Label: AlephZero (Israel)

Cat. #: AlephZ04

Date: 5 December 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’10” Bluetech - Enter The Lovely

02. 06’08” Bluetech - Condensation

03. 07’56” Bluetech - Leaving Winter Behind

04. 07’54” Bluetech - Forgiveness

05. 08’17” Shulman – First Came The Stars (Bluetech Remix)

06. 07’19” Pitch Black – Ape To Angel (Bluetech’s Evolution Remix)

07. 07’06” Bluetech - Airstream

08. 07’34” Bluetech – Dreamtime Lullaby

09. 07’29” Bluetech - Shimmer

10. 07’11” Bluetech – Wilderness

11. 03’05” Bluetech – A Garland Of Stars

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/8zdbh (all tracks!)

Review:

Mercurial downbeat…

American producer Evan ‘Bluetech’ Marc has gained worldwide recognition for his atmospheric, eclectic downtempo creations… His first two albums were widely praised – and for the most part I liked both of them… That being said, I must also say, that I don’t like everything this guy has released… Certain stuff seems to lack depth and sometimes I’ve found myself more than just a little bored when listening to Bluetech ambient… But hey, as I say, I like most of his stuff, and I’ve eagerly been awaiting this third album… After all, this is released on AlephZero which has fast become one of the leading outlets for high quality downbeat music…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Bluetech - Enter The Lovely

Enter the pleasure dome! This album starts exactly where Elementary Particles left off, with slow progressing, floating downbeat… Starts as ambient, but soon evolves into faster, trippier chill-out… The trademark Bluetech ‘digital singing’ is also present here… Lovely indeed!

#02: Bluetech – Condensation

Condensation means a billion different things… In physics it’s the process by which a vapour changes to a liquid… Or in psychology, the process by which a single symbol or word is associated with the emotional content of several, not necessarily related, ideas, feelings, memories, or impulses… Like when you’re dreaming! And I chose to interpret this, as the soundtrack to a lucid dream… Fragmented, dubby beats are accompanied by syncopated, high-pitched synth stabs, creating an epic, yet head-bounce friendly melody… It may sound simple at first, but give this some time to sink in, and you’re in for a treat… Sweet track!

#03: Bluetech – Leaving Winter Behind

I’m sure philosophers would have a field day trying to decipher the meaning behind the track title here, but I choose simply to see it as an ode to the spring… And oh my, what an ode! This is quite simply beautifully constructed music… On one hand it reminds me of the great works of Eno or Schulze and on the other hand, it reminds me of Aes Dana or Solar Fields… Soothing, floating, beautiful ambient… Amazing track!

#04: Bluetech – Forgiveness

Whereas the previous track was all about leaving the cold winter behind, this track feels much more winter-like… Arctic even! Icy-cold ambient – with the chill factor approaching minus 30 degrees Celsius… And this is where I start to loose interest – I mean, it’s not bad at all, but the lack of depth gets to me…

#05: Shulman – First Came The Stars (Bluetech Remix)

This track was originally on the first Shulman album Soundscapes And Modern Tales… A magnificent track and I’m happy to say that Bluetech treats it with the respect it deserves... A harmonic piece which pays tribute to the original, but still adding enough new flavour… I like the distinct psychedelic edge here… The original is a timeless masterpiece, and this remix is also pretty sweet, though it seems to loose a little direction towards the end… But nicey nice nevertheless!

#06: Pitch Black – Ape To Angel (Bluetech’s Evolution Remix)

Another remix here… This time the original was made by the Kiwi duo Pitch Black… I haven’t heard that one, so I can’t really tell you what was changed… What I can tell you though, is that this track is more on the experimental side of things – with rich electro and dub influences – and even some cut breakz&beats… Reminiscent of the latest Solar Field’s album in some parts… A very mature and somewhat introvert track that requires a lot of listens before really sinking in… Pretty good, but I don’t consider it, a stand-out track…

#07: Bluetech – Airstream

This track is easily more upbeat, though still with an edgy, mature held-back feel to it… Experimental to say the least – downtempo music with EDM influences all over the place… Spacy at times, inner city-street wise at others… Fragmented and complex – joyous and melancholy… All at the same time! Descriptions that would normally be contradictory, but it’s a different story with Bluetech… As with the previous track, this took me quite a while to feel comfortable with, but when it finally dissolves it’s really powerful… I wouldn’t mind if it was twice as long though!

#08: Bluetech – Dreamtime Lullaby

And now it’s time for a lullaby… A deep, dubby Bluetech lullaby! Progressing at an impressive pace, this track is essentially up-tempo ambient with a dreamy touch… Too fast for sleeping though, but for wake walking through lucid dreams, I’m sure this is a welcome companion…

#09: Bluetech – Shimmer

And now we’re digging even deeper… This is maybe the deepest track here, with ultra low frequencies and a very ganja-friendly bite… Multilayered and rich in texture, this is easily one of the most complex tracks here, but despite repeated listens I cannot seem to fully connect to it… It has amazing parts, but also too many muzak parts… What a shame!

#10: Bluetech – Wilderness

But I do not disappear, as Wilderness is another masterpiece! Oh yes, gone are the grimmest, introvert excursions – and we’re left with an uplifting, majestic piece of soothing, melodic ambient…Just the way I like it… Trademark Bluetech – in all its glory! One of the best tracks here…

#11: Bluetech – A Garland Of Stars

On the closing outro track, Evan is joined by Rena Jones on cello… And oh my, what wonderful music this is – sounds like a psychedelic version of something off the LOTR-soundtrack… Simply beautiful… It’s a shame is so short!

The hype surrounding this album was immense… And to some extend, I understand that – this is indeed a wonderful, unique album… Evan Bluetech’s music is as inimitable as it is unparalleled… And that’s really rare in this kind of music! Also, it’s very refreshing to experience a downbeat album that isn’t riddled with voice-samples… So in that sense, this album is indeed one of the most original released in 2005 – but that’s not the same as saying it’s among the best! It’s not! Some reviewers have dubbed this the album of the year – and called it the best thing since sliced bread... I’m going to have to disagree with that… It’s good, it’s even very good – but not *that* good…

I’m fully aware, that this is a mature album that requires several listens to really sink in… Very much so, and the listener is instantly rewarded after doing so, but I still think parts of this are too much like elevator music… Dare I say the b-word – boring? Yes, I dared… I know, this might be sacrilege to some people, but that’s how I feel… That being said let me also stress that the good tracks here are VERY good… And I’ve even rated half the tracks as favourites! I just wish the whole album was like that…

The artwork is top drawer as always with AlephZero – and the mastering by Shulman sounds absolutely top notch to me too… The whole package! Anyway, a very mature album by Bluetech here – that’s guaranteed to suit the taste of a wide array of people within ambient/downtempo circles… Enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 3(!), 5, 7, 10(!), 11

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Bluetech: http://www.bluetechonline.com

Aleph Zero: http://www.aleph-zero.info

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/576739

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/dl5tv

Amboworld: http://tinyurl.com/8v5k3

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/a8uul

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/7d3zq

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/8b3kp

CD Baby: http://tinyurl.com/d6jfe

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/7kd9z

• 3 weeks later...

Bluetech - Sines and Singularities (AlephZero, December 2005)

At first, this album didn't manage to get under my skin 100%. I suppose I was still hooked on his earlier two albums and I wasn't ready to move to the next level yet.

As I was on the bus to go to Switzerland (before X-mas), I gave this album like two listens, and it didn't get through to me. I liked a few tracks, but some were just ok to almost annoying. I am a fan of Bluetech, and naturally I concluded that I was too excited about my trip to Switzerland to have the brain for downtempo music.

This morning (one month later), I woke up really pissed off; I hadn't slept well, and too little, so naturally, in the morning, all these old angers came to me. Hell, even a bad relationship came back to me and I got angry with the guy. I came to work, and felt like hearing track #5. So I put on the CD, and whoa. The timing was perfect this time! In a matter of minutes I moved on from anger to peace and then almost tears. Wtf?

Yes, this is a new level. Bluetech entered a new level in his life, musically and probably personally too. If the first 2 albums have been labeled as "smart music, playful melodies, liquid, but cold sounds", then I must say that here we have a new level, an evolution. Evan gave people what they wanted: this one is still smart, still playful, still liquid, but now it's warm and emotional. I call it sweet chill out music, not just downtempo.

I could not say that we find a change of style here, you can still recognise his tracks out of 100. But we have a different type of variation. Every track has something specific and gives the whole album the feeling that you're travelling through various atmospheres, emotions, decos and sets. You can find yourself "chilling" in bed with your beloved one, or chilling in the grass while smoking with friends at a festival, or chilling in the car/train while travelling to exciting places, or chilling at home with close person in semi-dark room with a glass of wine, or chilling on the top of a mountain, watching the view and feeling one with nature, or chilling in a boat on a lake, or chilling under a waterfall, etc, etc.

This album has the purpose of spreading good mood, emotions, and with me it succeded. This music has gotten under my skin, and I'm happy. Evan did it again. It grew on me faster than I expected, and I am sure it will have this effect on other people as well. I don't want to say that Evan has matured as an artist, cause he'll probably surprise us; I'm sure he will take us to more new levels in the future.

Chill out music makes people better, it is medicine for the brain and drug for the soul, and Bluetech has learned his chemistry lesson pretty good. I will end my review by quoting him:

“Music is a healing process for me on a number of levels. I believe personal healing is the only way to change the world... I guess I'm trying to change the world...”

Thanks. :)

*gives the CD one another spin*

Im listening to this album now for like the 5th time. While I feel its a really good album, it's just not getting through to me. It has everything I like in this style, the beats are good, there are nice floaty sounds, the base comes through nicely on my home stereo and beautifully through me headphone. All the ingredients are there but I feel a little dissapointed when I listen to it. Maybe its a mood thing. Is this music so perfect that my brain has to be tuned into the axact frequency to enjoy it fully. I hope not, I've kind of given up on my brain doing what I want it to.

I listened to Makyo's Yakshini album last night and while I think the quality of the album as a whole was not as good as this one, it hit me int the right way! I know this will hit me at some point but, DAMN IT!! Why can't it be right now.

I came to work, and felt like hearing track #5. So I put on the CD, and whoa. The timing was perfect this time! In a matter of minutes I moved on from anger to peace and then almost tears. Wtf?

Exactly the same happens to me with this album...i can't believe how music can affect me so much...bluetech became my favorite artist after this one...

This is a nice chill/melodic downtempo album, maybe Bluetech's best even. I really like some of the melodies and the way he combines them..

9/10

“Music is a healing process for me on a number of levels. I believe personal healing is the only way to change the world... I guess I'm trying to change the world...”

That's pretty much what I believe as well... :)

Shit yeah!

This one finally clicked.

I stuck it on at work when I was hungover and feeling shit and pretending to be useful and all the quality just got under my skin and into the middle of my diseased brain. It was nice! I like.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... sounds promising, thanks Moni! :) I've bought it and listend to it quite a few times and it seemed so much colder and less dubby than the first two albums which I absolutely love and have heard a great many times, also while tripping and they've helped me through some deep, emotional and very special moments. That's why I've been kinda disappointed with S&S so far, but I see there's still some hope. Nice! :)

[edit] Ok, i keep on trying and trying but it just doesn't work as well as the first two albums did. I don't know why, the songs don't really stand out that much. It still beats a lot of psychill-bums but it's just not quite good enough to make a difference, I'm afraid. Ah well, too bad, I would still buy this because the cd's look so damn nice next to each other in my cd-case. Artwork kicks a lot ass! :)

• 6 months later...

I dig bluetech.. but i just can't get into this one. I like his first album, and his Elementary Particles EP.. but this one just seems to forced. I can't really enjoy it for some reason. Nice production and artwork though

606325[/snapback]

yeah, that is exactly my point. And I can't figure out why! Maybe less heart and soul put into this one? It's well produced, it's definitely bluetech but on the other hand the songs don't catch me as much as the first two albums did... weird. :huh:

yeah, that is exactly my point. And I can't figure out why! Maybe less heart and soul put into this one? It's well produced, it's definitely bluetech but on the other hand the songs don't catch me as much as the first two albums did... weird.  :huh:

606385[/snapback]

give it time...ive had this one for months now and only recently started listening to it semi-regularly when i fall asleep at night...

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice sounding but nothing great. I'm not impressed. There other stuff is more enjoyable and appealing. I'm comparing their own previous work to this 2005 release. And naturally, the more one hears something it often grows because you're putting energy into it!

Some tracks I find boring and downright irritating... they're just blah. It's the way the song is created, the sounds. The rhythms and mixing of the sounds on this album are generally less interesting and catchy relative to their previous work.

Tracks 1 and 2 for starters are annoying and repetitive sounding.

Track 3 is the FIRST song that actually sounds pleasent and decent.

I mean, did it take a fucking enema for this album to improve?? Aparently not. Track 4 sounds OKAY. It's packed with slow echoed particle effects, dropped over beats and little cut-off tunes. It sounds more interesting towards the second half. Their style is unique alright... but unique doesn't mean good or bad... it's what you do with your style that counts, and they don't seem to develop and bring out songs nearly as much as they could have on this album it seems.

Track 5 seems to go on for far too long with those skipping sounds but it improves and something about it sounds very catchy, touching.

Tracks 6, 7, 8.. are just that interesting or captivating IMO. I'm bored by this. Some of this sounds experimental which would be great if it actually was great.

Track 9 sounds better, more catchy to me... it finally has some catchy, pretty melodies that compliment each other. The pace is better... the echoes are graceful. It's very peaceful and this actually sounds pretty.

Track 10 is interesting, different. It's more thoughtful sounding. The sounds in this song actually seem to convey emotion and bring out emotion (mood setting) in the listener, at least to me. I wish more songs had more emphases on creating emotion and feeling, to connect with the listener on a deeper level.

Track 11 is also interesting, peaceful.. It's very slow but almost enchanting. I don't know. I don't think it's that good. It's very short and could have developed into something really beautiful and deep, but whatever. It's certainly one of the better songs here.

Overall, few songs on this album sound good to me. I don't find any songs great here but this isn't bad either. Several songs sound very uninteresting and lacking in "something" such as soul/feeling maybe?...better structure/development and heart. There sure are some beautiful, touching moments/parts on this album. It's too bad those parts/moments (better tracks) are so few to me.

SAMPLES:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5300

• 4 months later...

Love this release! Id give it a 9/10.

Evan plays a hell of a live set too.

I had quite a roller coaster with this album!

First I didn't like it!

Then I loved it

After that, I found it boring & forgot about it completely.

After a long time not listening to it I loved it again.

So a wierd release you might dig or not but you should give it a chance!

• 1 year later...

Well this album for me is really really really good, i mean, i really loved the first 2 cd album, but in there 3tyh album, we see

a big evolution imo. i found it really complex, perfect symmetric kind of structure in the sound, its squares

and lines and schema wow, IDM at its best. this is for sure, bluetech are masters of IDM.

this album is a 10/10 album, i dont know what it misses for you guys to say that some song are boring

because in the year 2005 it was the best of all the year imo, this is an incredible album, and its rare than i say that!

• 10 months later...

While i was lsstenning to this album it strangely passed near me. The only track i noticed was Shulman remix.

Other releases from Bluetech had more magnetism and evoked certain emotions. Maybe i just need to listen to it few more times.

yeah, that is exactly my point. And I can't figure out why! Maybe less heart and soul put into this one? It's well produced, it's definitely bluetech but on the other hand the songs don't catch me as much as the first two albums did... weird. Posted Image

^ this +

less catchy melodies in this one, the last track is very nice though