Sharks - are you scared of them?

Shpongled247

So I surfed a lot in my life, but honestly haven't for about 6 years or so now. A big reason for that is I started getting completely unnerving feelings when I was out there.

Whenever the water wasnt crystal clear around me, and it often isn't, I basically began getting extremely fearful and would sometimes just come straight out of the water..

Now nothing bought this on, I only ever had one incident and I didn't even see a shark, other ppl did..

I know statistically it is highly highly unlikely for something to happen but I could never shake that feeling. I'm starting to miss the water and want to get back out there again when I'm home..

Any ideas on how to get over it or is everyone a pussy like me? Heh :)

Not really. I don't remember any shark attack in Greece, so we can swim with no fear here. I understand that living in a place with known shark activity may be scary, but like you said it's more likely to get hit by a bus than get attacked by a shark. Just go for it and never watch Jaws again.

When it gets dark and the waters get opaque I always have a lingering feeling that one maybe close by. I love the water and swimming/diving but sharks scare the living shit out of me. I saw one on a dive off the coast of Yucatan peninsula, it was a good 15m away from me. He was doing his own thing, not very interested in my presence thankfully.

I am not scared of sharks. I am scared of human beings, on the beach, on the streets...dangerous animals that kill for some coins. Or for no other reason at all.

SFT

Never saw one so no point to be scared i think

Hehe, see that view doesnt really work for me! It is the fact that you probably wont see them before its too late that freaks me out! And just because you don't see something doesn't mean its not there, haha. I wish i could think like that! :)

I am not scared of sharks. I am scared of human beings, on the beach, on the streets...dangerous animals that kill for some coins. Or for no other reason at all.

I can defend myself against a human being better than against any large shark. Also human beings usually give a warning sign of attack. Sharks = No warning signs.

sharks? no. but i'm also not a surfer. my one experience with a surfboard is not likely to ever get repeated :)

but i'm kinda afraid of box jellyfish, since i've seen a girl rushed to the hospital two years ago on the island of koh chang after coming into contact with a tentacle of one while swimming on the same beach i was at.

i also got an irrational fear of stonefish lurking in the muddy sands :)

Guest D N H

I can defend myself against a human being better than against any large shark. Also human beings usually give a warning sign of attack. Sharks = No warning signs.

Humans have proven themselves much more dangerous than animals. Without any further thought, humans are the great danger for the earth.

For example, few days ago i tried to scare some kids who were hunting few kittens with big rocks in their hands in a neighborhood, i doubt it affect them. Can you imagine it? 14-15 years old boys trying to hunt down small kittens by hitting them with hard rocks!

See, humans from a young age become a menace for their environment, depending on their spiritual level, as an animal's aggressiveness depends on physical conditions, which is more learnable 'n straight.

So, on subject, most shark species are not dangerous for man.

When I first saw this topic I was going to post a picture of the shark they found on a NY subway but the forum kept giving me the 'not allowed to post that kind of link error' so I gave up.

Your loss

Shark week promotes fear more than FoxNews. It's scary out there proving that imagination is oftentimes more powerful and frightening than reality. And guess what...it gets worse when you have kids. I used to be in the water a lot and just came to the realization that if it's your time, it's your time. Shark, bus, or purple dildo (funny story from the OR).

Mdk

Only if they have laser beams attached to their heads...

But seriously, with 100 million killed every year, they have a better reason to be scared of us.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/03/01/100-million-sharks-killed-every-year-study-shows-on-eve-of-international-conference-on-shark-protection/

Fin soup? WTF? It's like hunting American bison for its skin or rhino for its horn due to superstition or sheer idiocy. Couldn't these morons just eat each other and snort fingernail clippings for their keratin fix?