Ektoplazm

Shpongled247

Soo firstly I wanted to just say how incredible it is something like this exists. :)

I'm not sure everyone who uses it realises just how much it benefits the scene, the artists, and of course the listeners.

It's simply astounding what Basilisk has achieved and for that I will buy him a beer or three if I ever meet him. :P

But, the point of this thread is, does anyone know what is happening with the update? I remember donating I think and hopefully something good comes out of it. Can't wait to see what happens in the future!

Also, basilisk if you read this any chance of how many actual hours of music are on there?? :D

Yes, it's more than anyone could ask for...incredible. I donated, but if I'd be honest, 100, 200, even 300 Euros would not have been enough for the benefit I got from that site.

A best of Ekto sampler was released just recently and I'm really looking forward to the coming changes.

Yes, Ektoplazm is.. just unheard of goodness! I haven't dug really far into there and have already snagged a handful of releases. A few years ago I did run across some releases that could be bouhgt if you wanted, so I snagged them since they have CDs pressed.

anywho - well done! I know the music isn't all about the money but definately I wish you all make something off it at least.

But, the point of this thread is, does anyone know what is happening with the update?

I got an email about it on Friday. Sounds like there will be some wider announcements soon.

But, the point of this thread is, does anyone know what is happening with the update? I remember donating I think and hopefully something good comes out of it. Can't wait to see what happens in the future!

I didn't realize you mentioned this until now. Do you mean a site makeover will be happening?

You should all add Ektoplazm on Facebook. they have a lot of really great community discussions there, updates, and more. Ektoplazm is THE REASON why I started reviewing and discovering Psytrance. It has changed my life and I hope to include many aspects of it in future writings. It is one of the best websites i have ever visited.

Ektoplazm is something just great.

There's digital release with high quality files for free, which is great.

It isn't commercial and it sound very good, I like a lot of stuff from there. It contains many Psychedelic genre, such as Ambient, Psytrance, Goa trance and even Psychedelic Techno (just discovered it now, it's cool !).

Guest D N H

Yes, Ektoplazm is a lighthouse in the vast seas of electronic music. A community of creation and innovation.

But much credit deserves also any good artist who donates his creations to the public through the Ektoplazm platform.

Yes, Ektoplazm is a lighthouse in the vast seas of electronic music. A community of creation and innovation.

But much credit deserves also any good artist who donates his creations to the public.

Yes of course, they deserve much respect, then of course this is their choice.

I think now if an artist want to survive with the music he produce without releasing shity full on that look more like electro house than full on, he need to first make free release in order to get some reputation and get known, and than he may start producing commercial release.

Guest D N H

I think now if an artist want to survive with the music he produce without releasing shity full on that look more like electro house than full on, he need to first make free release in order to get some reputation and get known, and than he may start producing commercial release.

More than that, he needs a commercial label to promote his projects, get him highlighted in major "channels" like beatport and book him in big events...

: edit :

More than that, he needs a commercial label to promote his projects and book him in big events...

He indeed will need that ;).

edit : since I learnt "indeed" word only since few days, Im really happy I could place it somewhere :)

Guest D N H

If the music and complete package is good enough, people (including the party organizers aswell) will recognize quality.

How many people of those attending big full-on events are purchasing original physical releases???

I believe they must be much lesser than the digital purchasers. Maybe a wrong estimation?

Without forgetting also of how many are primarily interested in the music..

Said cheesy stuff is (or was, don't know) especially popular in Japan. I attended a party at the Zepp in Tokyo with Astrix, Pixel and some other guys and I couldn't stand it. The music was soooo cheesy and the crowd attending was mainly "overdressed" and either didn't care about the music at all (not that it would have changed anything, as the music was crap), or just raved, but without connection to the music - if you know what I mean. Anyways, sadly there seems to be quite a big market for that kind of cheesy full-on, as the Zepp is one of the biggest venues in Tokyo and it was basically sold out.

On numerous other occasions crappy acts like Perplex, Mad Hatters and so on draw lots of people, where as other acts failed to draw any attention. Cheap, bland, boring full-on = full house.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the warm words expressed here. I regret that I have not been as engaged in these forums as I once was. Ektoplazm owes a lot to the Psynews community and the many discussions that have taken place here!

Soo firstly I wanted to just say how incredible it is something like this exists. :)

I'm not sure everyone who uses it realises just how much it benefits the scene, the artists, and of course the listeners.

It's simply astounding what Basilisk has achieved and for that I will buy him a beer or three if I ever meet him. :P

Also, basilisk if you read this any chance of how many actual hours of music are on there?? :D

I will have to look that up again to be sure. When I was compiling the "best of" project I put absolutely everything into a single playlist and was astounded to see just how much music has passed through the site over the years. Another year or so has passed since I last looked so the total is even higher now... but I don't want to go throwing numbers around without being in the right ballpark :)

So, the update... the best I can say right now is to watch the blog. I have been working behind the scenes since the campaign ended to do the things necessary to ensure the long-term survival of the site (and its transformation into something more modern). Now that the major perks from the crowdfunding campaign have been sent out I will be preparing a proper update explaining what is going on with 2.0 and what to expect in the future. I don't want anyone to think I've abandoned the project, however. In fact, my entire life is organized around making 2.0 possible.

But much credit deserves also any good artist who donates his creations to the public through the Ektoplazm platform.

Absolutely. I never forget that I am simply an intermediary bridging the gap between content creators and consumers. Without the ingenuity of the labels and artists contributing music none of this would be possible.

Anyway, the "best of" compilation is now available to the public; get your copy here :)

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/ektoplazms-greatest-trips