Psychedelic rock?

MrAnarchy

A few days ago I listened to Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of The Moon" and was absolutely baffled so I checked out more of their earlier albums like " A Saucerfull of Secrets" and "The Piper At The Gates of Dawn".

I have never heard such music! Some parts even reminded me of our beloved psytrance. :)

Anyway my question is if there are any other bands that make such music? I know just for Funkadelic... Oh and do you by any chance know a artists that makes such beautiful guitar solo music like the "Maggot Brain"?

Hawkwind is one of the originals and brought to life Ozric Tentacles and Motorhead

The definition of psychedelic rock can be quite broad

I find music like Mogwai to be extremely psychedelic rock

Blur's album "13" is fantastic, most Ween albums (The Pod, Pure Guava, quebec)

Maybe Younger Brother

John Frusciante's solo albums are awesome and have a range of sounds, some quite psychedelic. Same with Graham Coxon.

My project, Fried Kale, is heavily influenced by these sounds but I consider it to be Nu-Grebo music

Faith No More or Mr Bungle

all pink floyd is great. but yeah, the piper at the gates of dawn, a saucerful of secrets (let there be more light!) and ummagumma are the most psychedelic.

the dark side of the moon, meddle, atom heart mother, animals and wish you were here are more sophisticated than the former but imho even better for most occasions. they tend more towards prog rock than pure psychedelic rock

for psychedelia i recommend grateful dead (you immediately hear that they played on acid most of the time), the doors or maybe jefferson airplane, or even the beatles (if you choose the right tracks).

if you fancy a nice blend of psychedelic prog rock (like dark side), you shouldn't miss king crimson, genesis (they made really good albums before phil collins got in charge and turned them into a pop band), the ozrics of course (but any psy head should know them anyway) and jethro tull (if a little folk influences don't turn you away). if it can also be a little jazzy soft machine might be worth a try.

but none of those (except the ozrics) make as much use of synths and electronic soundscapes. if you want to go down that direction with psychedelic music and don't care so much about the rock bit, you should try tangerine dream.

• Like 1

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland is a very good rock album where some tracks are psychedelic. The instrumentation is basically guitars and drums (and vocals) rather than the electronic effects you might hear with Pink Floyd.

For a more downtempo vibe (and electronic soundscape) you might consider Pat Metheny - As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. Metheny's more of a jazz musician.

Shaolin Wooden Men "Supermindway"

Cornelius "Fantasma" "Point" and "Sensuous"

Sister Machine Gun "Torture Technique" and "Burn"

Pigface "Fook"

Kingston Wall

Verve "Blue" and "Urban Hymns"

Mint Julep

Joy Wants Eternity

Polyphonic Spree

Ad Astra

White Fang

Donovan