Lotto Contest for May

faze

Hi gang,

In an attempt to get some recommendations flowing, and a chance for other people to listen to something different, I thought I would try a new contest.

If you would like to enter, the idea is as such...

Reply with your most listened to CD in 2006, plus any thoughts on the album you may have.

It can be any album or a compilation. It does not have to have been released in 2006, it's just the CD that you find you have listened to the most this year. I do ask that it be a CD you purchased, not a bootleg download, please (although I will never know, unless it's Radi) :P

At the end of this month, I can draw one or two names from a hat with all the entries, and the winning name(s) can pick one of the CDs listed in the thread as a prize. I do ask that it be a regular priced CD that is readily available from Psyshop, Saikosounds, eBay, etc that is not super rare and expensive. Accidental Occidentalism, for example won't be eligible as a prize, sorry.

*You are welcome to list such a CD as your most listened to, but unfortunately I will not be able to award such an expensive CD*

Contest ends June 1st. One Entry per person, please do not make new accounts just to enter (not that I think anyone would). All are welcome to enter, including mods.

As this is a free contest I make no guarantees. I will cover shipping of the CD to you as well, by mule, pelican, or other slow means of mail. If it gets lost in the mail, I cannot be responsible, sorry.

Also, if you happen to win, but either have all the CDs already, or don't want to choose one, you are more than welcome to give your pick to anyone else you wish to here at Psynews.

I am hoping this turns out to be fun, and gives people a chance to hear something new.

Thanks for any replies, and good luck,

Faze

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I bought this album a while back and it didn't get a lot of play in 2005 - I've started to listen to it a hell of a lot more this year, and it is a fantastic album - if you haven't got it already then you're missing out on some great music. So for me, the CD is:

Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment (AlephZ01)

aleph zero website | psyshop | discogs

Hmmm...

That's rather difficult for I can not really recall what CD I've listened the most to this year. If it would be just a song then I could be quite sure that it was Finntroll - Jaktens Tid ... but that's not psy anyway...

I guess it's Makyo - Shringara ... and actually not even so much as CD itself, but I listen a lot to the mp3s of it (and did already before I obtained the CD - but I really have the piece, go ask Quazzi :) ). That's mainly because my CD drive lately sometimes doesn't want to play them discs or spit them out again!

(just like now, that's because I'm off now to restart again :rolleyes: )

I dislike repeating someone so soon in this thread but I think I've probably played Shulman's In Search Of a Meaningful Moment the most in 2006 too.

It's a cracking CD, beautiful melodies, deep, hypnotic beats, engineering and production values are top-notch, and the final track is probably the best climax to a psy album I've heard.

P.S. I don't want to be entered into the competition. Only wanted to communicate what a great album it is. :)

P.S. I don't want to be entered into the competition. Only wanted to communicate what a great album it is.  :)

529013[/snapback]

You sure? If you won, you are welcome to nominate someone else to take your place.

Well for me, X-Dream - Panic In Paradise.

It's crossover of g' ol' goa and darker soundscapes that only X-Dream could execute.

All the tracks are carefully chosen and do not appear on other X-Dream's cds (or am I wrong?). This is ear-candy for any psyfan, from darker industrial grave diggers to fluffy goa candy ravers. :)

You can see it's well, "rare-ish" in discogs, BUT on ebay.de you can find it for 10 euros. So it's normally priced jewel, no-one should miss this!

Definitely something you can't get bored at very easily. In fact, the more you listen to it the more you "discover".

but I really have the piece, go ask Quazzi :) ).

529012[/snapback]

No worries. I really don't care about it truly, I was just trying to avoid people nominating

Killarrrrghhhh_GreatestHits_Disc2.mp3

as a choice.

No worries. I really don't care about it truly, I was just trying to avoid people nominating

Killarrrrghhhh_GreatestHits_Disc2.mp3

as a choice.

529022[/snapback]

:lol:

I just kinda wanted to give Quazzi an honorable mention - without him I'd not have this album ... it fitted at this place :)

Guest Astro Cortex

I've listened to a lot of music this year, but as I said before, there's no CD that I've listened to notably more than others. So I asked my dear friend audioscrobbler, who sadly couldn't tell me my most listened CD for this year, but at least since I registered there, which was last year. I hope this still counts ;)

So, according to audioscrobbler, my most listened to CD is:

Move D - Solitaire

A gorgeous piece of chilling ambient, this is an album that I could play almost any day, as it fits practically every mood I could be in. It's not a particularly challenging disc, but notabene, there's still much attention to details involved, and it stays interesting throughout its 63 minutes of playing time. Overall, it has a very smooth and warm atmosphere, and offers plenty of space you can immerse yourself in. One of my top 10 discs on the Fax label. :)

This is really a tough question, but in the end it boils down to two albums: Planum - Elaborate (http://www.discogs.com/release/532116) and v/A - Positive Alchemists Vol. 1 (http://www.discogs.com/release/568294)

I love the Planum album because it is melodic but far from being new-school goa (not that this would be bad, don't get me wrong) or full-on. It has a very unique sound, ranging from uplifting to either harsh melodies but always very emotional.

The emotions in the Positive Alchemists comp is also what fascinates me about the album. All the tracks are melodic and full-on but not in the usual copy/paste way but with a lot of old-school (well, IMHO of course) influences. The give me deep feelings and I have some pictures in my mind with every song, ranging from spring landscapes to people dancing in the night on a decorated dancefloor.

I've rated both albums with a 5 at discogs (or a straight 10/10 if you prefere that) because I really love every single track on them. Each of them is a real masterpiece and I also appreciate the way the tracks are combined on the CDs.

I'd say one of these:

Gaudium - Nordic Nature:

http://www.discogs.com/release/490914

Ooze - Where The Fields Never End

http://www.discogs.com/release/31741

Various - Prooved Vol. 2

http://www.discogs.com/release/449442

& for a very long time it used to be:

Element - Full Moon

http://www.discogs.com/release/51739

It's a difficult question because I try to listen to something different from my collection everyday. I'm listening to a Belgian lounge-cd at this very moment, yesterday I was in the mood for techno & d'n'b & last week Sisters of Mercy were on heavy rotation because I went to a see them live.

What the hell, maybe I just have too many good cd's :P

I hope this isn't strictly for psy stuff, which I don't listen to nearly as much as other electronic music. If it's not, then n.Ln - Astronomy for Children is my most-listened-to album so far this year. I've already mentioned it a few times in other threads, but it's lush, melodic and intricate IDM. And like a true fan-boy, I got him (Nyles Lannon) to sign my copy when I bought it from him.

If psy, then Colorbox - Train to Chroma City. I was listening to it a bunch already, then baas (Kenneth Abildgaard, or 1/2 of Colorbox) came around to the forum, which inspired me to keep listening to it. I finally took it out of my car's CD player after several weeks this afternoon. Speaking of, those of you who are interested in an interview with Kenneth will get one when he finishes remastering and uploading the Colorbox stuff - and maybe some newer stuff - to a new website in the approaching months.

Edit: If I win I'll be sure to pass along my prize to Charlie. ;)

I had a hard time thinking about this one, because I replay everything sometimes but then again I keep getting more and more music all the time, so I'll have to listen to it eventually.

But!

Finally I received both Flexitones - Joy Rider and Hi Fi Companions - Swingers in Paradise and I believe it's the last one I might have listened most times to, this year. But then again it might also be V/A - Mellowgrounds ...

I dunno, but does it really matter? All I want is to win this contest once and for all! :lol:

I've listened to a lot of music this year, but as I said before, there's no CD that I've listened to notably more than others. So I asked my dear friend audioscrobbler, who sadly couldn't tell me my most listened CD for this year, but at least since I registered there, which was last year. I hope this still counts ;)

So, according to audioscrobbler, my most listened to CD is:

Move D - Solitaire

A gorgeous piece of chilling ambient, this is an album that I could play almost any day, as it fits practically every mood I could be in. It's not a particularly challenging disc, but notabene, there's still much attention to details involved, and it stays interesting throughout its 63 minutes of playing time. Overall, it has a very smooth and warm atmosphere, and offers plenty of space you can immerse yourself in. One of my top 10 discs on the Fax label. :)

529059[/snapback]

That!! Is a very nice album B) I just bought it recently and it's already been listened to quite a bit and commented on by my friends (non psy / ambient heads) on how good it is.

Finally I received both Flexitones - Joy Rider and Hi Fi Companions - Swingers in Paradise and I believe it's the last one I might have listened most times to, this year. But then again it might also be V/A - Mellowgrounds ...

I dunno, but does it really matter? All I want is to win this contest once and for all!  :lol:

529241[/snapback]

Probably one of my most listened to tracks is Skyclad (no 3) on Hi-Fi Companions - Swingers in Paradise. I quite like the album although not that much but that track is one of the best ever IMO

My most listened to album...... that's tough. I listen to music for about 20 hours a day and a lot of it is background music while I'm working. Properly listening to though I would say that it's got to be Tripswitch - Circuit Breaker my comments on which can be found here

It's been played a lot by me ever since I bought & I usually try to vary what I listen to. This one though remains at the top of the pile :wub:

hey hey abasio: me thinks you have a great taste in chillout music! :) my favorite track might also be skyclad! nice one!

although, i must say i really like bin liner too...

And ehm, talking about Tripswitch, I'm listening to it as we speak and just now I discovered this quite trancey -beforelast- track, Viscous Nicey nice, creepy and psychedelic and freaky and even danceable. I might give this a spin when I'm gonna play next time.

Any more recommendations? Haven't bought a good chilled out album in months! (but then again, I haven't had any money either... hehe :lol: )

Other albums I would recommend you are

Recently

Puff Dragon - Sazanami

Androcell - Efflorescence

and from further back

OTT - Blumenkraft I didn't get into this one straight away but when I came back to it a year later, it absolutely blew me away.

Butterfly Dawn on Liquid Sound design also. I've played this A lot in the last 3 years.

These are top of the pile albums for me.

Since this is not limited strictly to psy trance, I will say (and highly recommend) the CD I've been listening to most this year so far is the Opener EP by a group called 8mm. They don't have a label, and do everything pretty much as independant/DIY as you can possibly get. And the music is frickin' great. Smoothed out stuff. They have a full length dropping later this year. (3 months from now, last I heard.) Check 'em out. http://www.myspace.com/8mm

I won't post a psy pick, as my opinions would be biased.

Last.fm says I've mostly (~100 listens to the tracks of) listened to:

Filteria - Heliopolis - no need to comment, I suppose.

Bluetech - Sines and Singularities - I love this album, very sweet and warm.

Solar Fields - Leaving Home - amazing soundscapes and yet another brilliant work from Solar Fields

Naked Tourist - Mad Different Methods - german power psy producers released @ Parvati

Fuzzion - Black Magic - could be compared with Kino Oko, minimal, original and interesting, however I found Kino Oko better

Aavepyora - Goddess Guerrilla B)

Electrypnose - Le Something - can't remind, actually... I find his works very similar and nothing really stands out, top quality music, though

Igneous - Skip Insect - mini repetative minimal, hypnotic from the first seconds, very powerfull and makes wonders on the dancefloor

James Reipas - Uwaga suomi midi-killarghs :)

Tegma - Around the World in 80 Minutes on the originality side it's weaker, compared to their previous albums, but it's got an interesting concept and production is awesome.

Vibrasphere - Archipelago - expected abit more, but it's Vibrasphere, so it can't be bad :) I imagine me standing on the top of the moutnain (very stepp, btw), so I can see the horizon in every direction for few km's... and there they go, massive Vibrasphere sounds, I can see them coming from the back to front, from left to right and I get an orgasm every time they come through me :)

SynSUN - Phoenix - the most listened to full on album of the year.

Loopus in Fabula - Big Ladies Bingo - listened to it 10 time maybe, but couldn't get into it... I'm not in the mood, I guess.

and now I'm enjoying KaSol =)

maybe a bit surprising but the cd probably have listened to most this year would be "4 carry nuts - mechanical age", just one of those cd's i had in my cd-box for quite a while until i really began listening to it and appreciating it (this is why i never sell cd's btw)

maybe a bit surprising but the cd probably have listened to most this year would be "4 carry nuts - mechanical age", just one of those cd's i had in my cd-box for quite a while until i really began listening to it and appreciating it (this is why i never sell cd's btw)

530722[/snapback]

Yeah that's why I never get rid of CDs I bought and didn't like. Some of my favourite CDs (OTT's Blumenkraft for example) I didn't relly like first time but listening to them again a few months or a year later, they suddenly click :D