Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Lightforce    60

I changed the home page, tell me if something bothers you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60
1 hour ago, Richpa said:

Great work!

Could you please update the link for the Neogoa page. You can use our official website or Bandcamp page :)

Thanks :)

Done :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dhollmusik    14
On 5/5/2015 at 2:21 PM, Lightforce said:

 
Here is the link for the English version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7po6dz18w4e0rm/Psytrance%20(EN).pdf?dl=0

Fantastic work, Lightforce!  Yes, this psy-trance thing is endlessly fascinating.  So many branches, so many worlds.

I would say the Psykovsky - Ksolntsu album comes under experimental or hi-tech.  It's not very darkpsy.

Interesting how Juno Reactor come in under 3 or 4 different styles.  I wish more artists would experiment with their sound for different albums.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60
On 12/6/2019 at 12:31 AM, dhollmusik said:

Fantastic work, Lightforce!  Yes, this psy-trance thing is endlessly fascinating.  So many branches, so many worlds.

I would say the Psykovsky - Ksolntsu album comes under experimental or hi-tech.  It's not very darkpsy.

Interesting how Juno Reactor come in under 3 or 4 different styles.  I wish more artists would experiment with their sound for different albums.

Thanks for these words. Your comment about Ksointsu made me listening to it again and I changed my mind, I think you're right and I moved this album in experimental :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thefreewave    1

I was looking through this forum and came across this thread and your pdf and i must say it makes things MUCH easier to classify the different psytrance genres than EVER before. :wub: Personally it would be nice to have the other sections (origins, more examples) with their retrospective subgenre sections but I can understand that it allows people to go through the basics first before it gets that much more complex.

I've been working on my own project for breaking down and explaining genres in chronological cd length playlists for just over 10 years and its clear this next year I should spend the time on trance and psytrance and going more in depth with them as you have illustrated and exploring the subgenres a whole lot more. Most of those lists are old and I've added onto them rather than break them apart into different lists like Hardcore and Drum & Bass. Anyway your lists are so comprehensive I may need to go through my existing ones and see what i may have missed out on.  Most of mine were based on multiple sources and posts on this forum a couple times, like with Full-On. Anyway it will be good to compare and contrast and then look into subgenres i haven't checked out yet.

I'm looking into Nitzonot this week. I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices. If you're up for feedback on improvements I'd love to help. ;):+1:Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts of that. [edit: update]

I was actually looking into Psycore when i found your thread. That still seems a little under-documented as a whole but it seems like the black sheep of the psy/hardcore families. Anyway I just wanted to first say thank you and also show what I've compiled on my side of the internet.;) Hopefully I'll be catching up on Psychedlic Trance all through 2020. Anyway glad to meet you and thanks again!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60
On 12/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, thefreewave said:

I was looking through this forum and came across this thread and your pdf and i must say it makes things MUCH easier to classify the different psytrance genres than EVER before. :wub: Personally it would be nice to have the other sections (origins, more examples) with their retrospective subgenre sections but I can understand that it allows people to go through the basics first before it gets that much more complex.

I've been working on my own project for breaking down and explaining genres in chronological cd length playlists for just over 10 years and its clear this next year I should spend the time on trance and psytrance and going more in depth with them as you have illustrated and exploring the subgenres a whole lot more. Most of those lists are old and I've added onto them rather than break them apart into different lists like Hardcore and Drum & Bass. Anyway your lists are so comprehensive I may need to go through my existing ones and see what i may have missed out on.  Most of mine were based on multiple sources and posts on this forum a couple times, like with Full-On. Anyway it will be good to compare and contrast and then look into subgenres i haven't checked out yet.

I'm looking into Nitzonot this week. I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices. If you're up for feedback on improvements I'd love to help. ;):+1:Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts of that. [edit: update]

I was actually looking into Psycore when i found your thread. That still seems a little under-documented as a whole but it seems like the black sheep of the psy/hardcore families. Anyway I just wanted to first say thank you and also show what I've compiled on my side of the internet.;) Hopefully I'll be catching up on Psychedlic Trance all through 2020. Anyway glad to meet you and thanks again!

Hey, thank you for these words and nice to meet you too.
For sure, I'm always up for discussions and improving ;)

On 12/31/2019 at 7:54 AM, thefreewave said:

I'm seeing many things i agree with but other albums seems a bit weaker choices.

That's to say? Explain me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thefreewave    1

So here's the set i just compiled for https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScientist/rym-ultimate-box-set-nitzhonot/

I kept the quotes and scores from Agneton and Psygreg seems like the great experts for it.  I guess the examples Zed Reactor and Space Buddha fit the style but are a bit average in comparison to some of the other options. Ideally it would be nice to have the best of the best albums under selections.

I don't know how far you've gotten into Psycore. I've got a bit of a list going but its pretty hard to separate and define it apart from Hi-Tech https://www.discogs.com/lists/Psycore/544591 It's s start....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120

Sounds cool gonna download it. ^_^

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tsotsi    152

@Lightforce I've only just started going through your website but its pretty amazing man, well done. The whole format is really cool, also i thought i was never going to enjoy hitek but 'Seven Strategy - Sampling Singularity' is just the first of a whole bunch of music that i'm about to discover. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psyjafo    0

@Lightforce Hi there! I have been following your psytrance story and compilation for some years now, great work and thank you so much for it.

You seem to be very acquainted with people of the industry, both producers, artists and DJs. Yet, this past recent years I have had trouble classifying the style and sub-style of some known names in the psytrance festival scene. 
To some degree they all seem to fall under some Full on kind of substyle due to what seems a rolling bassline, yet I see many people struggling to agree on its classification.

How can you classify the recent works of artists like (in no particular order): Ajja, Tristan, Whiptongue, Jumpstreet, Fungus Funk, Burn In Noise, Avalon, Regan, Mad Tribe, Outsiders,  Sonic Species, Dickster, Braincell, Earthspace, Earthling, Electric Universe, even Astrix... etc

I know a lot of these that I mentioned sound fundamentally different from each other, but I struggle to label them. Is Fungus Funk Forest? Where do you put Ajja and Whiptongue as well? What about Earthspace and Electric Universe for example? And Tristan, is the UK Psytrance a thing?

Some of them I've heard being called, Full On Twilight, Full On Power, some Forest, some just regular Full On, some regular Psytrance.

I would love some clarification on this. Many thanks!
Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60

@Psyjafo Hi, welcome on Psynews and thanks for your support :)

First of all, about the rolling bassline it has been popularized by Full-On but most recent Psytrance productions has a rolling bassline too so it's not peculiar to Full-On. For the classification of the artists you listed I'd say :

- Ajja is usually just Psytrance on his LPs at the exception of "Spira Mirabilis" which is somewhere between Psychedelic Downtempo and Deep Trance.
- Tristan as you said it, it's UK Psytrance and I think I will end to add it in the PDF. For this one I'd suggest you to ask to @Ormion, he's a better connoisseur than me on this sub-style.
- Whiptongue, from what I can hear by now on his EP ("Oscillate") I'd say UK Psytrance too.
- Jumpstreet I'd say Hi-Tech, but a slower kind of Hi-Tech compared to what we can hear most of the time in Hi-Tech.
- Fungus Funk from his last EP, "Fractal Funk", seems to has kept a part of his "proto-Hi-Techish" Darkpsy sound on leads and FX but, not surprisignly (this EP was released on Sangoma and Timecode records after all ), has a Twilight bassline on the 2 first tracks.
- Burn in Noise, from his last album ("We Stand"), it depends on the tracks, but there's blends between these sub-styles : sometimes it's UK Psyrance, sometimes a kind of slower Hi-Tech, sometimes Full-On, and some other Progressive Psytrance and even Psychedelic Downtempo/Deep Trance.
- Avalon, from his last album ("Rise"), it's UK Psytrance most of the time but sometimes there's blends with Full-On.
- Regan just made compilations so it woud be too long to classify each tracks from different artists.
- Mad Tribe on "Superstar" : a kind of "Full-Onish" UK Psytrance.
- Outsiders on "Be As You Are" : most of the time Full-On. UK Psytrance, Progressive Psytrance or Psychedelic Downtempo on some tracks with featurings.
- Sonic Species on "Tokyo Sunrise (Transient Disorder Remix)" : "Full-Onish" UK Psytrance too.
- Dickster (when he's alone) on "Inebriatti" : UK Psytrance.
- Braincell used to be Full-On back in the days (Transformation Of Reality :wub:), now he's UK Psytrance with some hints of Full-On on his last album, "Gaia".
- Earthspace on "Machines Reflecting Love EP" : UK Psytrance.
- Earthling on "Radio Gaia" sometimes Full-On, sometimes UK Psytrance.
- Electric Universe on "Lakshmi" like on his last LP "Journeys Into Outer Space" : Full-On.
- Astrix on "He.Art" : "Full-Onish" Progressive Psytrance.

I might be wrong but I think there's nothing Forest in the artists you listed ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120

Can someone point me to some essential Twillight music? Which really has defined the style. I wanna know how the bassline sounds etc. I don't think I've heard this style yet. Perhaps somewhat on Psysex-2020 album? Because I remember thinking it had some "Dark Psy" elements, but was told it was Twillight elements or something to that effect. I'm a bit out of the loop nowadays with regards to todays Psy Trance scene/Subgenres, I did listen more to Psy/Dark Psy/Prog and some South African psy etc around 2008 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ormion    435
3 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Can someone point me to some essential Twillight music? Which really has defined the style. I wanna know how the bassline sounds etc. I don't think I've heard this style yet. Perhaps somewhat on Psysex-2020 album? Because I remember thinking it had some "Dark Psy" elements, but was told it was Twillight elements or something to that effect. I'm a bit out of the loop nowadays with regards to todays Psy Trance scene/Subgenres, I did listen more to Psy/Dark Psy/Prog and some South African psy etc around 2008 or so.

Azax Syndrom, Khopat, Sidhartha, Tryambaka, Phatmatix, Seroxat, Killer Buds. All of them are classic examples of Twilight.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120
6 minutes ago, Ormion said:

Azax Syndrom, Khopat, Sidhartha, Tryambaka, Phatmatix, Seroxat, Killer Buds. All of them are classic examples of Twilight.

Thanks much appreciated! :+1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120

So I went to an outdoors party tonight, and I'm a bit perplexed with regards to the styles they played. Is this Twillight or Dark-Psy? Or are the two terms interchangeable?

 https://streamable.com/vf6xxp

https://streamable.com/lcqin

Track-ID if possible :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ormion    435
4 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

So I went to an outdoors party tonight, and I'm a bit perplexed with regards to the styles they played. Is this Twillight or Dark-Psy? Or are the two terms interchangeable?

 https://streamable.com/vf6xxp

https://streamable.com/lcqin

Track-ID if possible :)

That sounds like UK Psytrance. But UK Psytrance is already somewhere between twilight and darkpsy so I wouldn't sweat too much about it.

I made a YouTube playlist couple of years ago, I hope it helps.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thefreewave    1
On 7/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, Ormion said:

Azax Syndrom, Khopat, Sidhartha, Tryambaka, Phatmatix, Seroxat, Killer Buds. All of them are classic examples of Twilight.

I'm a bit mystified here. I know Ormion has been very outspoken on what great Twilight is in all his posts on this forum but yet his recommendations aren't matched by what is on the pdf but they seem a little closer to the psytranceguide stub.....As a newcomer its hard to know what to go by when people are given very different answers by 3 experts......

I've copied over the pdf recommendations into a chronological list (s.african on second half, do most people separate them or lump them together?)  https://www.discogs.com/lists/Twilight-Psytrance/603302 and all the source links i found so far....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120
20 hours ago, thefreewave said:

I'm a bit mystified here. I know Ormion has been very outspoken on what great Twilight is in all his posts on this forum but yet his recommendations aren't matched by what is on the pdf but they seem a little closer to the psytranceguide stub.....As a newcomer its hard to know what to go by when people are given very different answers by 3 experts......

I've copied over the pdf recommendations into a chronological list (s.african on second half, do most people separate them or lump them together?)  https://www.discogs.com/lists/Twilight-Psytrance/603302 and all the source links i found so far....

Well it gets even more confusing here in Sweden, were "Forest Trance/Scandinavian Forest Trance?" or whatever they call it is popular as well. Also very dark, perhaps more intensely shroomy/organic/trippy? I think this labeling has become a bit redundant, as most of this could fit under the same umbrella, namely a darker form of Psytrance/Dark Psy/music for the night sets/Twilight music/whatever. :) The people at the party sure as hell don't know that the tracks played on the same night/in the same set are "different subgenres". It's all night music, darker in the mood, some darker than others, but hey that's just variation at play, which is inevitable. It's not like there is a degree system/scale for how dark the music should be in order to pertain to any of these subgenres.

I think what this is about really is slight geographical differences/touches to the same genre (Dark Psy). Which has then for some unknown reason been labeled as different subgenres. It's like before when we within the old school Goa Trance scene had, "UK Goa Trance" Israeli Psytrance/Goa Trance" "Swedish Goa Trance" "Italian Goa Trance" etc. Very different in style for sure at times, but surely belonging to the same genre. And made even more confusing due to how it was marketed. For example many of the acts we today categorize as Goa Trance from the UK, was marketed as Psy Trance, simply because the term Goa Trance had fallen out of fashion.

I also think the music will be labeled according to what record label it was released on, "oh it was released on that label" then it must be yadayada, because they focus on yadayada.

I'm almost getting the impression that the artists don't want be associated with the older term Dark Psy? And that the newer subgenres are more in vogue, hence more suitable to be associated with? Like a marketing hype/buzz word. So what happened with Dark Psy and Dark Full On? Did those genres cease to exist when people changed their preference/style description of the subgenre they identify with and the scene/scenes they participate in? For example I remember that Goa Gil was a household DJ name first with Goa Trance, then with Dark Psy. What does he play/promote today? Any of the above genres? Or maybe he quit, I have no clue. :D Perhaps it became to confusing with the subgenre-nitpicking.

I have this scenario playing in my head while reflecting upon this topic. I Imagine some party people arriving at a forest/outdoors party here in Sweden, and asking either where the Techno floor is, or where the Psytrance floor is. Okey they'll be guided in the appropriate direction, and upon reaching the Psytrance floor, the psy fan might say hmm this is too cheesy, it's full-on! I want darker music. OK just hold on, the next DJ will play that in an hour. I don't think it matters then if the DJ plays Twilight, Dark-Psy, Forest Trance, British Psytrance, or South African Psytrance. The person will most likely be satisfied with the dark music on offer, unless the person is a psynews forum member that is. :D Then the PDF shared here will be taken out, and the style identified and classified accordingly. So therefore I think this interchangeable labeling/terminology is quite unnecessary for most people attending these parties.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60
7 hours ago, thefreewave said:

I'm a bit mystified here. I know Ormion has been very outspoken on what great Twilight is in all his posts on this forum but yet his recommendations aren't matched by what is on the pdf but they seem a little closer to the psytranceguide stub.....As a newcomer its hard to know what to go by when people are given very different answers by 3 experts......

I've copied over the pdf recommendations into a chronological list (s.african on second half, do most people separate them or lump them together?)  https://www.discogs.com/lists/Twilight-Psytrance/603302 and all the source links i found so far....

I think Ormion just gave classic Twilight Psytrance productions, all kind of Twilight confonded, not only those who fits in the South African one. I don't see anything contradictory with what is put in the pdf :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ormion    435
19 hours ago, thefreewave said:

I'm a bit mystified here. I know Ormion has been very outspoken on what great Twilight is in all his posts on this forum but yet his recommendations aren't matched by what is on the pdf but they seem a little closer to the psytranceguide stub.....As a newcomer its hard to know what to go by when people are given very different answers by 3 experts......

I've copied over the pdf recommendations into a chronological list (s.african on second half, do most people separate them or lump them together?)  https://www.discogs.com/lists/Twilight-Psytrance/603302 and all the source links i found so far....

Twilight is basically harder, fatter, more aggressive full on. You can have many different sounds in the twilight subgenre. For example Sidhartha or Tryon are more fat, meanwhile Seroxat or Azax Syndrom are like harder israeli full on. 

I didn't mention any South African artists because they have their own unique sound even though they're technically twilight (in fact the term twilight has been coined by South African artists).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thefreewave    1
10 hours ago, Lightforce said:

I think Ormion just gave classic Twilight Psytrance productions, all kind of Twilight confonded, not only those who fits in the South African one. I don't see anything contradictory with what is put in the pdf :)

 

PsyTrance Guide
Night Full-on Also known as: Twilight, South African Full-on
BPM range: 145-150

Night Full-on is the evil twin of Full-on: it has the same fast-paced bass and leads but with a darker vibe and twisted, synthetic sounds. On the festivals, Twilight Psy typically sound during the night-time, hence the name.

Note: probably, Night Full-on and Twilight will be separated is the future version of this guide. Please read more in the blog.????:wacko:

Examples:
CPU — Processing Unit (Original Mix)
Azax Syndrom — Flawless Victory (Original Mix)
Alienn — Goodfellas (Original Mix)
Absolum & Outer Signal — Get Up Now (Original Mix)

Notable artists:

Absolum, (on pdf)
Brainwash, (not on pdf)
CPU, (not on pdf)
Ex-Gen, (not on pdf)
Outer Signal, (not on pdf)
Scorb, (not on pdf)
Pitch Hikers, (on pdf)
Shift, (not on pdf, on a few of the comps)
Stereopanic (not on pdf)
Notable labels: Nexus Media, 3D Vision, Hypergate Records, Lysergic Records, Nutek Records, Mechanik Records

Ormion Recommendations:"
Azax Syndrom, (not on pdf)
Khopat, (not on pdf)
Sidhartha, (on pdf)
Tryambaka, (on pdf)
Phatmatix, (on pdf)
Seroxat, (not on pdf)
Killer Buds. (not on pdf)
All of them are classic examples of Twilight."

Check also albums by
Tryon, (not on pdf)
Wizack Twizack, (not on pdf)
Dark Nebula. (not on pdf)

I guess this itemizes what IS and isn't on the pdf. again 3 different sources showing off differing recommendations. Hence the confusion on what to go by......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstralSphinx    120
52 minutes ago, thefreewave said:

 

PsyTrance Guide
Night Full-on Also known as: Twilight, South African Full-on
BPM range: 145-150

Night Full-on is the evil twin of Full-on: it has the same fast-paced bass and leads but with a darker vibe and twisted, synthetic sounds. On the festivals, Twilight Psy typically sound during the night-time, hence the name.

Note: probably, Night Full-on and Twilight will be separated is the future version of this guide. Please read more in the blog.????:wacko:

Examples:
CPU — Processing Unit (Original Mix)
Azax Syndrom — Flawless Victory (Original Mix)
Alienn — Goodfellas (Original Mix)
Absolum & Outer Signal — Get Up Now (Original Mix)

Notable artists:

Absolum, (on pdf)
Brainwash, (not on pdf)
CPU, (not on pdf)
Ex-Gen, (not on pdf)
Outer Signal, (not on pdf)
Scorb, (not on pdf)
Pitch Hikers, (on pdf)
Shift, (not on pdf, on a few of the comps)
Stereopanic (not on pdf)
Notable labels: Nexus Media, 3D Vision, Hypergate Records, Lysergic Records, Nutek Records, Mechanik Records

Ormion Recommendations:"
Azax Syndrom, (not on pdf)
Khopat, (not on pdf)
Sidhartha, (on pdf)
Tryambaka, (on pdf)
Phatmatix, (on pdf)
Seroxat, (not on pdf)
Killer Buds. (not on pdf)
All of them are classic examples of Twilight."

Check also albums by
Tryon, (not on pdf)
Wizack Twizack, (not on pdf)
Dark Nebula. (not on pdf)

I guess this itemizes what IS and isn't on the pdf. again 3 different sources showing off differing recommendations. Hence the confusion on what to go by......

I'm listening to those artists now on youtube and spotify for the first time except if there's some overlap with the tracks on Ormions youtube examples of the style, anyone has good playlist on spotify?

What I've found so far that I really like are these  DJ-mixes:

First two are Dark Psy/Twilight

and one with Dark Forest stuff:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lightforce    60

@thefreewave Ormion just gave examples of Twilight classics. My PDF is not about giving classics but about giving examples of albums for each sub-styles after having explained each of them. I could perfectly have included his examples in the Twilight pages ^_^

P.S.: about the list on discogs, although Wild by Absolum is undoubtedly a "proto-Twilight" album, it rather fits in Psytrance category (the one I described in the PDF) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...