moni

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the discussion is interesting.

I was hoping to see more top5's than debate though. :P

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY. :D

It is good to debate around favourite albums, coz then you discover their true meaning. ;)

so you know this for a fact? are you aware that you are saying that the most people into electronica are being brainwashed, and you are aware that your statement sounds completely elitist, right?

e. and WHO decides if Tiesto is quality or not? certainly the listener, or not?

:blink:

yeah I do know this for a fact. and so do you!!! you are a dj ,you know how the crowd works!

what do you mean elitist? :huh: why? I jsut said that people often pick what has scored high in the charts instead of digging and finding what they like.

you are barking at the wrong tree here man.

yeah I do know this for a fact. and so do you!!! you are a dj ,you know how the crowd works!

what do you mean elitist? :huh: why? I jsut said that people often pick what has scored high in the charts instead of digging and finding what they like.

Yeah, but this is exactly what I am talking about: you are a dj ,you know how the crowd works! i might know how a crowd works, but i dont play things to please a crowd that only likes tiesto for instance. then I have been misbooked, you understand what I mean? and to be honest, all of my friends dig very deep to find that special sound.

it was the generalisation that got to me snowball. sorry if you got offended in any way.

and I think I will move the offtopic threads to another thread about popularity, or will you do it moni? :) (I wouldnt mind if you do!)

Time for some top 5 after all! I too felt like this was probably not the best year for psy.. many copycat tracks, many boring new 'artists' using the same sounds over and over, where is the innovative part?... still I hope the scene will get a new taste, something fresh to keep it interesting!

Still i've bought some good albums imo. My top 5 (nr 1 being most played I guess)

1) Twisted System - Core (Awesome production, great melodies and many dancefloorbashers!)

2) Frozen Ghost - Just One Bite (Didn't get much attention, imo this is the best debut album coming from S.A this year!)

3) Multistate - Collaborating With Machines (2nd best debut album from S.A! )

4) VA - Goanation Volume 3 (most played Prog V.A for me!)

5) Chromatone - ChromaConnection (freaky full on, perfect dancefloor stuff!)

Worthy mention:

Peter Gun - Friendly Fire (not really psy though..)

Slum - Make Rainbow In Your Slum

V.A - Pump Fiction

V.A - New Order

V.A - Afterhourz (Especially the Motion tracks are GREAT)

Edit: Slight change might come up!

I've heard Solstice Black Compilation Vol. 2 for the first time, and I'm really impressed!

As a DJ you just need to know how the music works, and put your faith in the fact that the crowd is there for the music.

Problem solved :-)

More difficult if the crowd isnt there for the music though, if they are only there for the hysteria, shouting and so forth - then you might have to play stuff like Skazi to satisfy the crowd, then again, perhaps you should just not give a damn and still just refer to yourself for quality and not the crowd. If you do, then perhaps those people wont come next time, and more people will come for the music.

The truth is always simple!

- Krell

and I think I will move the offtopic threads to another thread about popularity, or will you do it moni? :) (I wouldnt mind if you do!)

I'm sure there was a thread created called "Talk from the best of 2006" it was obviously not very popular

Yeah, but this is exactly what I am talking about: you are a dj ,you know how the crowd works! i might know how a crowd works, but i dont play things to please a crowd that only likes tiesto for instance. then I have been misbooked, you understand what I mean? and to be honest, all of my friends dig very deep to find that special sound.

it was the generalisation that got to me snowball. sorry if you got offended in any way.

psynews is pretty much an exception... i have no doubt that you dig and dig until you find the "TRACK" (lol,you spin eat static,it goes without saying that you are a digger) :D

its just that a lot of people use top # as guides... I am not against a chart that shows our favourite releases of the year! that is perfectly OK!

i didnt got offended,I just thought you were looking for a fight ...maybe you were in a bad mood or smt like that :)

psynews is pretty much an exception... i have no doubt that you dig and dig until you find the "TRACK" (lol,you spin eat static,it goes without saying that you are a digger) :D

its just that a lot of people use top # as guides... I am not against a chart that shows our favourite releases of the year! that is perfectly OK!

i didnt got offended,I just thought you were looking for a fight ...maybe you were in a bad mood or smt like that :)

no, I was looking for a good debate actually. because its a hot and very interessting topic, and we rarely have these topics here on psynews (well the topics of my taste, im not saying that we dont have good debates period...) :)

no, I was looking for a good debate actually. because its a hot and very interessting topic, and we rarely have these topics here on psynews (well the topics of my taste, im not saying that we dont have good debates period...) :)

misunderstanding of the internet... ;)

but really,have you never witnessed this phenomena? ppl following charts as spinning/buying guides?

but really,have you never witnessed this phenomena? ppl following charts as spinning/buying guides?

I have, but I tend not to listen to their sets/follow their recommendations.

misunderstanding of the internet... ;)

I have, but I tend not to listen to their sets/follow their recommendations.

Yeah, me neither. I buy/listen to who & what I like, not because of "trendiness & hype".

Anyway, my Top 5 stands as is, no matter what.

:D

1. OOOD - Free Range (Organic)

2. Koxbox - U-Turn (Twisted)

3. Filteria - Heliopolis (Suntrip)

4. V/A - Alpha Rhythms (Wildthings Records)

That's about it. I've bought a lot of music in 2006, though most of it was old-school or older "new" stuff (from 2002-2005). I won't vote for music I only heard from samples / mp3.

:)

That's the second time in a week someone's told me or implied that I shouldn't post on forums. The other guy even says he's coming round to my house to show me the error of my ways. WTF, just because a few people like what we do I should deprive myself of one of my main forms of social interaction (yes I AM that sad)? Go hang. I hate pubs. Anyone who thinks I'm here just to promote what I do should stfu and actually READ some of the drivel I post. If they can bear to. Of course, promotion has to be part of it - I'd be a damn fool not to let people know what we were up to - but I try my best not to ram it down people's throats.

In other news...

Thanks for your votes, people :) Despite the knowledge that it means absolutely nothing in real terms it's very gratifying and humbling to see OOOD in so many of your top 5s. Except for Otto... no soup for you! :angry:;)

Except for Otto... no soup for you! :angry:;)

Hehe. I haven't even heard the OOOD album yet. Didn't listen to many releases this year. It was a bad psy year for me all around, but a few things excited me, and I voted for them.

Did some dude actually threaten to more or less get physical with you for posting on forums? :blink:

1. Filteria-Heliopolis

2. Koxbox- U-Turn

3. Vibrasphere-Archipeligo

4. Twisted System- Core

5. Electrypnose-Subliminal Meloncholies

Honorable mentions go to Nexus Media (for several artist releases and compilations esp Abomination), Highcosmos, Audialize, Phatmatix, Naked Tourist, Peak Records and Triac.

Did some dude actually threaten to more or less get physical with you for posting on forums? :blink:

Yup. He hedged his words but he was pretty unambiguous. Said I was 'begging for groupies' here. He sent PMs to me on Isra and Psy-Forum saying he was going to come round; obviously I discussed it with the other psy-forum mods, and between us we found an address (in Portsmouth) and phone number for him from his website domain and forum registration details. Obviously he may have moved since then but should he try anything he won't be difficult for the police to trace now we have a starting point. We've got the IP addresses of all his posts too, which his ISP will be able to resolve to a physical address should the need arise.

Yup. He hedged his words but he was pretty unambiguous. Said I was 'begging for groupies' here. He sent PMs to me on Isra and Psy-Forum saying he was going to come round; obviously I discussed it with the other psy-forum mods, and between us we found an address (in Portsmouth) and phone number for him from his website domain and forum registration details. Obviously he may have moved since then but should he try anything he won't be difficult for the police to trace now we have a starting point. We've got the IP addresses of all his posts too, which his ISP will be able to resolve to a physical address should the need arise.

Fucking crazy. What in god's name is wrong with some people? I mean, I guess if you analyze it a little you can only sort of feel sorry for the guy for having to resort to that sort of shit. Then again, the freaks come out when someone gains a bit of esteem in any community. Stalkers, etc. Do you have a stalker yet? ;)

I always have a hard time with these polls - limiting myself to only 5 - from such a vast talent pool is always tricky for me.

Anyway, here are my picks for 2006:

Progressive:

Tegma - Around The World In 80 Minutes (Tribal Vision)

Perfect Stranger – Learning = Change (Iboga Records)

V/A - Kodama (Plusquam Records)

V/A – Trash Art (Tribal Vision)

V/A - Think Different (Echoes Records)

Hypertrance:

Quasar – One Day (Mistress Of Evil)

Electrypnose - Le Tireur De Ficelles (Peak Records)

Frantic Noise - The Nordland Orchestra (Dark Prisma Records)

V/A - No Possible Soundz (6-Dimension Sound)

V/A - Psy Stories 2 (Parvati Records)

(Somewhat) melodic:

O.O.O.D. – Free Range (Organic)

Koxbox – U-Turn (Twisted Records)

V/A - God Save The Machine (TIP.World)

Filteria - Heliopolis (Suntrip Records)

Tron - Existence (Liquid Records)

Phatmatix - Sorcery (Yabai Records)

Downbeat:

Slackbaba - …And The Beat Goes OM… (Liquid Records)

V/A - Oxycanta (Ultima)

V/A – Relaxed Journeys (Chill Tribe Records)

Electrypnose – Subliminal Melancholies (Ajana Records)

V/A – Floating Point 3 (Sofa Beats)

Crossover:

Mantrix - Universal (SUB)

Jikkenteki – The Long Walk Home (PAR-2 Productions)

Ka-Sol - Fairytale (Suntrip Records)

Drap Drop – Dropdead Gorgeous (ELF Music)

V/A - Musica Discordia (Gi'iwa Productions)

^ Before February 1st, I'll have those boiled down to a top 5. Time is working against me. :blink:

/DP

No, it's ok, i think i want the talk to stay here in this thread.

oh, I have that address too! :D (Same thing happened to me, with the same person) :)

va - squeech

va - musica discordia

Ka-Sol - Fairytale

no possible soundz

Shiwa 2000 - Runkmeditation & Perstantra

sanatonic audio

Still some albums I haven't heard or need to give a better listen, but this will do for now