most of 2006

Nothing wrong with that, then why not make it : the cds you enjoyed the most instead of "The Top 5 whatever"... I guess you believe creating competition is good..I don't.I can't believe I just read that.... But one again I disagree,...Psytrance is ALL about spiritualitty, trippng and going to party to share it....

I don't believe there is anything wrong with a little healthy competition! By the way, what difference do you see between your best of 2006 & CDs you enjoyed the most of 2006. The meaning is the same, it's just paraphrased.

Don't you think that you can have spiritualism & competition? Are they so mutually exclusive?

Somehow I don't quite see many people who are star wannabes voted for in this pole. Don't see many votes for Skazi, who has the real rock star attitude. Whoever wins will be stoked I'm sure but I'm sure those that don't win aren't going to be too upset.

Just because you are jaded with the scene & you no longer believe in the people you don't have to come here with your attitude & try to make other people feel bad. It wont work, people don't care.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & everyone is entitled to disagree but play nicely & try not to make people feel bad for their opinion :)

Nothing wrong with that, then why not make it : the cds you enjoyed the most instead of "The Top 5 whatever"...

because it IS a top5 of what the users of THIS forum liked of 2006 ;) Whats the big deal anyways? :(

:huh:

Just because you are jaded with the scene & you no longer believe in the people you don't have to come here with your attitude & try to make other people feel bad. It wont work, people don't care.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & everyone is entitled to disagree but play nicely & try not to make people feel bad for their opinion :)

100% in agreeance with you abasio!!

I could care less what the "scene bashers" have to say...

it's sad that they feel the need to put a downer on it as a whole.

I'll love this scene & genre until my last breath!

:D

because it IS a top5 of what the users of THIS forum liked of 2006 ;) Whats the big deal anyways? :(

Right Nemo!

I know who MY top 5 are!

;)

emmanuhell has a point though...

when we define a TOP # we create a chasm in the music...yes we state which cds we like the most,and give them their support,but we also create an "elite" that will get played the most on partys.. and therefore we do not treat music as it should be treated but instead we create a box and put in it the most popular releases,which are not always the best.and a vicious circle of DJ's playing popularity instead of quality,that they pick up from TOP 5's.

if we could trust djs on spinning "good" stuff,this would be obsolete. but we all know what is going on....

but with all the crap that is being released our days,this selection is pretty much necessary..

so its up to a personal choice. ;)

PS: I cant post a top 5,cz the only 2006 album I heard (and liked) was the pyramidal compilation...can I post a TOP 1 ? :P

emmanuhell has a point though...

when we define a TOP # we create a chasm in the music...yes we state which cds we like the most,and give them their support,but we also create an "elite" that will get played the most on partys.. and therefore we do not treat music as it should be treated but instead we create a box and put in it the most popular releases,which are not always the best.and a vicious circle of DJ's playing popularity instead of quality,that they pick up from TOP 5's.

if we could trust djs on spinning "good" stuff,this would be obsolete. but we all know what is going on....

but with all the crap that is being released our days,this selection is pretty much necessary..

so its up to a personal choice. ;)

I also notice a point being made by emmanuhell, but it is ultimately idealistic, on the verge of being cynical.

Realistically, the music scene, just like any other scene, is inherently competetive. An artist has to compete to get noticed. That's why marketing and promotion are such a big part of the business. An artist who has good promotion skills will ultimately be on top, even if his music isn't that good. Combine good music with good promotion and you've got a hit on your hands, but good music without good promotion will stay buried in a mountain of releases. It's survival of the fittest, really, and any artist worth his salt learns very early that the creative part of being an artist is only a small part of what is required for success.

So whether or not it was Jikkenteki's or Colin's intention, their presence here has been a great promotion strategy, the results of which are obvious in the voting. Sure, there might be much better releases out there - in fact, I guarantee there are - but if so, those artists, for one reason or another, have not been promoting themselves - or being promoted by their respective labels - in a competetive and aggressive manner.

So whether or not it was Jikkenteki's or Colin's intention, their presence here has been a great promotion strategy, the results of which are obvious in the voting.

For the record, I've been a regular visitor to these forums for at least 6 years now, long before I had any thoughts of ever being able to release anything musically, so I'd still be here whether I released a cd or not. Any promotional advantage I've gained from being here has purely been a coincidental benefit of being somewhere I would have been anyway.

Snowball's point about creating a top group creating an "elite" at parties and such may have some merit in the mainstream media and all, but I don't think it really applies to these forums so much as, at least to me, Psynews has always been the "more underground" the flip side of the "mainstream" Isratrance. Else-wise we'd be seeing more votes for Skazi and the rest of the actual "big sales" (if there is such a thing anymore) psy-trance party "elite" (again, if there is such a thing) here. If me getting a few votes here (which I must say I'm as surprised as anyone about, if not more so) indicates that I'm part of the so called psy-trance elite in terms of popularity, sales, and being booked for parties, then the psy-trance scene is in some serious trouble.

Anyways, we are far off topic here so I'll shut up now... :ph34r:

what's wrong you you?

I'm not understand! Are you big loser who always loses? I thinking that people who say competition is bad and people should be getting along nice and not competitioning are the peoples who don't ever win and be angry because it. Or peoples who having the loser kids who can never win.

I not good at many thing but I still wante competituon, compettition make us stronger no?

"Freedom of mind and counciousness through music, psytrance is all about spitituality, tripping and going to party to share it..." we don't all need drugs to enjoy music. move to the real world hippy! here is money and security,, famiry and love. not onlies music and drugs and doing nothing

For the record, I've been a regular visitor to these forums for at least 6 years now, long before I had any thoughts of ever being able to release anything musically, so I'd still be here whether I released a cd or not. Any promotional advantage I've gained from being here has purely been a coincidental benefit of being somewhere I would have been anyway.

Snowball's point about creating a top group creating an "elite" at parties and such may have some merit in the mainstream media and all, but I don't think it really applies to these forums so much as, at least to me, Psynews has always been the "more underground" the flip side of the "mainstream" Isratrance. Else-wise we'd be seeing more votes for Skazi and the rest of the actual "big sales" (if there is such a thing anymore) psy-trance party "elite" (again, if there is such a thing) here. If me getting a few votes here (which I must say I'm as surprised as anyone about, if not more so) indicates that I'm part of the so called psy-trance elite in terms of popularity, sales, and being booked for parties, then the psy-trance scene is in some serious trouble.

Anyways, we are far off topic here so I'll shut up now... :ph34r:

yeah,psynews TOP 5 is not a commercial top 5...we still have the underground feeling somewhat here... :)

AkumaSama

lol man,this music was made for tripping(when it started anyways)....all that that you mentioned (except family) was what this scene was not. ;)

Utter crap. Then we should ban every dj for posting their top5 of the year or whatever. TASTE TASTE TASTE, I can not mention it more, its about TASTE... and THIS little Chart/Top5/Whatever, is a SUMMARY of what the people here like the most. There will be a FULL chart of every single release voted on etc etc, noone will be forgotten, noone will get deleted...

TASTE people... Can you say it?!

Utter crap. Then we should ban every dj for posting their top5 of the year or whatever. TASTE TASTE TASTE, I can not mention it more, its about TASTE... and THIS little Chart/Top5/Whatever, is a SUMMARY of what the people here like the most. There will be a FULL chart of every single release voted on etc etc, noone will be forgotten, noone will get deleted...

TASTE people... Can you say it?!

then why everybody plays tiesto at a trance party? popularity.not taste. ;)

taste is personal.popularity is the opposite!

then why everybody plays tiesto at a trance party? popularity.not taste. ;)

taste is personal.popularity is the opposite!

when everyone plays tiesto at a party, you obviously made the wrong choise of party (unless you like Tiesto of course)... not an argument. I know more people that love Tiesto than people that love OOOD... and they Genuinly go to all parties he plays on...

when everyone plays tiesto at a party, you obviously made the wrong choise of party (unless you like Tiesto of course)... not an argument. I know more people that love Tiesto than people that love OOOD... and they Genuinly go to all parties he plays on...

you didnt understand me. I was talking about how popularity is more easy to influence ppl than quality!

a lot of ppl actualy fool themeselves in liking a record because it was voted number 1 in a famous chart!!!And they dont even like it,they want to like it (and they think they do) because everybody else liked it!!!

which is sad!!

you didnt understand me. I was talking about how popularity is more easy to influence ppl than quality!

a lot of ppl actualy fool themeselves in liking a record because it was voted number 1 in a famous chart!!!And they dont even like it,they want to like it (and they think they do) because everybody else liked it!!!

which is sad!!

so you know this for a fact? are you aware that you are saying that the most people into electronica are being brainwashed, and you are aware that your statement sounds completely elitist, right?

e. and WHO decides if Tiesto is quality or not? certainly the listener, or not?

1. Carbon Based Lifeforms - World of Sleepers [ultimae - 02 Dec 2006]

2. Nuclear Ramjet - Mission To Sedna [spaceport - 17 Feb 2006]

3. Trentemøller - The Last Resort [Poker Flat - 06 Oct 2006]

4. Fuzzion - Black Magic [boshke Beats - 08 Feb 2006]

5. Vibrasphere - Archipelago [Digital Structures - 04 Apr 2006]

so you know this for a fact? are you aware that you are saying that the most people into electronica are being brainwashed, and you are aware that your statement sounds completely elitist, right?

e. and WHO decides if Tiesto is quality or not? certainly the listener, or not?

I think, its true, popularity is the main influence for MOST people.

However, when we move into the underground it changes slightly, as apposed to the mainstream. I think, for underground/subcultur musical styles, it often is not popularity as such but more image which appeals to the masses. People look for music they can identify their own self image with, often they reside in the subculture to set them selves apart from mainstream culture, and they will choose music which will help them do that.

As a DJ, when I was less experienced, labels meant more to me sometimes. I mean, its what I call "political correct djing" now, where you will choose tracks from well respected labels very often, and, when you listen to music, you will prioritize the newest Twisted Records release more than lets say a totally new label with unknown artists on it.

What I do now is, that I dont care, I listen to it all, on the same level. This means, I find more music that other djs miss, because they focus on the big well known labels more. I think it has to do with becoming essentially mature, as a music listener, that you put yourself above labels and above everything and you just confront the sound of the music versus your own personal reaction, and then to hell what people think.

However, you cant really generalize over all people... You can however acknowledge that the word "hype" is there for a reason, and that reason is something DEEEPLY treasured by marketing people. That IS a fact, and that could actually proove the point. Perhaps not that "most" people do something, but at the very least a "significant" portion of them do.

It took me about 5-7 years of calling myself a DJ, untill I had found faith in myself to become objective from labels when I listened to music. Truely, I dont think that many djs are independant like that, even if they say so. To be noted, I was rather young when I took it up, around 15-16 years old. True character I think, first starts to be complete around 25 when your sense of responsiblity and logics are fully evolved.

However, its not something we will find out, because, its not in saying the words, its in waking the walk. Also, I dont want to exclude the option that, in 10 years I will be saying something along the lines of "I was first a REAL man @40" ;-) hehe. Im 29 now, and I think, the oder I get, the more confident and independant I will become, from hype and whatever everybody else thinks (popularity).

- Krell

Besides popularity being an issue for liking an artist or just a song for some people, in rather underground cultures like ours for example, there are also a lot of people who use popularity to dislike a certain artist, album, label or song. Since it is gone too big or popular I can no longer feel special when likeing it so I can also no longer judge the music from a (more or less) neutral point of view.

I think, its true, popularity is the main influence for MOST people.

However, when we move into the underground it changes slightly, as apposed to the mainstream. I think, for underground/subcultur musical styles, it often is not popularity as such but more image which appeals to the masses. People look for music they can identify their own self image with, often they reside in the subculture to set them selves apart from mainstream culture, and they will choose music which will help them do that.

As a DJ, when I was less experienced, labels meant more to me sometimes. I mean, its what I call "political correct djing" now, where you will choose tracks from well respected labels very often, and, when you listen to music, you will prioritize the newest Twisted Records release more than lets say a totally new label with unknown artists on it.

What I do now is, that I dont care, I listen to it all, on the same level. This means, I find more music that other djs miss, because they focus on the big well known labels more. I think it has to do with becoming essentially mature, as a music listener, that you put yourself above labels and above everything and you just confront the sound of the music versus your own personal reaction, and then to hell what people think.

However, you cant really generalize over all people... You can however acknowledge that the word "hype" is there for a reason, and that reason is something DEEEPLY treasured by marketing people. That IS a fact, and that could actually proove the point. Perhaps not that "most" people do something, but at the very least a "significant" portion of them do.

It took me about 5-7 years of calling myself a DJ, untill I had found faith in myself to become objective from labels when I listened to music. Truely, I dont think that many djs are independant like that, even if they say so. To be noted, I was rather young when I took it up, around 15-16 years old. True character I think, first starts to be complete around 25 when your sense of responsiblity and logics are fully evolved.

However, its not something we will find out, because, its not in saying the words, its in waking the walk. Also, I dont want to exclude the option that, in 10 years I will be saying something along the lines of "I was first a REAL man @40" ;-) hehe. Im 29 now, and I think, the oder I get, the more confident and independant I will become, from hype and whatever everybody else thinks (popularity).

- Krell

Putting it that way, I of course need to agree to some extent :) Maybe its because im 32, been a dj since 1992, and dont follow the hype, and never have. I dont know people really either that follow the hype, so to me its natural... :) Wise words Krell, as always! :)