the difference between Japanese women

needle ninja

So often I can't tell one from the other, any time I surf Youtube and stumble upon a Japanese gameshow I think, 'are there more than one'

I think someone living in Japan should post pictures* and point out the differences so that we can see they are not all clones...

*schoolgirl outfits don't help the argument

That sounds pretty stupid and racist right there. Would you feel the same saying that all black people looked the same?

Japanese are a pretty homogenous race where everyone has black hair, dark brown eyes and pale skin but do you really think they all look the same?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not quite sure what you are expecting me to say about the differences though. As you can clearly see all the women look different and you wouldn't easily confuse one for the other. The shapes of their faces are different, their skin has different textures.

That sounds pretty stupid and racist right there.

No it doesn't. It's just a fact that people who don't encounter many people from a given race often find it difficult to tell the faces of people from that race apart, and they can't help that. Getting offended about something someone can't help is ridiculous, it would be like me taking offence when a lesbian doesn't find me attractive.

Well, abasio you do know I was leading you on don't you ???

Thanks for taking the bait though ;) the young girls you posted all have different facial expressions, they are easy to differentiate on that basis alone.

I think all Japanese girls should dye their hair, much easier to tell them apart with purple hair, also I think it looks better for Asians anyway.

Posted Image

^ far better than the same 'ol black Asian hair

Well, I guessed from your last sentence but I never pass up the opportunity to post pictures of girls :)

Thanks for taking the bait though ;) the young girls you posted all have different facial expressions, they are easy to differentiate on that basis alone.

I think all Japanese girls should dye their hair, much easier to tell them apart with purple hair, also I think it looks better for Asians anyway.

Posted Image

^ far better than the same 'ol black Asian hair

Is that a cosplay of Ivy from Soul Calibur? :wub:

Posted Image

This is what I think of as the typical Japanese girl and frankly I'm not too interested in the look.

The homogeneity of looks turns me off generally and searching the web reinforces the stereotype.

White, pasty skin; no muscle tone at all; long, dark hair; and light, feminine clothes are not inspiring to me.

I was hoping for pictures of more unusual looking women in Japan, not just what every Japanese guy finds attractive.

Being 1/4 Japanese, I think I can have a say about this: Japanese people are, since childhood, taught that they have a name and a surname. And that they MUST be, think and behave like every other Japanese. This is essential for what they call "wa" - harmony. What happens then is that a girl will dresses, eats, has a hairdo, says they words - exactly like the group she belongs to does. Once I read they are like a fish school: they're individuals, but they are a huge unit too. And they are proud of that. So, this is the reason if you are in Japan you may think you have crossed with the same girl time after time: they all use the same hair color - according to magazines and TV shows that decide which color will be "hot" that year. They all carry Louis Vuitton bags - God forbid if a girl shows up carrying, say, a Chanel bag while her other 9 friends are all carrying LVs. She will be shunned and ignored.

the same goes for dress style, fashion brands. That goes for everything you can imagine. Japanese women - men too - are taught that if they behave, dress differently from their close peers they can all of a sudden be friendless, be bullied, lose their jobs. There's aa saying it's always said in conversations when this subject (individuality) comes around: "The nail that sticks up must be hammered down".

The saddest side of this "wa" is that when a Japanese person is shunned or bullied by their peers, the only exit they see for this problem is suicide. Amongst the most developed nations, Japan has the highest number of suicidals per 100 thousand inhabitants. Of course there are other factors such as financial bankruptcy, diseases, being very old and alone. Even sadder is that the number has increased year after year.

As you guys can see, being the mirror of one another in Japan is essential for survival. Being different is a privilege for foreigners there.

Being 1/4 Japanese, I think I can have a say about this: Japanese people are, since childhood, taught that they have a name and a surname. And that they MUST be, think and behave like every other Japanese. This is essential for what they call "wa" - harmony. What happens then is that a girl will dresses, eats, has a hairdo, says they words - exactly like the group she belongs to does. Once I read they are like a fish school: they're individuals, but they are a huge unit too. And they are proud of that. So, this is the reason if you are in Japan you may think you have crossed with the same girl time after time: they all use the same hair color - according to magazines and TV shows that decide which color will be "hot" that year. They all carry Louis Vuitton bags - God forbid if a girl shows up carrying, say, a Chanel bag while her other 9 friends are all carrying LVs. She will be shunned and ignored.

the same goes for dress style, fashion brands. That goes for everything you can imagine. Japanese women - men too - are taught that if they behave, dress differently from their close peers they can all of a sudden be friendless, be bullied, lose their jobs. There's aa saying it's always said in conversations when this subject (individuality) comes around: "The nail that sticks up must be hammered down".

The saddest side of this "wa" is that when a Japanese person is shunned or bullied by their peers, the only exit they see for this problem is suicide. Amongst the most developed nations, Japan has the highest number of suicidals per 100 thousand inhabitants. Of course there are other factors such as financial bankruptcy, diseases, being very old and alone. Even sadder is that the number has increased year after year.

As you guys can see, being the mirror of one another in Japan is essential for survival. Being different is a privilege for foreigners there.

umm well it might not be called "wa" in the Western culture but I think that most of what you said is a representation of teenagers fitting into social groups all over the World...

umm well it might not be called "wa" in the Western culture but I think that most of what you said is a representation of teenagers fitting into social groups all over the World...

I agree, though it seems to be enforced harsher over japan.

Well, that's sad IMHO. I like that the Japanese have a group mentality, but I don't like monotony of appearance (or food, or music).

I would probably already be dead if I were born in Japan.

If I were Japanese and had the state of mind like now, I would either be dead or would have gone into one of these buddhistic temples to escape...

But if I really were born in Japan, I wouldn't have that state of mind, would have different education and thoughts ... and would probably be like the others...

Well, that's sad IMHO. I like that the Japanese have a group mentality, but I don't like monotony of appearance (or food, or music).

I would probably already be dead if I were born in Japan.

Yea I would probably be dead as well. I cannot fit into any group. Even psytrance people. All groups are toxic to me.

Something about group consciousness... Although I must say the closest i've ever been to feeling like I "belong" is on the dance floor during a good set.

Yea I would probably be dead as well. I cannot fit into any group. Even psytrance people. All groups are toxic to me.

Something about group consciousness... Although I must say the closest i've ever been to feeling like I "belong" is on the dance floor during a good set.

And, mind you, I illustrated only one side of this "fish school mentality". One day I will write about the side effects of this forced harmony in the most dreadful place in Japan: corporations offices. Once inside an office, you may do yourself a great favor by forgetting who you are, for your own good.