What type of Psy dont you get?

NEMO.BOFH

Music like Venetian Snare's, I mean  :blink:  :wacko:  :blink:

647020[/snapback]

their last one is good.. :D

647052[/snapback]

Yeah it's rather okay. Had it in repeat for about a day on my N91 and at some point I actually started liking it :)

Umm what goes for types of psy. I'm rather tired of full on. There's some good stuff but mostly I just find it boring. Same goes for this "dark killargh trance stuff". It's fucking bad if you ask me. Finnish trance has gotten mucho better lately. It's not so "monkey on the keys" anymore. Umm.. Remember that minimal boom back in 2000/2001/2002 or something? I still find most of that stuff utterly boring :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait a few years then try again.

647250[/snapback]

Hey, I can listen to and get absorbed in the most monotonous ambient (read: The Magnificent Void), it's not an issue of maturing tastes anymore. >.>

"Forest" psy. I still resent people calling it forest. Forests are ambient and folky.

647243[/snapback]

I can hear u never heard this in a forest.... but I dont expect u to understand....its just out of reach for some people :P

and btw folky = forest :huh: its more like a pub if u ask me!!!

Hmmm where to begin... Ok, First of all, forest trance does not exist, nor does forest psy or whatever. Just because the morepart of the Swedish/Finish forest parties play a certain genre on Forest parties, doesnt make it a genre. I mean, should we start calling full on GOA, just because they happened to play it there last season!? :D I hope you understand what I mean, because my definition of forest music, is totally NOT strange Finish music. So for me Forest trance would be.... gedit? :D

Cinos, the best parties that i have ever been to have been in a forest. Forests are very psychedelic, and dancing in one, to your favorite music, can be a very cool experience, I suggest you try it :) I can point out some parties in Sweden next year that will probably play more oldschool type of psy.

So, progressive.. yeah boring you say (noone in particular). Let me quote what someone on a review site said about the new Echotek "Slowed down full on, is not progressive, its slowed down full on". It seems to me that Israel is doing something to the genre which once was full with rhythm, soul and spirit. They take it their direction and make their version of it. Right or Wrong? Well, neither, let them do whatever they want! Good artists will remain good artists, so I am looking forward what some of the good artists will have in store for us next year! :)

But in the end it all comes down to taste, and thank good I have a very wide taste in music, and one of my genres will always release one good record a month! :)

it's not an issue of maturing tastes anymore. >.>

Wait a few years. Ive thought very similar things. I used to be a punk. I thought I would love punk til I was really old. I still dont mind a lot of it. But, its not what I thought it was back then.

My point is really that people change, times change, what is the best to you now may not be in 5 years.

I dont get Finnish Psy at all. I liked ONE Texas Faggot track, and the rest I cant listen to. One thing I dont get either, is Schlabbaduerst stuff... Its not that its bad music, I just dont get it. So dont get me wrong here, I can hear that there is a lot of brains behind it....

What subgenre or type of psy do you not understand? :)

646960[/snapback]

Do you like Finnish psy live better or do you feel the same about that?

I, myself hardly ever listen to Finnsih psy from CD:s etc. I prefer them live...

I appreciate their style on their releases but I just can´t take it for too long myself either.. Live is totally different tho :)

I have to admit I am a bit bored with psy myself for the moment even tho a part of me will always love it. I still like to listen to oldschool and prog occasionally but I rarely visit parties nowadays, except for a few festys in the summer.. :)

Do you like Finnish psy live better or do you feel the same about that?

I, myself hardly ever listen to Finnsih psy from CD:s etc. I prefer them live...

I appreciate their style on their releases but I just can´t take it for too long myself either.. Live is totally different tho :)

647277[/snapback]

Its not about not liking it, i just dont get the music. You know, I will feel like my dad when I say the following, once he said this about techno "It all just sounds the same".

Not live, but plenty of djs and in forests as well. Still didnt get it. I dont get whats so attractive about it. What makes people dance to it? I just dont get it. I mean, I can see what gets people going when they listen to cheesy poofs, but this genre, no sir, i dont understand :)

This is not negative though, I listen to some of it, just to hear the production, they have sometimes very cool ideas, that can be deployed in other genres :)

I can hear u never heard this in a forest.... but I dont expect u to understand....its just out of reach for some people :P

and btw folky = forest  :huh: its more like a pub if u ask me!!!

647270[/snapback]

Folk music in forests is very cool as well. It can be a very spiritual experience. Depends on WHAT folk, and WHO performs it though :) I mean, I am sorry, but Irish folk I prefer in a pub with my blood full with Guinnes :D

Folk music in forests is very cool as well. It can be a very spiritual experience. Depends on WHAT folk, and WHO performs it though :) I mean, I am sorry, but Irish folk I prefer in a pub with my blood full with Guinnes :D

647289[/snapback]

Finnsh folk of course. And that's not tango. The REAL finnish folk. :P

Swedish too, they're just about the same. Forest music. <.<

I know its a not really possible to discuss or atleast conclude what is forest music and whats not (cus nothing really is, maybe the sound of the wind and rain?) but for me its actually quite amazing to be in forest away from civilization and enter the world of magic, weirdness and psychedelia :)

When u say folky Cinos what exatly do u mean? Old-tradional nordic or the irish-sounding or what... well both of them reminds me of the world of people not the one of mystical forest, but thats just my opion of course ;)... but I guess a forest would'nt be a bad place to any kind of music... well nothing really safes skazi but that will never happen anyways ;)

ED: I see u just answered my question :D

Swedish too, they're just about the same. Forest music. <.<

647295[/snapback]

Yeah true that, I mean, afterall we had all our parties in the forests ages ago. Or on the "Vischan" (In the villages, on the farms, which basically had forests surrounding them)...

But I am sure you have never been to a good forest party... and you should try it atleast once, before you go and say that Trance is not for forests. If you like forests, and you like "Psychedelic Trance" you will most likely love it.... but then there was this problem that you dont want to meet people right? A shame really, you are really missing out on things :(

Psy that I don't get:

- JUNO REACTOR

- some Oldschool

- Texas Faggot

- Parasense

- Organic Noise (The Vacuum is an incredibly great track though!)

- some Eat Static (some other Eat Static are very good stuff though ... weird)

- TEH UBER CHEESY SCOOTER FULLON OF NOW

647295[/snapback]

now you know why I like teh finnish Humppa Metal so much :D

1. Vocals - in progressive psy and full on- no. that vocoder thing- i hate it.

2. Electro Influence in Psy - unless its done really well. i hate that offbeat bassline that has infected so much progressive these days....

3. 150bpm+ - it gets to the point where its just TOO fast, where you can't decipher sounds from one another. there are well produced exceptions to this...(which i can't think of at the moment...)

4. "Neuro" - nonesense dark psy. stupid name. it has no structure, its usually got no melody, its got too many scratchy sounds, its usually too fast. me no like.

5. Fomulaic Full On or Progressive - mostly Israeli stuff on labels like com.pact, hommega, utopia...i really don't like this, so haven't really kept up with it at all for the past few years.

6. Progressive House that Passes Itself Off as Psy - Yes i have a special place in my heart for that beckers track but no its not at all psy. Iboga's sadly on this path as well...

7. "Dark Psy" putting too much emphasis on the fact that its "Dark" - Artists & Labels like DarkPsy, DarkOhm, Dark Elf, DARK Records, Darkabba, Dark Shire....its never wise to box yourself into one genre (look at Dark Soho...no longer dark!)

For me there is a difference between what I can enjoy at a party and listening at home. I really can't stand the very old high speed goa, it gets on my nerves and sounds very immature to me (I am not talking about Hallucinogen and Astral Projection here, but the stuff you find on cheap second hand goa compilations wich are mixed very bad). At home I can't listen to fast darkpsy and agressive full on like the new Electric Universe album, it's way to agressive and gives me the feeling I'm listening to hardtrance or something. But, at the fullmoon festival I enjoyed the dark and twisted stuff the most and Electric Universe as well, so for for me that's pure dancefloor stuff.

Moved to general forum. Nemo, where are you posting?!  :blink:  ;)

647388[/snapback]

Actually, I thought it would fit for offtopic, as I thought, it would go way more offtopic than it did (other genres and so on), but it didnt, so I was going to move it to General haha :)

Ok nemo, no warning given out to you! :P;);)

Anyway, here is my reply:

I absolutely don't get minimal, not only psy minimal but minimal in general. To me it sounds very boring and uninspiring. I'm a sucker for melodies so this doesn't come as a surprise I think... I do get some progressive, more the housy/electro/trance type of progressive and not so much the typical psy progressive. This sounds all to similar to me. I can't name an artist but I'm mainly talking about the stuff that get used to play when I was attending parties around 2002.

Most of Darkpsy is not really my thing either, there is good stuff but a lot of stuff is also to repetitive and boring for me, so I don't get that. I don't know about forest trance, haven't heard enough of it (and never even at a party) so I guess I can't judge if I get it or not.

Edit: Forgot two things! First one is techtrance. There is some nice club techtrance but stuff like Midimiliz is absolutely not my thing. And then there is Astral Projection. The music is nice but nothing more to me. It doesn't move me like the rest of the old-school does. Guess I also don't get it.

every subgenre of psytrance has at least some music I like, but the 2 genres who offer me the least satisfaction are both progressive (although I did hear some great stuff the last couple of months) and the really dark horror psy (good for a little while, but then it all starts sounding the same for me ...).

I simply don't get neo full on at all because it sounds so dull, simple and they always use exact the same sounds and basslines, BORING (which doesn't mean there are not a few good tracks in between!)

idem dito with "horror trance", on Boom! I really started to hate that music, 160 bpm rough noise... Where's the trance?

and last but not least the housy progressive (the trancy progressive can be very good tho)

1. Vocals - in progressive psy and full on- no. that vocoder thing- i hate it.

647339[/snapback]

Yes this really and ood thing to do... or at least if u would still consider yourself a psychedelic trance act :blink: I mean for me if just totally ruins the psychedelic and the trance-inducing effect of the music.... samples and talk is ok...but singing OMG the HORROR!!!

3. 150bpm+ - it gets to the point where its just TOO fast, where you can't decipher sounds from one another. there are well produced exceptions to this...(which i can't think of at the moment...)

647339[/snapback]

I tend to agree the only people who manage this very well imo is Osom... :)

there is no psy that I don't get ...

but there is a lot of psy that I don't like

647426[/snapback]

Same here.

I dont like the Bizzare contacts , ultravoice , anada shakes and all the other israeli groups which fit in this category. The bassline is so loose and syths are cheeeezzzyyy :blink: And what they do really well is add some stupid sample like ' Psychedelic hallucinations' or ' Im not awake right now' - pisses me off like hell. The music content is so uninspiring and the total package dull. I could have maybe listened to it sometime ago before i discovered the better morning acts but not now . They sound even worse than eurotrance. Everthing else is ok.